Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 484862 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2730 on: August 01, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »
Sorry, not caught up.  Thanks.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2731 on: August 01, 2015, 10:48:18 AM »
Is it save to say if we don't have a DT13 announcement by end of the month, then a release this year is unlikely?  A fall release is probably out, they usually announce albums months in advance.

Pretty sure the band has already said the album will be coming out in early 2016.

Edit: James mentioned it here https://youtu.be/ER9Y57sjC3o?t=2867

Is Constant Motion slower than usual ?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2732 on: August 01, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »
An update from Chycki:

It's a wonderfully innovative, diverse and complex album that will be a testament to DT's renowned creativity and musicianship that continues to garner international praise.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2733 on: August 01, 2015, 11:27:44 AM »
Sounds good to me!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2734 on: August 01, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
An update from Chycki:

It's a wonderfully innovative, diverse and complex album that will be a testament to DT's renowned creativity and musicianship that continues to garner international praise.

"innovative"

we'll see about that.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2735 on: August 01, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »
Hopefully more prog rock than prog metal (feel free to swap "progressive" for "prog").

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2736 on: August 01, 2015, 11:41:42 AM »
That's about as general of a statement as one can be. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2737 on: August 01, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
So, given the update from the guys at the Wacken interview, where they're saying they went into the studio in January, but they're still in there.... I mean, not to assume that this is consecutively day in day out, but it means they've been in the studio for 6 months now, which is a lot shorter than the previous two albums.
I'm gonna cross my fingers that this album will be especially special.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2738 on: August 01, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »

Yeah. :lol There hasn't been any comment yet that makes me think one way or another yet. Can't wait until we can hear something.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2739 on: August 02, 2015, 02:15:01 AM »
So, given the update from the guys at the Wacken interview, where they're saying they went into the studio in January, but they're still in there.... I mean, not to assume that this is consecutively day in day out, but it means they've been in the studio for 6 months now, which is a lot shorter than the previous two albums.

Shorter ?

They've been in the studio since Jan / Feb and usually the albums are out in September and we've had a single by now.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2740 on: August 02, 2015, 02:37:55 AM »
I have this one theory...
This could be DT's most ambitious album in a long while.
Many people say that they always say the same,that it's "different" or "special" or "unique", etc. But maybe this time they actually mean it.
It can't be that they say that so much this time, while at the same time remaining so silent about it. During the short interview, they actually stated that the album process was interrupted by the tour, which means that it's not complete.
Alright, consider that they got the base stuff, some organized and planned, yet they still got enough things to do to keep them "very busy" at hotel rooms and that. Which means that they are using this tour to see how the audience reacts to different moments of their careers and see what they can come up with, maybe indeed something unique we've not seen so far.
This tour is teaching them more about us, the fans, and it was to be inspiring, absolutely.
Dunno, the fact that it's taking so long, that there's no single and that they decided to get into a festival tour at this point, means that they're definitely doing something big.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2741 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:41 AM »
I like your theory, and yeah, maybe the reason we haven't gotten a single is because this album is meant to be listened to as one piece or something, I don't know.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2742 on: August 02, 2015, 04:12:04 AM »
I have this one theory...
This could be DT's most ambitious album in a long while.
Many people say that they always say the same,that it's "different" or "special" or "unique", etc. But maybe this time they actually mean it.
It can't be that they say that so much this time, while at the same time remaining so silent about it. During the short interview, they actually stated that the album process was interrupted by the tour, which means that it's not complete.
Alright, consider that they got the base stuff, some organized and planned, yet they still got enough things to do to keep them "very busy" at hotel rooms and that. Which means that they are using this tour to see how the audience reacts to different moments of their careers and see what they can come up with, maybe indeed something unique we've not seen so far.
This tour is teaching them more about us, the fans, and it was to be inspiring, absolutely.
Dunno, the fact that it's taking so long, that there's no single and that they decided to get into a festival tour at this point, means that they're definitely doing something big.

