Author Topic: "Without album X, would DT still exist?"  (Read 3944 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"Without album X, would DT still exist?"
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
Thought this could be an interesting thread. What albums do you think, had they not existed, would have become a show-stopper to their career?
The two obvious ones would of course be IAW and SFAM. Definitely IAW I think, since that gave DT a lot of momentum after a totally lackluster start with WDADU. Another WDADU and they probably wouldn't have stuck with it for long. SFAM, I don't know. They had a decent track record at that point, and they probably would have trudged on. Maybe not until now, but definitely for a while.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: "Without album X, would DT still exist?"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »
I definitely think they COULD have carried on without SFAM (I mean, it's one of my least favourites, so yeah) and I think they still would have gained a strong following and probably wouldn't be in a hugely different position to where they are now.

However, I think SFAM was really important to them in terms of taking control and choosing their own direction. I know some people don't like the path that has taken them down in musical terms, but I have no doubt it's helped they're enjoyment of making music and desire to keep doing it. In turn, I imagine this has contributed to their work ethic and is a contributing factor to their success.

TL;DR version: Dunno, maybe.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »
I think that if SFAM wouldn't have been received as well as it did not only from the fans but internally with the band.....that MP would have jumped ship back then. Around that time is when he really dialed up his side projects (or mistresses to continue the hated marriage analogy) and I think had SFAM flopped or been just another 'blah' DT Record (in his eyes) he'd have found a reason to leave them high and dry then. You could file this in the other thread as well...the crazy DT theory one. It's just my opinion but I think a lot of what we saw from MP....the over involvment in the band process....the over availability to 'us'.....it was just a way for him to make it 'worth' him sticking around.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
I actually agree that while the rest of DT would have been fine with going on (as much as they were fine going on without MP many years later), MP really disliked FII and all it entailed, and had SFAM been a flop, that might have pushed him over the edge.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
I'm not sure why that is even speculation.  That is pretty much what he said more than a few times.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
You pretty much exhausted every possible discussion in the OP. Whatever MP said, after I&W and Pull Me Under, there was no stopping this band.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:23:04 AM »
I'll argue that LAB was a huge release for DT. It's timing was spot on in regards to people starting to watch videos of bands on the internet. I'm not saying they would have faded away without it, but I think it definitely boosted the success/popularity of the band.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »
I guess it's a good discussion what SFaM did for them other than they gained control of the band back. It sold OK but not great
so they didn't set the world on fire from a units-sold standpoint. The shows were attended well but not really significantly better
than the FII tour. So on the whole I think SFaM was more important for the band internally rather than externally. I would concede
though that there were a subset of fans that came back after SFaM that may have never come back. The fans that were
scratching their heads after FII.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »
I think without ADTOE, DT would no longer exist. If they had taken a break with an undefined ending like MP suggested, I don't think they'd regain the momentum to continue playing.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:55:30 PM »
Interesting note which came to my mind after reading latest post:

In this year it's been five years since MP departure. MP suggested five-year-break so if they had chosen the break DT11 would perhaps be on the way right now...

Time flies.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 03:48:16 AM »
I guess it's a good discussion what SFaM did for them other than they gained control of the band back. It sold OK but not great
so they didn't set the world on fire from a units-sold standpoint. The shows were attended well but not really significantly better
than the FII tour. So on the whole I think SFaM was more important for the band internally rather than externally. I would concede
though that there were a subset of fans that came back after SFaM that may have never come back. The fans that were
scratching their heads after FII.

....which is strange in retrospect as I feel a lot of love for FII round these parts. I loved it when it came out so I never got the negativity towards it.

That said, Scenes was so well received by everyone and was an album you could show to your friends that they might like. I remember getting 4 or 5 of my friends to go watch DT on the Scenes tour and they really enjoyed the show.

Off topic slightly, but I wonder what might have happened had the Rev not sadly died. MP wouldn't have gone to A7X and may not have felt in a strong enough position to ask for the hiatus.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Off topic slightly, but I wonder what might have happened had the Rev not sadly died. MP wouldn't have gone to A7X and may not have felt in a strong enough position to ask for the hiatus.

My personal opinion just based off of comments/actions both before and after MP jumped ship is that he was looking for a way out or 'excuse' to do so for a while. Just my observation....could be way off but I think he put way more effort into his side projects and kind of 'mailed in' his last couple DT efforts. I could be wrong....just what I think. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 12:09:50 PM »

My personal opinion just based off of comments/actions both before and after MP jumped ship is that he was looking for a way out or 'excuse' to do so for a while. Just my observation....could be way off but I think he put way more effort into his side projects and kind of 'mailed in' his last couple DT efforts. I could be wrong....just what I think.

I remember watching an episode of That Metal Show with Mike Portnoy right after he left the band. He said the tour with A7X was a part of it because he was having more fun with them than he had been having with DT for a few years. He also said he was at a party with guys like Eddie Trunk and Chris Jericho who he considers to be very good friends and realized that the guys in DT had never met them. He had a whole part of his life that the other four members weren't a part of and he was starting to feel the distance growing between them. I don't know how much of that was just excuse making and how much was true, but what happened after brings me to my next and on topic point.

Had A Dramatic Turn of Events not done well, Dream Theater may have had to call it quits or take time off. Losing Mike was a big deal because of how much he did for the band, and had the first album without him been a failure, the band may have thought that they couldn't do it without him. Obviously that didn't happen with many people (including myself) considering it one of their best albums and commercially it did well with the Grammy nomination. The success of ADTOE showed the band and the fans that they would be just fine without Mike Portnoy.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

That's actually the funniest thing you've posted on this website.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »

its also quite relevant.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 02:28:48 AM »

its also quite relevant.

Yah, it's what I thought the thread was going to be about :lol

I agree with Chino, I feel like Budokan, and in particular the Instrumedley plays/ed a big part in boosting DT's popularity in the internet age.  the Instrumedley is still my favourite DT live performance to watch - I could watch it over and over and not tire.  I think I'll watch it now actually.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 04:03:59 AM »
I agree with Chino, I feel like Budokan, and in particular the Instrumedley plays/ed a big part in boosting DT's popularity in the internet age.  the Instrumedley is still my favourite DT live performance to watch - I could watch it over and over and not tire.  I think I'll watch it now actually.
I second that. My piano teacher gave me Live at Budokan when it first came out. I was 15 and into classic prog, so popping it in and hearing As I Am and This Dying Soul wasn't really up my street, so I easily dismissed DT like so many other bands with the "today's bands are shit" label I so easily jumped to back then. Since keyboards were my thing, I also remember fast forwarding to Jordan's solo with anticipation and being woefully disappointed how his lead imitated a guitar. "If he's just gonna sound like a guitar player, what's the point of having a keyboardist?" - I was thinking back then and I still think it's a valid point regarding Jordan's ToT-era lead sound.

Instrumedley, however, just amazed me and I kept coming back to it totally ignoring the rest of the DVD. Whenever I had music aficionado friends over, I'd show it to them and they'd be floored as well. I also perpetually had it on my MP3 player and I even set Jordan's ragtime piano solo as my ringtone for years. When I finally got into DT several years later, it was an incredibly interesting experience to gradually discover the original songs which were featured in Instrumedley, to hear familiar sections amidst a plethora of unfamiliar ones (especially rewarding in the case of ACoS and Metropolis). 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:38 AM »
I think without the LTE albums, DT most likely would have sounded very different from what the band currently sounds. The LTE albums brought a different writing style to the band, brought a different keyboard member and re-inspired the band. I do not know, however, if the band would currently exist. I personally think they would have called it quits without the LTE albums because, IIRC, FII was a commercial failure from the label's point of view.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »
than the FII tour. So on the whole I think SFaM was more important for the band internally rather than externally.
Exactly - according to these sales figures from February 2002, SFAM sold less than FII in the US: https://www.metalsludge.tv/?p=30356
Dream Theater "Falling Into Infinity"    
Dream Theater "Scenes From A Memory"    
Although commercially speaking SFAM was an even bigger "flop", I think the reception it got was encouraging enough for the band.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »
I can't say the band wouldn't have survived if this hadn't happened, but after SFaM, I would have to say that the two periods of time when they put out albums that were hits just when they needed them the most were in 2005 with Octavarium, and again in 2011 with A Dramatic Turn of events.

