Author Topic: What DT song/suite/album would you use to make a movie?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
What DT song/suite/album would you use to make a movie?
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
Easy,
If you were a movie producer and you had the oportunity to make a movie about any DT song/suite/album.
Which one would you use to be the central element of your movie?
What actors would you use?
I know that a movie about SFAM is an obvious option :biggrin: but let's try to go beyond that.
what about a movie about anna lee, peruvian skies, the dark eternal knight or 6DoIT (song).
go crazy!

Online The Letter M

Re: What DT song/suite/album would you use to make a movie?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
I'd come up with something that borrows from a TON of DT songs, a film about mental illnesses and working with patients in a hospital dealing with those illnesses and disorders. I'd throw in references to "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", "Voices", "Panic Attack", "Constant Motion", "The Enemy Inside", and possibly hints of "Vacant", "Disappear", "A Nightmare To Remember" ("Beautiful Agony" part), and perhaps some of "The Twelve-Step Suite" to deal with alcoholism/addiction. Basically, any song whose lyrics deal with death and illness or disorders would be fair game, even the "Medicate (Awakening)" part of "Octavarium".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
Change of Seasons. It about the loss of Mike Portnoy's mother who died in a plane crash some 30 years ago.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »
Scenes From a Memory. Easiest decision I had to make all day. There is already a story being told and a pretty interesting one at that. I think the album is so good that it deserves a movie.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
Wither. :neverusethis:

Seriously, either TDEN or TCOT. TDEN would be a fun horror movie with monsters and stuff. TCOT would be a weird foreign film about a guy who thinks the crazy Count is going to kill him, with lots of false scares, but then it turns out the whole thing was a misunderstanding and they drink wine and have a good laugh. It would be a glorious film.

In before Priest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »

Stripped of the subject matter, the actual music does have a certain cinematic feel to it, actually. Could always use the stems.

...or the JP vocal demo. :neverusethis:
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 11:48:31 PM »
Hmm, this is an interesting question. I think the DT song that gives off the best vibe to be the inspiration for a film, for me, is Trial of Tears. I don't think it would be possible to make a film just using a song as source material (except for maybe ITPOE or TCOT, but both of those would be pretty strange and probably not-very-good films), but Trial of Tears would make good inspiration for a part of a film.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
I don't think it would be possible to make a film just using a song as source material

I think it could be done if DT (maybe just JR and JP or the whole band, idk) decide to compose more music around that (short or long) song just for the movie. (Or they could also assign the rights of this song to other composer, that would work too)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 05:18:33 AM »
Well, beside SFAM of course, I'd say The Count of Tuscany.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline adamack

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »

"They were on a roll. Until one day, writer's block struck. They tried everything, even Rock Juice. But they still couldn't find the right words...."

Brace yourself. For a movie which the NY Times calls "an epic thrill ride".

James LaBrie. John Petrucci. Mike Portnoy. John Myung. And Jordan Rudess, in...

Wither.

Offline adamack

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »
I like where Marc is going with this. I would probably choose to do something similar, basing the movie off of mental illness.

However, I would aim to use only SDoIT as the soundtrack for it.

The movie would follow along with the idea of the song, taking us into the minds and lives of 6 different characters, all with a different mental illness. Though their illnesses are all different from each other, they would all share a common bond which would cause all of the characters to eventually meet each other.

From there, they'd each discover that their illnesses all have a counterpart which is actually a GIFT, and it would give them each a unique ability which ended up helping them throughout their lives, instead of hindering them.

For example, one of the 6 characters would be autistic, and would discover that he could pick up a guitar for the very first time and play anything. At this part of the movie, one of JP's solos from SDoIT could be playing, but it is actually the autistic guy playing the solo in the movie instead of JP.

Each character would go through a similar discovery in which they determine that their illness has given them a gift, and the movie could end with them all using their own illness against itself, and benefiting from it instead of living in pain from it.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
I wonder if you can write a legit book series, each book must be titled a DT album (in order) and eah chapter must be the name of each song on the album (also in order).  The story line must fit the lyrics as you interpret it. 

I love writing stories, so this might just be a project that I would want to work on for fun.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:36:36 PM »
I would say the 12-step suite or A Mind Beside Itself.  You could do wonders with AMBI and create a character whose mind has been polluted by societal conventions such as religion and how it can leave only the shell of what the person used to be. The movie could track the downfall of said person into a state of unmitigated delusion.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:29:55 AM »
Octavarium, the album. Not because of any lyrical themes, but because of the musical diversity.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin