Author Topic: The Kansas Discography Thread - THAT'S ALL, FOLKS (For Now)  (Read 44992 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - Third album: MASQUE (1975) p. 2
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 11:22:45 AM »
OK, there we go.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
While I admit Leftoverture is a more consistent album overall, Masque is my favorite Kansas album because it's the perfect bridge between their earlier more proggy days and the more streamlined, for want of a better word, sound that was to come. Doesn't hurt that I love Icarus to bits and actually rate All The World as a top ten Kansas song-the balance between ballad and prog, for me, is perfect and sums up why I love the album so.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »
I have loved the first two, and Leftoverture, for years, but it wasn't until the last few years that I grew to love Masque. I've always enjoyed "Child Of Innocence" and "Icarus", as well as the last two tracks. I still hate that the record company pressured them to split "Mysteries & Mayhem" from "The Pinnacle", but there's a couple of tries on YouTube that splice them back together to form an epic 14-minute album closer, which it SHOULD have been from the start just by looking at their previous two albums.

The rest of the album is just as good as anything else on their first two albums, and really, I kind of see the first three as a sort of trilogy of sorts before they broke through with Leftoverture (and like their fellow North American prog rockers at the time, Rush, their fourth album also was their breakthrough).

The fade outs do bug me, but they're not horrible. Live versions have proven to sound better anyway, so at least there's that.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »
I kind of look at the first three albums as a set, and the best songs from those three albums are as good, to me, as the best that any other prog rock band has to offer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
I kind of look at the first three albums as a set, and the best songs from those three albums are as good, to me, as the best that any other prog rock band has to offer.

:tup

Definitely feel this way, too. Between Rush and Kansas, NA really showed that prog was just as strong (if a bit late) in the prog game as their counterparts across the pond.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
I'd go as far as to say their first five albums are as good as any prog band's output overall, ever, and I can think of no other consecutive five albums that are their equal. But, that's probably getting ahead of the thread.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »
I'd go as far as to say their first five albums are as good as any prog band's output overall, ever, and I can think of no other consecutive five albums that are their equal. But, that's probably getting ahead of the thread.
You're not wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
Those first five albums are definitely pretty great overall, although Monolith was still damn good even if it had a few duds on it.  But there I go jumping ahead...:lol

Back to Masque, I remember when a friend made a mixed tape of Kansas back in the mid 90s (after Leftoverture destroyed me), and Icarus and The Pinnacle were the two songs from Masque on there.  They were instant favorites.  In fact, going from memory, I think that mixed tape looked something like this (50 minutes per side):

Side 1
Song for America
Icarus
The Pinnacle
Carry On Wayward Son
The Wall
Miracles out of Nowhere
Opus Insert
Questions of My Childhood

Side 2
Cheyenne Anthem
Magnum Opus
Point of Know Return
Portrait
Closet Chronicles
Dust in the Wind
On the Other Side
A Glimpse of Home
Hold On

I wore that mixed tape out pretty quickly. :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2015, 02:43:10 AM »
That's a pretty killer collection (although I'm not a large fan of Cheyenne Anthem - but again getting ahead of ourselves).

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2015, 03:28:22 AM »
I'd rank Gentle Giant's 7 album string between their debut and Free Hand even higher, but other than that, there's hardly any classic prog band with such a consistently good, massive output. (BTW, if the name of the game is excellent albums stretching over decades, DT wins the history of prog.)

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »
although I'm not a large fan of Cheyenne Anthem 

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

I'll say more when we get to it, but for now I'll just say that it is not only my favorite Kansas tune, but is probably among my favorite 10-15 songs EVER.  It's a  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy - song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
I am shocked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2015, 06:24:44 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
SHIT.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
SHIT.

:huh:

Forget to upload Leftoverture this morning? Or...did you just accidentally abandon this thread? :lol

Don't worry, this is how I felt when I did my Rush Live Tours thread last year. It's easy to forget, especially if the topic isn't very active or a few days or a week.

Will Leftoverture be up sometime this weekend, or perhaps even today?

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2015, 08:27:45 AM »
SHIT.

:huh:

Forget to upload Leftoverture this morning? Or...did you just accidentally abandon this thread? :lol
Forgot to upload.

Don't worry, this is how I felt when I did my Rush Live Tours thread last year. It's easy to forget, especially if the topic isn't very active or a few days or a week.

Will Leftoverture be up sometime this weekend, or perhaps even today?

-Marc.
Doubtful for today.  I won't be home until late tonight, so it will probably be tomorrow morning.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
Doubtful for today.  I won't be home until late tonight, so it will probably be tomorrow morning.

Well, however long it takes, take your time! This will give me another chance to spin the album again before the discussion tomorrow. I had listened to it in my car commutes last week thinking this discussion would happen sooner, but it'll be good to hear again.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
Ha ha, same here.  Two complete spins of Leftoverture, and I even moved on to Point of Know Return before realizing what I was doing.  It's okay, though.  I like Kansas.  Kansas is a band!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't want to talk about it too much before posting this entry, but if you don't like Leftoverture, you may need to pick a different band.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2015, 04:02:41 AM »
LEFTOVERTURE (1976)

"It rises now before me, a dark and silent barrier between
All I am, and all that I would ever want to be"

1.   Carry On Wayward Son (Livgren)               5:23
2.   The Wall (Livgren, Walsh)                                         4:51
3.   What’s On My Mind (Livgren)                                 3:28
4.   Miracles Out of Nowhere (Livgren)                              6:28
5.   Opus Insert (Livgren)                                    4:30
6.   Questions of My Childhood (Livgren, Walsh)                             3:40
7.   Cheyenne Anthem (Livgren)                                 6:55
8.   Magnum Opus (Livgren, Walsh, Williams, Hope, Ehart Steinhardt)   8:25
   a.   Father Padilla Meets the Perfect Gnat
   b.   Howling at the Moon
   c.   Man Overboard
   d.   Industry on Parade
   e.   Release the Beavers
   f.   Gnat Attack                                 

As the band started preparations for their fourth studio album, Kirshner continue to pressure for hits, hits, hits.  So, how did they handle the pressure?  Let’s ask Kerry Livgren.

“We knew that if we didn’t do something with this album, we were gonna be permanently put on the shelf.  That was such a pressure, that the way we chose to deal with it was to ignore it.  And what we did was write and play the songs we wanted to do in spite of everything.  And it magically worked.”

No kidding.  Leftoverture put the band over in a big way.  Released in October 1976, the album peaked at #5 on the charts in April 1977 where it remained for a month, as part of a run of 42 weeks on the charts.  This became Kansas’s first Gold album in January, 1977.  It became their first Platinum album in March, 1977.  It became their first Double Platinum album in June, 1977.  It would eventually go Quadruple Platinum.

Going into the writing sessions for the album, Steve Walsh hit a major dry spell.  His writer’s block led to Kerry Livgren writing almost everything for the album.  That need for creativity apparently caught lightning in a bottle, because the results speak for themselves.

The opening song, “Carry On Wayward Son,” was the fuel that drove the train of this album’s success.  It has become ubiquitous on classic rock stations, and also in commercials, TV shows, films, and everywhere else that music can show up.  It is, for me, the perfect marriage of prog and pop, and remains one of my favorite songs of all time.  The memorable lyrics, great melody, instrumentation & arrangement, and that glorious chorus combined with the breakdown to the piano in the first verse all combine to make a magical moment in the history of American progressive rock.  I don’t think it will ever be equaled in cultural impact, from that perspective.  And it almost didn’t make it to the album at all.

Livgren wrote the song on the next to last day of rehearsals before the band would go to the studio.  They were not supposed to be working on any new songs at that time, only doing touch-ups on the songs already written.  He walked into rehearsal and said, “I’ve got one more song that you might want to hear.”  Everybody liked it, so they learned and took it into the studio with their other new material.  “By the time we got into the studio and recorded it with the a cappellavocals, everybody said it should be the opening cut.”  Released as an edited single in November 1976, “Carry On” hit AM radio like a blockbuster and became the band’s first hit song, reaching # 11 in April 1977.  It was eventually certified Gold.

The album’s second track, “The Wall”, is magnificent.  Although not great in length, it is full of the power and majesty that was the hallmark of Kansas at their best.  Livgren wrote the song sitting at his father’s Lowry organ.  “It had this one setting that sounded like a big pipe organ, and the sound caused me to write in a little different veing than I might have with a guitar or a piano.”  But the lyrics may be the real standout for this song.  The song’s lyrics “represented maybe better than any song I’d written at that time, my personal spiritual longing to find an answer to life and who we are and why we’re here.  I felt like I was just up against this invisible, impenetrable wall that wouldn’t let me get any further.”  To, it’s interesting to compare the different directions that Livgren and Roger Waters went with the imagery of a wall.  Livgren’s take ends in triumph, while nothing good really comes of Waters’s take.  BTW, listen to the outro of “The Wall” and tell me what DT song it sounds like.

“What’s On My Mind” is another of the band’s more standard rock songs, both in length and arrangement.  The guitar-driven song wound up being the second single for the album, although it failed to chart (a bit of a surprise given the overwhelming success of “Carry On”).  Lyrically, each of the three verses is about a different friend that Livgren had had, with the third being the woman who would eventually become his wife.

“Miracles Out of Nowhere” is a fantastic rocker.  This song has some really interesting instrumentation and production, with a cool counterpoint section during the instrumental break and a furious outro following the final chorus.  On any other album, this would be one of the standout tracks, but on Leftoverture, it’s just one of the other tracks.  Even so, this was a live staple for some time.

“Opus Insert” is, in the words of Livgren, “the great overlooked Kansas song.”  I get what he means.  The musical arrangement is really cool, and the lyrics are pretty good as well.  This is another one, like “Miracles Out of Nowhere”, that would probably be better appreciated if it were on a different album.  Very tasteful representation of what can be done with prog in a pop format.

“Questions of My Childhood” is, in my humble opinion, a filler track.  I mean, it’s nice, I suppose, but there just isn’t much weight here, if you ask me.  It definitely doesn’t hold its own with the rest of the heavyweights on this album.  It’s nice, but nothing more.

The next track, “Cheyenne Anthem”, lyrically represents another link between the band and a keen interest in the imagery and narrative of Native Americans.  I think this is a noble attempt on the band’s part to produce a song in honor of the Cheyenne.  However, it doesn’t work for me.  The verses, accompanied by a strumming acoustic guitar, just kill it for me.  They are dull and dreary.  And then, you have the short bridge sung by children.  It’s a shame, because some of the other instrumental sections are really cool and interesting.  But the whole is less than the sum of its parts.  I’m sure that some of you will like this one better than I do.

The closing track, “Magnum Opus”, is a longer prog composition.  It is composed of various musical sections that the band had written for other songs that weren’t used, or sections that had been cut from existing songs.  They put them all together into this one extended piece.  The original title of the song was “Leftoverture”, but Dave Hope suggested that would be a better name for the album as a whole, so they went with the name “Mangum Opus” which was suggested by Wally Gold.

With the success of Leftoverture, Kansas changed from opening act to headliner act.  Before, they had barely made a living, but now they were making plenty of money.  Also, now they could afford to invest more money in the live show with better production.  And for some reason, they started to add slapstick comedy routines to their live show during extended musical passages.  These would run the gamut from a roadie in a top hat, raincoat, and clown mask running on stage during “Magnum Opus” and drop the raincoat, dancing nude under a strobe light, to roadies running around in nun costumes getting disrobed.  Things like this flew over the heads of most of their audience.  Phil Ehart said “We just thought we were a bunch of funny bumpkins having a good time; we were just a bar band.  We didn’t realize what a serious mode we had with our fans, with all these heavy songs and Kerry’s ponderings.  So when we started doing funny things on stage, we noticed that no one ever laughed.  They thought, ‘What do they mean by that?’” 

Holy crap.

At any rate, the 2001 remaster release of the album also included live versions of Carry On Wayward Son and Cheyenne Anthem.

To quote the character Justin Hammer (brilliantly played by Sam Rockwell) from Iron Man 2, "These are the Cubans, baby. This is the Cohibas, the Montecristos. . . If it were any smarter, it'd write a book, a book that would make Ulysses look like it was written in crayon. It would read it to you. This is my Eiffel Tower. This is my Rachmaninoff's Third. My Pieta. It's completely elegant, it's bafflingly beautiful," and yes, if you don't like this album, Kansas is probably not the band for you and you should probably move on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - Fourth album: LEFTOVERTURE (1976) p. 3
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2015, 06:24:33 AM »
Leftoverture is like Images and Words in that every song is a standout track! They are both albums with eight songs all ranging from utterly fantastic to freaking magnificent.  To this day, Leftoverture remains one of my 10 favorite albums ever.  I never get tired of any song from it, even the overplayed Carry On Wayward Son.

One thing a friend once told me about Kansas was they were really awesome at having great beginnings and endings of songs, and Leftoverture is a prime example of this.  Carry On... obviously begins with the iconic chorus; Opus Insert begins with that infectious keyboard line that makes you want to hear where they go with it; Questions of My Childhood is one of their best intros ever, with that dazzling keyboard line bouncing back and forth over that furious rhythmic jam; Miracles out of Nowhere and Cheyenne Anthem both also beginning with catchy as hell keyboard leads; etc.  And the album is full of songs with incredible endings as well, like, pretty much almost all of them.   :lol :lol

Speaking of Miracles out of Nowhere, the first time I heard that song was something I still remember.  Remember that mixed Kansas tape I mentioned earlier in this thread that a friend had made me?  Well, when I had asked him to make me one for Kansas, I was like, "Just put most of the songs from 'The Best of Kansas' on it, and he looked at the songs and was like, "Uh, no." There would have been nothing from Masque, and only two songs each from Leftoverture (Carry On... and The Wall) and Point of Know Return (title track and Dust in the Wind).  I had never heard any other Kansas songs except the ones on that best of I had, so he busted out Leftoverture and played Miracles out of Nowhere for me.  Given that we are friends, to this day, he still jokes about how my jaw was on the floor for a solid six minutes.  I couldn't believe a song could be that awesome, and keep in mind that this was, I believe, the summer of 1994, so it's not like I had never heard great stuff before. I was already into Rush, Floyd, DT, Yes, etc. big time, yet Miracles out of Nowhere had an effect on me that few songs have ever had.  It's one of the most  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy songs ever.

Cheyenne Anthem nearly had the same effect, and over time, I grew to love that one slightly more than Miracles..., but make no mistake about it that those songs are 1a and 1b for me in the Kansas pantheon of awesome tunes.

This, simply put, is one of the most perfect rock albums ever created. :coolio :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
No shit.

Yeah, we'll get to the "Best" of Kansas shortly.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2015, 08:10:13 AM »
This album is so lush! From the opening a capella to the closing violin notes, and everything in between, that's what always comes to mind for me. Every choice for keyboard sounds to the tone of the guitars to the length of the instrumental breaks is tasteful and lush. Without a doubt, this is a masterpiece of rock and roll and really shows what art rock had to offer to a much broader audience. Obviously I love this album and it's probably the quintessential Kansas record.

But here's my problem, I've listened to it too much over the years. Someone in this thread said they'd listened to a previous Kansas album, fifty to one-hundred times, and I can relate. I'd hate to even guess at how many times I've listened to Leftoverature. Two-hundred? Five...? In "Miracles Out of Nowhere" there was a skip in my vinyl record during the trippy keyboard section, just after the drums and bass join in and just shy of the 3 minute mark. I heard that skip so many times that the CD sounded wrong to me when I bought it in the early '00's. Just to get a proper sounding version, I bought a Technics turntable with a built in pre-amp and "ripped" the vinyl to Audition so I could make a 'proper' to me mp3. If you're interested, here it is.

I actually find it difficult to concentrate on the music because I've heard it so many times that it quickly becomes background noise to my thoughts. For that reason alone, Leftoverature is not my current favorite Kansas album, but it was for years.

I'm always better off cranking it in my truck or car...which I did this morning while driving my son to his job.  :)

Standouts to me are "Carry On Wayward Son", "The Wall", "Miracles Out of Nowhere", and "Magnum Opus." All the rest are terrific in their own right and the instrumental section of "Cheyenne Anthem" is one of my favorite prog moments ever!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:38:28 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »
Trust me, I've listened to ALL of this albums multiple, multiple times just in the lead-up to doing this Discography.  I can assure you that there are two albums in particular that I am virtually certain I will never listen to again.

This isn't one of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2015, 08:25:12 AM »
Something that must be pointed out as well, and I suspect Orbert will go more into detail on this, is the surround sound aspect of certain parts of this album. That middle section of Cheyenne Anthem has the keyboard and violin battling back and forth between the left and right channel, and who can miss the awesomeness of the keyboard lead around 3:30ish of Magnum Opus swirling around your head when you listen to in on headphones.  :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2015, 08:27:11 AM »
This is one of 20 albums that no matter how many times I play it, I never get sick of it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »
Like fellow North American proggers Rush, it seems Kansas's fourth album (also released in 1976) was their big breakthrough by doing what they wanted, the way they wanted, and without compromise, even though the commerical success was helped by "accidental" singles and great music over all.

When I first got into Kansas, this was the album that was suggested to me by many reviews and websites, so I got this first (at least, I'm sure I did get this first along with its follow-up album). Everything on this album is the perfect culmination of everything they had done up to this point, combining hard rock and blues with prog and compacting it into pop-length tunes with a couple longer songs. The previous album may have ended with "The Pinnacle" but this album was/is THE pinnacle of Kansas, almost in the same way that Rush had their success with 2112.

The opening 1-2 punch of "Carry On My Wayward Son" and "The Wall" is both powerful and beautiful. The last two tracks are also two of my favorites of the album, and they close the album in grand style! Everything else in the middle is just so good, too, especially "Miracles Out Of Nowhere".

I'm not sure if I over-spun this one when I first got into Kansas, though, but I find myself I don't reach for this one as much as their first three albums anymore, but I give it an occasional spin every now and then, and leading into this conversation about the album, I listened to it a few times, and I may spin it again in the next week or so before we get to the next album. To be fair, I don't spin 2112 by Rush (my FAVORITE band of all time) that much anymore either, even though I highly regard it (and Kansas' Leftoverture) very highly and respect what they are and what they did for the band. They're both great albums and very indicative of the prog sound that North America was pumping out, which was quite different than prog in '76 across the Atlantic.

From here on out, I've listened to the following Kansas albums less and less, so I'll definitely be revisiting albums I haven't heard in YEARS (especially after Monolith). This is going to be a great journey! :tup

-Marc.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
This is one of 20 albums that no matter how many times I play it, I never get sick of it.

Yes, this   A story about the album.  During the early 80's we had a cleaning a lady and every Friday the Leftoverture cassette tape would be in the tape player.  She did a great job cleaning the house while rocking out to Kansas.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Hef, I know this is your thread and you obviously like Kansas a lot, but wow.  There is no filler on this album.  It is 100% awesome, start to finish.  "Questions of My Childhood" is great.  The words are amazing, and the music, while simpler in structure, is still great.  "Cheyenne Anthem" to me is the standout track of the album, on an album full of standouts.  I think of it as something like "Song for America" but from the Indian's point of view.  2:31 in that song, the violin/vibes duet right after the children's break, is one of my favorite moments in music, period.  I had never heard anything like it before in my life.  Of course, this was 1976 so I was only 14, but still.  I still get chills every time I hear that section.

Her name was LeeAnn, and she was a friend of my older sister, so I'd known her for a few years.  She was a Soprano in the school choir, gifted with a beautiful voice to match her beautiful face and beautiful red hair that fell in waves and curls to the middle of her back.  She was a late-bloomer, not really blossoming until high school, but when she bloomed, the good Lord gave her a chest to match that magnificent voice that so many Sopranos have.  She was absolutely stunning.  And yet, she was always a sweet, polite girl, always very nice to me.  I crushed on many of my sister's friends, but LeeAnn was drop dead gorgeous.

She was chosen to sing a solo in the choir concert, and asked me to accompany her on piano.  I accepted, of course.  I don't remember the song; I just remember practicing it with her several times.  Dear Lord, she was beautiful.  She came over to the house to practice after school, and I was in Heaven.  LeeAnn in a pretty dress, LeeAnn in jeans and a T-shirt, LeeAnn in nice slacks and a blouse.  Wow, the material is kinda sheer, can I really see her bra through it?  Wait... can I even see...  What?  Oh yeah, let's practice.

