Author Topic: Evermind's Top 50 list v. #1 "Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?"  (Read 47902 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Top 50 list v. #48 "Among the images of dear departed…"
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 04:10:45 AM »
It is really mind boggling how much Lady of Winter sounds like Edge of Thorns. That must be why I like it so much

If Allen/Lande made money, I'm sure Savatage would be quick to sue.  The rip off is one for the ages.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Top 50 list v. #47 "Rainbow colours entwined in fairytales"
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 04:24:32 AM »
I agree with you guys, the guitarwork on Edge of Thorns is excellent.

I already have Gutter Ballet and HoTMK shirts from back in the day , but Edge of Thorns is shit hot artwork for a shirt and one I've been wanting for ages  :metal 

Yeah, that's one hell of a shirt indeed!

And now, while I still have your attention, folks, here's probably a bit controversial update.

Shadow Of The Moon
Blackmore’s Night
Genre: folk / medieval rock

I’m not sure this update will be popular enough, and perhaps it’ll get me a fair amount of scolding for its appearance in my Top 50, but, well, can’t be helped. I’ve seen and heard a lot of hatred towards this band (not on DTF, mind you), and while I can admit they’ve got a bit repetitive over the years, especially from Autumn Sky and onwards, I honestly don’t understand all the swearing and dislike towards this album.

Blackmore’s Night is a band formed in 1997 by basically two people, famous guitarist Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow) and multi-instrumentalist and mostly-singer Candice Night. These guys began living together in 1991 and finally got married in 2008, so it’s not exactly your usual musical collaboration. Their musical collaboration started long before this album, for Candice provided her backing vocals and lyrics for Rainbow’s Stranger In Us All (1995), and been present on Deep Purple’s European tour in 1993 too. Specializing mostly in medieval ballads and sometimes rock tunes, this band often includes a number of covers of well-known songs in their albums, including classical tunes, famous folk songs, and tunes from Ritchie’s previous bands.

So, let’s again discuss the love and hate for Blackmore’s Night. I don’t know how it goes around Europe and US, but plenty of people in Russia can’t stand this band because “Blackmore was rocking and making such-a-good-music and then he found himself under the thumb of Candice and now plays this mockery of songs”. And, well, sorry, but this is disrespectful bullshit; if anyone tells me that, I likely will pretend I don’t know the guy. You know, I accept there is a lot of Candice’s influence on their music, but I don’t believe Ritchie would be still doing it after all these years if he didn’t have this medieval spark in him, not in the slightest. On the contrary, I think Ritchie nurtured all these little folk musical ideas during his years in Rainbow, refined them in his free time and that’s why Shadow of the Moon turned out to be so awesome. All the songs sound so fresh and new; there is no filler in here, only the evident celebrating renaissance mood alternating with some brooding, melancholic pieces. The explicit acoustic guitar work and stunning melodies by Blackmore improved by ethereal singing of Candice, all this spiced with a few electric guitar sounds, notable guests appearances like Ian Anderson with his famous flutework; cello, violins; along with the famous traditional songs rearranged splendidly, all this adds up into a stunning album.

While there are a lot of albums known for their somber mood, and also a lot of albums that fill you with energy, I’ve never found any record that affects me like that. I’ve discovered it quite a long time ago; it has left me in awe and never fails to do that ever since. If I need something calm and soothing, something to inspire me to pick my acoustic guitar and play it in the evening or in the night, this album does its job. It sets me in such a peaceful and lyrical attitude. It always does its job.

Favourite tracks: Shadow of the Moon, The Clock Ticks On, Play Minstrel Play, No Second Chance, Spirit of the Sea

If you liked some of the favourite tracks, be sure to check these guys live. “Castles and Dreams” DVD is one of the most awesome and intimate concert videos I’ve seen, highly recommended. And even if you didn’t like any of recommended tracks, check their third album’s title track Fires at Midnight live with acoustic guitar / violin unison. From 5:20 and onwards there’s just unspeakable beauty in there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 04:41:56 AM »
Ooh, Blackmore's Night. You know, I just played Greensleeves in my music academy christmas concert thingy, and it's awesome.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 04:53:14 AM »
Could never get into BN personally.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 05:02:17 AM »
Could never get into BN personally.

