Author Topic: JRundquist's 2014 Music In Review  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: JRundquist's 2014 Music In Review
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
Menace is pretty great, I really need to pick up the album.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
I liked Fozzy's Do You Wanna Start a War.  I pegged it at probably 7/10.  It was a step-up from Sin and Bones, but it's not better than Chasing the Grail.  If only this album had a 10 min.+ song, like in the last two albums.  Those actually showcased the band and Jericho's vocals well.

Anywho, this album is all right.  The title track, Died With You, One Crazed Anarchist, Tonight (yes, it's cheesy, but cheese is sometimes good), and Brides of Fire were my favorites.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »
Matter of tastes, but I loved Destiny Potato :heart .

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
I'd give the Judas Priest about a 2, and I'd give Unisonic about an 8.

This man knows what's up.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »
Matter of tastes, but I loved Destiny Potato :heart .

This.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »
There are times where I do like it and other times I just can't get into it. I guess I jsut gotta be in the mood to listen to it.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
Oh I can see the whole "matter of taste" thing with Destiny Potato, you surely have to be into the music.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
 I'm going to try to get as many done tonight as I possibly can because next week is already Christmas and this is one of my last free days I can spend on reviewing albums that are not in my top 100 before the year is out.

Phase V: Part I

101.) Astral Doors- Notes From The Shadows
FFO: Heavily Dio inspired Heavy Metal

Almost as if there was a Swedish Dio, Nils Patrik Johansson shows off his Dio vocal chops with his band Astral Doors. It's almost eerie in a way to hear the similarities. Musically it sounds like Heavy Metal/Power Metal, not the most groundbreaking stuff, but definitely worth checking out for any Dio fan.

7/10

102.) Decapitated- Blood Mantra
FFO: Death Metal The last Decapitated album Carnival Is Forever

In a sense this album is Carnival Is Forever Pt. II, but that said it is damn good. It continues the trend of where Decapitated has been HEADing for a while (sorry I couldn't resist). It's nice and heavy but if you expect the old Decapitated sound you will be disappointed.

7/10

103.) Evil Scarecrow- Galactic Hunt
FFO: Heavy Metal, Symphonic Metal, Black Metal screams

Musically this sound like taking Judas Priest, Dimmu Borgir and Dream Theater and putting them in a blender. It's an odd combination but it really works. Very symphonic and lots of keyboards, The epic approach of Dream Theater, the simplistic but heaviness of Priest, and the vocals of Dimmu Borgir. Give it a shot.

8/10

104.) Freak Kitchen- Cooking With Pagans
FFO: Frank Zappa style Progressive Metal

Hilarious lyrics, brilliant songwriting and musicianship. Freak Kitchen is such an underrated band, especially considering how amazing all three guys are at their craft. While not their best album, this is indeed worthy of a lot of spins. Matthias can do no wrong, ever.

8/10

105.) Screams Of Scarlet- Nowhere To Hyde
Metalcore, Clean Vocals, Modern Hard Rock

Sometimes it is refreshing to hear music like this with just clean vocals. Musically it reminds me of Avenged Sevenfold's Waking The Fallen if it had all clean vocals. It is pretty nice and heavy considering the genre it is. While the name may sound like something of the Hot Topic variety, unless I am missing something in their music, they are not of the Hot Topic style. Just heavy metal with some mainstream rockin' sounds.

8/10

106.) Hail Spirit Noir- Oi Magol
FFO: Psychedelic Black Metal

One of the strangest bands going. Taking 60's psychedelic and mixing it with early 90s Black Metal. It's a polarizing combination where either you get it, or you don't. If you think you could enjoy a mashup of Pink Floyd, Mayhem and King Crimson, you may enjoy this a lot.

