Author Topic: Jury Experiences  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Calvin6s

Re: Jury Experiences
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:22:30 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »
A quick glance around the room, "yeah, that was a quake", and then within five minutes we were all back to doing whatever it was, like nothing had happened. Classic SF natives  :lol

Ever since I was in the 1994 Northridge quake, I have a different response.  Every quake before that seemed more like a spectator sport.  Watching the windows shake, hearing the car alarms go off, but nothing to get excited over.  It just kind of happens.  You almost observe in amazement, but not fear.  Since 1994, every quake over 3.0 sends my heart rate up because I'm not sure if it is almost over or just about to ramp up.  It is amazing how much a difference a few miles from the epicenter makes.

Seems like you had an excuse to get out of an actual jury that day (had it come to that).  You needed to postpone to *process* the day's events.

I was in the 89 Loma Prieta quake, and having been a Bay Area lifer, have seen more than my share, so I see exactly what you're saying. The quake on that day was a 2.something, a mere burp. There's a certain point in a quake, around four to five seconds in, where the casual interest slowly turns to panic. We had a 6.0 a few months back in Napa, at about 2am, and at about the ten second mark, I was halfway out of bed heading for safety away from the windows when it started to subside. A few more seconds and I would have gone full "oh shit" mode  :lol
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
a
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:22:43 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Online lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »
My worst surprisingly wasn't Loma Prieta, it happened a few years after. The initial quake was a mere 5.4, but the epicenter was a quarter mile from my house. The bad part was the hundreds of aftershocks in the next day or so. Felt every one of them, got to a point where we would here a soft "boom" and in a second or so it would quake, After a few hours of this, my brother and I were shell shocked to a point where we just sat on our front lawn with a 6 pack, and as each boom happened, we would look at each other, giggle nervously, and wait for the shake. So damn unnerving.

And back to topic   :lol

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
Every time I'm in Cali I hope for an Earthquake. Nothing major and nothing harmful, but just something for the experience. Never happens. Oddly, we've been getting quite a few down here in Dallas. Some regularity since 2008. I think the biggest thus far was 3.3, but that's still pretty unusual for Dallas. I'm sure blasting the Earth's crust with high pressure chemicals has nothing to do with it, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 01:32:37 PM »
On the topic of earthquakes... I experienced that one that hit the NYC area a few years ago.  No one here is exactly expecting earthquakes and I had never experienced one.  I was standing at the moment and just immediately felt dizzy and then normal and everyone in the office got quiet and looked around.  My manager was on a conference call and the people on the call were questioning what they just felt so we all knew that was proabbly an earthquake and as soon as that realization hit, the earth shook again and I bolted so fast out of the building.  I think I was the first out and I was one of the furthest from the exit.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
A friend of mine was over in Japan when they had that really bad one a few years back. He was feeling aftershocks like every twenty minutes for several hours after the fact.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
Over at MP's all GD threads turn quickly to politics. Over here political topics turn to idle chatter about Earthquakes.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
On the topic of earthquakes... I experienced that one that hit the NYC area a few years ago. 

I was in Philly (I lived on the 24th floor of an apartment building) in... want to say 2010, and the building began to shake every so slightly (but noticeably). Sure enough...

Online lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »
Over at MP's all GD threads turn quickly to politics. Over here political topics turn to idle chatter about Earthquakes.  :lol

My bad :p

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »
I "served" on a Grand Jury for 4 months earlier this year. It was a very enlightening experience. I learned a lot about the process and even more about what is going on in my own backyard ( :omg: :'( ). I discovered that the average Joe is NOT qualified to serve as a juror and lacks the mental capacity to understand what was going on or be objective in deciding on a matter most of the time and pray you never have to be charged with anything because you are likely not going to get a fair shake.

Have you ever heard the saying that a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich? It's true. I don't know how similar all grand jury rules are, but we only needed a simple majority for an indictment to proceed. and getting more than half of the people to vote no was incredibly rare.  There seemed to be several different "Types" of jurors and the most annoying were those people that believe every word from a prosecutors mouth and vote affirmative on every damn bill regardless of the testimony.  It did make it difficult when half the time we were never presented any hard evidence, it was usually just the testimony of an officer or witness and nothing else to go on, but even when we did get hard evidence or testimony that would put doubt on the situation they would never think objectively or scrutinize what was presented.

There are the headhunter types. The guys that find a particular offense so egregious they are out for blood so they thumb through the giant statutes book looking for anything else they can stick to the alleged perpetrator.

Then there are the clueless. These are the worst. There are certain types of questions you can't ask a witness like what is the alleged suspects race or nationality. Do they have a history of other crimes etc. since they aren't relevant to the case at hand. Yet some dolt will inevitably ask the prosecutor or witness these questions every damn time and get shot down again and again. How do they not learn? Then they ask questions that were already answered in the testimony. It's understandable that you might miss some details here or there, but some folks clearly have a hard time remembering anything and formulating a picture of what happened so they ask questions that should be obvious to anyone that just heard the testimony. Some prosecutors are particularly annoyed by this and I remember one in particular berating someone for not listening.

The most shocking thing about the whole process is to know, in graphic detail, all the horrors that are occuring around you. There was a lot of snoozer crimes like drug possession and the occasional DUI but you saw everything from assault and vandalism to rape and murder. Just a never ending parade of atrocities.  The worst of it however, was the prevalence of sexual assault. Everyone knows this type of thing is happening, but you would be appalled at the volume of occurances and this is just what was reported. There are so many monsters out there and so many people being victimized right now that it is sickening. I hope I never have to be on a Grand Jury again for that alone.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »
Have you ever heard the saying that a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich? It's true.
Not if the ham sandwich is a cop apparently.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »
Have you ever heard the saying that a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich? It's true.
The relevant part here is the second half of his quote, "if that's what you wanted it to do." Judge Wachtler was explaining that the grand jury is simply a tool for gaining indictments sought after by the prosecution. Don't know of Orthogonal had any such experience, but the flipside of it is probably that a grand jury would no-bill Adolph Hitler if that's what the prosecution wanted.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 12:56:17 PM »
Not if the ham sandwich is a white cop apparently.

Fixed

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
The relevant part here is the second half of his quote, "if that's what you wanted it to do." Judge Wachtler was explaining that the grand jury is simply a tool for gaining indictments sought after by the prosecution. Don't know of Orthogonal had any such experience, but the flipside of it is probably that a grand jury would no-bill Adolph Hitler if that's what the prosecution wanted.

I could probably count on one hand the number of No Bills we had. The few we did were when there was clearly no case and the prosecutor had nothing to go on. They won't say anything during the process, but afterwards we had one of them thank us for the no bill since they knew it had no chance of going anywhere.

I think in the many dozen's of cases we reviewed, we had only 1 no bill that the prosecutor was not happy about. I suspect they still pursued another rout to get an indictment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »

AND

Fixed

The "logic" makes no sense.   In fact, it is approaching "baffling".  Snarky responses aside (what exactly was "fixed"?), I fail to see how anyone who isn't in that room can with good conscience say that the outcome is wrong.   And the idea that it is somehow been "gamed" is equally flawed; in fact, this article does a great job of talking about why it is more likely that it was gamed in the opposite direction and the grand jury STILL didn't return an indictment (coming from The Washington Post, no less, so it is hard to say there is a political slant here, at least not one in my favor):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post#Political_stance

I get that the answer doesn't jibe with your world view, but take it from someone who is more often than not in that position:  sometimes it doesn't. 

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
a
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:23:25 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »

AND

Fixed

The "logic" makes no sense.   In fact, it is approaching "baffling".  Snarky responses aside (what exactly was "fixed"?), I fail to see how anyone who isn't in that room can with good conscience say that the outcome is wrong.   And the idea that it is somehow been "gamed" is equally flawed; in fact, this article does a great job of talking about why it is more likely that it was gamed in the opposite direction and the grand jury STILL didn't return an indictment (coming from The Washington Post, no less, so it is hard to say there is a political slant here, at least not one in my favor):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post#Political_stance

I get that the answer doesn't jibe with your world view, but take it from someone who is more often than not in that position:  sometimes it doesn't.
It was joke, Richard. At least mine was meant to be.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »

Names not Richard, but I think you know that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 05:58:21 AM »
I shit you not, I got a jury notice in the mail yesterday.

My scheduled time is the week beginning January 12, 2015.  I have to call the Friday before after 5:30 to listen to a recorded message, where I will find out if I actually have to show up or not.
Getting ready to report to the courthouse.  We'll see what happens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 06:17:06 AM »
...and I didn't have to serve after all.   :'(
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
Interesting (perhaps only to me) but there was an article in the paper here in CT the other day noting that the court in Fall River, MA was experiencing an anomaly:  more people showing up to jury duty, and less people trying to excuse their way out.

Why?   The Aaron Hernandez trial began jury selection this week. 

On a related note:  they placed a temporary ban on ALL sports apparel; anything with a team logo was temporarily banned from the courthouse. 

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
a
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:23:43 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2015, 10:11:48 AM »
On a related note:  they placed a temporary ban on ALL sports apparel; anything with a team logo was temporarily banned from the courthouse.

Seems counter intuitive.  The sports apparel would just make it easier to spot the potentially bad jurors.

One would think; but some guy showed up in a Bruins sweatshirt and they sent him home without access to the courthouse.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »

Seems counter intuitive.  The sports apparel would just make it easier to spot the potentially bad jurors.

One would think; but some guy showed up in a Bruins sweatshirt and they sent him home without access to the courthouse.
Decorum must be pretty different up there. Most judges down here wouldn't let you wear such a thing even at a JP traffic cout. While vague, the general guidelines are what you'd wear to church or a job interview. I'll still wear jeans and a non-descript tee-shirt (SCOTUS excepted, those guys are serious hardasses  :lol), but I definitely stop short of collar and slacks.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!
    • The ANABASIS
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »

AND

Fixed

Yeah, really, all I can think to say right now is probably more appropriately articulated best with this meme

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
In N.H you get to sit in the bowls of the courtroom while lawyers ask you questions for jury selection.  I got kicked out in all but 1.  It was a double murder that right before the trial was about to start and we were all in the deliberation room waiting, the case was bumped up to Federal.  So I never served.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2015, 09:42:02 AM »

Decorum must be pretty different up there. Most judges down here wouldn't let you wear such a thing even at a JP traffic cout. While vague, the general guidelines are what you'd wear to church or a job interview. I'll still wear jeans and a non-descript tee-shirt (SCOTUS excepted, those guys are serious hardasses  :lol), but I definitely stop short of collar and slacks.

Well, it's SUPPOSED to be along those general guidelines, but it doesn't work out that way.  I can't in good conscience give them credit for the forethought of actual "civil disobedience", so I'm stuck with just "people are slobs". 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »

Well, it's SUPPOSED to be along those general guidelines, but it doesn't work out that way.  I can't in good conscience give them credit for the forethought of actual "civil disobedience", so I'm stuck with just "people are slobs".
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »
^^^ At least he wore a jacket.  ;)