Well, this is fine, different tastes and stuff. I bet you didn't visit their live concerts just to ruin them and offend the musicians, like some Russian fans did in, what was it, 2008 or 2010. There were some drunk fans who just kept screaming stuff like "Quit this shit, Blackmore" and "SMOKE ON THE WATER PLEASE" during like, what, the beginning of every song (and as a lot of songs are acoustic, those shouts were very audible). I think the band played seven or eight song until Ritchie officially got pissed off, played Smoke on the Water, Black Night, and then left the venue. I called them "fans", but they obviously weren't, and that's what I was speaking in this write-up. I have no idea why would someone do such thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 05:09:09 AM »
No, I like Richie and respect the band, but just never was my thing.

Pretty funny he played Smoke and Night and then left.  :lol  Sucks for the fans that actually went there to see BN.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 05:23:22 AM »
No, I like Richie and respect the band, but just never was my thing.

Pretty funny he played Smoke and Night and then left.  :lol  Sucks for the fans that actually went there to see BN.

Yeah, the official Russian fanclub wrote an apologetic letter to the band later, if I remember correctly. Thankfully it seems the band and Ritchie himself doesn't hold any grudge as of now, their concert in 2014 (opening the tour for Dancer and the Moon album) here was awesome, the band was nice and inspired and the fans were respectful enough.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Onward!

Unisonic
Unisonic
Genre: hard rock / power metal

This is one of two occasions when the album makes this list not because of its individual strength, but mostly because I want to kind of honor the band for their great work. It doesn’t mean the album isn’t good though; I always enjoy the hell out of it, but it wouldn’t be on my list if this was the only thing these guys released. I wanted to avoid the ties in my Top 50, and I also wanted to avoid putting the extremely recent records here, so that’s why we get Unisonic here, while Light of Dawn (the second Unisonic album) isn’t making its appearance.

Unisonic is a german band mostly known because of two incredible famous persons on metal scene, I’m talking of Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen of course. However, they aren’t the only driving force of the band. A lot of band’s music, along with almost the whole Light of Dawn, is written by their bassist Dennis Ward, who also does the mixing and producing and all this stuff. Of course, there is also Mandy Meyer on guitars and Kosta Zafiriou on drums. As they say, true metal band doesn’t need any keyboards, but as Unisonic is also a rock band, Günter Werno played keys on the both albums as a guest musician.

When I was approaching Unisonic, I was careful and maybe a bit skeptical, thinking «alright, this is another supergroup with big names, it could be either satisfying or awful», and without a doubt it’s the former. The album is an incredibly fine blend of hard rock and power metal, with soaring vocals and strong melodies. Michael’s voice matured over the years, and now his singing of both low and highest notes is convincing and impressive. The songs are well-thought, all clocking around 5 minutes mark; they never overstay their welcome and pretty tightly packed with memorable moments. You’ll be pleasantly surprised humming them just after the first listen, that’s how catchy those choruses are, and not annoying at all.

The album has a few weak spots, for example, I don’t exactly like Never Too Late or Star Rider, if I was writing this list just a few months ago there would be no Unisonic in my Top 50. But in the meantime band released their second output, and from my first impressions it’s brilliant. It still needs to stand the test of time, but even now I can say it’s damn good, and it’s one of the reasons I decided to make a room for Unisonic in this list.

Favourite tracks: Unisonic, Over the Rainbow, My Sanctuary, King for a Day

Also, digipack size doesn’t always matter, and Light of Dawn could be even stronger than its predecessor.

Offline mikemangioy

Me do like. Wow, you really like power metal don't you  :lol

Didn't heard about them, checked them out, hit.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Man, it's like half of this list is power metal. Of course I do like it.  :lol

Glad you liked it. :metal

edit: Damn, actually, at this rate I will run out of things to send in your upcoming roulette.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:08:55 AM by Evermind »

Offline mikemangioy

Man, it's like half of this list is power metal. Of course I do like it.  :lol

Glad you liked it. :metal

edit: Damn, actually, at this rate I will run out of things to send in your upcoming roulette.  :lol

Well, my roulette is goin' to be a long time from now, so you better start listening to other stuff  :biggrin:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
YES for Blackmore's Night. Unisonic is pretty rockin' also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting seeing Unisonic in a top 50.  That first album was a bit of a grower.  I think it's a fine album but it couldn't be helped that expectations were so high.  Over time it remains a solid debut with a lot of great songs.  Light of Dawn was tremendous.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
YES for Blackmore's Night. Unisonic is pretty rockin' also.

Great to see some plain good old appreciation.  :biggrin:

Interesting seeing Unisonic in a top 50.  That first album was a bit of a grower.  I think it's a fine album but it couldn't be helped that expectations were so high.  Over time it remains a solid debut with a lot of great songs.  Light of Dawn was tremendous.

It's actually the opposite for me, I had low expectations and the album blew them out of the water for me. Such a rewarding listen. I honestly can't decide if I like Unisonic or Light of Dawn better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm the biggest Kiske fan around these parts. The first Unisonic was very good. It was so nice to hear Kiske singing this type of music.
I do like Light Of Dawn much better. The band just feels more together on it, which only makes sense. Plus there's none of that Kiske vibrato.
Love the nod to UFO's Lights Out & Rock Bottom during the We Rise solo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm the biggest Kiske fan around these parts. The first Unisonic was very good. It was so nice to hear Kiske singing this type of music.
I do like Light Of Dawn much better. The band just feels more together on it, which only makes sense. Plus there's none of that Kiske vibrato.
Love the nod to UFO's Lights Out & Rock Bottom during the We Rise solo.

I just don't know, Light of Dawn feels too recent to judge it, but it has some stellar tracks, I'll give you that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The first album suffered from not having a couple of really outstanding tracks like LOD had Your Time Has Come, For the Kingdom and Night of the Long Knives.  Everything on the first album is just solid.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Night Of The Long Knives was my 2014 Song Of The Year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Night Of The Long Knives was my 2014 Song Of The Year.

That's understandable.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I especially like how it goes *looking for the booklet - ah, there* "He's got a list on his mind". Epic shit right here. That's where Kiske is irreplaceable.

The first album suffered from not having a couple of really outstanding tracks like LOD had Your Time Has Come, For the Kingdom and Night of the Long Knives.  Everything on the first album is just solid.

And yeah, Your Time Has Come. When this track blasted through my headphones right after the short instrumental opener, I think I was in power metal heaven.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If they could make a full album in the style of Your Time Has Come, we really could have something special.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Light Of Dawn feels like the band is more comfortable with each other. If they can stay together, it can only get better. And it's been fantastic so far!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Too much cheese for my taste :neverusethis:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
If they could make a full album in the style of Your Time Has Come, we really could have something special.

Well, the diversity is still needed. I think Light of Dawn did pretty nice in this department.

Too much cheese for my taste :neverusethis:

Yeah, that's about what I expected.  :lol

Now, I hope pro-hard rock and power metal folks will excuse me, because here's when after not-so-subtle foreshadowing in a previous post Steven Wilson makes its obligatory appearance (however, not with the album you guys may have expected)

Storm Corrosion
Storm Corrosion
Genre: progressive folk rock / ambient

Here’s the second self-titled album from a supergroup of a well-known musicians in a row, also released in 2012, and the contrast is rather striking. If Unisonic could be described like «everything we do comes down to rock’n’roll», Storm Corrosion is more like «everything we do comes down to whatever our weird musical minds and souls will come up with». And the result is a thrilling experience. I mean, just look at this cover. :lol

For those who are unfamiliar with Storm Corrosion, it was a onetime musical collaboration between Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt, and I guess these guys are widely known around here. Chronologically, this album takes place after Steven and Mikael (with Opeth) released their albums, Grace for Drowning and Heritage respectively. Before the release, musicians noted that stylistically Storm Corrosion is kind of a closing piece to this weird progressive trilogy. And, well, I guess there are certain similarities.

