Poll

Which DT power ballad is king?

Charlie Dominici can not do power ballads justice (WDADU)
1 (0.6%)
Another Day (I&W)
17 (10.1%)
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (Awake)
18 (10.7%)
Anna Lee (FII)
9 (5.3%)
The Spirit Carries On (SFAM)
31 (18.3%)
Misunderstood (SDOIT)
18 (10.7%)
We are too dark and brooding for a power ballad (ToT)
3 (1.8%)
The Answer Lies Within (Octavarium, reluctantly)
2 (1.2%)
The Ministry of Lost Souls (SC, barely qualifying)
12 (7.1%)
Wither (BC&SL)
7 (4.1%)
This is the Life (ADTOE)
20 (11.8%)
The Bigger Picture (DT)
23 (13.6%)
James LaBrie
8 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: February 02, 2015, 05:27:35 PM

Author Topic: Yet another poll: The Battle of the DT Power Ballads  (Read 3546 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Yet another poll: The Battle of the DT Power Ballads
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »
Personally, in spite of the original intention behind the concept of a power ballad, I think even back in the 80s, quite a few of them were very beautiful and have become something from the 80s that people remember quite fondly. So I see nothing wrong with the term.
I don't see anything wrong with the term either, and I like a lot of power ballads from that time period.  But I listened to music before that time, and during that time, and that's when the term arose, so I associate it with that music. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
One of my choices was "Too Dark and Brooding... TOT". The reason for it is that I love their decision to not have a power ballad on that record. It's such a compact, broad brush album that a ballad would have broken that up.

I also chose TSCO and Misunderstood which speak for themselves... by the way, is Misunderstood really a ballad?

-Tof

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »
Not getting how some of DT's ballads aren't listed, such as Take Away My Pain. That one should be on the list - at least the original demo version is the definition of "power ballad".

However, worse yet is the fact that my favorite DT power ballad is completely missing from the list: Disappear.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Calvin6s

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
I picked Misunderstood because I didn't see Eve as an option.  Both are all time classics

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
I think if anything fits the definition of a power ballad for Dream Theater, it's Along for the Ride. Would have been one of my choices if it were on the list. xD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »
I think if anything fits the definition of a power ballad for Dream Theater, it's Along for the Ride. Would have been one of my choices if it were on the list. xD

It lacks POWER for a power ballad. One of the signatures of a power ballad is that it has to have this emotional climax, usually through the belting of high notes.

Not getting how some of DT's ballads aren't listed, such as Take Away My Pain. That one should be on the list - at least the original demo version is the definition of "power ballad".

However, worse yet is the fact that my favorite DT power ballad is completely missing from the list: Disappear.

Because I only selected one power ballad per album. The rules of the game for this post. :p

Disappear as a power ballad. Too depressing?

I always thought of power ballads as being a song that is mostly soft but has a heavy powerful outro.  Like I always considered Abandoned by Kamelot as a power ballad.  Maybe I am wrong, but I mostly agree that none of the songs listed here are real power ballads and mostly just ballads.  Maybe This is the Life?

It can have a heavy and powerful outro, but the climax can also come before or immediately after an emotional instrumental, usually a melodic lead guitar.

I don't know, to me that term has very specific connotations having to do with the 80s rock scene.  Rock bands doing a "ballad" with some overdriven guitar and solos.  Poison and Winger and Warrant did power ballads.  As fodder for female fans and for hits and to get play on MTV.  That, to me, is the era of the power ballad.

For me, a song like LSOAD is cheapened by being called a power ballad.  And TALW is just a ballad, there is no power there.

I dunno, it's just me, I guess.

C'mon, I was just having ridiculous fun when I did this post. Vote for LSOAD, you know you want to. :p

Actually, this silly post just came from an urge for me to sing my heart out on a DT ballad while I am alone in my office room.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »

It lacks POWER for a power ballad. One of the signatures of a power ballad is that it has to have this emotional climax, usually through the belting of high notes.

Naaw... What about the second verse when it kicks up a gear? And the bridge? And the belting high notes in the final chorus harmonies? Those bits have powwah so AFTR is totally a power ballad. :P

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »
Are you kidding? Along for the ride is pretty much more power than ballad.  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »

Naaw... What about the second verse when it kicks up a gear? And the bridge? And the belting high notes in the final chorus harmonies? Those bits have powwah so AFTR is totally a power ballad. :P

Hmmm...you're right. TBP still has the bigger fighting chance for the DT album. :)