Author Topic: The Kansas Discography Thread - THAT'S ALL, FOLKS (For Now)  (Read 44990 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - Second album: SONG FOR AMERICA (1975) p. 1
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 06:40:21 AM »
At this spot in time, this is my favorite Kansas album. It hasn't always been. I'd always loved the tune Song for America, but a few years ago I was listening to the album while mowing the lawn and when Lamplight Symphony came on, this album finally sunk in. Previously I'd considered it light weight and emotionally thin (the song Lamplight Symphony, that is) yet the immediacy of the song, through good quality ear buds, brought the story home like never before.

I also like Hymn to the Atman...even the dated sounding effects on the drum solo! :lol Okay, it's a little cheesy in this day and age but the song is pretty cool all the same. The heaviness of Lonely Street, Down the Road and The Devil Game always takes me by surprise, but in a good way. Kansas brought the rock and roll with this record. In fact, that's what I always loved about early Kansas: yes they were art rock with symphonic elements but they never forgot to rock out!

I think both Dave and Phil are the stars of this album. Everyone always plays well in this band, and as an ensemble there is no group that has ever been better, but this album is short on virtuosity until you really listen what Hope and Ehart are doing. Man, what a terrific rhythm section and not just on this album!

Oh, and this is a awesome sounding album! Great dynamics and crystal clear. If you've never heard this record, I recommend headphones.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that in Kansas they let jail inmates have guns?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 06:52:06 AM »
Incomudro-Hymn to the Atman probably could have used some trimming, but I still love it to death anyway.  Those vocal melodies are fantastic, and that ending... :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The title track is easily one of the band's best songs ever.  It was one of those songs that I thought was utterly magnificent the first time I heard back in 1990 and still think it is. Very much a  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy -tune.

The other longer tune, Lamplight Symphony, is nice.  I really like the organ work in this one.  Not a favorite of mine or anything, but still a very good tune.

As for the three shorter songs, all are pretty good, but like the first album with songs of similar length, nothing really stands out, IMO.  But they were still honing their ability to write great short songs, and they would take a pretty good leap in that regard on the next album...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 06:57:56 AM »
Once again, I'm with you on pretty everything here.  The shorter songs are great, and probably what the suits were looking for, but the epics are where the guys got to satisfy their musical chops.  Not that the shorter songs are simple.  "Down the Road" and "The Devil Game" are both screamers.  I think "Down the Road" is my favorite short song of theirs, and "Song for America" my favorite long song.  I worked up a solo piano version of it once, including all the instrumental breaks, just for my own amusement.  Great song.  And "Lamplight Symphony" is a killer.

I also agree about "Incomudro".  It never worked for me.  I always thought maybe my attention span had been fried by then, but I've played the CD on shuffle and had it come up first, and it still didn't work.  The mellow parts are nice, but don't grab me.  The faster parts... are there any faster parts?  The song doesn't even stick in my head.

She began to fade, and her image disappeared
So he was left alone to face another night

To me, that's the only misstep in an otherwise perfect song.  I know what he's getting at, and the next line tries to make up for it, but doesn't really do it.  The ending of the song is supposed to be positive and hopeful, but it comes too quickly after the image of the old man still sitting there, alone, after she leaves.  The song brings tears to my eyes, and "Yeah, but it's all good because now he knows for sure" just doesn't make up for the loneliness and darkness he must be feeling, again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
I have a live version of Incommudro that stretches to over 16 minutes.  *shudders*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 07:28:38 AM »
Song For America is mindblowing.  Just a great progression from the 1st to the second album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 07:30:13 AM »
Song For America is mindblowing.  Just a great progression from the 1st to the second album.
The title track just might be my favorite Kansas song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 07:31:58 AM »
I'm heading to Foxboro today to pick up a few things from the pro shop so I'll be cranking this today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 08:40:07 AM »
Updated album posts with images of the album covers.  Meant to do that at first and totally forgot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »
Way to go, dumbass.

;)  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm a total space cadet.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »
To Infinity And Beyond!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
Pretty much what everyone else has said so far - the title track is one of my absolutely favorite Kansas tracks ever, if not my single most favorite. The other two long tracks on this album are pretty fantastic, and I love "Incomudro" as it is! As a drummer, I have always enjoyed the drum solo in the middle and never felt like it was too long or out of place. It felt just right for me.

The short tracks are more of the usual for them, but I feel they got better on this album compared to their first. This whole album is a great progression from their already amazing debut album. This is probably my favorite Kansas album, period, although the few that followed this are pretty good, too. This whole album just clicks with me and every track is so good.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »
The album cover for Song for America is very cool.  Actually all of Kansas' album covers are great.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
Second favorite Kansas album behind only Masque, but the one-two punch of the title track and Lamplight Symphony is untouchable. Great fucking album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 05:06:49 PM »
Love the epics on this record. Especially Lamplight, where they really captured a haunting atmosphere.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 03:08:03 AM »
In fact, that's what I always loved about early Kansas: yes they were art rock with symphonic elements but they never forgot to rock out!
Yeah, Kansas was probably the most rocking of all the classic prog bands, still, even their heavier songs had a sophistication that few hard rock bands could match. If DT can be compared to anyone, I'd go with Kansas and substitute the rock for metal.

Really love the write-ups, can't wait for my favorite, Leftoverture. Like many, I'm thoroughly familiar with their first 5 albums, but haven't really listened to anything after The Point of Know return. I'll definitely check them out based on your reviews. :tup

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 05:52:13 AM »
Following this thread, but probably not contributing much. Kansas is one of the bands where I own a few CDs and really like what I hear and want to explore further but never got around to. So I'm looking for this thread for more information on where to go next.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »
I listened to Song for America all the way through today.  Having listened to this album at least 50 times in the past, probably more like 100, I didn't think another listen was necessary prior to commenting, but this time was different.  This was a critical listen, trying to "find the good", more or less the way I listened to albums when doing my own discography write-ups.

Down the Road - Yep, still smokes.  Still my favorite short Kansas song.

Song for America - Still my favorite longer Kansas song.  The overture, the changes, the awesome two-part harmonies.

Lamplight Symphony - Ha ha, the heavy part of the break is just the slow part played... heavier.  I knew that, but it still makes me chuckle.  Still left just a bit underwhelmed by the ending.  Weird chord to end on, too.

Lonely Street - Better than I remembered, but still a bit of a drag.  Not bad, just doesn't quite grab me.

The Devil Game - Better than I remembered! I remembered it being so upbeat as to be kinda hyper and almost annoying.  I could handle it this time, especially the instrumental.

Incomudro - Hymn to the Atman - This one wins the award for "Most improved, if only in my mind."  Not really able to remember anything about the song after reading the write-up, I was surprised to find myself scatting along with most of the song.  I guess the problem for me was that a lot of it sounded like other Kansas tunes.  The "overture" is rather similar to Lamplight Symphony's opening.  The verse had something of a generic sound, but the words are great, again better than I remembered, and the song is actually quite pretty.  I guess the break does have a fast part after all.  I forgot about that whole buildup.  I like it; somewhat similar to one of the songs from Leftoverture, Miracles out of Nowhere, I think.  I'm not against drums solos in concerts; I'm one of the few who doesn't automatically head for the bathroom or the bar when they come up.  In real time, when it's happening right in front of me, I can watch just about anything if it's well done.  But on a studio recording, somehow it's different.  It's only a minute and a half, shorter than I thought, but the way all the momentum comes to a halt, then has to build back up again, just doesn't quite work for me.

In case you couldn't tell, I spent a lot more time listening to Side One than Side Two back in the vinyl days, and I think I just never got to appreciate Side Two as much.  All three songs were better than I remembered, even though I knew pretty much every note even after all this time.  Maybe I'm mellower and more tolerant now.  Or maybe I'm just more appreciative.  But an album I already liked has gone up a bit, simply by being listened to again with a different ear.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:50 AM »
 :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54:50 AM »
The big thing about the second album is the big jump to the classic Kansas sound.  You can here the evolution on this record.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »
Oh yeah.  These guys were still basically unknown, yet they put out an album with three "regular" rock songs and three epics.  That takes balls, at the very least.  And the epics weren't snippets of things strewn together, like a lot of bands do.  These are fully formed, orchestral, compositions.

Something I forgot to mention earlier that I think is worth pointing out:  Kerry Livgren is a beast.  Since he plays both guitar and keyboards, they could rock out with two guitars, or get proggy with piano, organ, and synths all at once.  I've never seen Kansas live, but Two for the Show is one of my favorite live albums because of the diversity of the music and what those guys were able to do in real time.  Of course, six guys is a big band, so there's a lot of potential.  But it takes a lot of work in the arrangements, and what they accomplish is great.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
I did see them live, but it was well after their heyday.  It was the early 2000s, and they were playing at a fair or festival or something up in Virginia. 

But they put on a hell of a show, even then.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2015, 04:35:22 AM »
MASQUE (1975)

“Sail on, sail on, I will rise each day to meet the dawn”

1.   It Takes A Woman’s Love (To Make A Man) (Walsh)      3:08
2.   Two Cents Worth (Livgren, Walsh)                            3:08
3.   Icarus – Borne on Wings of Steel (Livgren)                 6:03
4.   All The World (Walsh, Steinhardt)                            7:11
5.   Child of Innocence (Livgren)                               4:36
6.   It’s You (Walsh)                                     2:31
7.   Myseries And Mayhem (Livgren, Walsh)                    4:18
8.   The Pinnacle (Livgren)                                  9:44

Kansas’s third album is interesting for a number of reasons.  The overall sound of the album is dark, both musically and lyrically.  The album continues the band’s search for identity, blending more straightforward rock tunes with progressive rock compositions.   Also, while recording the album at Studio in the Country in Bogalusa, Louisiana, the record company really pressured  the band about the need for pop hits.  As you can see, that’s not exactly what they received. 

However, listening today to the first track “It Takes A Woman’s Love (To Make A Man)”, it seems odd that it didn’t do well.  This sounds like a prototypical hit rock song of the era – in fact, I have often thought of this as a Boston song done by Kansas.  Nice hooks, great vocals, nice arrangement – nothing not to like, right?  Wrong.  The version released as a single was heavily edited, remixed, and rearranged, sounding little like the album version.  It tanked.  Way to go, executives.

Next up is “Two Cents Worth.”  This is a mid-tempo rock song, and if the first song reminds me of Boston, this one reminds me a little of Steely Dan.  Opening with a nice bass & drum groove, the song is tasty, although nowhere near the elite of Kansas’s catalogue. But it is a nice example of Kansas drawing on their various influences to go in a new direction.  And then it ends in a fadeout (the second of the album thus far).

The album’s third track, “Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel” would go on to become a Kansas classic, and a staple of their live performances for decades.  Steinhardt’s violin is a real standout on this track.  Lyrically, the song is about the joy of flying in an airplane (fighter plane?), but also carries the knowledge of death in the skies as well.  The band would revisit this concept later.  Oh, and the song ends in a fadeout.  Really?

“All The World” is a strange song for me.  It can’t decide if it wants to be a sappy 70s ballad, or a progressive rock song.  It is apparently a weird hybrid of the two, but it doesn’t work for me.  There are definitely some nice musical moments here, and the a capella ending is really nice to hear (especially since it isn’t a fadeout).  But the song is a little too schizophrenic for me.

“Child of Innocence” would also go on to become a classic for the band.  The inevitability of death is the major theme of the lyrics, and the music goes along with it, contributing relatively dark riffs and accompaniment.  This song features some great vocal melodies & harmonies in the chorus, and the instrumental bits are fantastic, some really tasteful soloing here, both guitar and keys.  And then it ends in a fadeout. ???

“It’s You” is a shorter rock song with some nice instrumental pieces, but overall it seems kind of like a filler track.  For me, it doesn’t really get interesting until about the two minute mark, which is sad since it’s only about two and a half minutes long (the last 15 seconds or so being another fadeout!).  But nice violin work from Steinhardt throughout this one.

“Mysteries and Mayhem” features lyrics of nightmarish visions, and the music is a perfect companion.  It is a more straightforward rock song with dark guitar riffs throughout the verses and choruses, and while the bridge gets a little more progressive-sounding, it then comes back full circle to the pure rock.  Cool song.  But it ends in a fadeout.  WTF

The album ends with “The Pinnacle,” which at almost ten minutes in length joins the family of Kansas progressive masterpieces.  Reminiscent of earlier pieces like Journey to Mariabronn, Death of Mother Nature Suite and Song for America, this song takes you on a journey through different moods and time signatures.  Although the lyrics are, well, what they are, Walsh does such a good job singing them that they are easily overlooked.  Absolutely one of my favorite Kansas songs.  And more importantly, it doesn’t end in a fadeout!

The album was released in October 1975, and was in the Billboard 200 for 20 weeks, topping out at # 70 in February 1976.  Although it sold around 250,000 copies (which would now be a success!), it was not viewed as successful by the record company.  It probably would have done better if it didn’t have all those fadeout endings (just a guess).

But the band toured furiously, appearing in theaters and small halls throughout the country, continuing to build a rabid fanbase through word of mouth and hard work, since they weren’t succeeding on the radio.

The album was eventually certified Gold in 2010.  A 2001 remastered reissue features demo versions of “Child of Innocence” and “It’s You” as bonus tracks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:22:28 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - Third album: MASQUE (1975) p. 2
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2015, 04:45:16 AM »
I'm confused by your aggravation with the fadeouts, especially in the case of Mysteries and Mayhem, which is very neat how it fades out with main melody from the next song, The Pinnacle. 

That aside, this is a great album; probably my 3rd favorite of theirs.  The Pinnacle and Icarus are top 10 Kansas songs in my book, and All the World is a song I love a ton as well, thanks to some melodies that are out of this world. :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2015, 04:55:43 AM »
I'm confused by your aggravation with the fadeouts, especially in the case of Mysteries and Mayhem, which is very neat how it fades out with main melody from the next song, The Pinnacle. 
In general, I don't like fadeouts; I prefer actual endings to songs.  However, I understand that on an album, they can sometimes be used to good effect (see: Learning To Live).

But that many of them on one album is a travesty.  And I know that was a thing on 70's albums (I've heard it on a ton of rock albums from that period), but this is the only Kansas album that seems infested with them.

It's a personal thing.  If they don't bother you, then they don't bother you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2015, 06:00:28 AM »
Listening to the album now at work. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2015, 06:28:18 AM »
I agree with Hef here, I don't like all the fade outs--it's especially noticeable ITaWL, Icarus, CoI and It's you. Those songs are clearly done, so just end them. I don't get the thinking there.

I love the tone of this album. At first the midrangy sounding guitars bothered me but overtime I became quite fond them as they give the record a unique sound. Of course the keyboard tones are always tasteful and uniquely Kansas. I really like the horns in ITaWL.

My favorites from this album are Icarus, Child of Innocence, Mysteries and Mayhem and of course The Pinnacle.

I'm not sure what you (Hef) don't like about the lyrics of The Pinnacle, but then I'm kind of a dolt. With glory and passion no longer in fashion/The hero breaks his blade. To me this is quite a visceral lyric and really speaks to where Livgren's head was at. He was clearly searching for meaning that he wasn't finding just by playing music and partying.

All the World is just a step below due to the spastic nature of the song as Hef mentioned. Part country church hymn, part hard rock, part prog but never at the same time. Interesting but not something I seek out.

