Poll

SFAM or I&W?

Images & words
73 (48%)
Scenes from a memory
79 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Clash of the giants: SFAM vs I&W  (Read 7943 times)

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Re: Clash of the giants: SFAM vs I&W
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
Neither..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:32:22 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 05:02:28 AM »
Two great albums,but Scenes gets my vote for the following reasons:
1) Great concept piece.
2)James's vocals are superior on this release than Images.
3) Finally Free.My favourite final track on any D.T. release.

Regards,Finn.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »
My favs are awake and SDOIT although it's hard to choose between the two

First of all, you're completely mad.  :xbones Not just that you haven't listened to those two (three?) albums, but I hope you're immune to preconceptions and expectations if you're coming in here and listening to us before experiencing these albums because that's just crazy. :P Although at least they're the ones that most people don't have too many bad things to say about them.

It's interesting that you like Awake and SDOIT, as those two essentially stem from both I&W and SFAM respectively. Literally obviously, but also indirectly and musically to varying degrees. So you might find it quite interesting to see what the band was 'up to' preceding your favourite albums. Maybe you did this intentionally?

Obviously you don't care about order, but at this point I'd go with I&W then ACOS (if you haven't heard that one at least I'd listen to it inbetween as it feels more like it'd belong on I&W) with SFAM last. At this point, I think you just need to remember that these two albums have been put on a pedestal (for better or worse) so I'd still try and go in with zero expectations if you want to get the most out of them.

My favourite is SFAM because I think it's the archetypal sound that ultimately became what modern DT is today, and Jordan's input on that album is phenomenal. As for I&W, well to me that's the marker for their much more refined yet developing style that started after their debut.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »
SFAM by far.  I&W has no oomph to it...at all.  It's nice and dreamy sounding but definitely not something I want to listen to when i want to be moved.  It has no power to it at all.  The whole album feels flat.

An album should strive to have its own sound without being so prominent and milking off it.  I don't know, just my opinion.

SFAM is an amazing album, though.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »
Do yourself a favor and get both albums right now! You're truly missing out of some of the greatest music ever created. Oh and do not, I repeat, do not pass on ACOS! I passed on it for many years because it was just one song and a few live covers, but that song alone is worth it. It is IMO the best DT song. If one song defines Dream Theater as a band it has to be ACOS.

As for SFAM vs I&W, my votes goes to SFAM, because as great as I&W is, some of the songs do sound very dated. SFAM on the other hand, not only flows better, but the music sounds very up to date. No cheesy 80's keyboard patches or that triggered snare from I&W.

If you go with SFAM first, don't forget to download at least metropolis pt1. From I&W and have the lyrics next to you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »
SFAM by far.  I&W has no oomph to it...at all.  It's nice and dreamy sounding but definitely not something I want to listen to when i want to be moved.  It has no power to it at all.  The whole album feels flat.

An album should strive to have its own sound without being so prominent and milking off it.  I don't know, just my opinion.
???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 10:55:35 AM »
Hef, that's a response from a kid born in the 90's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 11:04:26 AM »
Not sure that matters.  My eldest was born in 96, and she loves both albums.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
But for most of the music lovers, I&W does not have that bottom end of the 90's and 2000's music.  So for some kids, they don't like the earlier music.  Hell I've done that with some 60's music and that's my own fault.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »

Um...I prefer pre 90's music in general compared to what came after it.  Zeppelin, the Who, Maiden, Priest, many others all way better than modern music.  How do you get "born in the 90's so he can't appreciate earlier music" from me saying I don't like ONE album?  Overreacting much?

Also, you think being born earlier makes you better?  What else were you intending "kid being born in the 90's" to mean?  I just don't get why you were trying to give me a low blow when all I said is that I don't like an album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »
Like it ruins my life kid.  But really, most don't like the 80's sound with no bass that grew up listening to music in the 90's and 20's.  Is that overreacting?  I think not.  This is a discussion.  Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
 :corn

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »
Like it ruins my life kid.  But really, most don't like the 80's sound with no bass that grew up listening to music in the 90's and 20's.  Is that overreacting?  I think not.  This is a discussion.  Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I sure hope a random internet comment doesn't ruin your life Grandpa.  You clearly implied that "a response from a kid born in the 90's" doesn't hold as much merit as, say, an opinion from someone with "more life experience".  God forbid I post my opinion, I don't want to step on your "experienced toes".

By the way, once a discussion becomes "being condescending towards somebody else" it's not a discussion anymore.  Good job, look what you did.  If you are "so much older" than me, then set the example.