8/10

107.) Last Scattering- Eidolon
FFO: Between The Buried And Me, Genre Bending Progressive Metal

This is another example of an album that if I had more time to fully digest it, it would have been in my Top 100 somewhere. There is becoming an influx of bands who are inspired by the ideas of BTBAM coming to the woodwork and will be showing up more in the next couple years in a prominent form. These guys are a very genre defying band that have magnificent musicianship and songwriting, can write several genres in one song and have it make sense. The only thing that keeps it from getting more and more plays from me is the production (as the band gets bigger it will get better) and getting used to the vocals, once that happens these guys will be huge. I expect great things from these guys as the years go by. Who else can write an 18 minute song called Matt Damon?

9/10

108.) Grorr- The Unknown Citizens
FFO: Meshuggah, Tool, King Crimson

A french Progressive Metal band with very low, baritone, almost Zakk Wylde type vocals. While at times it has Meshuggah ridden riffs, it goes into King Crimson type atmospheres, Devin Townsend style symphonics and Tool kookiness. For those that want something a lot better than what a lot of bands are doing now a days, this a great band to be on the lookout for.

9/10

109.) Gazpacho- Demon
FFO: Progressive Rock, Art Rock

Gazpacho is definitely of the variety of Prog Rock that does not get heavy. It sticks to the Rock and experimental side. Much like if Muse, Porcupine Tree and Godspeed You! Black Emperor wanted to make Art Rock. Proceed with caution. It's pretty strange stuff, if you like strange, it's for you!

7/10

110.) White Arms Of Athena-
FFO: The Prog ROCK side of Between The Buried And Me

Again an album I got too late to fully digest o make on my top list. Had it come out earlier this year it would be WAY HIGH! The band is very capable of everything they play yet they stick to playing more of the Prog Rock side than getting too heavy. While there are some heavy moments, they aren't so much in the Progressive Death Metal side of things. This band is much like a Coke Zero of BTBAM, all the great style changes of BTBAM, but without the sugar of Death Metal that will give you diabetes.

9/10

111.) Threshold- For The Journey
FFO: Progressive Rock, Power Metal Ballads

If Progressive Rock/Power Metal was ever made for the Michael Bolton type crowd, it would be Threshold. I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all, but just know what you are getting yourself in for if you divulge in this. It has very short moments of heavy at times, but it is very 80s/90s Adult Contemporary with a lot of cheesy moments. That said, it is great stuff when you want something light.

7/10

112.) Sleepmakeswaves- Love Of Cartography
FFO: Post Rock, Progressive Rock

Easily one of the best things to ever come out of Australia. Sleepmakeswaves is such a fantastic band that knows how to use dynamics, twists, and turns to keep you motivated and enjoy every second you hear. If you wanna hear a fantastic Post Rock band that has their stuff together, this is a great starter album.

9/10

113.) Horrendous- Ecdysis
FFO: Classic Death Metal with a bit of experimentation

The 2012 album, The Chills, is one of the best Death metal albums of the 21st century. It made anything to follow that album almost impossible to beat. This gets close but not at the same level. There is a lot more experimentation on this album (the moment of Atmospheric Black Metal at the end of the album is a bit of a jaw dropper). The album somewhat suffer from low production as well, which makes it a lot more raw and haunting. But don't let any of this discourage you, it's a fantastic album. Make sure to check it out, and of course, the Chills, if you haven't already.

7/10

114.) Body Count- Manslaughter
FFO: Rap Metal, Nu Metal, "Comedy" Metal

Ice-T is back with his Metal band, Body Count after a very long hiatus. This is actually a fantastic album if you don't take it seriously. If you look at it like I say in the FFO section above :"Comedy" Metal, it will help you appreciate it more. It's a novelty album, but a fun one at that.

8/10

115.) Sinbreed- Shadows
FFO: Power Metal

A perfect definition of what makes for amazing Power Metal. Great vocals, fast and heavy, great music all around. This has it all. A very underrated album to come out this year, but it definitely deserves some love.

8/10

116.) Appalachian Winter- The Epochs That Built The Mountains
FFO: Black Metal, Symphonic Metal, American Folk, Folk Metal

Much like Panopticon (who will be talked about down the road) Appalachian Winter is a one man project that likes to focus on Black Metal and Folk music. While unlike Panopticon, Appalachian Winter focuses much more on Symphonics, but still has its fair share of Folk influence as well. With being just a m\one man project, it is hard to be able to get the right production, so it does lack a bit in this department, but if you look past it, you hear some AMAZING work done.

9/10

117.) Wovenwar- Wovenwar
FFO: Metalcore with all clean vocals, some Radio Rock moments

From the ashes of As I lay Dying comes Wovenwar featuring the instrumental 3/4s of AILD and Oh, Sleeper vocalist Shane Blay. Musically, it is very similar to AILD at times, but it is much more mainstream friendly. the all clean vocals definitely help with that. It is much closer to being a Radio Friendly band than their other bands. BUt even with that said, it is really good songs. If you are looking for AILD or Oh, Sleeper in this band, you will be disappointed. If you look at it as a new entity, you could very much enjoy it. I know I do.

8/10

118.) The Goddamn Gallows- The Maker
FFO: Bluegrass, Punk, Black Metal, Hank III type zaniness

One of the strangest, yet awesome bands out there. Combining the love of Bluegrass with Blackened Punk. It's something that is very hard to describe in words. It is just something to experience with your ears, and witness live if you ever get the chance. the right youtube video will help in that experience.

8/10

119.) The Scintilla Project- The Hybrid
FFO:  Symphonic Metal, Heavy Metal

Wanna hear Biff Byford of Saxon since Industrial driven Symphonic Metal? Well here is your chance. It's a very strange thought but producer Lionel Hicks wanted to make a Metal concept album about his film Scintilla. The result is like a soundtrack to the apocalypse performed by Saxon and producer Andy Sneap. Once you get used to how strange it sounds hearing Biff do this kind of music, it all makes sense.

8/10

120.) Pilgrim- II: Void Worship
FFO: Doom Metal, Hard Rock

In all honesty, this album is a bit of a letdown in comparison to their amazing debut album, but this album still has it's charm. It has much better production. The songs are a bit shorter and more hard rockin'. It's still very much worth checking out but make sure to check out the debut album from Pilgrim as well!

7/10

121.) The Unguided- Fragile Immortality
FFO: Modern Metal, Synth heavy Metal, Sonic Syndicate

The second album from this band has the pop and metal sensibilities that Sonic Syndicate have. The band also features a bit more of a hard rock tinge than Sonic Syndicate. It's the type of music that American Metal fans can imagine is on Swedish Hard Rock stations. If you are into Pop Synths, you will hate this, if you don't, you may be able to enjoy this.

7/10

122.) Midnight- No Mercy For Mayhem
FFO: Blackened Thrash Metal, Black N' Roll

Seriously killer stuff from a great band. Imagine Motorhead and Venom creating a band together, and you have midnight. I'm not too familiar with Midnight's back catalog as this is my first taste of the band, but if this band's back catalog is as solid as this album, this is one of the bands going right now.

9/10

123.) Blood God- Blood Is My Trademark
FFO: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal

A side project of the band Debauchery. This album really hits home with the love of late 70s early 80s Heavy Metal and Hard Rock. The vocals are very AC/DC inspired. If the idea of those kinds of vocals scare you off, don't fret, they also released the same album with Death Growls instead (very much like the band Debauchery would do).

7/10

124.) Inanimate Existence- A Never Ending Cycle Of Atonement
FFO: Technical Death Metal

Absolutely soul crushing Metal.  So dark and heavy while showing off the tech death chops. to put it simply if you only dug the first two albums from The Faceless, this is for you!

8/10

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »
Phase V: Part II

125.) Klogr- Black Snow
FFO: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal[/B]

It's not often you can find a band that combines the heaviness of old school Metallica and mix it with sounds of A Perfect Circle and Porcupine Tree. It does not make too much sense until you experience it for yourself. A very cool idea for a band and I can expect this catching on if it gets to the right audience. A great mix of ambiance and heavy while being radio friendly.

9/10

126.) Alpha Male Tea Party- Droids
FFO: Instrumental Metal, Math Rock

Very fun, killer music. As if The Dillinger Escape Plan went in an Instrumental rock direction. The musicianship in this band is astounding! Very creative music that is just long enough to keep your attention without getting boring.

9/10

127.) One Machine- The Distortion of Lies and the Overdriven Truth
FFO: Nevermore, Mercenary

Easily some of the best music produced in 2014, vocally...it's a bit hard to appreciate. While at times it matches perfectly, at other time it clashes a lot with the music and doesn't gel. If I can ever get past that notion I know I'd love this more. But again musically, it is amazing on every level.

7/10

128.) The Autumn League- Concept Of Irony
FFO: Atmospheric Death Metal; Atmospheric Black Metal; Post Rock

This perfectly blends Atmosphere and Post Rock with Blackened Death Metal. Atmospheric stuff has really come into play ever since Alcest really started to showcase it for a few albums. When it'd done right its awesome, when it is crappy one man projects on bandcamp, it 9 times out of 10 sucks really bad. This however is awesome. I wish i had more time to appreciate it before the end of the year came, but alas that is not the case. Enjoy it if this peaks your interest.

9/10

129.) Rings Of Saturn- Lugal Ki En
FFO: Unplayable Technical Death Metal

I can't for the life of me get into much music that isn't actually performed by the artists who are supposedly playing/singing. Rings Of Saturn is a prime example of that. While some look at it as just composing what is in your head, I will always feel the need that if you want to play the music in your head, you gotta actually do it yourself, not let a computer do it. While yes,this band does play live....you know what, I'm not getting into it. There is plenty on this subject already, just look up the band and you'll find everything you need. I'll just say that if this music was actually playable, it would be fantastic. And I did find 25 albums I liked less than this.

4/10

130.) Hyperborean- Mythos Of The Great Pestilence
FFO: Technical Black Metal

Strange that something like this exists, but it had to happen at sometime. This doesn't have the best production values, but the music is quite awesome.

7/10

131.) Halcyon Way- Conquer
FFO: Progressive Metal

Imagine if you will a band that is influenced by Fates Warning And Queensryche, Devildriver and Lamb Of God. it exists in Halcyon Way. It's a cool combination. The death growls are solely used for backups and never takes away from the aawesome clean vocals. Musically it stays pretty close to standard progressive Metal, but then throws in some extra heavy Death Metal, Metalcore moments to spice things up. Very cool stuff!

9/10

132.) Killwhitneydead- Suffer My Wrath
FFO: Metalcore, Death Metal, Soundclips

Killwhitneydead is best known for using a ton of soundclips in their music. On this album they are almost solely used at just the beginning of songs and let's the music do the talking instead. Also one huge difference in this album is the use of clean vocals, which you'd never expect from this band. It is actually really killer stuff. Not your first choice in Metal albums, but a great choice none the less.

8/10

133.) Teramaze- Esoteric Symbolism
FFO: Progressive Metal

While sticking to all clean lead vocals, Teramaze combines the sound of Progressive Metal and the ideals of Swedish Death Metal. It makes for a monumentally awesome combination. Much like Dream Theater meets Soilwork or Queensryche meets In Flames. Genuinely fantastic stuff!

9/10

134.) Yob- Clearing The Path to Ascend
FFO: Doom Metal, Sludge Metal

The legendary Doom band, Yob, is back with their latest album. It's a long one as well, 4 songs, almost 62 and a half minutes. While the band has written easilyone of their best albums to date (the songs really are stellar), this album really lacks in production. With a full scale prodction this could have been an album of the year contender for a lot of people. While it still sounds great, it's that little bit of production problem that makes you actually notice it's not all it could be. But again 4 of the best songs Yob has ever written....ever!

