Author Topic: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic  (Read 19155 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 06:31:05 AM »
Yeah, but I don't think you would want to just play the new songs.

I don't know.  It would be preferable not to be limited to 1 hour broadcast time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
Wow, surprised Score didn't get any orchestra songs played, seems like a wasted opportunity.

It's really hard to say what songs they'll choose for this one. I mean, to me they pretty much have to feature Illumination Theory and orchestra material, yet it'd be strange to not open the show with FAS/TEI and feature the new 'DT' material, yet under an hour just isn't enough time to account for it all. Well I suppose we shall see, because one of these factors will have to not matter as much to whoever's responsible for the final cut.

Now wait a minute man...
FTFY
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
I looked it up on VH-1's website yesterday.
It IS only an hour time-slot, and I think it's awful that they're doing that.
Most other bands seem to get more air-time.
It's almost like they're throwing DT fans a bone, like we're some kind of inferior minority that is into an inferior band.
I mean that's what they seem to think.

The only GOOD thing about it is that people who aren't familiar with the band will get an opportunity to get a taste of their music, and why we feel the way that we do about it.
Maybe they'll do better next time.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »
It's almost like they're throwing DT fans a bone, like we're some kind of inferior minority that is into an inferior band.
I mean that's what they seem to think.
Nah, c'mon man.

The only GOOD thing about it is that people who aren't familiar with the band will get an opportunity to get a taste of their music, and why we feel the way that we do about it.
Exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online PetFish

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
Maybe they'll do better next time.

I have no idea why you're complaining.  JFC, man, seriously.  An actual Dream Theater fan is most likely going to already have the entire show either in a physical form or will have watched on Youtube.

If you make a mix tape of DT for a friend do you think you'd just give them copies of every DT album or would you give them a concise selection of music that represents what DT's music is all about?

At least they'll get some exposure and hopefully they'll play a good mix from the full show and maybe gain some new fans.  That's what things like this are all about.  Instead of being pissed off about it not being everything YOU want it to be try being thankful that they're even on mainstream media at all.  Post the link on your Facebook for people you know to check out.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »
Well, first of all, I don't have the DVD/CD yet, so I was hoping to see the entire thing.

So I guess you could say I have selfish reasons for feeling the way that I feel.
But hey, at least I'm HONEST about it!

As for the mood that it puts me in: I wouldn't actually say that I'm "pissed off" about it.
More like disappointed.
I thought VH1 Classic was better than that.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
I doubt anyone expected them to show the entire concert. As a DT fan, of course I want them to show it all and spread the word of this band, but realistically, its just awesome that they are getting TV time and the concert is amazing so if you don't have the DVD then check it out and purchase it if you enjoy what you see and hear.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »
I doubt anyone expected them to show the entire concert. As a DT fan, of course I want them to show it all and spread the word of this band, but realistically, its just awesome that they are getting TV time and the concert is amazing so if you don't have the DVD then check it out and purchase it if you enjoy what you see and hear.

If you consider commercials, the whole concert would last 4 hours... Yeah, that's not happening, lol.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2014, 06:55:55 PM »
Rush's Clockwork Angels dvd only gets about half of the show when it airs on VH1/palladia, they completely skip the first set.  As such, i would expect DT to get even less than that, it just makes sense.  Im just happy to see them get the exposure, whatever it is.  i saw the music video for OTBOA the other day on one of those stations and was stoked, was just surprised to see it at all.

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
Still, this would've meant so much more even 4 years ago. These days, TV is less and less of an influential medium, sadly.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »
You all make some good points.
But they could have given it at least a two-hour time-slot, during which they could show at least about HALF of the show.

The RUSH program I was referring to is a documentary.
I think it's called "R30" or something like that, and I think I remember them giving it a three-hour time-slot, during which the entire thing was broadcast.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2014, 05:22:36 AM »
They never play the whole concerts anymore.  I'd say about 20 to 25 years ago they stopped that.  I remember MTV used to show world premiers of concerts simulcasted on radio stations.  Those were the days.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »
But they could have given it at least a two-hour time-slot, during which they could show at least about HALF of the show.

I think it's called "R30" or something like that, and I think I remember them giving it a three-hour time-slot, during which the entire thing was broadcast.
In my region, they have a 2-hour slot for a 2012 GnR concert.  I like GnR but would much rather have seen them give 2 hours to DT.

These are just our preferences though.  If you think about it, Rush is huge and it makes sense to devote that much time to them.  As much as I hate to admit it, GnR is probably more well known than DT so that makes sense too.

In the end, I'm just happy they made it there at all.

P.S. - Chaos, dude, what are you waiting for?  Go get BTFW! :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »
Yeah, really.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »

R30 was a live DVD released in 2005.  The documentary released in 2010 was called Beyond the Lighted Stage.  It fell into the full length movie category and therefore VH1 Classic was able show it in its entirety.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
Yeah, really.

I've been out of work for a while,
so I'll probably have to wait until Christmas time.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
VH1 airing Score is indirectly the reason I got in to DT. My buddy caught a few cuts from the show on VH1 Classsic and fell in love. He then exposed me to DT and the rest was history.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »

I've been out of work for a while,
so I'll probably have to wait until Christmas time.
Sorry to hear that, man. Hope things work out for you.

VH1 airing Score is indirectly the reason I got in to DT. My buddy caught a few cuts from the show on VH1 Classsic and fell in love. He then exposed me to DT and the rest was history.
Awesome! Hopefully the BTFW picks up a few converts, which of course is the whole point.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
With the limited theatrical premiere of Luna Park, and the VH1 Classic broadcast of Breaking the Fourth Wall, I am quite pleased with how DT has expanded itself and its product into additional markets and media.  Certainly shows how their following has progressed since the 90s. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
thanks for the heads up.  DVR set.  Probably would have missed it without this thread.

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
It would've been cool though if they spliced in some new interview footage. Like, brought out JP or someone for an interview, and just have little clips of the interview after commercials and before the next song comes on. That way it would be more incentive for people who already own the Blu-Ray/DVD to watch it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »
It would've been cool though if they spliced in some new interview footage. Like, brought out JP or someone for an interview, and just have little clips of the interview after commercials and before the next song comes on. That way it would be more incentive for people who already own the Blu-Ray/DVD to watch it.

Yea that would be cool, but would require work from the band and they didn't even put anything bonus like that on the actual DVD.

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »
Yeah, but this would be something the network would organize, I would imagine. DT not including it on the DVD wasn't necessarily because they didn't want to, more like between their hectic schedule and the label decision, they may have just deemed it unnecessary.
Considering that this is being aired on TV and they're not currently touring, an interview would take up a completely different purpose, in this case, for the network, to encourage those who own the DVD to watch it, and for the band to serve as a bit of an informative bit for the newcomers.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
^^ Yeah, that's a good idea.  Something along the lines of what JLB had said, before the On the Backs of Angels and The Enemy Inside performances, during the Sonisphere highlights would be dandy.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
The Enemy Inside
On the Backs of Angels
--commercial--
The Looking Glass
Along For the Ride
--commercial--
Overture 1928
Strange Deja Vu
Finally Free
--commercial-

That's my guess for the set. It's about 41 or so min, shows a lot of new material, features 3 songs of their most popular album, and highlights the string section. It is just too long and i doubt they'd cut it to fit it in. Awake set may get featured, but I doubt see it happening imo. TSF, ToT and BAI are on the longer side. Enigma Machine has a slight chance as well I'd say since it's the newest instrumental, or maybe TDoE since it's the most technical and would show off their playing abilities the best.

« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
Given that OTBOA was their big single last album, and the Grammy nominee, its inclusion is actually a likely scenario.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »

I remember when a 1-hour cut of SCORE was shown on VH1 Classic back in 2006.
Me too! That was exciting to watch! Its funny how geeky you get as a fan when one of your favs is on TV! Especially when they are not a mainstream act.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:40 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »
It's about freakin time!!!  :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
It was released only 10 weeks ago.  That's actually pretty quick.   :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
I guess we find out tonight!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
This starts in a few minutes. I'll be editing this post with the setlist as it's unveiled.

Edit* This is the setlist as shown on VH1 Classic.

1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Looking Glass
3. Along For the Ride
4. Breaking All Illusions
5. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
6. Overture 1928
7. Strange deja vu
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:51:14 PM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
Mix sounds better to me than the spotify version does. TEI sounded great

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2014, 07:11:24 PM »
This starts in a few minutes. I'll be editing this post with the setlist as it's unveiled.

1. The Enemy Inside

Thanks to DoC for the facts! :tup

No surprise yet with TEI.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »
I have this concert on Blu-Ray, but the fact that they're on regular ass tv... I've just got to watch.....