Author Topic: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic  (Read 19165 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
I don't know if this was posted before but I saw it just minute ago on DT's Facebook site:

PALLADIA & VH1 CLASSIC TO AIR DREAM THEATER’S BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
EXTRAORDINARY LIVE SHOW, CAPTURED IN HD, FEATURING SPECIAL GUEST PERFORMANCES FROM THE BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC ORCHESTRA AND CHOIR SET TO PREMEIRE ON PALLADIA & VH1 CLASSIC, FRIDAY DECEMBER 19TH
BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL (LIVE FROM THE BOSTON OPERA HOUSE) AVAILABLE NOW IN MULTIPLE CONFIGURATIONS INCLUDING BLU-RAY, 2 DVD SET &
WEBSTORE DELUXE BLU-RAY / 3-CD SET WITH POSTER
BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL (LIVE FROM THE BOSTON OPERA HOUSE), the momentous new live Blu-Ray / DVD from Roadrunner Records’ group Dream Theater is set to premiere on Palladia and VH1 Classic on Friday, December 19TH at 9:00PM local time. Additional info and local listings can be found HERE. BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL made a spectacular debut atop SoundScan’s “Top DVD Music Video” and “Top Music Video” charts earlier this year and follows the GRAMMY-nominated group's 2013 self-titled LP which debuted atop Billboard’s Hard Rock Albums chart and at #7 on the overall Billboard 200.
BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL (LIVE FROM THE BOSTON OPERA HOUSE), the live Blu-Ray / DVD set captures Dream Theater’s unprecedented performance from the Boston Opera House on March 25, 2014. Produced by the band’s own John Petrucci, filmed and directed by Pierre and François Lamoureux, and mixed and mastered by Richard Chycki, BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL (LIVE FROM THE BOSTON OPERA HOUSE) is over 2 hours in length, showcasing the special evening, which featured guest performances from The Berklee College of Music Orchestra and Choir. The collection, which comes in multiple configurations including Blu-Ray, a 2-DVD set, and a webstore deluxe exclusive Blu-Ray/3-CD set with poster, are all available now via the Roadrunner Records webstore.
Dream Theater donated a portion of the proceeds from the release to the Dream Theater Scholarship Fund at Berklee, which impacts the many incoming students from around the world who cite Dream Theater as a prime influence for applying. "The relationship between Berklee and Dream Theater is tremendously important," says Mark Campbell, vice president of enrollment at Berklee. "Their extraordinarily creative sound and virtuosity makes them powerful representatives of and advocates for a Berklee education."

I think this is actually big thing and DT and I'm happy for this news. I have to find local airing time for my country (I have DVD already but it's always cool to watch DT on actual television :P )
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Breaking the Fourth Wall on Palladia and VH1 Classic
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »
Hey, that's great to hear!

I remember when a 1-hour cut of SCORE was shown on VH1 Classic back in 2006.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
I wonder how much of the concert will be shown?  I got to think IT and the encore definitely as thats the highlight, but then what else.  I can't imagine they are airing the entire show which would be cool, but would be over 3 hours of airtime when you include commercials breaks.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »
Yeah, I remember the hour cut of Score on VH1 Classic.  This is great news.  Thanks for sharing.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
That's awesome! DT definitely needs deserves more TV attention!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
Vh1 Classic has been showing a lot of concerts and documentaries, and very often giving them time slots as long as 2 &1/2-3 hrs. A couple of recent examples would be the Rush documentary, and Black Sabbath's "Gathered in Their Masses," both of which I'm pretty sure were shown in their entirety. So hopefully Bt4thW will be as well. They also keep things like that in (sometimes heavy) rotation. So let's keep out fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:27:23 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Grizz

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:20:14 PM »
Cool, I'm gonna be a few pixels on VH1!
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:59:39 AM »
Well, my guide shows it only running 1 hour :tdwn  It will be interesting to see which songs make the cut.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »

Yeah, I remember the hour cut of Score on VH1 Classic.  This is great news.  Thanks for sharing.  :tup

Do either of you remember which song were played for Score?  It might give us some insight into which ones they might pick this time.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »

Do either of you remember which song were played for Score?  It might give us some insight into which ones they might pick this time.

Really? How is that?  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 06:31:03 AM »
If its only an hour, my guess is it is just IT and the encore.  That alone is over 40 minutes of music and add in the commercials, you got an hour of TV.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 06:35:16 AM »
I'll guess that it will heavily feature the material from the last two albums, definitely TEI, and OTBOA. Beyond that, no idea.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:28 AM »
I can almost guarantee that IT won't be featured.  That's too long without a commercial break.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 07:08:15 AM »
If this cut is only one hour, IT would be 1/3 of the entire show anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »
Well, my guide shows it only running 1 hour :tdwn  It will be interesting to see which songs make the cut.

They always cut the length of the concerts.  Why are you shocked?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »
My bet is they'll show an edited version of the first set, since most of it is new stuff.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »

Really? How is that?  :biggrin:

. . . might give us . . . might not . . . probably not.  Couldn't hurt to talk about it though, right?  That is what we're all here to do . . . talk about DT in great detail :biggrin:

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »

They always cut the length of the concerts.  Why are you shocked?
Shocked?  Not at all.  I don't even think I gave the impression I was shocked.  I was actually fairly certain that they wouldn't play the whole thing. Still makes it a  :tdwn
 :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 07:44:28 AM »
I think I'm just resigned to the fact that they cut them all.

*Sad Panda face*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 07:52:28 AM »
1 hour, minus commercials... So basically 45 minutes.. That's like, 3 songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
I would imagine it will have the first song or two, and then one or two from the SFAM section with the orchestra and choir.  Or something like that.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
I would imagine it will have the first song or two, and then one or two from the SFAM section with the orchestra and choir.  Or something like that.

If they insist on including the orchestra section, then I'd sooner bet they'd show Illumination Theory rather than the SFAM stuff. I mean, I'm assuming the band and RR have some say in this, and I would imagine they'd want to promote their new album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 08:28:16 AM »
They should play Overture 1928 & Strange Deja Vu showing the orchestra but thy play Finally Free I'd bet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »

If they insist on including the orchestra section, then I'd sooner bet they'd show Illumination Theory rather than the SFAM stuff. I mean, I'm assuming the band and RR have some say in this, and I would imagine they'd want to promote their new album.
I'd imagine they don't have enough say in it to take up that much time without commercials.  But we'll see.

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:12 AM »
I'd imagine they don't have enough say in it to take up that much time without commercials.  But we'll see.

Yeah, but I can still see VH1 wanting to show that song as well. It does have the string section in the middle, and the cool visuals during that section, and it is the new song, so even from the perspective of VH1, I can see them favoring it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »
Considering the promotion explicitly is advertising it with the orchestra, I cant imagine it not being included and is the main reason why I think it will only be IT and the encore, but obviously showing songs from the first set, specifically the DT12 songs, make sense as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »
I don't know.  We'll see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »
I could also see a commercial break in IT, right before the orchestra kicks in seems like a good spot, but who knows really.  I have the blu ray so I wont be watching, but Im so damn curious as to what makes the 1 hour cut (or 43 minute cut I should say).

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
I live in Canada, and don't have VH1 (or any kind of cable TV for that matter) so I won't be watching it either. But I'm curious as well.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
Obviously they will try to fit in as many songs as possible.  The shorter the songs, the more they can fit in.

Too long ago to remember all the songs but I'm sure the selection will be quite different this time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:13:47 AM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:26 AM »
I believe that the abridged version of Score featured, TRoAE, UaGM, IF and TSCO.... can't remember if they showed IWBY, but they may have.  Main thing, is nothing was shown from the "second set".

One thing to consider is that the condensed set was shown before the DVD was actually released, so part of that may have been to not tip the hand for anyone who didn't now about the orchestra. But I think that the songs chosen were more about accessibility.

So if it's an hour again, I'm thinking FAS/TEI, OtBoA The Looking Glass & Breaking All Illusions.  But we shall see.

Edit.... just re-read the OP... and if they're advertising the orchestra.... might get IT after all!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:44:39 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
I think it's possible that the information we have at this time could be wrong, and that the time-slot WILL be more than an hour.
Who knows?
Maybe they will show half or more of the concert.
Maybe even all of it.

Like I said before, other shows like this have been given longer time-slots.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
I think it's possible that the information we have at this time could be wrong, and that the time-slot WILL be more than an hour.
Who knows?
Maybe they will show half or more of the concert.
Maybe even all of it.

Like I said before, other shows like this have been given longer time-slots.

It airs in one week, I think if the TV guide is showing it as a 1 hour show, its very likely to be correct.

Obviously they will try to fit in as many songs as possible.  The shorter the songs, the more they can fit in.

This doesnt seem obvious to me, but yea maybe for accessibility.  Id be interested to know who decides on the songs.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:55 PM »
I believe that the abridged version of Score featured, TRoAE, UaGM, IF and TSCO.... can't remember if they showed IWBY, but they may have.  Main thing, is nothing was shown from the "second set".

Wow, surprised Score didn't get any orchestra songs played, seems like a wasted opportunity.

It's really hard to say what songs they'll choose for this one. I mean, to me they pretty much have to feature Illumination Theory and orchestra material, yet it'd be strange to not open the show with FAS/TEI and feature the new 'DT' material, yet under an hour just isn't enough time to account for it all. Well I suppose we shall see, because one of these factors will have to not matter as much to whoever's responsible for the final cut.

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 10:47:29 PM »
Wow, surprised Score didn't get any orchestra songs played, seems like a wasted opportunity.

It's really hard to say what songs they'll choose for this one. I mean, to me they pretty much have to feature Illumination Theory and orchestra material, yet it'd be strange to not open the show with FAS/TEI and feature the new 'DT' material, yet under an hour just isn't enough time to account for it all. Well I suppose we shall see, because one of these factors will have to not matter as much to whoever's responsible for the final cut.

Well, hold on now...

If you include FAS, The Enemy Inside, The Looking Glass, Enigma Machine, Along for the Ride, and Illumination Theory, then it adds up to about 46 - 48 minutes, which is pretty much the perfect length for an hour long broadcast if you include commercials. Maybe they'll just play the new songs.