Author Topic: Which classic bands can you just not get into?  (Read 5849 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Which classic bands can you just not get into?
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
 With a few of these bands, I find that if you didnīt listen to them while growing up, itīs hard to get into them now. I started listening to AC/DC when I was 9 or 10 years old, and they sounded like the greatest thing on the planet: they had bells, cannons, an inflatable hooker on stage...how can you beat that? Oh wait, Maiden has a monster who walks on stage and fights the singer and the guitar player! That was part of the appeal when I was that young, and while I think itīs rather silly now, I still listen to those bands a lot because of growing up listening to them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »

KISS - actors with instruments

Have you seen Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park Johnny?  You'd take this statement back. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2015, 07:26:17 AM »
Actors, they are not.  I respect that fact that a lot of people don't like Kiss and I get it to a degree, but to completely dismiss them as musicians because they have an act that's bigger than the eruption of Krakatoa doesn't really make sense to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2015, 07:49:28 AM »
You know, sometimes I watch a movie for the dialogue and other just to see stuff blow up.

Kiss fills my blow up stuff side.  Some people don't want to let people know that like that stuff but I do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2015, 08:08:04 AM »
KISS can definitely be fun, but by and large, there isn't much depth there.

But it's OK, because I don't always want depth.  Sometimes I just want fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »
KISS doesn't satiate any part of my musical appetite. I get how they were influential, but I can't stand to listen to them. Even if I wanted something to listen to just for funzies (a la "blowing shit up"), they wouldn't do much for me.

I actually think that one's by far the worst of The Beatles' good era. It ends with possibly their best song, but the rest of the album is really boring.  :\

I'd call the rest of Sgt. Pepper's incredibly consistent if nothing else.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »
Kiss' Unplugged album proves that they can sound good without blowing up stuff.

IF you already like Kiss.  I would never expect Unplugged or Alive 1 or Revenge or ANY OTHER Kiss album to appeal to the person who's already made up their mind about Kiss.  And most of the time, that opinion is based on having heard a handful of songs like Rock and Roll All Nite or Detroit Rock City or Beth.  I can understand that, because I'm really not even a fan of those songs anymore.

I've had similar experiences with bands that haven't been around nearly as long as Kiss has.  For example, I went into the Arcade Fire thread and said "I hear a lot about these guys, give me some suggestions".  I listened to the suggestions.

No thanks.  And it's pretty much like that for 99% of the music that is popular on DTF.  If it was that or silence, I'll opt for silence.

EDIT: And by the way, that post wasn't necessarily aimed at you, but in general.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:12:09 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »
Not liking the Beatles is fine but to say they weren't creative is pretty silly.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »
Not liking the Beatles is fine but to say they weren't creative is pretty silly.

Pretty much.  I can understand not liking them, I didn't care much for them growing up at all, now they'd probably be my favourite band.

Like Zantera said, most of them, specially The Beatles. I find their music incredibly predictable and dull.

I respect your right to your opinion but this statement blows my mind.  Have you ever heard Happiness is a Warm Gun from the white album?  Its pretty... unpredictable on first listen. 
I think I've listened to the white album, but can't remember that specific song. Tried with Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, that one, and Abbey road. Nothing, they're not my cup of tea - I prefer more creative songwritings styles.

What would you consider more creative?  Just out of interest.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »
More creative is the worst adjective you could use describing the Beatles. They were the definition of creative in their generation.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
Are we just talking about Classic Rock bands? Or classic as in 25+ years old regadless of the genre?

Because if it's the latter, I'd say Destruction and Exodus, and Slayer to some extent. Thrash Metal is insanely repetitive most of the times and it tends to repeat riffs every now and then. Oh, look, it's that riff that's similar with the one in the previous album. Wow, those are anti-religion lyrics. And here comes the dissonant solo by Kerry King. Oh, the next song isn't fast but it tries to be heavy, I see. Seriously though, Slayer has some great songs, but most of it is really stale.

I also don't know how to get into Early Pink Floyd (Pre-Meddle). It's not that I dislike it, it's just that... Well, I don't find them as good as their mid-later works.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »
For Thrash, yeah, I'd have to go with Slayer and Destruction.  Kreator and Sodom are WAY better than Destruction as far as German Thrash goes.  Slayer is just a muddled mess of noise.  Slayer shouldn't even be in the Big 4 (neither should Anthrax, but they're still good).  The Big 4 should be:

Metallica
Megadeth
Exodus
Kreator

Check these out.

Exodus:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IebbyCAU2YA 

Kreator:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcstjQ-WuVU

You can also make an argument for Overkill.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:51:33 PM by npiazza91 »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
For Thrash, yeah, I'd have to go with Slayer and Destruction.  Kreator and Sodom are WAY better than Destruction as far as German Thrash goes.  Slayer is just a muddled mess of noise.  Slayer shouldn't even be in the Big 4 (neither should Anthrax, but they're still good).  The Big 4 should be:

Metallica
Megadeth
Exodus
Kreator

Want proof? 

Sodom is undoubtedly the best German thrash metal band ever. I don't really know what makes them so different but the sheer agressiveness of their music somehow never gets old. Kreator has some things here and there, like that song you posted and some songs of Extreme Aggression and Enemy of God, but sometimes it also gets a bit tiring to my ears.

Oh, and Testament is also a great band. I think that's because of both Chuck Billy's vocals and Alex Skolnick (The albums with James Murphy also kick a lot of ass however).

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »
I can live with that, Sodom's awesome.  I think the main thing that pits Kreator above them for me is that fact that Kreator never really did Death Metal.  I personally can't stand Death Metal.  Death Metal paved the way directly to Metalcore and we wouldn't have half the crappy bands today without it.

Eh...I guess you can say that about any genre, really.  But I just think Death Metal loses a lot of the "metal" that makes Thrash and Heavy Metal in general, awesome.  "Metal" isn't just about how heavy it is.

But yeah, I can't stand about 1/4 of Sodom's albums, because they're straight up Black/Death Metal.  Kreator walked a fine line, but their primary focus on every album was thrash.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:01 PM »

Metallica
Megadeth
Exodus
Kreator

Check these out.

You can also make an argument for Overkill.
The big 4 isn't really about quality though as much as it's about popularity and influence.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2015, 12:04:04 AM »

KISS - actors with instruments

Have you seen Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park Johnny?  You'd take this statement back. :lol

I completely forgot I posted in this thread.  So King, bad actors with instruments?   ;)     

I was a KISS fan years ago but it was more for entertainment purposes and not for their musicianship.  Gene Simmons put it best.  He said there are entertainers and there are musicians and KISS are entertainers.  I forgot which home video he said that on but he's right.  I just got bored with their music and look back now wondering what appealed to me in the first place.  I'll listen to bands for reasons other than their musical ability but it's rare. Time is precious these days. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:34 AM »
Once you look past the pyros and makeup, KISS's music still holds up as great catchy hard rock music. My favourite KISS album is when they weren't even wearing the makeup, because that's not what's important to me, but they've always been great performers even without the costumes and explosions, and the music has always held up.

Gene is admittedly not focused on being the best musician, but at his best he was actually a pretty good vocalist, and wrote a lot of very memorable melodic basslines, Paul is a hugely underrated frontman and vocalist and solid guitarist, and even Paul and Ace were good back in the '70s and no worse than their musical peers (but shit from the reunion onwards), and the major replacements they've had since have been a musician first, especially Kulick. The Revenge lineup was just a fantastic rock band.

I couldn't care less what a band looks like or does on stage when I'm listening to music, but KISS' music still hasn't gotten boring to me after all this time. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:02 AM »
With the exception of maybe 2 or 3 songs, I can not get into The Who at all.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2015, 12:04:13 PM »
I can live with that, Sodom's awesome.  I think the main thing that pits Kreator above them for me is that fact that Kreator never really did Death Metal.  I personally can't stand Death Metal.  Death Metal paved the way directly to Metalcore and we wouldn't have half the crappy bands today without it.

Eh...I guess you can say that about any genre, really.  But I just think Death Metal loses a lot of the "metal" that makes Thrash and Heavy Metal in general, awesome.  "Metal" isn't just about how heavy it is.

But yeah, I can't stand about 1/4 of Sodom's albums, because they're straight up Black/Death Metal.  Kreator walked a fine line, but their primary focus on every album was thrash.

Funniest lyric in the history of black metal - "My life begins at midnight twelve, masterbate to kill myself." - Blasphemer by Sodom.    I'll never forget how hard my cousin and I laughed when we heard that song for the first time.    Not even Venom was ever so ridiculous.   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
For me
The Doors....really dislike this band
GnR...never understood why people seemed to lose their minds when Appetite came out. Ugh.
Nirvana...no thanks.
Hendrix...not a fan.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
For me
The Doors....really dislike this band
GnR...never understood why people seemed to lose their minds when Appetite came out. Ugh.
Nirvana...no thanks.
Hendrix...not a fan.
I'm definitely with you on Hendrix and The Doors. Nivana too, but I was a GnR fan back in the day. Appetite is a great album. The ultimate "air drum" album. It rocks pretty good, and there wasn't much else like what they were doing at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol