Author Topic: Hypothetical: James Is Unable To Tour. Best Singer To Replace Him, If Any?  (Read 13194 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Hypothetical: James Is Unable To Tour. Best Singer To Replace Him, If Any?
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
I have the strangest urge to hear DT cover American Idiot front to back.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2015, 05:48:29 PM »
To see how bored Mangini looks playing Give Me Novocaine..

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2015, 02:15:24 AM »
Even though it could be interesting to see DT with another vocalist I wouldn't go to watch them with any other than James. It's pretending to sound like another.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »
I have the strangest urge to hear DT cover American Idiot front to back.
So do I. I know it would sound terribad, but I just want to hear it

Offline The Hairy Man

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Peter Gabriel or Hasse Fröberg.

Maybe JP could just do it - he loves some chipmunk vocals

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »
Peter Gabriel?

I get (actually I don't) that one may like Peter Gabriel, but really? Here? This is a Dream Theater forum.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
Peter Gabriel is great, but I have no idea why someone would think he's a viable replacement for James.

Offline The Hairy Man

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »
LOL

I wouldn't say he's any less viable than half the other people mentioned, it is hypothetical after all. FWIW I would say his strength is live performances, he has a good range and good voice plus is prone to riding a bike around the stage. It wouldn't work most likely, he would probably be restricted to earlier and lighter material.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2015, 11:26:06 PM »
I thought Peter Gabriel's range in the 70s and 80s was already quite limited. I can't imagine it being much better now. No way he could sing DT. Or even do a respectable job.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2015, 05:26:47 AM »
I thought Peter Gabriel's range in the 70s and 80s was already quite limited. I can't imagine it being much better now. No way he could sing DT. Or even do a respectable job.

So the guys are in the middle of their first instrumental passage,and Gabriel walks on dressed in his cape and bat wings and mask! WHOA! Actually his Slipperman outfit would be perfect!
Robert Plant in his early years would be interesting however!

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »

Peter Gabriel actually has pretty great range. He just approaches notes differently than James. More James Brown than Robert Plant. Plus he's way too sexy for the band. Too much sex. Humpin' like wut.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Rusell Allen 1995-99.

I don't think he would suit, but, just because DT and Green Day are my all time top fave bands, Billie Joe Armstrong.
I also think he would jump at the opportunity, as he's having a go at loads of different genres ATM!
I just imagined him singing A Change of Seasons. Jesus Christ

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

I don't think he would suit, but, just because DT and Green Day are my all time top fave bands, Billie Joe Armstrong.
I also think he would jump at the opportunity, as he's having a go at loads of different genres ATM!
I just imagined him singing A Change of Seasons. Jesus Christ

I can almost hear that in my head, which really surprises me. And...yeah.

Better one to imagine is The Mirror.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Newmz

I second wanting to hear tommy karevik.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Steve Stone

;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Don't worry guys.  I've got this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline krieger

Kevin Moore would be delighted to sing...  :rollin
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Luckily for him, Peter Gabriel's singing is never about range and reaching notes in the sky. It's about using his voice to achieve different textures and to be emotional. It works wonders for him, because even though his range is 'limited' he's one of my favorite singers (and musicians) nowadays.

On the other hand, I do agree his voice doesn't fit DT. At all.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RtrooperW

James is irreplaceable, however there are several great singers that MIGHT be able to accomplish this feat. I would go with either Tommy Karevik (Kamelot), Paul Adrian Villarreal (Sun Caged), Richard Marshall (Prospekt), or Marco Sandron (Pathosray). All great in their own right, but James is the ultimate voice and personality of DT!!!  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Greg Puciato is the obvious choice.

edit: lol, apparently I posted this exact same thing when this thread first started. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I still say Justin Hawkins.

Proof : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR35pRz7JQ8   :metal

Those are some crazy highs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
I know his register doesn't go comfortably as high as James' does but considering a lot of the newer stuff with the raspy vocals James seems awkward singing live sometimes, I'd love to see Russell Allen take on some Dream Theater songs.

Offline Architeuthis

Cant think of anyone who could do justice as a replacement singer. Dream Theater without James Labrie is the equivalent of Yes without Jon Anderson. Yes is one of my all-time fav bands, but they lost me with the absence of Jon Anderson.. I won't go to see them live anymore..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran

<--------------

Let him grow a goatee and people wouldn't even notice it isn't James.

Offline goo-goo

Damian Wilson would probably do a good job too

Offline ErHaO

I was watching a Revamp proshot concert and have the latest Nightwish dvd fresh in mind. I kind of think it would be an interesting experiment to have Floor do some DT songs. Aside from her pleasant clean voice, she can tear things apart in her metal mode. I think she could pull off the awake stuff really well. I want her to do the later DT-discography MP growling parts too, haha.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

Claudio Sanchez :metal    DT would sound awesome with his singing and songwriting.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Claudio Sanchez :metal    DT would sound awesome with his singing and songwriting.

Hell no.

Offline Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

I know his register doesn't go comfortably as high as James' does but considering a lot of the newer stuff with the raspy vocals James seems awkward singing live sometimes, I'd love to see Russell Allen take on some Dream Theater songs.

Frankly, it's unclear whether Russell can go as comfortably high as James. He gets some F5s in AMob that sound pretty easy. He just doesn't choose to go up there, which could be due to style, ability, or both. Have always wondered what he'd do with, say, the LTL F# (or any high note of that kind, not necessarily one in a DT context). Could be anything from a total bust to spectacular.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Frankly, it's unclear whether Russell can go as comfortably high as James. He gets some F5s in AMob that sound pretty easy. He just doesn't choose to go up there, which could be due to style, ability, or both. Have always wondered what he'd do with, say, the LTL F# (or any high note of that kind, not necessarily one in a DT context). Could be anything from a total bust to spectacular.

I saw a Symphony X show a while back and during an instrumental part, Russell was trying to echo the notes Michael Romeo was playing on his guitar.  While he was able to get up into some higher registers, you could tell he was out of his element.  Maybe he's worked on that since then, but either way I'd still love to hear him take a stab at some DT.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

I saw a Symphony X show a while back and during an instrumental part, Russell was trying to echo the notes Michael Romeo was playing on his guitar.  While he was able to get up into some higher registers, you could tell he was out of his element.  Maybe he's worked on that since then, but either way I'd still love to hear him take a stab at some DT.

I'm sure Adrenaline Mob will cover DT for their next covers album.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

I'm sure Adrenaline Mob will cover DT for their next covers album.

I heard Russell wanted to invite MP back into the band just for those tracks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Adrenaline Mob Plays THE MOB.

10 Adrenaline Mob songs as you've never heard them again before ! !

* * Completely re - recorded from scratch ! * *

10 new recordings of classic ( i.e from one original album of studio material ago ) songs such as

FEEL THE ADRENALINE !! Now with 33.3% more adrenaline for you to feel !!

" Adrenaline Mob Plays The Mob RULES " - Pitchfork Media.

Released March 30 !

Re-Released September 30 with a bonus CD of previously recorded cover songs re-recorded ! Adrenaline Mob Covers The Mob COVERS !!!

Buy 10 today !