Author Topic: if I disregard my preconceptions of DT, _______ is actually a good song!  (Read 1635 times)

Offline erwinrafael

ANNA LEE. I fell in love with this song only last year when I listened to it willfully removing preconceptions of what DT music sounds like. Amazing, along the lines of Beth and I'll Never Cry.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: if I disregard my preconceptions of DT, _______ is actually a good song!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:16 AM »
I'll Never Cry.
Anytime Alice Cooper is referenced on DTF it is a good thing! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:17:55 AM »
I'll Never Cry.
I swear, you must be the world's biggest Alice Cooper fan.  I don't know anyone else that even likes him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »
I don't know that there's any DT song that I dislike because it "doesn't sound like DT".

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
I like all of their songs, but one that I struggle through at times because it doesn't sound like them is The Dark Eternal Night.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
I wouldn't say that I ever dislike DT songs for not sounding like DT.

But I would say that there are a lot of middle-range DT songs that I gloss over in favor of the best songs, that are still really good songs. I just forget that when DT has so many better songs.

As an illustrating example, I like Never Enough about as much as I like Stockholm Syndrome, but the former is a middle-range song for DT, whereas the latter is one of my favorite Muse songs.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »
I wouldn't say that I ever dislike DT songs for not sounding like DT.

But I would say that there are a lot of middle-range DT songs that I gloss over in favor of the best songs, that are still really good songs. I just forget that when DT has so many better songs.

As an illustrating example, I like Never Enough about as much as I like Stockholm Syndrome, but the former is a middle-range song for DT, whereas the latter is one of my favorite Muse songs.

Yeah, pretty much this. There are only a couple DT songs I really don't like, but the bottom couple dozen others obviously don't get much play given how much more I like the rest of the discography. But if, say, AROP or IWBY came on the radio, I'd enjoy them more than most other songs that happen to come on.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
I think Just Let Me Breathe fits into this category pretty well.

Pretty much since I heard it for the first time, I've always considered it to be in the lowest tier of DT songs. And I still think this is justified - for a DT song, there's nothing at all special about it.

HOWEVER, when listened to it purely on it's own merits, as if it were by any other band - something about it just kicks so much ass.

It's been a staple in my workout playlist for a good 5-6 years. Very few songs get me pumped the way this one does... especially the version from Live Scenes.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
I'll Never Cry.
I swear, you must be the world's biggest Alice Cooper fan.  I don't know anyone else that even likes him.

I like Alice Cooper.  Enough to know to the correct title of the song is "I Never Cry".

(sorry)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »
I don't know that there's any DT song that I dislike because it "doesn't sound like DT".

Ditto. I always just judge music for what it is, not what I think it should be
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
Had a listen to two songs I can't stand; Prophets Of War, and I Walk Beside You. Yep I could live the rest of my life just fine if I didn't hear those atrocities again.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »
I find that I more often dislike a song cause it sounds too much like DT. i.e. it uses a formula that's too predictable and somewhat forced.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods