Author Topic: New album 2015 predictions  (Read 17627 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: New album 2015 predictions
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
I would love if at least part of a song is like IT's Easter Egg. Or even better, an entire song like that. It would make a nice break between some of the presumably longer, proggier tracks.

ADTOE is their best album in terms of song lengths. It had a few shorter songs ranging from 4-7 minutes, one song that approaches 9 minutes, while the rest was 10-13 minutes. I would like to see something similar on DT13.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2015, 04:43:43 PM »
I say new concept album. That would be awesome. I'm sure we'll hear some seaboard action. Since DT has had a fresh start with a Mangini, I'm sure they have something big in the works.
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2015, 09:08:32 PM »
I hope they do something bold.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2015, 10:28:46 PM »
I would love if at least part of a song is like IT's Easter Egg. Or even better, an entire song like that. It would make a nice break between some of the presumably longer, proggier tracks.

This, 100%
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 01:24:12 AM »
Agreed that (long) ambient breaks in epics should be eschewed. Of course, just because DT is 0-for-2 (or maybe .5-for-2 if I give some credit for the transition out of the TCOT section) on them doesn't mean it's impossible to make it work, but even if DT did come up with a good one, the fact that their last two 17+ minute songs had the ambient section would render it a bit of a stale move.

Incidentally, for those who, like me, enjoy all of IT except the ambient bits, try going into Audacity, crop all the ambient noise/orchestra out, and just crossfade the fadeout into the noise with the whooshing sound that leads to the Myung/Mangini riff. I was very pleasantly surprised by how non-jarring it sounded, and it really made it a much better song for me. Might not work for everyone but worth a shot.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 01:58:26 AM »

This, 100%

Hmm, that could work. Like Through My Words or even Vacant or Far From Heaven but instrumental. That could be the skip track from the album in the future but if it was concept album, that could be nice breath of fresh air between proggier and heavier tracks.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2015, 06:08:45 AM »
They need another song in that 14-17 minute range; shorter than a side-length epic typically is, but longer than their usual long-songs of 10-14 minutes (of which they have a TON).
No, they don't NEED another song like that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »
If they *must* do an epic - please don't do the "stop for 5 minutes in the middle and have an ambient section" again.

Yeah, please none of this. I read a description of the songs from DT12 before the album was released, and when I got to IT I actually thought the writer had confused it with TCoT, since it apparently had the exact same structure. Twice is one too many in this case. Or maybe even two too many, since I like neither of them.
I can't be the only one who finds the two songs completely different structurally?

TCOT I see as basically being two parts. The first part covers everything up to the ambient section - it builds up and is energetic, lots of classic prog goodness. It then slows down and the whole second part is more chilled and slow. Sure it builds up again, but it never gets heavy again. It's all very smooth.

Whereas IT is very different. It jumps around a lot, and the transitions in and out of the ambient section are more sudden (which I have no problem with, by the way). It's a heavy song with an ambient section in the middle.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:58 AM »
To me, the only thing Dream Theater needs to do is write good songs. Some of these requests are oddly specific, like "they need a song no shorter than 14 minutes but no longer than 17 minutes". :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2015, 07:48:13 AM »
To me, the only thing Dream Theater needs to do is write good songs. Some of these requests are oddly specific, like "they need a song no shorter than 14 minutes but no longer than 17 minutes". :lol
Jeez, you're just so unseasoned.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2015, 07:57:03 AM »

We're not requesting anything of them. We're just speculating. They could do absolutely anything. They could make an album of 3-minute pop songs. They could make a reggae album, for all we know.

This is not "I won't buy the album unless it has a 14-17 minute song on it, in three parts, without an ambient section."

Analyzing and speculating is what we do round here. It kills time before the details are revealed.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
I'm with Xanadu though. These minute markers have become a quality indicator to quite a few people it seems.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
That's because DT (and all prog bands, in fact) have such a good track record with the long-form songs. It's what distinguishes prog from mainstream pop. Prog is a feature-length film to pop's TV show. If an album has an epic on it, it's always the most discussed, and in many cases the most liked song on the album. And before its release, it's more often than not the most anticipated song on the album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »
Yeah in defense of people asking for longer songs, other people ask for shorter songs.

I personally couldn't care less about song lengths, as long as they're appropriate to each song. Sometimes DT drags songs on too long unnecessarily. Sometimes they try too hard to keep songs short and they end too abruptly.

Prog is a feature-length film to pop's TV show.
I would have said it's the other way round, surely? A film generally tells a self-contained story in a couple of hours and it's done. In a TV show the story lasts for hours and hours, with much slower plot and character development.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »
I would actually say the ratio of "good vs not-so-good" is the same in DT's epics as it is in their shorter songs. I think it's just that, in a shorter song, a weak section constitutes 50% of the song. In an epic, that weak section will pass quickly and be replaced by a different section. So, I think epics get away better because they are less likely to be "destroyed" by a weak section like a short song is.
And I think it's partly due to the way they write in the studio. Most bands/artists write more songs than usually end up on an album, and they weed out the weak ones. To my understanding, ever since SFAM I think, there are no "dropped songs" anymore. A musical idea is either axed the moment it comes up, or it will survive, for better or for worse. They make a song out of it, close the song, and move on to the next thing until the CD time limit is reached.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2015, 09:43:46 AM »
We're not requesting anything of them. We're just speculating. They could do absolutely anything. They could make an album of 3-minute pop songs. They could make a reggae album, for all we know.

This is not "I won't buy the album unless it has a 14-17 minute song on it, in three parts, without an ambient section."

Analyzing and speculating is what we do round here. It kills time before the details are revealed.

You see the humor in it though, don't you? I'm loving the anticipation and passion surrounding their next album. It's great. Sometimes the excitement leads to funny comments though, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone. One time I think I said it would be cool if DT did an album with all acoustic guitars. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2015, 09:53:49 AM »
I demand a free pancake with the new album. Otherwise it's a no-buy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »

Now that would be a unique digipak design; CD slotted into one side, pancake slotted into the other.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
Buttermilk or Blueberry?

I don't know.

Jettison Rumborak in the air.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »

Now that would be a unique digipak design; CD slotted into one side, pancake slotted into the other.

It would be hard to do batter.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2015, 11:32:11 AM »
That's because DT (and all prog bands, in fact) have such a good track record with the long-form songs. It's what distinguishes prog from mainstream pop. Prog is a feature-length film to pop's TV show. If an album has an epic on it, it's always the most discussed, and in many cases the most liked song on the album. And before its release, it's more often than not the most anticipated song on the album.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that generalization. Take Rush, for instance. Sure, you've got their first 8 years or so, up to 1982, which has quite a few epics and long songs. But once you get to Signals, there are no more long songs, but it is still very much "prog" with time signature changes and different musical styles. They didn't have a song over 7 minutes again until Clockwork Angels in 2012. That's 30 years of short songs that are still VERY progressive.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
They should start a new meta-album by starting DT13 where DT12 left off. :biggrin:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that generalization. Take Rush, for instance. Sure, you've got their first 8 years or so, up to 1982, which has quite a few epics and long songs. But once you get to Signals, there are no more long songs, but it is still very much "prog" with time signature changes and different musical styles. They didn't have a song over 7 minutes again until Clockwork Angels in 2012. That's 30 years of short songs that are still VERY progressive.
Gentle Giant is an ever better example to illustrate the exception, as arguably they played the most technical, versatile, off-the-wall prog in the '70s without having a single song that reached the 10(!) minute mark. But otherwise many classic prog albums are indeed centered around and carried by the epic (Tarkus, Close to the Edge, Foxtrot, Meddle, 2112, Thick as a Brick - the whole album is one song), hence this meme:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
An outside producer that way JP can concentrate just on the
awesome riffs that will make this the ultimate DT album  :tup   ;D

Or to simply tell them when something doesn't sound good. like the horrible over compressing of DT12. I still can't get over how bad MM's snare sounds. Which is a shame because it does sound great live!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2015, 08:08:03 AM »
lol
:TOX:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
:clap:

Online The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2015, 08:55:54 AM »
If they release a song that is between 14 and 17 minutes on the next album and you all love, you all have to thank me. Because I called it in this thread! :tup

Now, if they write a song between 14-17 minutes and it sucks...don't blame me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »
I want Bob Ezrin as a producer to tell them: "let me handle this. You guys, go crazy."
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
I predict (mostly valid) complaints about the album artwork.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
When it comes to the longer tracks, if there are some (odds are there will be), I'm hoping that we don't get much of this:

(long intro->verse 1->chorus 1->break->verse 2->chorus 2->bridge->EXTREMELY LONG INSTRUMENTAL SECTION->verse 3->chorus 3->outro)

Not that DT has never written a good song in this style (they have), but it seems to me that a large portion of their JR-era epics do something like this (BTL, Home, ES, TMOLS, ITNOG to an extent, and most of the ADTOE ones). To me, this format a) has already been done so much that it's a bit stale, b) isn't as creative/inventive as something that, say, has four or five verses, two different types of choruses, and a number of shorter and varied instrumental sections, and c) the instrumental sections tend to wander so much that they often really take away from the songwriting (see: Outcry). Having one of these songs would be fine, but I'd love to see something structured more like The Killing Hand or The Best of Times (whatever you think of those songs--I happen to love both--they're fairly unique structurally among DT tracks, especially TKH). As TKH proves, this also would allow the band to sound very proggy without taking up 15+ minutes (not that I'm opposed to them doing so).
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
, but I'd love to see something structured more like The Killing Hand or The Best of Times (whatever you think of those songs--I happen to love both--they're fairly unique structurally among DT tracks, especially TKH). As TKH proves, this also would allow the band to sound very proggy without taking up 15+ minutes (not that I'm opposed to them doing so).
GREAT tunes!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »
Mediocre tunes at best, but interesting structures, for sure.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
I'd like them to approach long songs the way they did on Six Degrees. Those songs were progressive in every sense of the word, the forms seemed very free flowing and there's no predictability on where the songs are going. A lot of their long tracks since then have been very predictable.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »
So, as I mentioned in the Day in the Life Of JLB thread, he said, "I know what album we're recording, I just can't say." So there seems to be some preconceived idea about what they are going to write. Not sure whether it's in terms of the subject matter, or music, but it seems like there is going to be a particular direction to this one, and they already know what it is.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
That's not really different from DT12, is it? Say what you will about the sound, but it was clearly a choiced one.