Author Topic: Dream Theater 'Breaking The Fourth Wall' Review...  (Read 7443 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Dream Theater 'Breaking The Fourth Wall' Review...
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:09 AM »
Thanks guys, I've always intended to buy it but have kept putting it off because of the reviews I've seen.
I haven't seen any bad reviews.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
Thanks guys, I've always intended to buy it but have kept putting it off because of the reviews I've seen.
I haven't seen any bad reviews.

Actually, neither have I.  That thought was kind of nagging me since I read his first post.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »
Never listen to reviewers or what us knuckleheads say online.  Listen for yourself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AllanM

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
This is one that I'd seen :

ANOTHER title butchered by the talentless engineer Richard Chycki
By Paul M. Keenan - 7 Oct. 2014
Unfortunately Chycki has made a mess of this like he did to the 4 Live Rush Blu Rays. The only way to change this is to complain. Let him know(he and Petrucci are on twitter). The performance is irrelevant if the sound is bad, which in this case it is
And the things that we fear are a weapon to be used against us.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
I don't know who that is.

But it sounds pretty good, so he's full of shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 01:04:08 PM »
Dude, he's Paul M. Keenan.  I don't know about you, but I have never seen anyone outside of this thread challenge anything Paul M. Keenan says.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AllanM

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
😂 ^^^^^ as I said I always intended to buy it and after reading the comments since I asked the question means it will be sooner rather than later.
And the things that we fear are a weapon to be used against us.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »
BTFW sounds great and the visuals are stunning as well. The keyboards and drums are louder than usual (for DT, that is), which really suited me, since those are what I care about the most. MM's kick drum is HUGE! I used to watch the shit out of Live at Budokan when I first got it, but I had even more fun with this one. My biggest gripe is that the rhythm guitar is muddy (I miss JP's Budokan/ToT tone) and the overall sound sometimes has too much reverb (which, on the flip side, contributes to a live feel).

For me, BTFW was a breath of fresh air after the disappointment which was LALP, with its weak drums, buried keys and aesthetically unpleasing visuals.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 01:13:31 AM »
I have not been a huge fan of Chycki's mixes with DT (mostly DT12 and LALP, the XMas release was ok), but BTFW sounds great.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 02:47:43 AM »
Did they overcompensate with BTFW when it comes to JP's guitars? Because it is quite low, especially the rhythm parts.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 03:05:28 AM »
Did they overcompensate with BTFW when it comes to JP's guitars? Because it is quite low, especially the rhythm parts.

I always find JP's live rhythm sound very tinny -not enough bottom end to match the heaviness of the riffs.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Skeever

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »
I have not been a huge fan of Chycki's mixes with DT (mostly DT12 and LALP, the XMas release was ok), but BTFW sounds great.

I think it sounds OK. Not great, but certainly not as bad as other mixes from him. And there's an HD tracks version which seems like it sounds very good.

Also, come on guys, grow some skin. The album has like 4.5/5 stars out of hundreds of votes. A handful of people who hate the way it sounds are what you're going to focus on?

Nothing makes *everyone* happy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 05:40:54 AM »
We're just offering our opinions because a new member was on the fence about buying it based on the sound quality, which most of us agree is good. Doesn't bother me what other people think of it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 06:44:48 AM »
Dude, he's Paul M. Keenan.  I don't know about you, but I have never seen anyone outside of this thread challenge anything Paul M. Keenan says.
I ain't skeerd

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 06:55:49 AM »
I dont understand, DT released Stange Deja Vu on youtube for promotion of the video/album.  Take a watch and judge for yourself.  I think it's fantastic and I think the overwhelming majority of DT fans really loved this release.

Offline WhatsAnOwlVent

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 08:52:52 PM »
I dont understand, DT released Stange Deja Vu on youtube for promotion of the video/album.  Take a watch and judge for yourself.  I think it's fantastic and I think the overwhelming majority of DT fans really loved this release.

I've actually heard very few complaints outside of this forum and my wife.

:)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
I don't know who that is.

But it sounds pretty good, so he's full of shit.

I think it sounds OK, but I don't like what Petrucci has done to his guitar sound.   The effects need to be dialed back several notches.   I wish he'd go directly back to whatever he was using when he recorded the first LTE album.