It seems there wasn't that much enthusiasm for Train of Thought, Systematic Chaos and BC&SL, but things picked up again in both 2005 and 2011. I'm not sure about Six Degrees, sales-wise, and I'm also not sure how all of the other albums I've named did in comparison to each other, but the general impression that I get on here (DT Forum) is that if those two albums hadn't been what they were and come along when they did, the band might have suffered severe financial losses, and maybe even have failed completely. same with SHaM, of course.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
than the FII tour. So on the whole I think SFaM was more important for the band internally rather than externally.
Exactly - according to these sales figures from February 2002, SFAM sold less than FII in the US: https://www.metalsludge.tv/?p=30356
Dream Theater "Falling Into Infinity"    
Dream Theater "Scenes From A Memory"    
Although commercially speaking SFAM was an even bigger "flop", I think the reception it got was encouraging enough for the band.

Once you factor in that the record label wouldn't have spent as much between music videos and advertising and and outside producers and songwriters, they probably still came out on top. It proved that they could still sell albums on their own terms with little help from the label.
They obviously weren't shifting IaW numbers, but they had built a strong fanbase that would consistently buy the albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »
SFAM was a landmark. They came from an album that they didn't even like and they felt burned-out and stripped of their creative liberties. Exploring their true sound with SFAM totally revitalized the band in my opinion. They discovered that their creative processes were better if only revised and discussed with themselves, and that was something that made them grow as a band and as a way to discover their sound. And of course, JR.

The other one is ADToE. They seemed tired in SC and BC&SL, and in my opinion becoming formulaic and predictable in their style and the way they released their albums. ADToE changed that and made them explore new forms of recording and song structures. It also made them regain old fans that had gone out of touch or had become tired of their recent albums. Had they agreed with MP and gone on hiatus and/or let him stay in the band I don't think they would be the band they are nowadays. Maybe they would have gotten tired like MP got. We'll never know.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »
I say I&W was the make it or break it album. They just hired JLB, and if that didn't work, then I'm not sure how they would've recovered from that. The other significant album was ADTOE die to it being the first album after MP's departure.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 05:58:32 AM »
It seems there wasn't that much enthusiasm for Train of Thought

Yes there was

SFAM was a landmark. They came from an album that they didn't even like and they felt burned-out and stripped of their creative liberties.

I'm sure the bands negativity towards FII is a bit of a misconception. There's only been MP that was vocal about his dislike for how the album turned out. Yet even he concedes that there are some really strong songs on it.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »
SFAM was a landmark. They came from an album that they didn't even like and they felt burned-out and stripped of their creative liberties.

I'm sure the bands negativity towards FII is a bit of a misconception. There's only been MP that was vocal about his dislike for how the album turned out. Yet even he concedes that there are some really strong songs on it.

And that the production was great. I think his frustration was more with the overall period of treatment from the label (waiting a long time to start the album, then the meddling, etc.) and how it felt to go through it, rather than thinking the actual resulting album was poor.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
I'll argue that LAB was a huge release for DT. It's timing was spot on in regards to people starting to watch videos of bands on the internet. I'm not saying they would have faded away without it, but I think it definitely boosted the success/popularity of the band.
To give further value to this, As I Am from LAB was one of the first clips of the band I ever saw on Youtube
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »
I'm not sure whether it's been stated above but I'll go with FII. The ideas they kinda laid down in FII's making progress led them to create an album that we all know and love. If that album hadn't been produced back in 1997, I think we wouldn't be talking out here about this topic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »
I'm not sure whether it's been stated above but I'll go with FII. The ideas they kinda laid down in FII's making progress led them to create an album that we all know and love. If that album hadn't been produced back in 1997, I think we wouldn't be talking out here about this topic.
That album was almost their downfall.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »

But one might think that they needed that album and cause that downfall so that they become stronger and learn from mistakes and rise again for future albums.  I wouldn't think they could have created Scenes From a Memory as great as it is without how FII was regarded.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 12:54:21 AM »
I'm not sure why that is even speculation.  That is pretty much what he said more than a few times.

Exactly this.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:36 AM »

But one might think that they needed that album and cause that downfall so that they become stronger and learn from mistakes and rise again for future albums.  I wouldn't think they could have created Scenes From a Memory as great as it is without how FII was regarded.

That's basically what I had in mind, the creating process of FII also led the way to SFAM. FII demos has the track called 'Metropolis Pt. 2", and it's basically the stem of the whole album.