Author Topic: Which classic bands can you just not get into?  (Read 5853 times)

Offline npiazza91

Which classic bands can you just not get into?
« on: January 13, 2015, 02:32:56 AM »
Which classic rock or metal bands can you just not get into no matter how hard you try, if at all?  Only bands that have been labeled as classic or one of the all time best.  Here's mine.

1. Pink Floyd: sorry guys, but they bore me to death.  The only song I can stand I Wish You We're Here.

2. The Doors: Never got into them, they just never appealed to me much.

3. The Rolling Stones: I like a few songs but it seems like a lot of their songs are empty sounding, without a while lot of substance.  They always feel dry to me and boring.

4. Nirvana: I still don't get it and I never will.  No disrespect, but is it because he died?  I don't get why this band is do popular.  Smashing Pumpkins, STP and Alice in Chains blow Nirvana out of the water.

5. Kiss: All style no substance I what I think  A few catchy songs, but not much else.

Post your own.  I'll probably think of more later.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
Re: Which classic bands can you just not get into?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:41:11 AM »
Black Sabath

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:51:42 AM »
Aerosmith, Stones, Beatles

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 03:19:27 AM »
Rush, The Beatles .    I need to really pick and choose my Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Stones tracks but I wouldn't say I can't get into them at all.

Aside from KISS and Van Halen there's really not a great deal pre-1980 that does a huge amount for me...that I've heard anyway.  I am going to make a point of delving further into that period but based on experience it's going to be needle in haystack type stuff.

I don't consider Nirvana "classic" :D

if we're talking classic metal , then I'd add Slayer.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:31:35 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:39:33 AM »
I don't consider Nirvana classic :D

Likewise. :tup

Pink Floyd - I only mention them since we're on a prog forum, but they do nothing for me, and I find them mostly very dull. But I've always thought Gilmour was a great guitarist with killer tone. I think Pink Floyd are good at what they do, it's just not a style that appeals to me one bit.

Aerosmith - Nothing against them, their music just mostly does nothing for me. Aside from the major hits, I find their music pretty generic.

The Rolling Stones - Aside from getting in early, I don't know what their appeal is. They've never played well, and Jagger can barely hold a melody, so I don't find their music to be catchy.

The Beatles - I respect that they're the most influential band of all time, I just don't like their style of music.

I'm sure there are more, like basically every band this forum likes. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:25:00 AM »
There's probably too many to mention for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:48:21 AM »
The 80s are more or less a write-off, but most classic bands pre-80s I can get into to some extent.

Other than the odd song, don't like Queen, Bowie or The Beach Boys much at all.

I can't say I've ever tried much with them, but The Who sound fairly unspectacular to my ears.

Other than a handful of songs, Lynyrd Skynyrd were just a poor man's Allman Brothers Band.

In terms of modern classics, it may not mean much to many DTFers, but My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is just garbage. And I was almost completely indifferent to Arcade Fire when I tried them out.

4. Nirvana: I still don't get it and I never will.  No disrespect, but is it because he died?  I don't get why this band is do popular.  Smashing Pumpkins, STP and Alice in Chains blow Nirvana out of the water.
I'm not gonna try to convince you of their quality, if you don't like them, that's your thing. But for the sake of perspective, Nirvana were cut from a very different cloth than most of the other grunge that went really big. They're the highest achievers of a subset of much messier, uglier grunge / grunge-esque bands. If you want a better idea of where Nirvana were coming from, check out the Pixies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3lhrwio-M) and Mudhoney (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGsT_qFMBs) and The Melvins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiGPckX4Lo). In my experience, this is more what early grunge was like. Most of it "matured", for lack of a better word, and became more palatable, hence most of your typical grunge bands.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:58:58 AM »
The Stones and The Doors are the two big ones that come to mind.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 06:00:40 AM »
Floyd;, Doors,  Beatles

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 06:33:10 AM »
Most of them probably

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:11:29 AM »
I don't consider Nirvana classic :D

Likewise. :tup

Pink Floyd - I only mention them since we're on a prog forum, but they do nothing for me, and I find them mostly very dull. But I've always thought Gilmour was a great guitarist with killer tone. I think Pink Floyd are good at what they do, it's just not a style that appeals to me one bit.

