Author Topic: Police raid and kill 59yo David Hooks house on word of meth head  (Read 588 times)

Offline Calvin6s

Police raid and kill 59yo David Hooks house on word of meth head
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/10/06/meet-59-year-old-david-hooks-the-latest-drug-raid-fatality/
A Georgia SWAT team shot and killed an armed homeowner during a September 24 drug raid sparked by the word of a self-confessed meth addict and burglar who had robbed the property the previous day. No drugs were found. David Hooks, 59, becomes the 34th person to die in US domestic drug law enforcement operations so far this year.

I don't know all the facts, so my comments only go to the facts released so far.

This is exactly what I was talking about.  First, let's say David Hooks was actually a drug dealer.  Was he a violent drug dealer?  If not, then even if he was a drug dealer, these types of raids are pure BS.  This is why we can't get caught up in the black-white aspect but instead the police response to non-violent crime.  I don't even know if David Hooks was black or white by the story, and don't really care.

I've been a part of a raid like this and it did seem like a home invasion.  I had countless guns pointed at me and a flash light in my face so I could barely make out silhouettes.  Even when I could see them, it was not clear that it was the police force (actually it wasn't the standard police).

And a criminal making false accusations to get let go or sentence reduced is very common.
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Police raid and kill 59yo David Hooks house on word of meth head
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »
Shame Hooks didn't get a round down before they shot him. At least then one department might actually reconsider their policies (though the likelihood is that they'd just cite it as further evidence that they need to be using greater force than they already are).

The sad truth is that Johnny will claim he was acting in good faith and that the intel was solid. The judge who signed off on the warrant will back them up for obvious reasons. That (legally) justifies them being in the house. So now that they're inside, the now all too familiar "objectively reasonable " from "the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene" will kick in and they're off the hook for shooting him. Johnny will call this a tragic mistake, the law will have no basis for doing anything about it and those cops will go right on acting like the gangbangers they are. Although perhaps the department will come down on it's officers for violating policy and behaving like fucking idiots by not announcing.  ::)

There have actually been a few high profile cases like this of late. You've got Marvin Lewis Guy who shot the first 3 cops storming into his home unannounced (they were serving a warrant at the wrong address) and while he miraculously survived the encounter he's facing the death penalty over it. Then you've got Jose Guerena who was shot 23 times for defending his family under similar circumstances. Don't forget the toddler Johnny blew up after flash-banging it's crib.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/killeen-texas-fatal-raid/
http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/jose-guerena-settlement/
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/19/1322939/-Georgia-County-Won-t-Pay-for-Toddler-Med-Bills-After-SWAT-Drug-Raid

But hey, they're only trying to protect us. If it goes wrong it's just an unavoidable and tragic mistake.  :sadpanda:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 05:11:27 AM »
According to the story, they didn't have a no-knock warrant, but executed a no-knock invasion anyway. 

I would be surprised if heads don't roll over this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
According to the story, they didn't have a no-knock warrant, but executed a no-knock invasion anyway. 

I would be surprised if heads don't roll over this one.

Hopefully.

But what about the discussion on the no-knock invasion policy itself?  I understand that there are some raids that put the officers' lives in real peril.  Perhaps a raid on a known violent gang or even cartel.  But except in extreme cases, the no-knock invasion should be an illegal tactic.  It only creates more unnecessary danger.

And the second part of the equation:  the criminal informant.  I know through acquaintances some people that are real low lives.  Drug addicts that are constantly involved in some time of scam or theft.  And when they get caught, they just claim everybody their drug wasted minds can recall are involved in criminal activity.  They are professional snitches that constantly cause problems for people that have nothing to do with their pathetic lifestyle.  And by know, I mean like in this story.  They stole from some couple, then pointed the police at the victims.  And now one of those victims is dead.
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.