Author Topic: Which classic bands can you just not get into?  (Read 5852 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Which classic bands can you just not get into?
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 02:01:17 PM »
Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
Guns n' Roses: One of the most overrated bands of all time  Seriously, they have 1 DECENT album.  Why was everyone so surprised when Chinese Democracy came out and everyone agreed the wait wasn't worth it? Hm...perhaps GnR just wasn't as "great" as you remembered?

Yeah, the fact that the album was delayed multiple times and there was a lot of line-up changes, in between those 13 years or whatever it took to create Chinese Democracy, has nothing to do with that.   ::)  That said, AFD was a tremendous album from start to finish.  But I just could not get into any too many songs from the Use Your Illusion albums, especially November Rain.  I despise that song.  Chinese Democracy had some good moments and if it was released a lot earlier and was under a different name, the backlash would not have been that bad.

Anywho, classic bands that I could not get into?  I don't know.  I haven't really dived into too many classic bands catalogs in full aside from Rush and Led Zeppelin (and I love those guys).  I can say that I'm not too fond of the thrash bands (aside from Metallica, but I'm mainly a casual fan at best, even though I did see three live streams of them, last year) or the glam/hair metal bands and I just can't seem to find enough personal investment to get into Black Sabbath or Pink Floyd.

First of all, I love your avatar, it's adorable.  Beagles are my favorite dog breed.  Anyway...there was one song on CD that I actually loved.  Shackler's Revenge.  it doesn't even sound like a GNR song at all.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
^^ It's actually a pembroke welsh corgi.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
It actually holds for quite a few bands. Drunk Metallica >>>>> sober Metallica.

Actually this theory holds no water when you consider that James got sober After Load & Reload - which are grouped in with TEH SHIT0RZ!!!! with St. Anger.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »
^^ It's actually a pembroke welsh corgi.

Da Iawn i ti ! :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »
I probably wouldn't call them "classic" but the've been around 20 years so that's classic enough for me.

Foo Fighters, just do not like them at all. And way overplayed on the radio.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
I probably wouldn't call them "classic" but the've been around 20 years so that's classic enough for me.

Foo Fighters are alright.  I don't dig the commercical rock style, but Grohl is a very talented musician and their music does have talent in it, sometimes it's just hiding beneath the radio friendly songs.  I don't like or dislike them...they're ok.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Rolling Stones are THE band I just can't get my head around. I always hated The Beatles but finally saw the light when I was 20-21 years old.

Iron Maiden. I'll never get it I'm afraid. I grew up on Metallica. That's my idea of 'badass'. For vintage rock 'n roll I'll turn to Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, and for more 'pure' metal I'll spin some Black Sabbath or Rainbow. And of the NWOBHM bands I definitely prefer Judas Priest, although I don't really care for them anyway. Maybe NWOBHM is just not my thing, despite Metallica being hugely influenced by those bands.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:18 PM »
Rolling Stones are THE band I just can't get my head around. I always hated The Beatles but finally saw the light when I was 20-21 years old.

Iron Maiden. I'll never get it I'm afraid. I grew up on Metallica. That's my idea of 'badass'. For vintage rock 'n roll I'll turn to Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, and for more 'pure' metal I'll spin some Black Sabbath or Rainbow. And of the NWOBHM bands I definitely prefer Judas Priest, although I don't really care for them anyway. Maybe NWOBHM is just not my thing, despite Metallica being hugely influenced by those bands.

Hm...coming from a heavy metal background already and speaking of "badass", here's a few songs you should check out.  Where Eagles Dare, Powerslave, Wasted Years, Fear of the Dark for early stuff.  For later stuff check out The Wicker Man, Brighter Than  A Thousand Suns, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, The Final Frontier and Eldorado.

I should also mention that Iron Maiden was the band that got me into Dream Theater.  There's a lot of prog elements in their music and once you get past his voice (if that's what is bothering you), you'll find Maiden to be an amazing band.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:24:47 PM by npiazza91 »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »
In terms of modern classics, it may not mean much to many DTFers, but My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is just garbage. And I was almost completely indifferent to Arcade Fire when I tried them out.

4. The Grateful Dead - Never understood the attraction....  I know maybe one or 2 of their songs.  I'll classify it as "Put my ass to sleep" music

I didn't knew this was the "bash classic bands you just can't get into" thread  :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:39:02 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
Drugged up Beatles is ok. Sober Beatles, ugh.

Aww, but even a lot of that stuff has grown on me.