I had my expectations quite elaborate when I put my copy of the album in a player, and the album matched them almost entirely. There's a lot of laid-back, relaxed sections with ambient vibe, a few sung parts with a bit of harmonies here and there, a few mellow, soulful guitar passages too. Of course you will find some awkward and strange transitions between sections, say, I can’t get used to this extremely odd fadeout in the title track at ~8:10. I thought my copy had some kind of glitch. I can imagine Steven and Mikael having fun imagining our faces at that moment. There are maybe two or three intense moments, mostly on Hag and Lock Howl, the latter track even feels maybe a bit out of place. However, all the weirdness and intensiveness is drowned in the serenity and beauty of the rest of material. The crystal clear mix is helping a lot too, though if you’re approaching a record with Steven Wilson on it, you kind of expect it.

I’ve found I’m listening to this album quite a lot, but mostly spin it on a background; but when I put my headphones on and get completely immersed in the music, paying attention to all the details and absorb the whole atmosphere of Storm Corrosion, the listen becomes very rewarding. In moments like these I’m reminded how much I loved this album on the first listen, and I realize I still love it now, probably even more. You know, I’ve met a lot of people across the web saying this album is the most boring shit ever, and well, to each his own, but when I started thinking out my list, I instantly knew this record will make it.

Favourite tracks: Drag Ropes, Storm Corrosion, Ljudet Innan
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:00:31 AM by Evermind »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love both of these artists but this is one album I actually didn't give much time to.  I don't think I was in the mood for it at the time.  I need to get the cd out and give it a spin.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I'm a total noob to all of these albums so far, but I'm following because of human interest - and listening along as I go.  Power metal is just not me - but I'm digging this Storm Corrosion thing so far.  I'm not a huge fan of Opeth or PT but I like aspects of the band, namely the vocalists, so hearing them together is awesome.  Drag Ropes almost reminds me of a less-abrasive version of something off Scott Walker's 'The Drift', which I quite like.  :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
^ that post is annoying to read.  I just meant to say: storm corrosion good. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought it was alright. The post, I mean. :D I realize power metal is a genre not everyone will enjoy (well, just like every genre really), but it just happens I do enjoy it, hence its abundance in the list. But I also like some mellow and atmospheric stuff, so here you go.

I love both of these artists but this is one album I actually didn't give much time to.  I don't think I was in the mood for it at the time.  I need to get the cd out and give it a spin.

Yeah, this album is eclectic and can definitely fall flat if you're not in the right mood.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Holy shit.  Drag Ropes, that guitar solo with the orchestra underneath and the visuals in that video (7:00) is so goddamn gorgeous! <3

I thought it was alright. The post, I mean. :D I realize power metal is a genre not everyone will enjoy (well, just like every genre really), but it just happens I do enjoy it, hence its abundance in the list. But I also like some mellow and atmospheric stuff, so here you go.

Oh, please don't take my comment as a slight on your personal taste :lol I get how one could enjoy the genre, it was just never something that resonated with me, in fact most metal sorta flies over my head nowadays for better or worse.  Meh.  It is what it is.  Kudos for putting me onto Storm Corrosion tho, I'm definitely going to have to check out the rest of the album.  I've always loved Mikael's clean vocals and jazzy guitar work. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
No offense taken, I've probably worded it wrong. It's all fine.

