Author Topic: Bands you are not personally into but still respect  (Read 5791 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Bands you are not personally into but still respect
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 03:37:25 PM »
I used to be a huge Yes fan, but I thought their 1999 album "The Ladder" was just plain awful!
They REALLY "jumped the shark" with that one!
And I even stayed with them after "Open Your Eyes," which a lot of other people hated!

But I still reespect their talent and their musicianship, but I haqven't been able to get back into them, because in addition to that horrible album, I'm getting sick of how much worse the "musical chairs" game is getting regarding the instability of their line-up. They should take a lesson from Iron Maiden, and find a way to make it work!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Had the Beatles mostly done stuff like their more adventurous songs, I would probably enjoy them more. But, the Obla Di's, Paperback Writers and All You Need Is Love's kill it for me. Like, they're well executed and stuff, but it's still 60s boy band material. Might as well listen to Katy Perry.

Like Hef would say: "This post is wrong on so many levels".
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
Hey, Katy Perry has some good songs.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 03:51:05 PM »

The only time I enjoy a Katy Perry song is when the video comes on TV and I can watch it on mute.  :hat

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
Well, it's not only about her but, let me explain:

"Had the Beatles mostly done stuff like their more adventurous songs, I would probably enjoy them more."

Beatles wrote simple songs that are great as their adventurous ones. I get that it's subjective and all but i don't think complexity makes songs better than others.

"But, the Obla Di's, Paperback Writers and All You Need Is Love's kill it for me."

What is Paperback Writer or even All You Need Is Love doing there?

"Like, they're well executed and stuff, but it's still 60s boy band material. Might as well listen to Katy Perry."

60s boy/girl bands still produced legendary songs, something i can't say for modern equivalents.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:18:58 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »

THIS post is wrong on so many levels!!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 04:09:58 PM »
Nah. I mean, I'm not a huge fan or anything, but credit where credit is due and all that. I get that some people don't care for her music, though, and that's cool.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
As for the Beatles:

I have a tremendous amount of respect for them as pioneers and innovators.

They were a HUGE influence on pretty much everyone who came after them, as well as a lot of their peers.

Sure they may be largely responsible for a lot of the "boy bands," but there are a lot of prog and metal bands and musicians that cite them as an influence in addition to a lot of pop and "modern rock' bands.

And as they went along, they matured and progressed as musicians and song-writers/lyricists as well.

But I DO agree that they weren't (at least not always) the BEST band in the world, either.

To me, "Magical Mystery Tour" (the song, not the album) and the interminable ending to "Hey Jude," as well as pretty much all of "Let it Be" are completely unlistenable.

So over all I think we just have to allow everyone to have their own opinion about these kinds of things. It's an argument that will never be settled.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
Nah. I mean, I'm not a huge fan or anything, but credit where credit is due and all that. I get that some people don't care for her music, though, and that's cool.

I was just kidding.

She gets on my nerves, but to each their own.

Not everybody likes all of the same music.

For example: I like AC/DC, but a lot of people on this forum HATE them.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 01:46:32 AM »
The Beatles
Radiohead
Meshuggah
some underground rappers

Calvin6s

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 02:07:05 AM »
I really wish I liked Frank Zappa's music
Me too.  I can kinda dig Hot Rats, but I don't have an urge for it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 08:18:02 AM »
Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
Man, years ago I could have so completely related to the Radiohead one; but one day, and it really seemed overnight, I just randomly heard a song of theirs and somehow loved the shit out of the rest (I don't even remember which song spurred it on, I'm pretty sure it was something from Hail/Thief). Either something clicked or something broke.  :rollin Now they're one of my favorites. I'm wondering if that'll happen to anyone else for any bands, like myself and Foo Fighters. Taste buds change over time, why not musical buds? :P

For me, that's Switchfoot.  I asked a few people from another forum on what album should I listened to of theirs, the people said The Beautiful Letdown album.  Got some good songs and all.  Heard their latest, Fading West.  Had a bit of a poppier direction, but still had some decent songs, but nothing to really get personally into at first. 

All of a sudden, I watched a live stream of theirs, last month, and suddenly, I'm just listening and enjoying a lot of Switchfoot, especially the song Where I Belong.

Great band and sound.  :tup
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 06:09:48 PM »
Rush. I listen to them and they're good, just not a band I would listen to regularly. Maybe it's because Geddy Lee's voice isn't much my cup of tea.

Please don't kill me, DTF.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
Queen is one of those bands for me. There are times that I think that they're absolutely brilliant, but I don't usually feel inclined to listen to them. I have been listening to Queen II a lot lately, however. I'm hoping that it eventually leads me into appreciating them more.

Tool. Once again, I think that they're brilliant, but I have a hard time listening to them.

I'm a big fan of the PG era of Genesis, and the first few albums with Phil singing. I also like certain albums from Yes in the late 60's and throughout the 70's. But I just can't listen to other prog bands from that era. King Crimson and ELP are chock full of great musicians, but nothing that they do interests me at all. I have a great amount of respect for their talent, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 09:42:25 PM »
The Who. I don't get much enjoyment out of listening to their music but I understand the appeal as well as the impact they had on rock music.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 11:56:59 PM »
Rush. I listen to them and they're good, just not a band I would listen to regularly.

This, and

Queen is one of those bands for me. There are times that I think that they're absolutely brilliant, but I don't usually feel inclined to listen to them.

This. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 03:42:37 AM »
Most of Rush (especially the 80's), Genesis and King Krimson.

Everything by Radiohead and Haken.

Edit: I should note that I am a huge fan of a select few Rush albums, namely 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemishperes and that I love Clockwork Angels.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:38:23 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 03:51:17 AM »

:lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
King Crimson
The Doors

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »

:lol

I was hoping at least one person would get that. :biggrin:

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 07:27:56 AM »
King Crimson

What have you heard?

The thing with King Crimson is, at any point in their career, you move forward a few albums and you're listening to an entirely different band.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »
David Bowie.

I admire and respect David Bowie beyond words, but I just can not get into 95% of his music. Its something I can't explain, but that's just the way it is I guess.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
King Crimson

What have you heard?

The thing with King Crimson is, at any point in their career, you move forward a few albums and you're listening to an entirely different band.

I've heard In The Court, Lark's Tongues and Discipline.....wasn't a big fan of any of them.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29:52 AM »
Arnold Schoenberg. He basically ripped music apart to where it could no longer be ripped. He broke ALL the rules. I hate how his music sounds, and it is EXTREMELY hard to digest (most of it, at least), but he basically pioneered what is called "atonal" music, a type of music that has no tonal center, and the only scale one can know is the 12-note chromatic scale, starting on any note. We're so used to tonality, it is virtually impossible to "get" his music. And honestly, I think it's dumb. But it's the end of music's evolution. It can't go any further once all the rules are broken.

Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrjg3jzP2uI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSvA8oP7rw

and a great lecture about him and atonality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwVvbWd-tg
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2015, 05:41:48 AM »
I guess AC/DC for sticking to the same formula for so long and still being mega-successful .

Although I'm not a fan.

The same with Springsteen. I can't say i'm a "fan" but I like a few songs here and there.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »
Arnold Schoenberg. He basically ripped music apart to where it could no longer be ripped. He broke ALL the rules. I hate how his music sounds, and it is EXTREMELY hard to digest (most of it, at least), but he basically pioneered what is called "atonal" music, a type of music that has no tonal center, and the only scale one can know is the 12-note chromatic scale, starting on any note. We're so used to tonality, it is virtually impossible to "get" his music. And honestly, I think it's dumb. But it's the end of music's evolution. It can't go any further once all the rules are broken.

Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrjg3jzP2uI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSvA8oP7rw

and a great lecture about him and atonality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwVvbWd-tg

I remember a mate of mine getting into Zappa and talking to me about the 12-note composition thing, and I think I remember him composing one for an assignment.  I dunno, its clever and all but I have a hard time calling it 'music'.  I must say though, the way it forces you to focus on the rhythm of the composition can have it's perks, like when Frank Zappa uses atonal composition to basically make awesome 'accompanied drum solos' like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZ4xRwkRVQ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 02:48:55 PM »
The Grateful Dead.  I admire everything about their passion, longevity, their creative process but I'm just not into their music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2015, 02:58:46 PM »
Oh, big one for me: The Beach Boys. I love their influence and creativity, and a song or two sticks with me, but overall I get bored by them. Which is funny because Animal Collective is almost their modern equivalent and they're my second favourite band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
Oh, big one for me: The Beach Boys. I love their influence and creativity, and a song or two sticks with me, but overall I get bored by them. Which is funny because Animal Collective is almost their modern equivalent and they're my second favourite band.

You hear them quite a bit in Steven Wilson as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »
Rush. I listen to them and they're good, just not a band I would listen to regularly. Maybe it's because Geddy Lee's voice isn't much my cup of tea.

:dunno: I think they flat out suck.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2015, 03:13:01 PM »

:dunno: I think they flat out suck.

I think you flat out got hit in the noggin' at some point. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »
Possibly. But Rush are still poor.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2015, 07:21:39 PM »
You are in the minority good sir