As for stuff I could never get into, definitely The Stones, Kiss, Van Halen, and fucking U2. I never understood why people liked U2. The rest of them I get, even though I don't love them, but U2 is definitely "put my ass to sleep" music.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2015, 12:12:22 AM »
I'm always a bit surprised to see the lack of love for Floyd, on a prog board like this.
and Roger Waters is an incredibly unappealing singer - his voice isn’t pretty, he’s not a gifted singer, he exudes very little character or grit or attitude, and he just sounds boring.
I disagree. I can understand not liking Floyd but it's hard not to acknowledge the character in Roger Waters' voice. He made up for his technical limitations by putting extra effort in putting character and emotion in his vocals.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2015, 02:15:11 AM »

You're not alone. I must have listened to every Foo Fighters album in an attempt to like them, their music ticks all the boxes I look for, and I should like them. But I just don't, they're not bad, I just can't get excited about them.

The Rolling Stones have a reputation built on a few albums in the early 70s that really captured something of the spirit of the times. Apart from that, I don't see what all the fuss is about - they're a great bar-room band, but they're not the "best rock and roll band on the planet" as they claim.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 06:55:44 AM »
To my knowledge, the only metal bands I like pre-thrash are Sabbath and Diamond Head. The hard rock that preceded metal is great though - Deep Purple, Led Zep, Cream, Blue Cheer, Atomic Rooster. Sabbath is as much one of that camp as a metal band as well.

The only Priest song I really care for is Victim of Changes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
Dylan and Springsteen

Just absolutely do not get it....at all.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 07:30:59 AM »
Any generic hard rock band from the 70s tbh. Been there done that.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »

4. The Grateful Dead - Never understood the attraction....  I know maybe one or 2 of their songs.  I'll classify it as "Put my ass to sleep" music

I didn't knew this was the "bash classic bands you just can't get into" thread  :P

Da fuq??  You think that's bashing?? Well...if you're offended, I do apologize, but that's far from bashing IMHO.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 11:01:50 AM »
I don't care for Judas Priest or Iron Maiden.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
I don't care for Judas Priest or Iron Maiden.

Calvin6s

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
Judas Priest.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2015, 02:23:33 PM »

Da fuq??  You think that's bashing?? Well...if you're offended, I do apologize, but that's far from bashing IMHO.  :lol

Rlx, i wasn't really serious about that, hence the ":P"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
Your emoting wrong then. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »
Most arena-selling bands of the '80's come to my mind first. KISS, Van Halen, and Guns 'n Roses are the prime example of this for me. The only ones I really adore are Priest and Maiden.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:19:06 PM by Outcrier »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
 :lol

I kid!  I kid!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »
Dylan and Springsteen

BTW I'm with you on this as well.  I don't mind a few Bruce songs but not a full album.  With Dylan, it's not the music but his voice.  I can't take it.

Calvin6s

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
Dylan and Springsteen

BTW I'm with you on this as well.  I don't mind a few Bruce songs but not a full album.  With Dylan, it's not the music but his voice.  I can't take it.

Get outta my head

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2015, 05:46:35 PM »
I'll agree with Dylan and Iron Maiden.

I can almost say Springsteen, too, but he does have quite a few songs I like.  I just never feel like listening to them. :lol :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2015, 01:23:45 AM »
Like Zantera said, most of them, specially The Beatles. I find their music incredibly predictable and dull.

I respect your right to your opinion but this statement blows my mind.  Have you ever heard Happiness is a Warm Gun from the white album?  Its pretty... unpredictable on first listen. 

Me personally, Rush and Porcupine Tree.  Couldn't ever get into 'em.  Lord knows I tried.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2015, 01:33:36 AM »
Bruce Springsteen - Just no

Led Zeppelin - maybe a couple of catchy songs but otherwise nothing that blows me away

AC/DC - Dull and monotonous

KISS - actors with instruments

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:59 AM »
Beatles, AC/DC and Judas Priest. 
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2015, 06:07:37 AM »
AC/DC - Dull and monotonous

KISS - actors with instruments
Yeah, these are probably the 2 biggest ones for me. AC/DC may be quite literally the dullest band I've ever heard and make Nickelback sound like the masters of experimental music. KISS is just unbearable.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2015, 06:32:37 AM »
Like Zantera said, most of them, specially The Beatles. I find their music incredibly predictable and dull.

I respect your right to your opinion but this statement blows my mind.  Have you ever heard Happiness is a Warm Gun from the white album?  Its pretty... unpredictable on first listen. 
I think I've listened to the white album, but can't remember that specific song. Tried with Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, that one, and Abbey road. Nothing, they're not my cup of tea - I prefer more creative songwritings styles.

Online Mladen

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2015, 06:45:29 AM »
I'm gonna go out on the limb and say Sgt. Pepper is the most creative album of all time.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2015, 06:48:29 AM »
I actually think that one's by far the worst of The Beatles' good era. It ends with possibly their best song, but the rest of the album is really boring.  :\