Author Topic: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic  (Read 19162 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic
« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »
I guess what I was trying to say, and some of the others were probably thinking this as well:

They could have had a VJ introducing the show, like MTV used to do, when MTV WAS MTV!
There are no VJs.

Why do you think I said "When mtv WAS mtv???"

Then why are you saying they could have a VJ introduce the show?

Well, EXCUSE me all to HELL!

I guess what I SHOULD have said was: "Maybe they could have had someone like-but not necessarily-Eddie Trunk introducing bthe show like a vj, whic they used to do on MTV, before MTV turned into a steaming pile of CRAP!"

Oh and Hef: MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2014, 02:44:20 AM »
Yeah, Merry Christmas, buddy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:45 AM »
I honestly thought it was great. I haven't watched anything on DT in a long time and it was refreshing to watch them play.

Good stuff, man, I hadn't even thought of current fans coming across this and re-discovering them (sort of).

It's pretty funny actually. Sometimes when people see me with a DT shirt they will be like, "Are those guys still around?"  I'll see them again a few weeks later, "I checked out their newest CD. Good stuff man. Thanks for wearing the shirt." 

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »
I'm sure that there still people who think they just sort-of "faded away" after PULL ME UNDER.

But it's those people's MEMORIES that have faded, not the band.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
Those people are the casual music fans. Not the nut jobs we all are.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
That's another way of putting it!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
I was the kind of fan that have to get albums on the release day.

I was one of those kids with my boom box with cassette on pause waiting for the new Rush single to play on the radio.

I was the guy that drove 3 hours to see DT in a rolling rink in an amusement park.

That's us in a "nutshell". :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »
I used to record a lot of my favorite music off of the radio, too.

When I was younger I would always buy my favorite band's albums on the day of their debut, as well.

And I would buy concert tickets weeks, or even MONTHS in advance.

But now I have to be a little more realistic.
If I have to but USED copies of CDs, I do it.
Or I order things from Amazon, to save money.
And as frustrating as it is, I can't go to NEARLY as many concerts as I used to...

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »

I was one of those kids with my boom box with cassette on pause waiting for the new Rush single to play on the radio.

I was the guy that drove 3 hours to see DT in a rolling rink in an amusement park.

I still have some of the tapes I recorded off the radio :lol

. . . by the way, when did DT play that gig?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »
From what I understand, during their "formative" years, up until around 1999-2000 or so, they had to play a LOT of really crappy gigs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »

May 15, 1993 The Rocky Point Palladium
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »

Get ready to be jealous.  My first DT show.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/1993/rocky-point-palladium-warwick-ri-73d6ce25.html

Dammit Tim!  Ninja'd! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »
I actually skipped that show..long story. But I had seen them 4 times already, and would've been 5 had it not been for a blizzard in February.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 26, 2014, 05:07:08 PM »
On of the big memories for me was seeing all the metalheads walking the park with and the horror on the parents faces with the young kids there for the rides and the smell of piss and puke in the bathroom.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »
On of the big memories for me was seeing all the metalheads walking the park with and the horror on the parents faces with the young kids there for the rides and the smell of piss and puke in the bathroom.

Dude,it was Rocky Point!  there was always piss and puke in the bathrooms! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »
My first time there! :lol  Some dude (Rumbo, I think of you every time I say that now) tried to body surf for a half and hour in front of me.  He finally got up and was turned upside down so I punched him in the nuts to keep him down so I could see the damn band. :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »
My first DT show was ALSO the first time they played SFaM all the way through, from beginning to end.

Never had any major puke, piss and "nut-punching" experiences, though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
My first DT show was ALSO the first time they played SFaM all the way through, from beginning to end.

Never had any major puke, piss and "nut-punching" experiences, though.
You're not in the club until Kingshmegland punches you in the nads.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »
 :lol

Well chaossystem those were the early days where they'd play anywhere.  I saw them on the SFAM tour in Boston at a place called The Roxy.  Good sounding acoustics for that show but the venues had terrible sight lines to see the band.

Remember that comment Tim the next time we meet up. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »
 :lol

What I remember about the Roxy show was how much energy was in the air. It was BY FAR the largest crowd in Boston up until that point. The place was packed. We were in the back against the balcony railing. Awesome view and show.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
I remember how long the line was to get in and the floor was raised like a "dance stage" so if you were in the back you had no shot to see the band.  I was on the balcony also on Myung's side.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
That reminds me of when I saw them on the ToT tour, same venue as "Metropolis 2000," but from where I was seated, I couldn't watch Petrucci at all.

Very annoying!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
There IS a full-length version of the the show on YouTube.

It was recorded in Russia, I think on 2/26/14.

It's a little RAW compared to the DVD/Blue-Ray version, but I kind of like it like that. Makes seem more real.

Calvin6s

« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2015, 08:22:43 PM »
they had to play a LOT of really crappy gigs.
Crappy for them.  Great for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »
Yup. Don't remember them being crappy at all. They were mindblowing, in fact.

Offline DTFANATIC

• Take the Time
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
I honestly thought it was great. I haven't watched anything on DT in a long time and it was refreshing to watch them play.

Good stuff, man, I hadn't even thought of current fans coming across this and re-discovering them (sort of).

Yeah I've been away for some time, and I'm ready to compulsively and religiously listen to their music again. When I watched them play on Palladia I just sat on my couch and I was shaking a bit out of excitement. It was awesome watching them play.
''I feel this impending need, to go back to the greatest thing that I've ever experienced''

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2015, 10:27:15 PM »

The greatest thing about the earlier gigs they played, like back when I first saw them in 1995, was that they would always come out the back of club and hang with the fans, sign autographs, take photos, and whatnot.  Even JM had a few words to say.   ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2015, 07:06:19 PM »

The greatest thing about the earlier gigs they played, like back when I first saw them in 1995, was that they would always come out the back of club and hang with the fans, sign autographs, take photos, and whatnot.  Even JM had a few words to say.   ;D

"....bass"
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2015, 04:54:39 AM »
Yup. Don't remember them being crappy at all. They were , in fact.

Plagerist. :lol