Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 484973 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #735 on: February 26, 2015, 03:47:19 AM »
From Jordan: "After a busy day in the studio it's great to connect with my new Linnstrument as well as practicing on my next iOS app release GeoShred! Shred alert."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #736 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
We are probably getting JLB lyrics, after his self imposed exclusion from the lyrical writing of DT12.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #737 on: February 26, 2015, 08:30:09 AM »
I hope we get more of the other guys, lyrically as well as musically. Since Portnoy left DT, it has felt a bit more like JP's project, instead of a band.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: February 26, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
I disagree somewhat. Sure, JP has a lot of control but I think there has been plenty of JR's influence in the last two albums and certainly JM's contribution has been felt as well.

I think it's fair to say that if JLB contributed more, that would be a welcome change. I wouldn't mind if MM's role transitioned a bit more 'in front' too.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #739 on: February 26, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
Labrie really needs to step and and write some more lyrics. As the lead vocalist who doesn't play an instrument, it'd be nice to get at least 3 songs from him per album. If you put it in perspective, in the 8 years since "Prophets of War" in 2007, he's contributed a 4 min song that's essentially an intro-piece to BAI.

Need me some more Labrie lyrics!

Offline krands85

« Reply #740 on: February 26, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »
Didn't he submit more for ADTOE, but they were rejected or something?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #741 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »
Labrie really needs to step and and write some more lyrics. As the lead vocalist who doesn't play an instrument, it'd be nice to get at least 3 songs from him per album. If you put it in perspective, in the 8 years since "Prophets of War" in 2007, he's contributed a 4 min song that's essentially an intro-piece to BAI.

Need me some more Labrie lyrics!

Didn't he submit more for ADTOE, but they were rejected or something?

Yeah, I recall reading that he submits quite a few lyrics to the process......whether they use them or not is the question. I really dig his lyrics though....I'd like to hear an album where he and Myung were the only lyricists.....split the songs half and half and call it a day. I like JP's lyrics to an extent.....but JLB and JMX's lyrics IMO are just a bit more 'thoughtful' than JP's. Or at least....more 'poetic' and not strictly based on song structure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #742 on: February 26, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »

1.  Just because he does not write lyrics does not mean he is not contributing.
2.  As long as James and the rest of the band are happy with his level of contribution (or "not-contribution," as the case may be), why does it even matter?  And by the way, he is credited for being a composer on 3 of the songs on ADTOE and 6 songs on DT12 if I am not mistaken.
3.  Far From Heaven is not "essentially an intro-piece to BAI."  That description doesn't even fit--especially from a lyrical perspective. 

I would say he has "stepped up" just fine.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: February 26, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
I would say he has "stepped up" just fine.

Besides....it's probably hard to step up with a wooden leg and all.......

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #744 on: February 26, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
Not to mention trying to navigate with a wooden leg without the benefit of stereoscopic vision.  Because eye patch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #745 on: February 26, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to drive a fork truck with an eyepatch on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #746 on: February 26, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
In fact, it is likely forbidden, so he proably had to get special permission. That should give you an idea of how good he is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #747 on: February 26, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »
Don't forget having to contend with that ridiculous parrot all the time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: February 26, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate being around so much booty.....

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #749 on: February 26, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »
Plus... ya know... carrying that shovel around...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #750 on: February 26, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »
And there's that ship to worry about.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #751 on: February 27, 2015, 02:19:27 AM »
This thRead is gauld :yarr

*Alestorm yelling and shredding in background*

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: February 27, 2015, 03:39:05 AM »
Yarrrrrr.

Or

Rawwwwwwkkkkkk.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Calvin6s

« Reply #753 on: February 27, 2015, 06:36:15 AM »

2.  As long as James and the rest of the band are happy with his level of contribution (or "not-contribution," as the case may be), why does it even matter?

Because it is an entirely different way to write a song, which would only be expanding DT's songwriting arsenal?  DT has stated many times that they write the music first, lyrics/melody second.  As a result, the songs are more rifftastic, but the melodies (which most people latch onto) take a back seat.  It isn't that one way (writing lyrics/melody to the instrumental) is better than the other (orchestrating to a melody), but it would definitely be one of the biggest advancements DT could make in their songwriting career.

And judging by JP's question to Geddy Lee on the recent That Metal Show, this seems to be something on JP's mind.

Nobody is telling DT how to write a song.  We've just been listening to DT for so long that we are searching for new areas of enjoyment.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #754 on: February 27, 2015, 07:21:28 AM »

2.  As long as James and the rest of the band are happy with his level of contribution (or "not-contribution," as the case may be), why does it even matter?

Because it is an entirely different way to write a song, which would only be expanding DT's songwriting arsenal?  DT has stated many times that they write the music first, lyrics/melody second.  As a result, the songs are more rifftastic, but the melodies (which most people latch onto) take a back seat.  It isn't that one way (writing lyrics/melody to the instrumental) is better than the other (orchestrating to a melody), but it would definitely be one of the biggest advancements DT could make in their songwriting career.

And judging by JP's question to Geddy Lee on the recent That Metal Show, this seems to be something on JP's mind.

Nobody is telling DT how to write a song.  We've just been listening to DT for so long that we are searching for new areas of enjoyment.

I was thinking about that too.  You've got a chance to meet one of your idols and ask him a question.  JP chose to ask this one.  I think it's a good thing, especially given Geddy's answer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #755 on: February 27, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
DT has stated many times that they write the music first, lyrics/melody second.  As a result, the songs are more rifftastic, but the melodies (which most people latch onto) take a back seat.

That is definitely true. The vocal melodies are never bad, but you can tell they were added after the music was written. Like, now that I think of it, when was the last DT song where JLB was singing on his own, i.e. without any instruments?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #756 on: February 27, 2015, 01:04:42 PM »
DT has stated many times that they write the music first, lyrics/melody second.  As a result, the songs are more rifftastic, but the melodies (which most people latch onto) take a back seat.

That is definitely true. The vocal melodies are never bad, but you can tell they were added after the music was written. Like, now that I think of it, when was the last DT song where JLB was singing on his own, i.e. without any instruments?

IT?
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #757 on: February 27, 2015, 01:10:32 PM »
What part? The "Mothers for their children" part? That stretches the definition of "vocals only" :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #758 on: February 27, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
Yeah that's what I was referring to.

One part that isn't vocals only, but feels very melody-first, is the "Could this be the end" part of TCOT.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Calvin6s

« Reply #759 on: February 27, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying DT has no melody, that they are bad or that they aren't even pretty good.  You just create different melodies with your voice than with an instrument.  Instrumentalists practice with metronomes.  It gives a nice strong tight sound.  Vocalists don't.  It gives a freer flow.  Vocalists are more likely to do things like:

Start singing lines of the chorus while the instruments are still on the last bar or beat(s) of the verse or pre-chorus.
Sing consecutive notes in the same pitch with the slightest of inflections that sound downright lame on a piano or guitar.
Borrow notes from other scales that ends up creating some great progression possibilities with borrowed chords.

I go through these phases when I write a song myself.  Force myself to start with the melody first.  Force myself to start with the guitar (kind of easy being a guitarist).  Force myself to play along to a drum beat I came up with (especially in odd times).

I end up writing some very crappy stuff, but then it comes out more naturally down the line.

So in regards to LaBrie, what better way to develop that side of DT than to let the actual singer lead the way?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:17:42 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #760 on: February 27, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »
One part that isn't vocals only, but feels very melody-first, is the "Could this be the end" part of TCOT.

I feel that about much of Forsaken as well. Even though that song most likely began with Rudess doing the intro piano stuff, the chorus just feels like vocal melodies really took center stage while hammering out those chords.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #761 on: February 27, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
What part? The "Mothers for their children" part? That stretches the definition of "vocals only" :lol
Yea but how many bands have many sections with only vocals? I think that's a bit of an unfair challenge. It'd be better to examine sections where the vocals are the main focus. Like the beginning of Surrounded or Far From Heaven.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #762 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:57 PM »
Yea but how many bands have many sections with only vocals? I think that's a bit of an unfair challenge. It'd be better to examine sections where the vocals are the main focus. Like the beginning of Surrounded or Far From Heaven.

I agree with the above strongly.

A lot of times, it's really obvious that the music was written before the vocals.  Something like About to Crash has so much stuff going on under the vocals.  It feels like they recorded the music and were like "oh yeah, singing has to happen here.  We have to fit it somehow."  The music under the vocals is just so melodically and rhythmically dense.  It feels like a disservice to JLB a bit.

On the other hand, you look at a song like IT where, even though JLB isn't in the song a lot, he's clearly the main focus of every section he's in.  There's no overly dense rhythms or competing lead melodies to distract you.  It's about quality, not quantity, and the quality is there.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online nikatapi

« Reply #763 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »

A lot of times, it's really obvious that the music was written before the vocals.  Something like About to Crash has so much stuff going on under the vocals.  It feels like they recorded the music and were like "oh yeah, singing has to happen here.  We have to fit it somehow."  The music under the vocals is just so melodically and rhythmically dense.  It feels like a disservice to JLB a bit.

Well, i really liked that, and i think it's something that feels boring these days. JP usually plays some powerchords during the choruses, while on older albums he kept things interesting.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #764 on: February 28, 2015, 10:24:16 AM »

Well, i really liked that, and i think it's something that feels boring these days. JP usually plays some powerchords during the choruses, while on older albums he kept things interesting.

Yeah. I don't think a more melodic backing takes anything away from JLB, it just makes the music more densely melodic, and gives JLB more to contrast and harmonize with to create interest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #765 on: February 28, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »
Well said, Blob :tup

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #766 on: March 01, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
I don't care what they'll write and how they write it, as long as it's awesome.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #767 on: March 01, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
Im hoping for a concept album of some kind.  A Dark Side of the Moon type album.  That'd be awesome.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline 425

« Reply #768 on: March 01, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »

Yeah. I don't think a more melodic backing takes anything away from JLB, it just makes the music more densely melodic, and gives JLB more to contrast and harmonize with to create interest.

I also, and I realize I've said this before, miss the days of multiple voices on the album. Nowadays, all the album backing vocals are done by JLB, which is fine, but I miss hearing JP and MP do some of the backing vocals. It gave the whole thing more of an authentic "band" feel. I guess MP is the one who agrees with me, since it's been done in just about every project he's been in, and it was evidently pretty easy for the rest of the guys to get rid of once MP was gone.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #769 on: March 01, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
I miss that too. I've never been a big fan of backing vocals done by the lead singer. It just seems kinda lame and makes the recording sound more artificial. When you get a bunch of people to do backing vocals it adds a new dimension to the singing and you get different personalities in the voices.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods