Author Topic: DT13 in 2015 = No New Petrucci Solo Album?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline drod1985

DT13 in 2015 = No New Petrucci Solo Album?
« on: January 09, 2015, 01:12:01 PM »
After DT12 a second Petrucci solo album was mentioned multiple times by both John and Rich Chycki. In light of the DT13 recording announcement I’m thinking that this project has been sidelined…unless it was recorded on the down low last year. Has anybody heard any different?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: DT13 in 2015 = No New Petrucci Solo Album?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
I think the second solo album is going the same direction that the first did. That one was punted for *years* before it finally came out.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »
I'd rather new DT over JP solo anyway.  Solo JLB might be another story though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
I'd rather new DT over JP solo anyway.  Solo JLB might be another story though.

Only if it's more like EOP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »
I'd rather new DT over JP solo anyway.

Other way around for me. I would be quite interested in the JP album.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't JLB released solo albums close to DT albums before?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't JLB released solo albums close to DT albums before?

Yeah, the last three have been pretty close.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
What happened to that new JLB EP which should have released in early 2015? Or is there any info about that? New JLB solo stuff would be killer  :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
What happened to that new JLB EP which should have released in early 2015? Or is there any info about that? New JLB solo stuff would be killer  :metal

Wasn't that just put out digitally?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 02:52:18 PM »
Yes, the EP I Will Not Break was released last year for download.  New Artwork for the EP can also be downloaded.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 02:53:58 PM »
DT13 also = no new US Tour dates this year???  Hope not!  Much prefer a tour than an album this soon.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
DT13 also = no new US Tour dates this year???  Hope not!  Much prefer a tour than an album this soon.
Didn't JR say, "see you on the road in 2015" in one of his video updates?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »
Yeah, but that's just Jordan's thing, it's like "see you later", or something like that. Though that doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of tour dates this year.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »
I'd rather JP kept all his best ideas for a great DT album.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
If you listen to the first solo album, there was little to no overlap in terms of writing style. I don't think JP is "siphoning" off ideas that would otherwise go into DT albums.
Which is partially also why I am more interested in the solo album. It makes JP sit down and write different music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
Well perhaps in the Fall.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
If you listen to the first solo album, there was little to no overlap in terms of writing style. I don't think JP is "siphoning" off ideas that would otherwise go into DT albums.
Which is partially also why I am more interested in the solo album. It makes JP sit down and write different music.

I'd agree with this, I'm not sure I'm more interested in the second JP solo record than I am new DT, but I'd really love to hear a follow up to Suspended Animation. I thought that was a really cool instrumental album and it definitely didn't seem to overlap with DT. It had its own distinct sound and style.

Offline drod1985

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »
I don't think JP is "siphoning" off ideas that would otherwise go into DT albums.

Agreed. And he's already writing/written the music, he's debuted at least 3 new tunes via South American G3.

Offline adamack

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
Wow! Interesting to hear that some would prefer either a new JP solo album, a new JLB solo album, or a US tour over a new DT album.

Granted Suspended Animation was amazing, and JLB's solo albums were all really good.

It's just surprising to hear. To each his own of course.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but I don't get much satisfaction from the simple continuation of a style that a band has. When I listen to a new album, I want to hear something I haven't heard before.
Many people will disagree, but to me "old DT" did exactly that, whereas new DT just doesn't. They boxed themselves in, and are sticking with it.
With a new JP solo album, I am guaranteed to hear a side of JP that we haven't seen in a long time, and that above all makes it interesting to me.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
I am looking forward to another JP solo album having said that, I hope he has a much better lead tone this time around then again I don't like his tone on the past 2 DT albums...

am I the only one who prefers his awake, scenes tone?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 07:31:22 PM »

Offline adamack

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 07:33:16 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but I don't get much satisfaction from the simple continuation of a style that a band has. When I listen to a new album, I want to hear something I haven't heard before.
Many people will disagree, but to me "old DT" did exactly that, whereas new DT just doesn't. They boxed themselves in, and are sticking with it.
With a new JP solo album, I am guaranteed to hear a side of JP that we haven't seen in a long time, and that above all makes it interesting to me.

I see, that is a very interesting view which I've never really thought much about.

I do actually agree with you that newer DT have boxed themselves in more than they have in the past. I can definitely see how that is a problem for you and others as well. It does not bother me personally, as the nature of their music is intricate enough to sound interesting to me with every album, despite the band being more boxed in as a whole. But I see why you're looking forward to that new JP!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
I agree with rumby here. I'd be very interested in a new JP solo album.
JP's last solo album had some serious rock stylings that he doesn't really incorporate into DT any more, and some great rock riffing, rather than the metal type riffing of power chords and fast single notes that are more typical of modern DT. It reminded me a bit more of the FII style of playing that I really want to hear again on another DT album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline nemonius

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 02:53:23 AM »

There is no such thing as "best ideas". Some say ToT was the best idea, some say SFAM. I don't thing 'spending' ideas on a solo album would have any effect on DT's next album.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 03:32:23 AM »

I meant that James or Matt said somewhere that they have planned to record a brand new EP with couple of new songs in the early 2015. That was after IWNB release.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 03:35:46 AM »
I'd rather hear a new JLB solo release than a DT album this year; I wish they'd taken a bit of a break to let everyone do some solo stuff and recharge their batteries for the next DT album.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 03:40:18 AM »

This is a good point. That's exactly why I have said in other threads that they should do an EP or two where they could take a challenge and do something really different. EP is a chance to try and it's not that bad thing if it flops. It also could bring a new side of them.

Offline rosepetaljelly

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 03:46:21 AM »
If JM suddenly has plan for a solo album I'd be more excited for it than DT13 ;D

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:41 AM »

I meant that James or Matt said somewhere that they have planned to record a brand new EP with couple of new songs in the early 2015. That was after IWNB release.

Yup, I hope they'll find time to do it :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »

That reads like you speak for me too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
Call me crazy, but recently I was thinking that I'd love to hear a collaboration between Petrucci and Kevin Moore.  Just the two of them -- guitar and key/piano, with maybe some of KM's use of samples or KM vocals here and there.  They can e-mail ideas back and forth at their leisure and maybe after a year or two they'll have something worth releasing.  Fans would love it, and they both might get some satisfaction out of it as well.  Let's face it, they were the key songwriters of the early DT material and there was some magic there.  Sure, it's been over two decades since then and I wouldn't have high expectations.  I just think it would be a fun project for them. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:52:29 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »
Call me crazy, but recently I was thinking that I'd love to hear a collaboration between Petrucci and Kevin Moore.  Just the two of them -- guitar and key/piano, with maybe some of KM's use of samples or KM vocals here and there.  They can e-mail ideas back and forth at their leisure and maybe after a year or two they'll have something worth releasing.  Fans would love it, and they both might get some satisfaction out of it as well.  Let's face it, they were the key songwriters of the early DT material and there was some magic there.  Sure, it's been over two decades since then and I wouldn't have high expectations.  I just think it would be a fun project for them. :)
If I know something of DT is that this is never going to happen.

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 06:36:01 PM »

Agree 100%  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 07:14:48 AM »
I would love to hear such a thing, but I don't think it will ever happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.