After the concert, as a thank-you, she gave me a gift.  A 12" vinyl record, even wrapped, is pretty obvious, and the card said something like "Thank You!  If you already have this, let me know and we can exchange it."  It was Leftoverture by Kansas, and no, I did not have it already.

I'd heard "Carry On, Wayward Son" on the radio, first the edit then later in its full glory on the local FM station, but I'd never dug into Kansas.  "Carry On, Wayward Son" is a great rocker, and the song definitely had some cool stuff to the arrangement, hinting at a great band behind it, but I was not prepared for what I heard when I played the album.  For one thing, the violin.  There's no violin on the opening track, and this was before I was into Gentle Giant or even Jethro Tull, so the idea of anything other than guitars, keyboards, bass and drums in Rock was brand new to me.  I played it over and over, and when Point of Know Return came out, I played that one over and over as well, and somewhere in there, I went back and picked up the first three albums.  Those first five albums are so solid, so incredible.

I never really thought about the differences between British rock and American (or North American) rock.  We didn't call it Prog back then; the term hadn't been invented yet.  It was still "Art Rock".  A strange moniker by today's standards, but applicable at the time.  Within the Rock format, whilst doing something clearly recognizable as Rock, what can you do to push it to true art, examining and exploring the limits of the genre just for the hell of it, just because you can?  By this point, I was listening to Yes and Genesis, but also Rush, Kansas, and other more mainstream bands that had some game.  Each of these bands, to me, is excellent at what they do.  They take their chosen form of Rock as far as it can go.  Showcase the chops, juxtapose light and heavy sections for effect, change up the tempo or time signature, write lyrics that mean something more than "Baby you're so hot I love you bang me now."  Art Rock.

Something that must be pointed out as well, and I suspect Orbert will go more into detail on this, is the surround sound aspect of certain parts of this album. That middle section of Cheyenne Anthem has the keyboard and violin battling back and forth between the left and right channel, and who can miss the awesomeness of the keyboard lead around 3:30ish of Magnum Opus swirling around your head when you listen to in on headphones.  :tup :tup

Ahhh... listening to tunes on headphones.  The full cup, over-the-ear kind that seal out the outside world and leave you alone in the universe with your music.  Today, it's earphones, the soft kind that go into the ear canal but otherwise have the same effect of isolating you from the world so you can enjoy the music.  Still amazing, still magical, and still my preferred way of listening to music.  Well, that and the hour in the car I have every day to crank it out.

This is a great album for headphones, but also a great one for cranking out loud.  This is a great album, my first Kansas album, and still my favorite, no matter how many times I play it.  Thank you, LeeAnn.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
I'd heard "Carry On, Wayward Son" on the radio, first the edit then later in its full glory on the local FM station, but I'd never dug into Kansas.

Which brings up a great point, this is the only song I can think of that is just as great in a radio edit as it is in it's full glory. Of course I prefer the whole song, but when the radio edit comes on the office pop station I'm not put off in the least.

Great story Orbert! I remember crushing on my best friend's older sister, Brenda. Nothing was more glorious than sitting on the couch watching her eat her morning cereal, while the morning sun streamed through the window to reveal her nude silhouette through her thin cotton nightie.

:drool:

:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »
Dude!  The best thing about staying at your buddy's house was checking out the sisters in their nighties.  And yeah, that morning sun... the relaxed atmosphere... and her attitude of "it's okay, he's a friend of my brother".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
I don't do headphones/ear buds that much, except for when I go to the gym, but Leftoverture is always a great album for such purposes.  In fact, I was lifting to it earlier. :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
Kansas and nighties.  Two words I have never seen strung together in a sentence.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
But...  you just did it yourself. ???

Anyway, a few examples:

She stood there, the lights from the stereo illuminating and backlighting her nightie, rendering it nearly transparent in the darkened room, as she put on a Kansas album.

As the sounds of Kansas filled the room, she stood before me in her tiny little nightie, with mischief in her eyes and seduction on her lips.

A few moments later, I dropped the nightie onto the floor next to the Kansas album cover, and silently thanked Kerry Livgren for making this moment possible.

Hey, it could happen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »
Now I feel like I'm reading Playboy.  Ah the memories.