The other three songs are pleasant enough but I wouldn't miss them if I were to never hear them again.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:18:12 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »
I've got to say,  It Takes A Woman’s Love (To Make A Man) & Two Cents Worth feel out of place on this album and It Takes A Woman is a terrible opener for an album.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2015, 07:37:57 AM »
Personally, I prefer Masque to the rest of the 70s albums. The Pinnacle is my favorite out of the longer Kansas songs. There are recordings from the Masque tour where it and Mysteries and Mayhem are played as one piece as (IIRC) was originally intended. The record company wanted two separate tracks

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
I'm not sure what you (Hef) don't like about the lyrics of The Pinnacle, but then I'm kind of a dolt.
TBH, I wrote that 6 months ago.  I would have to go and look at them again.

I may have just been on my period that morning or something.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »
There are recordings from the Masque tour where it and Mysteries and Mayhem are played as one piece as (IIRC) was originally intended. The record company wanted two separate tracks

I knew it!  I always thought it was strange how there's the line "Mysteries and mayhem from the pinnacle I see" followed by the one and only appearance of the "Pinnacle theme", it fades out on that, then The Pinnacle starts with that exact same theme.  It seemed like maybe it was meant to connect them in similar way to Apercu and Death of Mother Nature Suite from the first album, but they didn't want to do it the same way, so this is what they came up with.  Now I want to hear a bootleg from that tour.

I do not want to hear the single version of It Takes a Woman's Love to Make a Man.  I've gotten to where I can handle the song; it's pretty simplistic for Kansas, but if the suits are paying the bills (as they always did in those days) and they want a pop single, this is it.  They should've just left it alone.

I'll get on board with the fade-out hate.  Okay, "hate" is a strong word, but while fade-outs can be used to good effect, leaving the impression that the song goes on forever, etc., usually I find it a stronger composition if you have an actual ending.  Once or twice per album I guess I can handle, but when over half the songs fade out, it feels to me like they just didn't bother finishing the songs or something.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a bit confused by "All the World".  I mean, it's a good song, but until I listened to this album yesterday (I'm trying to do better at following along), "All the World" in my memory was just the nice simple tune that starts and ends the song.  I completely forgot about the little prog adventure it takes in the middle, and yeah, it does seem to come out of nowhere.  Maybe that was the idea.  Hey, prog is about trying different things.

Icarus - Born on Wings of Steel is amazing.  My favorite from this album and one of my all-time Kansas faves.  I love singing the lower harmony part, belting it out in the car.  I actually played this album twice yesterday, largely so I could do just that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »
I do not want to hear the single version of It Takes a Woman's Love to Make a Man.
No, you really don't.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »
I'm not sure what you (Hef) don't like about the lyrics of The Pinnacle, but then I'm kind of a dolt.
TBH, I wrote that 6 months ago.  I would have to go and look at them again.

I may have just been on my period that morning or something.

:lol

Fair enough. Lyrics are always very subjective things anyway--we tend to bring our own experiences to them. For example, I never cared for the lyric; In twenty-five years, I have used all the tears in my eyes. It just seems frightfully naive to think that life has little left to kick you in the teeth with.

edit: By the way, I really dig the album cover. I seem to remember that was an existing painting and wasn't produced specifically for the album. Is that right?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »
Lyrics are always very subjective things anyway--we tend to bring our own experiences to them. For example, I never cared for the lyric; In twenty-five years, I have used all the tears in my eyes. It just seems frightfully naive to think that life has little left to kick you in the teeth with.

I was just thinking about that line.  The thing is, when you're 25, you really do think you've pretty much seen it all.  You've been to college (maybe), and been out in the real world a handful of years, and if your life has kinda sucked up to this point, there's really no reason to think that that's going to ever change.  That's what the song is about.

When I was in my 20's, I was having the time of my life, doing things most people do not get to do.  But I came from a crappy little town, and I met a lot of people in the small, dead-end towns we played, and they really didn't have a lot going for them.  Kansas is the music of middle America, the working class, the regular folks.  Whatever you are when you're 25, you're probably not going to change a whole lot after that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
By the way, I really dig the album cover. I seem to remember that was an existing painting and wasn't produced specifically for the album. Is that right?
:facepalm: Godammit, I forgot the album cover again.  Hang on.