Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 484779 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1890 on: May 29, 2015, 06:57:19 AM »
I think I will wait for secondary confirmation on this one. Right now there's an absolute dearth of information coming from DT; I wouldn't be surprised at all if a magazine "extrapolated" a bit to write an article.

A miscommunication based on a translated interview as our only source of information? Vintage DTF.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1891 on: May 29, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
Exactly :lol

"I couldn't drum up the courage to give them a call"

=>

"MIKE PORTNOY HAS ANXIETY TO GET BEHIND DRUM KIT. ALSO, SPEECH DIFFICULTIES?!"
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Frank

« Reply #1892 on: May 29, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
I think I will wait for secondary confirmation on this one. Right now there's an absolute dearth of information coming from DT; I wouldn't be surprised at all if a magazine "extrapolated" a bit to write an article.

A miscommunication based on a translated interview as our only source of information? Vintage DTF.

Ha ha! Indeed. Back to the waiting game!
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1893 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:23 AM »
Based on the schedule so far, I wouldn't be shocked if the album doesn't come out until next year. I'm just glad that instead of hurrying up they... take the time. :lhk:
Would love to hear something form a more credible source (no offense to a few words posted on a forum) about a release date. Would love to see something in 2015, which would be totally possible if they finished the album prior to their show obligations starting in July.
Their obligations start in exactly 4 weeks from today, 25th of June in Minsk, Belarus (apologies before I mentioned Poland but that's only 2 days later). So what can they do in 4 weeks, including planning tour setlist and do sone rehearsal? Not much, I think... Yeah, maybe some seabording here and there, fine tuning of minor details - but then they won't have a chance to add anything or mix stuff etc until August... Tour ends August 2 in Finland.
They've already started planning the setlist, because JP recently posted a photo of his new baritone guitar that he said he'll be taking on the road with him this year. There aren't a lot of DT songs with baritone guitars, so at least some specific song choices must've been made.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1894 on: May 29, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
Where did he post said pic?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1895 on: May 29, 2015, 09:07:02 AM »
They've already started planning the setlist, because JP recently posted a photo of his new baritone guitar that he said he'll be taking on the road with him this year. There aren't a lot of DT songs with baritone guitars, so at least some specific song choices must've been made.

It's probably more likely that he's used it on the new album. I doubt they've locked in anything concerning setlists at this point.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1896 on: May 29, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »
Where did he post said pic?

It's on Petrucci's Facebook.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1897 on: May 29, 2015, 09:38:43 AM »

It's probably more likely that he's used it on the new album. I doubt they've locked in anything concerning setlists at this point.

Quote from: JP
I'll be taking this beauty with me this summer on DT's 30th Anniversary European festival tour.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1898 on: May 29, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »
What are the songs that use the baritone?

I know These Walls does... and.... ANTR... right?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: May 29, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »
Oh right, the festival tour. Yeah, they'd have a setlist put together for that. I was thinking the album tour. Sorry, my bad!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1900 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:41 AM »
These Walls seems unlikely, given its relative obscurity and the fact that it was played the tour before last.  I mean, anything is possible.  The band could have really enjoyed playing it and decided they want to bring it back.  But it seems unlikely to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: May 29, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »
What are the songs that use the baritone?

I know These Walls does... and.... ANTR... right?
ANTR is in C tuning on a normal 6-string. Besides These Walls there's at least Blind Faith, Panic Attack and Wither - I'm probably forgetting one or two. I know Blind Faith is one of James' favorites, so I hope that one will get played :caffeine:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
These Walls seems unlikely, given its relative obscurity and the fact that it was played the tour before last.  I mean, anything is possible.  The band could have really enjoyed playing it and decided they want to bring it back.  But it seems unlikely to me.

What's obscure about These Walls? It would be a perfect festival choice, being "shorter" and heavy and catchy, and the fact it's been played recently could very well work in its favour, as the current line-up already knows the song, so it's less work for them.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1903 on: May 29, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »
I was just trying to remember what was on Baritone.

I can see Wither coming out. I'd be cool with that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1904 on: May 29, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »
I say Wither or Blind Faith if those are the choices,  These Walls was awesome when they played it but that was more recent than the other choices.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1905 on: May 29, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »
I presume the article about Dream Theater isn't online yet...

:tup

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #1906 on: May 29, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »
https://www.e-kiosk.pl/numer,86394,teraz_rock

Here's the online edition of that magazine. 2 dolars. If anyone wanna buy it and translate for us....  :rollin
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:38:01 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1908 on: May 29, 2015, 11:40:27 AM »
Sorry guys, but it's not my 1st language I haven't yet bought a new issue:)

In the June edition of the monthly Now Rock he has just been published interview with Dream Theater guitarist, John Petrucci. The musician told about the progress in recording the new album, recalled previous visits to Poland, and also summed up the past 30 years of the band. Petrucci: "It's really crazy, just does not reach me that we've been together so long. Flew like a whip shot. But we did a lot of great things: we spent lots and lots of records, played many, many routes and met many, many great people. We are happy and grateful for what happened to us, "- said in an interview with" Now Rock ".

