Author Topic: Took me only 22 years, but I finally got the reference  (Read 3639 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Took me only 22 years, but I finally got the reference
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:54 PM »
MP mentions it in the audio commentary for the Live in Tokyo DVD :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
OMG, I knew that bit sounded familiar in TLF but I could never pinpoint it! Cool find. :biggrin:

There are other references in JPs solos, like the Once in a Livetime guitar solo was filled with Liquid Tension refferences, and even the bass and drums come in. But no keyboard...  ::)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:19:51 PM »
OMG, I knew that bit sounded familiar in TLF but I could never pinpoint it! Cool find. :biggrin:

There are other references in JPs solos, like the Once in a Livetime guitar solo was filled with Liquid Tension refferences, and even the bass and drums come in. But no keyboard...  ::)

Listening to that solo now, and I'm fairly certain JM doesn't play. It's just JP and MP doing a duet of the opening bits of "Paradigm Shift". Any low-notes you hear are either the bass drums or JP's lower strings on his guitar.

JP has also played on some of MP's drum solos, typically doing covers of various songs together. I guess this was MP's way of thanking JP back for all the guitar parts he covered in his drum solos.

So yeah, no keyboards AND no bass. Just JP and MP jamming away at their then-recently released new album's opening song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:24:02 PM »
That JP solo reminds me: I hope the afterlife is just one long Petrucci solo.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:01:34 PM »

Listening to that solo now, and I'm fairly certain JM doesn't play. It's just JP and MP doing a duet of the opening bits of "Paradigm Shift". Any low-notes you hear are either the bass drums or JP's lower strings on his guitar.

JP has also played on some of MP's drum solos, typically doing covers of various songs together. I guess this was MP's way of thanking JP back for all the guitar parts he covered in his drum solos.

So yeah, no keyboards AND no bass. Just JP and MP jamming away at their then-recently released new album's opening song.

-Marc.

Correct - MP just came out during JP's solo - I actually remember seeing that happen when I saw them on that tour. Since neither JM nor DS had anything to do with LTE, it didn't make sense for either of them to play on the excerpt of the song.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 02:22:45 AM »
Wow, I had never actually watched that live version of To live forever, that was a fantastic reference. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 07:22:20 AM »
Was that not from Live in Tokyo?  It's been a while.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:23 AM »
Was that not from Live in Tokyo?  It's been a while.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »
Maybe because I was exposed to it as the first, but it remains my favorite JP improvisation. That jazz stuff in the middle is just brilliant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »
Yeah, this is pretty awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:08:10 AM »
I can't believe you guys didn't notice that before. The full Beatles' discography is mandatory for every music lover. They invented everything before anyone. Best band ever existed. Truly unbeatable. IMHO.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 11:23:58 AM »
I love The Beatles and consider myself not quite an expert, but at the very least well-versed in Beatles lore.  Still, their Eastern-influenced stuff is easily the least interesting to me.  It is literally where the term "monotonous" comes from.  Single tonality all the way through.  Pretty much bores the shit out of me.

That's my favorite Petrucci solo, and I liked the pentatonic in the citation above, and maybe it sounded familiar, but I didn't realize it was a quote from "Within You Without You" because (a) I usually skip that track and (b) it could easily have been any generic pentatonic riff.  They all sound the same.

I was just surprised that Mladen said he'd never seen it before, since it's from their first (and in some ways, still best) officially released concert video.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
+1 on that the Eastern-influenced Beatles are total throwaways.
When John Lennon picked up the sitar the first time, this should have happened:

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
Maybe because I was exposed to it as the first, but it remains my favorite JP improvisation. That jazz stuff in the middle is just brilliant.

Same for me.  This solo has not been topped in my opinion.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
I didn't realize it was a quote from "Within You Without You" because (a) I usually skip that track and (b) it could easily have been any generic pentatonic riff.
Thing is, this had been listed in the tourography since forever, so did any of you (not just Orbert) who didn't realize this WYWY teaser not ever look at the tourography? Just strikes me as hard to believe that it was missed all this time. Now the link between RtK and YNM is a different story, but I digress..
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »
Setlist Scotty, I think you forget that we're not, um, Setlist Scotty :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
Scotty, you're awesome and perform a valuable service... for others.  I've never read the tourography.  Where a band has played, what songs they played, and on what nights, is just part of a band's history that I don't dig into.  I know that many do, and that's fine.  It's also possible that I've misunderstood what the tourography is all this time.

I didn't realize that tidbits like musical quotes are included in the notes, but I guess it doesn't surprise me, especially if it's a rather comprehensive document.  But again, I've never read it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
I can't believe you guys didn't notice that before. The full Beatles' discography is mandatory for every music lover. 

I've been listening to Sgt. Pepper since 1980 (when I was 6-7), and I never caught this nod to Within You, Without You until it was pointed out on here a few years ago.  I just never caught it, although I have long pimped that solo section as being totally awesome (I had a thread specifically about it years ago).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 08:48:16 PM »
I can't believe you guys didn't notice that before. The full Beatles' discography is mandatory for every music lover. They invented everything before anyone. Best band ever existed. Truly unbeatable. IMHO.

No.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »
Same here.  Blonde moment for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 05:31:03 AM »
+1 on that the Eastern-influenced Beatles are total throwaways.
When John Lennon picked up the sitar the first time, this should have happened:

I'm pretty sure that the one who picked up the sitar was George Harrison.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 06:01:28 AM »
I love those Eastern influences Harrison brought to the table, especially Within you without you and Love you to. Brilliant stuff.  ;D

Calvin6s

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »
I noticed it live, but I just thought "Beatles Song", not the actual title (because I'm lousy with titles).  I saw it in print, probably on a bootleg, shortly thereafter.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 05:55:30 AM »

No.

+1 Blob.