Aerosmith - Nothing against them, their music just mostly does nothing for me. Aside from the major hits, I find their music pretty generic.

The Rolling Stones - Aside from getting in early, I don't know what their appeal is. They've never played well, and Jagger can barely hold a melody, so I don't find their music to be catchy.

The Beatles - I respect that they're the most influential band of all time, I just don't like their style of music.

I'm sure there are more, like basically every band this forum likes. :lol

Hell, this could easily be my list, aside from the Beatles, who I like.  Add in a ton of other bands, like Yes, ELP, Supertramp, and most anything that came out after 1992, and there's mine.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 07:14:07 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 07:23:25 AM »
The Rolling Stones. Most of the 60's pop rock n roll bands like The Kinks etc.

The Beatles > all of them.

Also really not a fan of Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 07:28:22 AM »
Loads of them. Talking about on this forum, Rush would definitely be my pick.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Loads of them. Talking about on this forum, Rush would definitely be my pick.

Oh yeah. I've never heard a song from them i've liked. Add David Bowie to that too.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »
Hendrix

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
Which classic rock or metal bands can you just not get into no matter how hard you try, if at all?  Only bands that have been labeled as classic or one of the all time best.  Here's mine.

1. Pink Floyd: sorry guys, but they bore me to death.  The only song I can stand I Wish You We're Here.

2. The Doors: Never got into them, they just never appealed to me much.

3. The Rolling Stones: I like a few songs but it seems like a lot of their songs are empty sounding, without a while lot of substance.  They always feel dry to me and boring.

5. Kiss: All style no substance I what I think  A few catchy songs, but not much else.

Post your own.  I'll probably think of more later.

100% agreed on all of these except the Doors, I like Morrison's voice quite a lot.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
Classic rock was my go-to genre for a period of my life. Once I discovered prog, my time spent listening to classic rock plummeted. Nowadays, it would be easier to list the bands that haven't gone stale for me.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
The Stones and The Doors are the two big ones that come to mind.
Same here.

Also Nirvana.  Just don't like them, never did.

Skynyrd wasn't a poor man's Allman Brothers. They were nothing like the Allman Brothers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 09:02:01 AM »
I'm always a bit surprised to see the lack of love for Floyd, on a prog board like this.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
For the most part I'm not a fan of southern rock and there are a lot of big name bands.

Jimmy Buffet.  I just can't.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »
Rolling Stones, I do enjoy Paint It Black though.

The beatles, I don't know why, I just never really got into them. Same as Rolling Stones, I enjoy some songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 09:39:03 AM »
Drugged up Beatles is ok. Sober Beatles, ugh.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
I'm always a bit surprised to see the lack of love for Floyd, on a prog board like this.
In my case, I love Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and they have occasional other really good songs, but I don’t enjoy any full non-Barrett albums, their music is generally cold, Gilmour spends too much time singing in a really mopey fashion, and Roger Waters is an incredibly unappealing singer - his voice isn’t pretty, he’s not a gifted singer, he exudes very little character or grit or attitude, and he just sounds boring.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
Drugged up Beatles is ok. Sober Beatles, ugh.

I've always said that about Areosmith. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
It actually holds for quite a few bands. Drunk Metallica >>>>> sober Metallica.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »
In my case, I love Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and they have occasional other really good songs, but I don’t enjoy any full non-Barrett albums, their music is generally cold, Gilmour spends too much time singing in a really mopey fashion, and Roger Waters is an incredibly unappealing singer - his voice isn’t pretty, he’s not a gifted singer, he exudes very little character or grit or attitude, and he just sounds boring.