The performance in Katowice is one of the first concerts during the next tour the band, guitarist assured, however, that we expect the best show on what they can afford. "(...) During the first concert you have to get used again to being on stage. But you know what? We always do everything to make first appearance was as good as the last. We will celebrate thirty years on stage, or we do it for a long time and so we know what to expect and how to do it well. And every concert we play the best we can, "- JP

Offline 425

« Reply #1909 on: May 29, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »
"Flew like a whip shot."
 —John Petrucci
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1910 on: May 29, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
Sorry guys, but it's not my 1st language I haven't yet bought a new issue:)

In the June edition of the monthly Now Rock he has just been published interview with Dream Theater guitarist, John Petrucci. The musician told about the progress in recording the new album, recalled previous visits to Poland, and also summed up the past 30 years of the band. Petrucci: "It's really crazy, just does not reach me that we've been together so long. Flew like a whip shot. But we did a lot of great things: we spent lots and lots of records, played many, many routes and met many, many great people. We are happy and grateful for what happened to us, "- said in an interview with" Now Rock ".

The performance in Katowice is one of the first concerts during the next tour the band, guitarist assured, however, that we expect the best show on what they can afford. "(...) During the first concert you have to get used again to being on stage. But you know what? We always do everything to make first appearance was as good as the last. We will celebrate thirty years on stage, or we do it for a long time and so we know what to expect and how to do it well. And every concert we play the best we can, "- JP

Thanks dude.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #1911 on: May 29, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure they'll be playing Blind Faith on this tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1912 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
Now that's what I call blind faith!  :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #1913 on: May 29, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
Now that's what I call blind faith!  :D

:rollin

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1914 on: May 29, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
"Flew like a whip shot."
 —John Petrucci

You heard it here first. :lol
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1915 on: May 29, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »
"Flew like a whip shot."
 —John Petrucci

God damn. :lol

There's just NO WAY he actually said that in English.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1916 on: May 30, 2015, 01:49:54 AM »
He actually said " brew like an espresso shot " :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1917 on: May 30, 2015, 07:28:34 AM »
"Flew like a whip shot."
 —John Petrucci

Why?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1918 on: May 30, 2015, 07:35:25 AM »
"Flew like a whip shot."
 —John Petrucci

Why?

Because nobody ever has.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1919 on: May 30, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »
"Flew like a whip shot."
 —John Petrucci

Why?

Because nobody ever has.

My logic is that I've never heard of that phrase before and I've lived in three pretty unique areas of the United States. And knowing he's from Long Island, there's just no way that phrase would be in his vocabulary. I'm almost certain it's a hilarious translation error. Think of him saying a phrase in English, then it gets translated to another language, and then back to English. Shit gets messed up all the time when you have these types of situations.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Frank

« Reply #1920 on: May 30, 2015, 06:32:01 PM »
Oftentimes languages have set expressions that sound perfectly fine to a speaker of the language ("time passes in the blink of an eye") but would be ridiculous if said word-for-word in another language ("jikan wa matataiteiru aida ni tatsu") - in this case the English expression in Japanese sounds awkward grammatically, phonetically, and even semantically, as the word for "blink" simply is not acceptable as a verb that can be used metaphorically. All of this is completely arbitrary, by the way - there's no real reason why "whip shot" isn't the norm - and everybody knows exactly what the idea is conveying - but it just wasn't because that's not how history worked out. Anyway, I could go on but I think it's fairly clear. In this case this is not as much about translation as much as semantic morphology.

And because it's fairly clear, I also think it's reasonable to not just poke fun at him, but to also suggest better alternatives. So instead of "flew like a whip shot," which indeed sounds very strange in English, one could use "flew by in an instant" and hopefully that would approximate whatever original phrase the Polish magazine used, which ideally conveys JP's ideas accurately enough.

Just as we'd appreciate people helping us when we learn a new language, I think it is common courtesy to offer helpful advice to others in that same boat - and we don't have to sacrifice having fun at the same time to do so.
- Jordan Rudess

Offline 425

« Reply #1921 on: May 30, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't intend to insult either JP or the magazine. I know that the way things like that usually go is that you have an interview probably done in English that is translated to another language (in this case Polish) that is then translated back to English, and that a lot of idiomatic expressions are lost in those translations.

I just wanted to point it out because "Flew like a whip shot" is humorously non-sensical to anyone who speaks English as their first language.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Frank

« Reply #1922 on: May 31, 2015, 01:22:48 AM »
Yep, no problem at all! I have no idea what phrase JP used in English and what that became in Polish - we only have what our poster here said. I was talking more about the way people were only making fun of "whip shot" and not also taking the opportunity to help the original translator here improve his English. Sometimes people could get the wrong idea and be discouraged, and it's a good opportunity to both have some fun and help somebody out while we wait.

Anyway, I'd say let's talk about the new album, but... ;P
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1923 on: May 31, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »
Well, to be fair, Polish is the hardest, most complex language on Earth :P .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: May 31, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »
Doesn't Kotow mean cat ? :p