Author Topic: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic  (Read 19164 times)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

Re: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
For someone who doesnt have this bluray and have been skeptical in buying it, this is a treat. I think i may need to buy this for myself now

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2014, 07:15:23 PM »
For someone who doesnt have this bluray and have been skeptical in buying it, this is a treat. I think i may need to buy this for myself now

:metal.  I would recommend it. It sounds fantastic. Better than Luna Park in my opinion.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »
I have this concert on Blu-Ray, but the fact that they're on regular ass tv... I've just got to watch.....
same here, although i still have yet to watch it  :facepalm:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
Watching tv seeing what to watch and see this.  Awesome,  I'm flipping through this and Legend of Korra
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »
So far.... DT12 song, commercial break....DT12 song, commercial break..... DT12 song.

This makes me think that the second half an hour will be devoted to the second set (duh).

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
So far.... DT12 song, commercial break....DT12 song, commercial break..... DT12 song.

This makes me think that the second half an hour will be devoted to the second set (duh).
Lol they broke the pattern and didnt have a break this time

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
Someone is going to tune into along for the ride and wonder what that giant drum set is for.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
Someone is going to tune into along for the ride and wonder what that giant drum set is for.

Hence why they showed Breaking All Illusions after.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2014, 07:31:52 PM »

Hence why they showed Breaking All Illusions after.
If they didn't turn it off by then.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
Why so much dub on the solo? Will we ever know?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »
I'm guessing they'll show The Mirror and Lie, or Lifting Shadows next. 

Ending with Finally Free, or if their cool Space Dye Vest.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »
VH1 and Palladia are showing different things

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
VH1 and Palladia are showing different things

You're right. I've been watching on VH1 Classic. Your post inspired me to see if I even get Palladia... and I do... and they're on a commercial break while VH1 Classic is in the middle of Lifting Shadows.

Edit* Okay, Palladia is now showing the beginning of Lifting Shadows. Wonder if it's just delayed a little bit.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »
Palladia just had on Lie.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »

Interesting. Are they taking full commercial breaks? Maybe they've just got more time for more songs.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »

Interesting. Are they taking full commercial breaks? Maybe they've just got more time for more songs.
I turned to Palladia half way into Lie and then it went to commercial. It seems the channels have different setlists but with some overlap.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
Strange de javu is the last song.

Seems like VH1 had more commercials and no Lie and Palladia had less commercial and Lie.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »
Cool!  Recorded it on Palladia and getting ready to watch it.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »
Strange de javu is the last song.

Seems like VH1 had more commercials and no Lie and Palladia had less commercial and Lie.

I'd rather watch the commercials than Lie. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »

You picked the right channel. Enjoy!

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
Kind of a weird choice for songs. Why choose BAI when OTBOA is both shorter and has had a Grammy nomination?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:14:09 PM by HolidaysAnoraks »

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »
Palladia had different end credits. They are also playing it again at 12. I'm recording it to see if the beginning is different.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:11 PM »
I don't think I have Palladia and I only have VH1 Classic in "standard definition" (bad bad compression because UVerse).
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2014, 10:14:37 PM »

You picked the right channel. Enjoy!

Yeah, it was enjoyable and I'm glad they put BAI in the hour cut.  I think it's very accessible for a 12+ min song.  In fact, the song selections for the entire program were very accessible for people seeing DT perform for the first time.

Kind of a weird choice for songs. Why choose BAI when OTBOA is both shorter and has had a Grammy nomination?

BAI is a better song and because of it's length, they weren't able to select OTBOA also.  It was a wise choice, IMO.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »

Think about your statement.  Someone who doesn't follow DT asks your question...............................

Said no one ever! :lol

No non fan knows what DT song was nominated?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
But it also makes sense to choose the song that was written as the "single" of the album, and the fact it received a Grammy nomination is an indicator that it's going to be more accessible to the average person, and it has a *slighty* greater chance of being known by the casual viewer, since it was released with a music video.

I guess it depends on whether they want to focus more on casual viewers or for the more diehard fans. It's not a lot of time to play with regardless, but it's about what I expected from the track selection.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
I guess it depends on whether they want to focus more on casual viewers or for the more diehard fans. It's not a lot of time to play with regardless, but it's about what I expected from the track selection.

Yeah, but also keep in mind what the purpose of this thing might be. I mean, okay, so OTBOA is more of an accessible, single type song (minus the length), but is it really the kind of a song that would be a good indicator of what DT is about.
If I didn't listen to DT and didn't know their music, I'd probably be a hell of a lot more impressed and drawn in by BAI, with its traditional DT epic structure, musicianship, and soulful guitar solo. If I heard it, it might be the kind of song that would make me go, "Whoa, this band does some really interesting stuff. Let's hear more."
And while OTBOA has a few moments that might intrigue as well, namely the solo section, otherwise, it's not an extremely impressive song.
So who knows, maybe that was their train of thought.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2014, 12:48:42 AM »

Yeah, but also keep in mind what the purpose of this thing might be. I mean, okay, so OTBOA is more of an accessible, single type song (minus the length), but is it really the kind of a song that would be a good indicator of what DT is about.
If I didn't listen to DT and didn't know their music, I'd probably be a hell of a lot more impressed and drawn in by BAI, with its traditional DT epic structure, musicianship, and soulful guitar solo. If I heard it, it might be the kind of song that would make me go, "Whoa, this band does some really interesting stuff. Let's hear more."
And while OTBOA has a few moments that might intrigue as well, namely the solo section, otherwise, it's not an extremely impressive song.
So who knows, maybe that was their train of thought.

TBH I don't think either of them are great examples of DT's music (or most of what they showed for that matter), but DT's music is the kind of music you probably need to ween the average person onto. Us hardcore fans are drawn to "epic" songs, and weedle weedle, but the average person not so much (until they're fans that is). If I was the average person flicking through channels, and I heard 5 minutes of instrumental noodling, I'd probably just keep going.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »
Well, I dunno. Personally, it's the instrumental noodling that got me into DT in the first place. I mean, there are a ton of rock bands out there, and most of the time, if I have no reason to pay attention, I don't bother. But with DT, it's their impressive musicianship and complex time changes that got me to notice. It just beckons attention. Good or bad, some people might hear it and say, "What the hell is this??" Others will say, "Whoa! This is amazing, who the hell are these guys!?" Either way, people take notice.
The thing with BAI is, it might not have the most complex instrumental section of any DT song, but it's still relatively intricate, and at the same time, it does have some beautiful melodies that might be missing from something more complex yet dissonant.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »
I didn't get to watch it, but I'm glad it seemed to go well, and the selections chosen were good picks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
Is Palladia showing it again tonight?

Otherwise I won't get to see it until 12:30 A.M. Monday morning.

I wish someone had posted a list of which songs were broadcast.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
I caught it at 1:00 today. They played The Enemy Inside, The Looking Glass, Along For The Ride, Breaking All Illusions, Lie, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Overture 1928, and Strange Deja Vu.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »
Thats really awesome how Palladia sneaked another song in there.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »

I wish someone had posted a list of which songs were broadcast.

DoC posted it as shown on VH1 Classic.  Add Lie if you're watching it on Palladia.

This starts in a few minutes. I'll be editing this post with the setlist as it's unveiled.

Edit* This is the setlist as shown on VH1 Classic.

1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Looking Glass
3. Along For the Ride
4. Breaking All Illusions
5. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
6. Overture 1928
7. Strange deja vu

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
Thank you.

It looks like a nice variety, considering the short amount of time they had to work with.

A lot of people were probably at least disappointed that they didn't include "Illumination Theory," but I would only want it in there if it was given at LEAST a 90-minute time-slot.

I AM a little disappointed that "The Shattered Fortress" couldn't fit the format.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:07:45 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...