Author Topic: Bands you are not personally into but still respect  (Read 5754 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bands you are not personally into but still respect
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »
So I've thought about this a few times over the years. A band I really admire from afar is Pearl Jam. I got their first album when it came out, but found that I just could not make it through the whole thing. I guess ultimately they're just not my cup of tea.
But like Dream Theater, they seem to have really given their fans a lot to chew on, goodies, rotating setlists, etc..I remember a few years ago they played here in Mansfield and played their entire catalog over three nights. That kind of thing is awesome.

Anyway, I heard Evenflow on the radio this morning, and finally decided to start a thread that I had been thinking about.

So, anyone have bands that they are not into, yet still respect?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Bands you are not personally into but still respect
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
The Rolling Stones are the first that come to mind for me.

I'll think about it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
I'd like to say Tool, but... Probably Metallica and Black Sabbath.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:19:46 AM »
Thanks Fluff, that's a great article  and "dead" on. ;D

And frankly, for all of MP's quirks, he truly understood the relationship with the fans, He looked at his band through the eyes of a fan. Ytsejam records, rotating setlists, GDT. It all lasts to an investing experience. And no, this is not a thread for MP debate.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:24:55 AM »
Yeah, I hardly care for Pearl Jam much after their first few albums, but I can see how someone could find them a brilliant band.

For me, the first names to come to mind are Zappa, Bowie and Queen.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »
Not sure if this counts, but I think Adele is an extremely talented singer, even though I'm not a fan of a lot of her stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 08:43:13 AM »
Of course it counts, Ninja.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
Foo Fighters immediately came to mind when I read the title, instantly. I don't dislike their music, it just isn't my style and I can never get into it when I hear it, but a lot of my friends are into it and they're clearly a talented, popular band the world over. I just find their music to be a bit boring, for lack of a better word; it just doesn't hit me or rope me in. Not my style, is all; but definitely still respect their work and they're great at what they do.

Others...I'm not sure, that's really one of the only bands where I really don't dislike the music, it's just kinda like I know it's not for me and that's that; other bands I genuinely don't like the music or it puts me off in some way. Even with hugely popular bands like AC/DC just annoy the hell out of me and I genuinely don't understand how they're so massively (or were) popular. I'm sure I'll think of others. Interesting thread.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:36:38 AM »
Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam, Genesis are the first ones that come to mind.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:40:14 AM »
I really wish I liked Frank Zappa's music, because he seems like he was a real stand-up guy who did what he believed in, both within music and in his personal life. But God I think his music is terrible.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
Prince.  I can put together a greatest hits and like listening to it but full albums of his I can't listen to it.  The man is uber talented and writes catchy tunes but full albums are out for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »
The Rolling Stones also instantly popped up in my mind. It's hard to imagine the world without them, that's why I respect them. I just don't care for their music. Like, not at all. Okay, I like 'Paint it Black' quite a bit.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
Jeff Beck.

I admire his importance to guitar playing and rock in general...and the skill with which he does the near impossible. I just don't care for the sound...or, his musical aesthetic.

Super cool dude though!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline emtee

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »
I realize I'm out of line with 99.5% of society on this one but the Beatles. Huge Respect and admiration but they just never
clicked. McCartney's solo work on the other hand moves me. Go figure...

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »
Radiohead
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »
Not a band, but honestly, if you ask me this question, a year ago, I would have said Justin Timberlake.  Since then, I guess I can say I'm more of a fan of his now.  Nowadays, I say Taylor Swift.  I heard her music at my house, from time to time, since my older sister has been playing her new album a good amount and, honestly, it's not that bad from what I've heard.  It sounds very listenable compared to her contemporaries.

As for bands, hmmm, I guess Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana.  Some of the songs, I hear, are good enough, but I just do not have as much personal enjoyment with those guys (I still appreciate what they contribute) as I do with Foo Fighters or Soundgarden.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »
Man, years ago I could have so completely related to the Radiohead one; but one day, and it really seemed overnight, I just randomly heard a song of theirs and somehow loved the shit out of the rest (I don't even remember which song spurred it on, I'm pretty sure it was something from Hail/Thief). Either something clicked or something broke.  :rollin Now they're one of my favorites. I'm wondering if that'll happen to anyone else for any bands, like myself and Foo Fighters. Taste buds change over time, why not musical buds?  :P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »
Man, years ago I could have so completely related to the Radiohead one; but one day, and it really seemed overnight, I just randomly heard a song of theirs and somehow loved the shit out of the rest (I don't even remember which song spurred it on, I'm pretty sure it was something from Hail/Thief). Either something clicked or something broke.  :rollin Now they're one of my favorites. I'm wondering if that'll happen to anyone else for any bands, like myself and Foo Fighters. Taste buds change over time, why not musical buds? :P

For me, that's Switchfoot.  I asked a few people from another forum on what album should I listened to of theirs, the people said The Beautiful Letdown album.  Got some good songs and all.  Heard their latest, Fading West.  Had a bit of a poppier direction, but still had some decent songs, but nothing to really get personally into at first. 

All of a sudden, I watched a live stream of theirs, last month, and suddenly, I'm just listening and enjoying a lot of Switchfoot, especially the song Where I Belong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
I'm really tempted to say Radiohead, but that's probably just my knee-jerk reaction every time someone calls them "the best band ever". :lol

I think most popular grunge acts such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden fall into that list for me. Alice in Chains I actually enjoy quite a bit however.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
Add the Stones for me. I respect them, I understand their importance, I don't enjoy their music in the least.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
I would say Queen

Very casual fan, but respect their work.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 01:43:59 AM »
I would say Queen
Ditto.

To some degree The Beatles. I like Revolver and sort of like Abbey Road, but the rest isn't my thing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 02:15:55 AM »
Animals as Leaders

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 02:27:57 AM »
Iron Maiden

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 05:31:57 AM »
I would say Queen
Ditto.

To some degree The Beatles. I like Revolver and sort of like Abbey Road, but the rest isn't my thing.

Double ditto, except for the Beatles.  If you had asked me a year ago about the Beatles I would've had the same sort of response as LieLow, but I've basically forced myself to listen to their catalogue for the last 3-4 months and I honestly think there isn't a band in history that can match what they managed to achieve.

Also this thread makes me a little sad :lol

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 07:36:44 AM »
I would say Queen
Ditto.

Double ditto, except for the Beatles.  If you had asked me a year ago about the Beatles I would've had the same sort of response as LieLow, but I've basically forced myself to listen to their catalogue for the last 3-4 months and I honestly think there isn't a band in history that can match what they managed to achieve.

....other than Queen  :P

As far as the OP I''d say Led Zep. Just cannot listen to their stuff. I get that they were highly influential and respect what they did - but it just never clicked.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »
I have some weird feelings when it comes to The Beatles, because even though they aren't among the top of my favorite bands/artists or anything, I would consider them maybe the most likable band ever. I can understand if people aren't big fans of them, but I'm honestly baffled when people express hatred or a strong dislike for them. Even if the music isn't your cup of tea, they just have a certain charm to them. Albums like Abbey Road or Sgt Pepper are in my opinion impossible not to like. And again, I don't have either of those albums at the very top of my favorites, and Beatles as a whole would probably not make my top50 favorite artists/bands, but they're just so darn likable. Their music is often pretty positive and fun and very easy to listen to.

I don't know, maybe it's more impressive that they wrote this amazing and accessible "pop"-music 40 years ago, and a lot of the modern mainstream artists doesn't come close in writing as good music.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 07:53:36 AM »
I love the Beatles. Abbey Road is one of my all time favey albums by anyone.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »
I'm about the most lukewarm Beatles fan in existence. There are a handful of good to great songs on each album. The rest are average to shite.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
Iron Maiden
Prince
Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
Albums like Abbey Road or Sgt Pepper are in my opinion impossible not to like.
I'd say I don't like that one. A Day in the Life is definitely one of their best songs, but until that comes up almost every song just breezes by without me finding anything to enjoy.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
Had the Beatles mostly done stuff like their more adventurous songs, I would probably enjoy them more. But, the Obla Di's, Paperback Writers and All You Need Is Love's kill it for me. Like, they're well executed and stuff, but it's still 60s boy band material. Might as well listen to Katy Perry.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
Yeah, but even the simple stuff is still pretty great, musically.  All You Need is Love is an incredibly clever pop song.  The verses are basically count like a bar of 7/4, two bars of 4/4 and a bar of 7/4.  Not to mention the way they'll pop in a random tag of like a bar of 2/4 at the end of a section just for shits and gigs.  I imagine Katy Perry would probably have an aneurysm trying to figure out little quirks like that.

I guess it is 60s boy band material but its really only because they were so instrumental in defining it.  And I'd take it over modern boy band music any day.

I would say Queen
Ditto.

....other than Queen  :P

As far as the OP I''d say Led Zep. Just cannot listen to their stuff. I get that they were highly influential and respect what they did - but it just never clicked.

Oh, you.  I dunno what it is with Queen.  Its just something about their vibe that I kinda just can't stand but can't quite put me finger on.  Its weird because I know they have some great music.