Author Topic: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic  (Read 19163 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
Very nice set! It's a good mix and has one "epic" (by non-DTfan standards). I actually like the VH1 version more as Lie felt out of place because it does not have a proper intro.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:21:23 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »
:lolpalm:  Lie is one of the best songs in the set.  VH1 Classic got it wrong.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong. Lie was good in BtFW. It just felt out of place in a short broadcast because it sounds very much like you just watched something that started in the middle of a song. If they will not do the Mirror/Lie combo, better not to play any of those songs.

In tribute to the broadcast, I have created this VH1 set playlist in my phone. Very good commuting music. :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:18 AM »
I got it almost right.

But, I agree. Lie without The Mirror, since it was a live release, does feel out of nowhere in the intro.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »
...just discovered that I get Palladia too :facepalm:

I would have enjoyed seeing Lie, whether it was in context or not.  The VH1 version just felt like waaay too many commercials.

One thing that seemed odd to me was that there was no "introduction" so to speak.  They just started into the first song.  This was made more prevalent when Eddie Trunk introduced the broadcast of GnR that followed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:55:39 AM by Another_Won »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
Then I guess including FAS would have been helpful to people just tuning in at the start.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »
I finally caught the show late last night on VH1 Classic.

I guess it was kind of commercial.

But the band sounded great, and the lighting rig was one of their best ever.

I actually liked this version of "lifting Shadows," a song I never really cared for all that much, better than I thought I would.

There were some disappointments, and the edits were PAINFULLY obvious,

As for there not being any kind of intro, I guess DT just isn't "big" enough to warrant that kind of consideration.

But the ending was FAR too abrupt.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
As for there not being any kind of intro, I guess DT just isn't "big" enough to warrant that kind of consideration.

Yeah, but you'd think that if DT weren't "big" enough, they'd want to have some kind of an intro to let people know who this is performing.

Seems like they were just being lazy.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »
An intro?

What do you mean by an intro?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »
An intro?

YOU WANTED THE BEST YOU GOT THE BEST! THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
Jesus.  The Video open was the bomb. No need for some roadie to introduce the damn band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
   The Video open was the bomb. 
Oh yeah!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
While I agree that "The Enemy Inside" was an excellent, kick-ass show opener, I think what some of the others were saying was that they wanted someone like Eddie Trunk to come on and talk a little bit about the band and the show before going into the video.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2014, 07:03:56 PM »
Who cares about Eddie Trunk.  I didnt watch, but I would have hoped for some sort of intro at least in text saying who the band was and what the show was so the viewers know.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
An intro?

In a perfect world, it's true, DT would need no introduction. But then in a perfect world, they'd have a whole channel dedicated to playing their concerts 24/7.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »

Yeah, but you'd think that if DT weren't "big" enough, they'd want to have some kind of an intro to let people know who this is performing.

Seems like they were just being lazy.
Nothing to indicate laziness. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »
An intro?

In a perfect world, it's true, DT would need no introduction. But then in a perfect world, they'd have a whole channel dedicated to playing their concerts 24/7.

In the 70's they had someone introduce (You Wanted The Best -- KISS & Would You Please Welcome Home....Rush!) because they didn't have the technology of today to have an ass kicking intro like Blob made.  There is no need to have this introductions anymore.

Now if you're saying Paladia should have someone on to introduce before the shortened show, that's just plain silly.  There are no more VJ's to do so.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
I've seen a lot of live music presentations like this on Palladia/VH1 Classic.  An intro is an exception, not the rule.  And I'm sure the band themselves had little if any to do with this anyway, it was probably a label thing, or just a Palladia/VH1 Classic things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
An intro?

In the 70's they had someone introduce (You Wanted The Best -- KISS & Would You Please Welcome Home....Rush!) because they didn't have the technology of today to have an ass kicking intro like Blob made.  There is no need to have this introductions anymore.

Now if you're saying Paladia should have someone on to introduce before the shortened show, that's just plain silly.  There are no more VJ's to do so.

I think it should be noted that Blob's intro was not played. There was a graphic for the show that was up for a few seconds as The Enemy Inside was playing, and that's it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
I know I watched it.  They had the album cover then if faded to the concert.  It's a 2 hour 45 minute concert cut into one hour for promotional purposes.  Us nerds are not going to get everything perfect in that one hour show.

It's like a novel.  You'll never get everything from the book onto the screen.  Hell!  Look at the LOTR trilogy.  Those movies with the extended versions averages 4 hours and they didn't get everything in!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
  Hell!  Look at the LOTR trilogy.  Those movies with the extended versions averages 4 hours and they didn't get everything in!
Speaking of nerds. ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
 :lol

This nerd can still brawl sucka! :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2014, 07:30:39 PM »
I guess what I was trying to say, and some of the others were probably thinking this as well:

They could have had a VJ introducing the show, like MTV used to do, when MTV WAS MTV!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
I remember when MTV simulcast concerts with local radio stations but that stopped in the 90's.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »
Why can't you guys just be happy that they showed anything at all?

We should be proud of the fact that they got some exposure to people who might never have even heard of them and got a decent selection of music that represents Dream Theater and not be complaining about what they didn't show or what wasn't there.

We might be getting some new fans to chat with here and support the band so let's look forward to that and be positive.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2014, 10:25:52 PM »
I hope you're right.

Personally, I don't really care all that much that they DIDN'T have an intro.                                                     

But, since they did not put any kind of promotion behind it, that makes it that much harder for anyone who wasn't looking for the show like WE were to be aware of it, and therefore is unlikely to attract any new fans to the band, or new friends to the forum.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
I hope you're right.

Personally, I don't really care all that much that they DIDN'T have an intro.                                                     

But, since they did not put any kind of promotion behind it, that makes it that much harder for anyone who wasn't looking for the show like WE were to be aware of it, and therefore is unlikely to attract any new fans to the band, or new friends to the forum.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »
I guess what I was trying to say, and some of the others were probably thinking this as well:

They could have had a VJ introducing the show, like MTV used to do, when MTV WAS MTV!
There are no VJs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
VJ's have a whole new meaning in the 2000's. :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »

There are no VJs.

Why do you think I said "When mtv WAS mtv???"

Offline DTFANATIC

• Take the Time
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
I honestly thought it was great. I haven't watched anything on DT in a long time and it was refreshing to watch them play.
''I feel this impending need, to go back to the greatest thing that I've ever experienced''

Offline PetFish

« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2014, 03:44:43 AM »
I honestly thought it was great. I haven't watched anything on DT in a long time and it was refreshing to watch them play.

Good stuff, man, I hadn't even thought of current fans coming across this and re-discovering them (sort of).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2014, 04:34:29 AM »

There are no VJs.

Why do you think I said "When mtv WAS mtv???"
Then why are you saying they could have a VJ introduce the show?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »
Oh yeah! :justjen VJ's are extinct just like MTV and dinosaurs.  :lol :rollin :lol

- AAgent66
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White