All I posted was what I thought of an album...you know, trying to have a discussion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »
Maybe you should read my second post and see that I said I did it with the music from the 60's.  Stop being so sensitive.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
:P
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2015, 08:55:27 PM »
Everyone calm the fuck down or I'll start banning people.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
I sure hope a random internet comment doesn't ruin your life Grandpa.

:rollin

You clearly implied that "a response from a kid born in the 90's" doesn't hold as much merit as, say, an opinion from someone with "more life experience".

:chill, you just misunderstood what king said.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 10:14:48 PM »
 :lol

He did.  I meant it as a perception thing. We've all done that looking back at older music, like the mix of today's music.  No big whoop.

Somebody is just touchy about their age. :lol

Offline manticore999

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 10:17:31 PM »
SFAM, but by a hair.  I really love IAW and, true to form, I seem to love most the songs that everyone else likes the least.  Par for the course, but these are two extremely enjoyable albums for me.  SFAM is just a 'little more' ejoyable to me.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »

He did.  I meant it as a perception thing. We've all done that looking back at older music, like the mix of today's music.  No big whoop.

Somebody is just touchy about their age. :lol

You are aware that, no matter what you say, if someone takes it a certain way, YOU are in the wrong, legally?  Just because you intend something a certain way, does not mean that was how it was received.  If intention mattered, Hitler would be a hero...just saying.  Sometimes it helps to think before you say something.  You never know how someone will react.  Good life lesson right there.  Oh wait, who am I kidding...sorry, you obviously have more experience than me...forgot who I was talking to for a second.

I wouldn't have even replied to the first sentence, but you just HAD to add that second sentence didn't you?  First of all...trust me, I'm definitely not touchy about being too young.  God, knowing what I know now, I WISH I was 14 again.

Hey no hard feelings, man, just listen to what Ninja said and stop being a damn bully.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »
King isn't a bully. He's the biggest teddy bear on the forum!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 08:55:17 PM »

Wow.  Get a life.  How's going off trying to prove a point.  I love it that you are so appalled by me suggesting you don't like I&W as much because you like the more modern sound and you are younger and the more modern sound is you're frame of reference.  I even admitted I did that as well yet you were appalled.

So now I'm telling you, grow up and stop being so sensitive.  You look bad here buddy.

Calvin6s

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 09:14:16 PM »
You look bad here buddy.
I'm not your buddy, guy.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 09:43:26 PM »

Wow.  Get a life.  How's going off trying to prove a point.  I love it that you are so appalled by me suggesting you don't like I&W as much because you like the more modern sound and you are younger and the more modern sound is you're frame of reference.  I even admitted I did that as well yet you were appalled.

So now I'm telling you, grow up and stop being so sensitive.  You look bad here buddy.

...All I said was I don't like I&W as much, then you said your thing.  I wasn't being sensitive, I was calling you out for putting me down.  Do I not have a right to stand up for myself?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »
Except he didn't "put you down".

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »
How would you know unless you were me?  "Putting someone down" doesn't come from the person saying it, it comes from the person receiving it.  I'm a suicide counselor, by the way.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2015, 11:34:47 PM »
Sounds like an excuse to me but, whatever.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2015, 04:42:09 AM »
You look bad here buddy.
I'm not your buddy, guy.

I'm not your guy. friend!

Except he didn't "put you down".

Thank you my friend.

Offline Outcrier

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2015, 06:54:14 AM »
I&W

Also, JHC what a clusterfuck this page turned into.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2015, 07:01:03 AM »
You are aware that, no matter what you say, if someone takes it a certain way, YOU are in the wrong, legally?
Legally?  Come on, man.

Just because you intend something a certain way, does not mean that was how it was received.  If intention mattered, Hitler would be a hero...just saying.
Hitler intended to kill all the Jews, Gypsys, and other non-Aryans.  That's not heroic. 

Sometimes it helps to think before you say something. 
It would seem so.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »
For me it's I&W without a second thought. Still sounds fresh to my ears, and has a jazziness and experimentation that i've never felt in DT ever since.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
Scenes From a Memory. I've worn out 2 cd's within the first 5 years after it came out. It doesn't ever get dated for me. Plus, it rebooted their career. I&W's second half is what attracted me to DT, but SFAM kept me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 03:01:49 PM »
How would you know unless you were me?  "Putting someone down" doesn't come from the person saying it, it comes from the person receiving it.
Er, actually no, it comes from the person giving the comment. For sure, that person could be careless meaning the receiver misunderstands, in which case no problem in saying that, but King's comments did not require the tirade that you went on.

Now everybody chill out or I won't sex any of you later!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.