Well, despite the list being mostly metal, there will be a few good non-metal records along the way, so stay tuned, I guess.  :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

Those last two were two of my favorite albums of 2012, very good stuff.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  I'm not a huge fan of Opeth or PT but I like aspects of the band, namely the vocalists, so hearing them together is awesome. 

The vocals are THE reason that I do not listen to Opeth or PT.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
  I'm not a huge fan of Opeth or PT but I like aspects of the band, namely the vocalists, so hearing them together is awesome. 

The vocals are THE reason that I do not listen to Opeth or PT.

I actually like Mikael's clean vocals a lot, and while I admit Steven isn't a good vocalist, I respect how he writes the songs fit for his voice and manages to sound convincing and natural. And since the vocals on Storm Corrosion only add up to the atmosphere the whole album is building, it's totally not an issue for me. But, then again, I can see how it can be an issue for someone. Can't please everyone, I guess.

Those last two were two of my favorite albums of 2012, very good stuff.  :tup

2012 was a great year overall, I've got at least one more album on my list from it. But yeah, those two are indeed very good.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
And have another proggy update now, won't you?

The Whirlwind
Transatlantic
Genre: progressive rock

There’s only so much amount of happy progressive rock I can tolerate in a certain period of time. I usually prefer either more heavy or more sad, somber music, but when I’m looking for something more lighthearted (I know this album isn’t really lighthearted, but I don’t know how to put it, really), The Whirlwind is one of my usual choices. It could be because I’m a sucker for concept albums, or maybe because it perfectly flows together, I’m not sure, but this record is somehow attractive and maybe captivating. And the cover’s color probably also helps, when I look at my shelf and see a flash of bright orange color among the dull wall of grey and blue (well, mostly), I feel the urge to spin it. Maybe.

So, just in case you live in the cave in a deep forest, and I mean no offense to people who live in the caves in various deep forests, Transatlantic is yet another supergroup that consists of four musicians, namely Neal Morse (solo, ex-Spock’s Beard, Flying Colors), Mike Portnoy (yeah), Roine Stolt (TFK) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion), whose surname is damn hard to type, I think I wrote Trewaras and Trevaras few times before I realized what’s wrong. Well, speaking of Transatlantic, the band was formed in 1999 and released two albums, then disbanded in 2002, only to reunite in 2009 and put out this fantastic record.

Let’s start with expressing my opinion about the arguably most controversial thing among the fanbase, the endless debate concisely called “Is The Whirlwind One Song or Not”, where you can actually put any other long song divided in movements instead of The Whirlwind. I view it as one big song. I suppose the band themselves stated it should be considered as a single monster song, so I frankly don’t see why is it even a question, but, eh, whatever (see numerous SDOIT debates on DT side). But then again, this song has the distinct movements, differently paced, with various moods and features, some are better than others, so it makes sense to split it for the release. Speaking about movements and their moods, there are a lot of pieces quite similar to each other in their atmosphere, but there are also a few oddities fitting nicely into the whole picture, like The Wind Blew Them All Away or Lay Down Your Life. The first 57 minutes is mostly a giant, very well thought out buildup to the penultimate movement of this epic, where it comes to its climax in all its eternal glory, and the last track is the aftermath full of reprises. Now that I’ve written all this, I think it’s the structure of the whole thing that makes this album so appealing to me. It’s incredibly neat.

The Whirlwind is quite complex and also the most mature Transatlantic album, in my opinion. It has all this recurring musical themes popping up here and there, while also having enough unique parts that truly stand out on their own, capturing listener’s attention, which is quite a remarkable thing. If only Kaleidoscope was a step up from this, I would be in progressive heaven.

Disclaimer: for the most satisfying experience you should listen to the whole album

Favourite movements: The Wind Blew Them All Away, On The Prowl, A Man Can Feel, Is It Really Happening?

And on A Man Can Feel I always can’t help but go

A man can sense the speed of falling down
No feet on solid ground
Still time for change of heart
to reap the harvest of souls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :corn