I think they always mean it. They're not going to release something if they think it's subpar or not at the level of the other albums.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2743 on: August 02, 2015, 04:44:19 AM »
Why do people go on these crazy rants about theories when we will hear news about the new album?  There still in the middle of recording and broke off from a tour.  How hard is that to understand.  When they finish the album, they will release some info.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2744 on: August 02, 2015, 04:54:01 AM »
I think they always mean it. They're not going to release something if they think it's subpar or not at the level of the other albums.
In terms of it being "the best thing we've done", yeah definitely. Have to say, though, the language being used this time definitely feels different tonally. Chycki's comments such as "innovative" and "complex" are quite different from the sort of words being used before we knew anything about the last couple of albums, from what I remember anyway. Not saying that necessarily means anything.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2745 on: August 02, 2015, 04:57:16 AM »
Why do people go on these crazy rants about theories when we will hear news about the new album?  There still in the middle of recording and broke off from a tour.  How hard is that to understand.  When they finish the album, they will release some info.

Because DTF. :lol
How else do you get to 79 pages of discussion without over-analyzing generic platitudes?

It does appear they've had more time in the studio this time around. We'll just have to wait and see if and how this affects the end result.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2746 on: August 02, 2015, 05:04:51 AM »

Because DTF. :lol
How else do you get to 79 pages of discussion without over-analyzing generic platitudes?

It does appear they've had more time in the studio this time around. We'll just have to wait and see if and how this affects the end result.

But common sense Blob! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2747 on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »

I'm saying I'd rather they don't try to be the heavy metal guys and write inspired music instead, letting elements of metal be there is it feels natural. They seem to write better music that way. Sometimes it seems they force their music to be heavy and it ends up feeling awkward instead.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2748 on: August 02, 2015, 06:35:54 AM »

I'm saying I'd rather they don't try to be the heavy metal guys and write inspired music instead, letting elements of metal be there is it feels natural. They seem to write better music that way. Sometimes it seems they force their music to be heavy and it ends up feeling awkward instead.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Chycki's statement on the new album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

« Reply #2749 on: August 02, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »

Shorter ?

They've been in the studio since Jan / Feb and usually the albums are out in September and we've had a single by now.

Dunno why I said shorter. I meant longer.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: August 02, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »
 :P

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2751 on: August 02, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
Well, the fact that the tour appeared and that it lasted a few months, will totally give them some chance to think differently of what they've done so far. So if they're polishing stuff at this point at hotel rooms, is because they feel that "this doesn't work" here and here, or that they could add something.
As long as this has an epic, it's ok for me  :D
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2752 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
I am totally cool with no "epic".

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2753 on: August 02, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
Me too. It's always nice with long songs, but I don't need them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2754 on: August 02, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Same here.  If there is one, and it rocks, then that is awesome too but I will not whine if we get a great album and there happens to be no epic. 

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #2755 on: August 02, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »
I would be okay with no songs longer than Breaking All Illusions. It doesn't have to be over 15 or 20 minutes to be good.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

« Reply #2756 on: August 02, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
As long as it has classic Dream Theater elements like extended instrumental sections (which should stretch some of the songs to around 10 minutes), complex parts, and hopefully some high vocals by LaBrie, or at least vocal melodies as interesting as Misunderstood and Forsaken, I'll be happy.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2757 on: August 02, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
As long as it has classic Dream Theater elements like extended instrumental sections (which should stretch some of the songs to around 10 minutes), complex parts, and hopefully some high vocals by LaBrie, or at least vocal melodies as interesting as Misunderstood and Forsaken, I'll be happy.

Yes, interesting vocal melodies are a must. They usually play it pretty safe, I'd welcome some variety on phrasing, etc.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2758 on: August 02, 2015, 06:29:26 PM »

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Chycki's statement on the new album.

Yes I was.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2759 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
I would be okay with no songs longer than Breaking All Illusions. It doesn't have to be over 15 or 20 minutes to be good.

honestly it doesn't need to be over 5 minutes to be good
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2760 on: August 02, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »
I really hope they force Kevin Moore to write some lyrics for the album.
Jatruccyundessgini

« Reply #2761 on: August 02, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »

Yes, interesting vocal melodies are a must. They usually play it pretty safe, I'd welcome some variety on phrasing, etc.
The ones on DT12 grew on me more. They weren't bad. Major improvement over the past 2 albums, but yeah, I'm not saying he has to go F# on every song, but make it fun.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2762 on: August 02, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2763 on: August 02, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
I thought that was a strength of DT12, some of the vocal phrasings were fresh. Maybe I am thinking of only a few and overgeneralizing, though.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #2764 on: August 03, 2015, 01:44:31 AM »

honestly it doesn't need to be over 5 minutes to be good
I'd like a 60 minutes song...  :biggrin: