Poll

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DREAM THEATER SONG?

A Change of Seasons
14 (11.2%)
Home
1 (0.8%)
Octavarium
23 (18.4%)
Breaking All Illusions
4 (3.2%)
Trial of Tears
1 (0.8%)
Lines in the Sand
1 (0.8%)
Learning to Live
14 (11.2%)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
9 (7.2%)
Scarred
6 (4.8%)
Voices
0 (0%)
Metropolis
9 (7.2%)
In the Name of God
1 (0.8%)
Take the Time
1 (0.8%)
The Count of Tuscany
1 (0.8%)
Illumination Theory
3 (2.4%)
Under a Glass Moon
0 (0%)
Blind Faith
1 (0.8%)
Finally Free
3 (2.4%)
Bridges in the Sky
2 (1.6%)
The Spirit Carries On
1 (0.8%)
Fatal Tragedy
0 (0%)
Stream of Consciousness
0 (0%)
Pull Me Under
0 (0%)
In the Presence of Enemies
2 (1.6%)
Overture 1928
0 (0%)
Space-Dye Vest
2 (1.6%)
Beyond This Life
0 (0%)
The Mirror
0 (0%)
The Glass Prison
0 (0%)
Disappear
2 (1.6%)
Hell's Kitchen
3 (2.4%)
The Great Debate
0 (0%)
Endless Sacrifice
0 (0%)
Outcry
0 (0%)
On the Backs of Angels
0 (0%)
Caught in a Web
0 (0%)
Surrounded
2 (1.6%)
Wait For Sleep
0 (0%)
6:00
0 (0%)
Lie
1 (0.8%)
Sacrificed Sons
0 (0%)
Strange Deja vu
0 (0%)
Innocence Faded
0 (0%)
This Dying Soul
0 (0%)
Surrender to Reason
1 (0.8%)
The Root of All Evil
1 (0.8%)
Erotomania
0 (0%)
These Walls
1 (0.8%)
Misunderstood
0 (0%)
This is the Life
0 (0%)
The Ministry of Lost Souls
0 (0%)
One Last Time
0 (0%)
The Enemy Inside
0 (0%)
Lifting Shadows off a Dream
1 (0.8%)
A Nightmare to Remember
2 (1.6%)
Peruvian Skies
0 (0%)
The Dance of Eternity
2 (1.6%)
Behind the Veil
0 (0%)
Another Day
0 (0%)
Panic Attack
0 (0%)
Afterlife
0 (0%)
The Best of Times
0 (0%)
The Bigger Picture
1 (0.8%)
Through Her Eyes
0 (0%)
Lost Not Forgotten
0 (0%)
The Killing Hand
1 (0.8%)
Forsaken
0 (0%)
Beneath the Surface
0 (0%)
Honor Thy Father
0 (0%)
The Shattered Fortress
0 (0%)
Eve
0 (0%)
Along For the Ride
0 (0%)
As I Am
0 (0%)
Constant Motion
0 (0%)
Hollow Years
0 (0%)
Wither
0 (0%)
The Dark Eternal Night
0 (0%)
Ytse Jam
0 (0%)
A Fortune in Lies
0 (0%)
To Live Forever
0 (0%)
Never Enough
0 (0%)
The Silent Man
0 (0%)
Raise the Knife
1 (0.8%)
Enigma Machine
0 (0%)
The Looking Glass
0 (0%)
I Walk Beside You
1 (0.8%)
Vacant
0 (0%)
New Millennium
1 (0.8%)
The Answer Lies Within
0 (0%)
Just Let Me Breathe
0 (0%)
Repentance
0 (0%)
A Rite of Passage
0 (0%)
Far From Heaven
0 (0%)
False Awakening Suite
0 (0%)
Anna Lee
0 (0%)
Only a Matter of Time
1 (0.8%)
Cover My Eyes
0 (0%)
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
0 (0%)
Another Won
0 (0%)
Speak to Me
0 (0%)
Take Away My Pain
0 (0%)
Status Seeker
0 (0%)
Light Fuse and Getaway
0 (0%)
Regression
0 (0%)
Don't Look Past Me
0 (0%)
Prophets of War
0 (0%)
Burning My Soul
0 (0%)
Raw Dog
2 (1.6%)
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
0 (0%)
The Way It Used to Be
0 (0%)
You Not Me
1 (0.8%)
You or Me
0 (0%)
My Favorite DT song was not listed, I will leave a reply about it.
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DREAM THEATER SONG?  (Read 8270 times)

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Re: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DREAM THEATER SONG?
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
Darn

I was really looking forward to more polls
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »
You couldn't even do that in a poll, lol. Everyone would just have to write out how all the songs rank for them.

How many of you guys wanna do that?  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
If you were willing to curb it down to top 50 lists, then there's a lot of data already out there. We've discussed using it in years past.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35386.0

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »
Well, if there's a tracker thread, that does make it easier. Maybe I'll analyze the data after all. Although my own list (which was in the original, or 2nd thread) is very out of date, and I imagine the up to date list would be quite different, which is another problem, people's tastes and appreciation for these songs changes with time, so there would still be some inaccuracies.

But it's still probably going to give a better general idea. Maybe I'll just put together a new top 50 for myself, and once that's done, analyze the date from the rest.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »
What are you analyzing?  The migration of a European Swallow.  And you?  Top 50 favorite Dream Theater songs based of a fan board. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
The Dance of Eternity..

I've been looking for it, but there's definitely not an emoticon that can express what I feel for this song theme.. This track, this instrumental.. Call it the way you want, for me always will be the best piece of art ever composed.. My blood runs cold every time I hear it.. It makes me smile, brings me peacefulness and strength, and even give pleasure, I must say, every time I hear it.. Yeah, it's almost sexual.. Which actually wouldn't be so far from the meaning of this masterpiece.. :azn: Or, as Virgil Donati would say: "the mother of all pieces"...

All THAT I feel for this DT-so-underrated-material, and we're talking about an instrumental here!.. I mean, if a musical work with no lyrics provides (to someone) all this, then for sure it should be (at least for that someone) a very touching work.. And, you can say it (or think) all the times you want it: it doesn't have any "climax" moment or whatever... but, when I said that a DT song must have a lovely or gorgeous moment to get to like ME?.. Never.. I like their technical stuff.. I like their heavy stuff.. I like their prog and experimental part.. Also their light side.. But, either way, I "like" TDoE that much.. "Like", because I know that's not the word.. I love this track.. In fact, let me put it in this other way, to be more precise and even at risk of seeming insane:

I'm in love with The Dance of Eternity... :heart

Well, I'm also 'in love' with DT in general, as I think many of you are, but I just love this piece so much that it's for me the best they have done.. I do feel almost the same for another songs like Metropolis, TCoT, TGP, all Train, 8V the song, Erotomania, TMoLS, but this one in particularly I've always felt like is very unique and special to me.. The meaning on its own it's extraordinary by itself.. The reminiscences of Metropolis are excellent, clever and very appropriate.. The sounding, the changing in the time signatures, the neatness and beauty of it..

I always had the impression that DT themselves also consider this instrumental to be their best (I mean among their instrumentals, not among the whole songs), because of the choice of make it the backbone of Instrumedley, which I easily believe is their best medley.. And that's precisely the other big reason I'm so fascinated with TDoE: the vast majority of the parts I most enjoy from DT songs are the instrumental ones.. (I listen to bands like Planet X, Freakeys, Animals as Leaders, and, of course, LTE; also, I like Haken and Symphony X, e.g., which, as you may know, have a strong singer presence, but anyway are very instrumental prog bands) I consider JLB to be the best singer on earth, but the kind of things the other guys in the band can make with their instruments are just beyond all magnificence.. In fact, IMO the best SONG from them is Metropolis, and mainly because of the instrumental part..

Let me finish with a quote from Lovecraft's "The Music of Erich Zann":

Quote from: HPLovecraft on December, 1921
... strains I had never heard before; strains which must have been of [their] own devising. To describe their exact nature is impossible for one unversed in music. They were a kind of fugue, with recurrent passages of the most captivating quality, but to me were notable (...) . Those haunting notes I had remembered, and had often hummed and whistled inaccurately to myself...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
Anyone notice Octavarium now has double the votes of A Change of Seasons?  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »
The Dance of Eternity..

I've been looking for it, but there's definitely not an emoticon that can express what I feel for this song theme.. This track, this instrumental.. Call it the way you want, for me always will be the best piece of art ever composed.. My blood runs cold every time I hear it.. It makes me smile, brings me peacefulness and strength, and even give pleasure, I must say, every time I hear it.. Yeah, it's almost sexual.. Which actually wouldn't be so far from the meaning of this masterpiece.. :azn: Or, as Virgil Donati would say: "the mother of all pieces"...

All THAT I feel for this DT-so-underrated-material, and we're talking about an instrumental here!.. I mean, if a musical work with no lyrics provides (to someone) all this, then for sure it should be (at least for that someone) a very touching work.. And, you can say it (or think) all the times you want it: it doesn't have any "climax" moment or whatever... but, when I said that a DT song must have a lovely or gorgeous moment to get to like ME?.. Never.. I like their technical stuff.. I like their heavy stuff.. I like their prog and experimental part.. Also their light side.. But, either way, I "like" TDoE that much.. "Like", because I know that's not the word.. I love this track.. In fact, let me put it in this other way, to be more precise and even at risk of seeming insane:

Well, I'm also 'in love' with DT in general, as I think many of you are, but I just love this piece so much that it's for me the best they have done.. I do feel almost the same for another songs like Metropolis, TCoT, TGP, all Train, 8V the song, Erotomania, TMoLS, but this one in particularly I've always felt like is very unique and special to me.. The meaning on its own it's extraordinary by itself.. The reminiscences of Metropolis are excellent, clever and very appropriate.. The sounding, the changing in the time signatures, the neatness and beauty of it..

I always had the impression that DT themselves also consider this instrumental to be their best (I mean among their instrumentals, not among the whole songs), because of the choice of make it the backbone of Instrumedley, which I easily believe is their best medley.. And that's precisely the other big reason I'm so fascinated with TDoE: the vast majority of the parts I most enjoy from DT songs are the instrumental ones.. (I listen to bands like Planet X, Freakeys, Animals as Leaders, and, of course, LTE; also, I like Haken and Symphony X, e.g., which, as you may know, have a strong singer presence, but anyway are very instrumental prog bands) I consider JLB to be the best singer on earth, but the kind of things the other guys in the band can make with their instruments are just beyond all magnificence.. In fact, IMO the best SONG from them is Metropolis, and mainly because of the instrumental part..

... strains I had never heard before; strains which must have been of [their] own devising. To describe their exact nature is impossible for one unversed in music. They were a kind of fugue, with recurrent passages of the most captivating quality, but to me were notable (...) . Those haunting notes I had remembered, and had often hummed and whistled inaccurately to myself...

Great post!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »

Yeah, that is pretty laughable.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

I approve of this.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
The Dance of Eternity..

Yeah, for me, the only thing that pushes Metropolis ahead of it is James LaBrie. But musically, instrumentally, The Dance of Eternity is an absolute masterpiece!  :tup

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
The Dance of Eternity..

So you were the second vote!

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
We should always remember the Arrow Impossibility Theorem when forming rankings. You can't reach a perfect ordering of the songs. By perfect I mean satisfying:

0) 3 or more alternatives (this one has 120)
1) If every voter prefers alternative X over alternative Y, then the group prefers X over Y.
2) If every voter's preference between X and Y remains unchanged, then the group's preference between X and Y will also remain unchanged (even if voters' preferences between other pairs like X and Z, Y and Z, or Z and W change).
3) There is no "dictator": no single voter possesses the power to always determine the group's preference.

And I'm copying it from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow's_impossibility_theorem

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »

How so? It deserves to have twice as many votes.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »

:corn
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »

Why don't you ask Lucien?  I never said it didn't deserve twice as many votes.  I was just agreeing with him.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
Learning to Live
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
Scarred.

And it's a no-brainer these days for me. It's not only as epic as DT usually can get, it's a really weird song too. Harmonically speaking, for DT, this is totally out-there.

The intro and outro are really special, and the solos are out of this world. In fact, it's my favorite JP solo. Have I mentioned JLB's second verse already? Good lord.

Awake fanboy here though. For me it's their best record by far. I've always liked it, but it has taken me years to feel this way about it. And for some reason, the intrigue just never ends.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
Hell's Kitchen....too hard, so many choices...just went with one I love a lot!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »
The Dance of Eternity..

Great post!

Thanks!..  :tup

The Dance of Eternity..

So you were the second vote!

So YOU were the first vote!!..  :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline SupermanJLU

« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
A Change of Seasons

The first DT song still my favorite DT song

"Seize the day
And don't you cry
Now it's time
To say good-bye
Even though
I'll be gone
I will live on
Live on"

I get chills just reading these lyrics

Offline adamack

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2014, 10:01:47 PM »
My Top 4:

Finally Free
Octavarium
Home
Breaking All Illusions

These are all tied at the #1 spot for me, but I chose Finally Free for the poll.

The reason is simple. Finally Free is, along with Home, the oldest song of the bunch. Yet it still remains a song I listen to and love.

So, although Octavarium and BAI both have a CHANCE at being as timeless, Finally Free has already PROVEN that it is timeless. Home is a song I do not listen to quite as much as the others, so I chose FF over it.

Home belongs up there though, because it got me into DT.

So, Finally Free it is!