You've got to watch Live in Pompeii
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »
Even though I love PF, I can totally see where he's coming from though. In fact, while The Wall has the right amount of mope for me, The Final Cut I can't listen to because it's over the top mopey.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »
Guns 'n roses, Blind guardian and Slayer are the ones that come to mind first. But you know how things change, so I never say never...

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 01:00:58 PM »
I have a few more to add.

Hendrix: I appreciate that he's talented, but his music is boring to me.

David Bowie: Ziggy is pretty good, Fame is awesome.  Other than that, nah.

Black Sabbath: I think they're incredibly overrated and I'm a metal guy.  Ozzy's voice is annoying and Sabbath is basically early Doom Metal. Slow, heavy and boring.  He became much better when he went solo, but still overrated.

Slayer: As a thrash fan, I find them very overrated.  They're fast, but that's about it.  No melody and Araya's voice is very generic thrash sounding.  Kreator, Testament, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Death Angel, Exodus, Sodom, Onslaught and many others are better.

The Sex Pistols: Boring and uninspired.  Nothing else to say here.

Guns n' Roses: One of the most overrated bands of all time  Seriously, they have 1 DECENT album.  Why was everyone so surprised when Chinese Democracy came out and everyone agreed the wait wasn't worth it?  Hm...perhaps GnR just wasn't as "great" as you remembered?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
Guns n' Roses: One of the most overrated bands of all time  Seriously, they have 1 DECENT album.  Why was everyone so surprised when Chinese Democracy came out and everyone agreed the wait wasn't worth it?  Hm...perhaps GnR just wasn't as "great" as you remembered?

You know, you don't have to like GnR all that much, but I would hope you can acknowledge that Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion, when they came out, were huge.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »

It doesn't even was the actual Guns N' Roses anymore.

And, about Appetite for Destruction and Chinese Democracy, i think the difference is pretty obvious.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
Guns n' Roses: One of the most overrated bands of all time  Seriously, they have 1 DECENT album.  Why was everyone so surprised when Chinese Democracy came out and everyone agreed the wait wasn't worth it? Hm...perhaps GnR just wasn't as "great" as you remembered?

Yeah, the fact that the album was delayed multiple times and there was a lot of line-up changes, in between those 13 years or whatever it took to create Chinese Democracy, has nothing to do with that.   ::)  That said, AFD was a tremendous album from start to finish.  But I just could not get into any too many songs from the Use Your Illusion albums, especially November Rain.  I despise that song.  Chinese Democracy had some good moments and if it was released a lot earlier and was under a different name, the backlash would not have been that bad.

Anywho, classic bands that I could not get into?  I don't know.  I haven't really dived into too many classic bands catalogs in full aside from Rush and Led Zeppelin (and I love those guys).  I can say that I'm not too fond of the thrash bands (aside from Metallica, but I'm mainly a casual fan at best, even though I did see three live streams of them, last year) or the glam/hair metal bands and I just can't seem to find enough personal investment to get into Black Sabbath or Pink Floyd.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
Like Zantera said, most of them, specially The Beatles. I find their music incredibly predictable and dull. Although I like PF, I'm more of a modern guy, and prefer modern songwriting and experimentation.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
1. Beatles - I get that they're probably the biggest trend setters of all time, but they were never my cup O' tea.

2. The Rolling Stones - Besides a couple cool jams, I think they're just too basic and uninspiring.

3. Nirvana - How these guys got as popular as they did is beyond me, they suck comparatively to a LOT of bands IMHO.

4. The Grateful Dead - Never understood the attraction....  I know maybe one or 2 of their songs.  I'll classify it as "Put my ass to sleep" music

5. Van Halen - While I respect Eddie....overall I always felt they were over rated.

I agree whole heartedly with the loaded vs. sober argument.  Loaded Aerosmith is 10x better to me than sober Aerosmith.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:00:33 PM by CrimsonSunrise »