8/10

135.) 9000 John Doe- Redneck Is The New Black
FFO: "Hillbilly" Hardcore

Basically how the Danish people picture American Rednecks. It is very fitting and makes a lot of sense. The music is right up in the Metal/hardcore route while completely making fun of the 'Merican Redneck culture. It's great as a novelty. Don't look for too much substance in this album.

7/10

136.) The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra: Zombie Mouth
FFO: Progressive Rock, Folk, Violin, Bluegrass

If Rush wanted to do Bluegrass, it would not be too much different than what The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra is doing. Odd time signatures a prog sensibility, all while being fiddle driven. Not for everyone, but those that could appreciate this album, will!

9/10

137.) Warthone- Venomassacre
FFO: Black Metal, Death Metal, Female Fronted

A very killer album from Erik Erik Sayenga (ex Dying Fetus). Keyboard driven Black Metal and Death Metal with hints of grindcore and atmosphere. With it being such a small band, the production isn't perfect, but it matches the attitude of the album and it has a nice raw feel to it. If you dig Erik's work, you'll love this!

9/10

138.) Autopsy- Tourniquets, Hacksaws And Graves
FFO: Old School Death Metal

This is the third album from Autopsy since their reunion in 2009 and they are a fine tuned machine at this point. Every song is classic Autopsy. Dark, heavy, Thrashy, doomy, everything you'd want and more. Not sure if it's their best album since the reunion, but without question, it is solid.

8/10

139.) Redwood Hill- Collider
FFO: Post Metal

Very solid Danish Post Metal. Lots of great dynamics and atmosphere. Dark and evil sounding just as Post Metal should sound. Awesome stuff!

7/10

140.) Deadfall- The First Harbinger
FFO: Djent

If you hate djent you may as well stay away. If you like it or can at least tolerate it, I highly recommend checking this out. The vocals are mostly clean and a bit in the high register. It has a good mix of the Meshuggah and atmosphere behind it. If you can dig the genre, you will love these guys!

8/10

141.) Lacuna Coil- Broken Crown Halo
FFO: Female Goth Metal

Lacuna Coil band sounds like Lacuna Coil.

7/10

142.) Slipknot- .5 The Gray Chapter
FFO: Industrial Metal, Nu Metal, 9 guys in one band

Of all the slipknot releases so far, this is the fifth album.

5/10

143.) Linkin Park- The Hunting Party
FFO: Nu Metal, Alternative Rock

Linking Park tries to get their groove back, they kinda succeed. Adding guitars back into the music was a good touch and hugely missed but not all the songs on here are good, but the ones that are, like the one featuring Page Hamilton, are very good.

5/10

144.) Suncrown- You Are Not Alone
FFO: Symphonic Metal, Power Metal, Male/Female vocals

Pretty solid Power Metal and Symphonic Metal. Nothing mezmerizing, but if you like Symphonics in your Power Metal this is definitely an album for you. their cover of Rainbow's Gates Of Babylon is the best part of the album.
6/10

145.) Norrskold- Reflections Of The Night Sky
FFO: Symphonic Black Metal

Vintersorg meets the speed of In Flames meets the epicness of Opeth. It is one damn sexy combination. It lacks a bit in production, but again the music is incredible and definitely worth checking out!

8/10

146.) Northern Oak- Of Roots And Flesh
FFO: Progressive Metal, Folk Metal

Nothing beats the kind of Folk Metal that actually uses REAL Folk instruments.  While some can consider this extremely cheesy and fluffy, this album is fantastic if you dig folk metal. Well thought out and produced. Definitely an underground album that deserves attention.

9/10

147.) Wolfmother- New Crown
FFO: Classic Rock, Led Zepplin, that song mother you kinda remember from almost a decade ago

Wolfmother is back? Yes they are, and from the looks of it by you totally forgetting about the band, they did not make too much of an impact. The album is actually quite good. A lot like the first album, but not as memorable. Still worth a listen if you ever dug the band.

6/10

148.) ACxDC- Antichrist Demoncore
FFO: Power Violence, Grindcore

Much like the album title suggests. It's fast, heavy, short and full of hardcore, powerviolence goodness. Only 20 minutes long, but it is considered an album so screw it. Check it out!

7/10

149.) Cloven Hoof- Resist Or Serve
FFO: NWOBHM

The legendary NWOBHM band is back with their first album in 6 years. If you need your fix of the classic Late 70s/Early 80s sound. This is for you. So killer. GEt your denim vest folks, this music calls for it!

8/10

150.) Rain Of Acid- Ghost Town
FFO: Melodic Death Metal

Without question, one of the best MDM albums of the year. Solid from start to finish with some moments of pure brilliance. Melodic and catchy all while staying nice and heavy. That's all I want in MDM. This is definitely worth a shot, especially the song, Broken.

9/10

That's it I'm spent for tonight, DAMN!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »
Had a few on the last batch I've heard. Totally agree with the Teramaze, stunning album.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »
Love, love, love the YOB album. Easily one of my favorites of the year. I think the production totally suits it.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
I'm glad you guys are digging the reviews so far!

I'm most likely going to stop with the albums that didn't make my top 100 to make my top 100 soon. I still gotta go through all my albums to see what makes the cut. I have preliminary ideas but some albums gotta get cut.

And I still don't know what will be my number 1 album this year. I know in the past it's always been a safe bet to say it would be Dream Theater or Devin Townsend, BUT this year is different.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
Are these phases grouped in any way, or is it just random?

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
Are these phases grouped in any way, or is it just random?

100% completely random.

What I do every year it make a playlist of all the albums I got in the current year; take out the albums that will be in my top of the year; then take out the albums that I can't give a fair opinion on; then write up the worst of the year. Then the albums that are left of this playlist I hit random on my iTunes and do my review, delete that album from the playlist; then continue on till it's done. Then I FINALLY do my Top list.

Although this year I may do my best of list then go back to the albums I didn't didn't get to in these phases simply because I have so much to get to.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »
Fuck it, time to do the Top 100 of 2014. If I don't start now I won't get done until after the new year.

THE TOP 100 ALBUMS OF 2014!!!!...!
*As far as ranking, remember these are, in my opinion, the best albums of the year, so think of them all as 9.5/10-10/10*

100.) Today Is The Day- Animal Mother
FFO: Experimental Metal, Noise Metal, Sludge Metal

TITD, like every album, is it's own entity from very other album. Oddly enough, some songs are big poppy on this album, while other songs are completely in the Avant Garde. But this album is awesome from start to finish if you want your music very far left from center in the metal world. Support these guys and buy the new album, after what happeneed to them on Black Friday (major van accident from a Black Friday shopper hitting them, exploded their van, lost all their gear, barely escaped alive) they deserve as much help as possible.

99.) Indian- From All Purity
FFO: Doom Metal, Sludge Metal

Indian's last album, Guiltless, is one of the best Metal albums, let alone Doom Metal albums, to ever exist. It would take a lot to topple that colossal album. With From All Purity, they actually went into a much noiser approach. While I still say Guiltless is a better album, From All Purity is easily one of the best Doom Metal albums of the year

98.) Woods Of Desolation- As The Stars
FFO: Atmospheric Black Metal, Lo-Fi, but listenable Metal

Let's face it, the band will never topple their best album, Torn Beyond Reason. As The Stars is probably the closest they will ever get. The album focuses a bit more on the Post Rock side of the band then previously done, which in all honesty, is the best choice they could make. The vocals are still 100% Black Metal screams, but this album is a great blend of the Black metal, Post Rock styles that has become more popular these days. The production is a bit lo-fi, but not distracting. If you dig the genre, you gotta check these guys out immediately!

97.) Bast- Spectres
FFO: If Mastodon wrote Black Metal

The FFO is really the best way I can describe it. It's sludgy, proggy, Black Metal. The songs are a bit long, but never get dull or boring It's a great mix of dynamics. This is another under the radar album that deserves HUGE attention. Maybe this little blurb will help with that fact.

96.) Dynahead- Chordata II
FFO: Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal

This was at the top of my list for a long time in the beginning of this year. It is seriously a mesmerizing album. It always stays heavy, but it hits so many different style and genre changes, all while it all making sense. Their 20 minute epic track, Kode, is one of the best epics of the year. One of the best things about this album is that this album, along with their whole catalog, is available FOR FREE on their website. So just look up Dynahead and check these guys out. It's mind blowing stuff.

95.) Animals As Leaders- The Joy Of Motion
FFO: Progressive Metal, Jazz Metal, 3 guys way too good at their instruments

Animals As Leaders 3rd album is a great combination of their first two albums. The heaviness and catchiness of their debut self titled album, with the variety of Weightless. This album actually also features bass from Nolly of Periphery so the album feels much thicker and fuller (Yeah I know; the drop A, 7 strings are already low; but Bass adds so much needed things to sound). While it's impossible to top songs like CAFO, this album does a phenomenal job of taking the evolution of the band and creating mind blowing instrumental music. If you aren't a big fan of instrumental metal, listen in small doses, it will help you digest this better. Overall, this is the best AAL album to date.

94.) Alcest- Shelter
FFO: Shoegaze, Post Rock, if you ok with Alcest having no metal left in their sound

Even though the very first Alcest full length had no screams and all clean vocals, this is easily the most polarizing album to fans of the band that loved the "Blackgaze" sound. All traces of metal from the band are gone and according to Neige, will not return in future releases. For a fan like me, that bums me out to no end because this was the first band I heard that blended Post Rock and Black Metal. With all of that said, this album is brilliant. Polarizing, but brilliant. The last track, Deliverance is the best Alcest song with no screams. When I heard it live back in 2013 on their tour with Anathema I was in tears at the end of the song because of the power it held. It is a gorgeous album and a perfect album when you need something not Metal yet want something powerful.

93.) Origin- Omnipresent
FFO: Over The Top Technical Death Metal

The first Origin album to feature frontman, Jason Keyser. Jason is the perfect for Origin. The songs are amazing, the songwriting, while extreme, are brilliant. everyone in the band is in top form and the songs are even better live. This is an absolutely must have for tech death fans.

92.) Kissin' Dynamite- Megalomania
FFO: Power Metal, Pop Metal

Kissin' Dynamite is a band that seriously does not take themselves seriously. Elements of Power, Pop, Glam, Hard Rock. The more I listen to them the more I think to myself, this is the band Daniel Gildenlow would make if Pain Of Salvation started in the 80s. It's just a fun record from start to finish.

91.) Devil You Know- The Beauty of Destruction
FFO: Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal

Howard Jones has not left us and has come back, arguably better than ever with his new band, Devil You Know. When the songs get heavy, they are HEAVY, when they get catchy and melodic, they could fit easily on Rock radio, right before descending back into the chaos. To anyone who liked the Howard Jones era of Killswitch, but felt the last couple albums lacked something, all of that flack is made up for with The Beauty Of Destruction.

90.) Prong- Ruining Lives
FFO: Thrash Metal, Groove Metal, Industrial Metal

PRong is so underrated, it's not even funny. Most people who have heard of Prong are not even aware of the fact that they have a predominant Thrash side. Don't get me wrong, the Barriers still have that classic Groove/Industrial Metal vibe, but the Thrash side is perfect as well. Prong is a band that has never let me down on any album, Ruining Lives is just another classic album in the Prong Catalog.

89.) Within Temptation- Hydra
FFO: Female Fronted Symphonic Metal, Hard Rock

This may be my favorite WT album. While it's far from a perfect album with some very noticeable flaws (Yo Dawg, I heard you like cameos, so I rapped a cameo on your album, so I can cameo your album, music video and live shows so i can still get a paycheck), but the rest of it makes up for it. let Us Burn is the strongest WT song in quite a long time. And the other GOOD cameos on this album from the likes of Tarja, Howard Jones and Dave Pirner are awesome. And I will even say that besides Xzibit, And We Run is a great song, although the instrumental version is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better.

88.) Conquering Dystopia- Conquering Dystopia
FFO: All Star Instrumental Metal

Jeff Loomis, Keith Merrow, Alex Webster, Alex Rudinger got together and make an instrumental Progressive Death Metal album. If you wanna like death Metal but hate it because of the growls, this is for you! Everyone on this album shines so bright. So many layers and dynamics make this album absolute perfection. If you like the work of anyone in this band, you are doing yourself a HUGE injustice by not checking out this album.

87.) Raunchy- Vices.Virtues.Visions
FFO: Pop Metal, Groove Metal, Melodic Death Metal

Just my humble opinion, Raunchy is the band that today's Scene bands heard back when Confusion Bay and Death Pop Romance perfectly blend Pop Melodies and sensibility with Melodeath and said "How can we do this but completely shit all over the idea and make it unbearable to listen to?" Raunchy deserves to be a huge band, but at least in the States, they have very minimal if any success. I as a long time supporter love these guys and feel they have put out their best album since Death Pop Romance. The right mix of Pop, Melodeath, Keyboard driven melodies and damn fine catchy tunes. I love these guys, maybe you will too!

86.) Xerath- III
FFO: Hugely Devin Townsend inspired Symphonic Progressive Metal

Take Strapping Young Lad, make them write hooks like SYL and mid-era Opeth, and make a huge symphonic background soundscape and BOOM, you have Xerath. The Hevy Devy worship is almost a little too much (especially the opening song), but the songs are so good that they get away with it. Catchy, heavy, symphonic, Death Metal, it's got it all and much much more. it's Heavy Like A Really Heavy Thing!

85.) Weezer- Everything Will be Alright In the End
FFO: Pop Rock, Power Pop

Weezer is like Post-Youthanasia Megadeth albums and Windows OS, every other one is good. Except the last few albums have been honestly, very bad. Although, I think this album, they have more than redeemed themselves. The single from the album, Back To The Shack Rivers basically admits "HEY!, we screwed up and screwed up a lot. We are doing it right again!" They are back to what made them a killer band. Catchy pop songs that have the great guitar driven overtone. It's about damn time.

84.) Job For A Cowboy- Sun Eater
FFO: Progressive Doom Metal

Do they have a good band name? No. Do they have a Deathcore past? Yes. Are you willing to forget those things and give the band a chance? Probably not. JFAC is a band that I have dug every release, yes, every release and have only gotten better over the year. Sun eater is the first album without longtime drummer Jon Rice (who is now in the band Scorpion Child...yeah you read that right) and they have enlisted Danny Walker as the studio drummer for this album. It is filled with great moments that cite influences from the likes of Gojira and Cynic. They have become phenomenal musicians and all the songs are killer. If you are open minded enough to give the album a chance, I highly recommend it. even if you despised every other album, this is watershed album that is a complete game changer for the band.

83.) Elvenking- The Pagan Manifesto
FFO: Power Metal, Folk Metal

It is about time that Elvenking got back to what made them a great band. Wirte fast catchy power Metal songs, write folkish epic songs and above all, make an album that is awesome from start to finish. ALl the songs feature some great poppy moments as well. While this isn't the best Elvenking album, it is a great return to form and is right up there near the top of the catalog. Thank J.R.R. Tolken for that!

82.) Behemoth- The Satanist
FFO: Death Metal, Black Metal, Satan

Nergal's return album after defeating Cancer, and it's the evilest Behemoth album ever. This was in my top 10 for the longest time this year and yes it has fallen down to number 82, but it is the best Behemoth album! I'm sure many will disagree, but you are the wrong. you can also say that Nergal has become a dick as well (he beat a nearly unbeatable form a cancer, he has the right to be a dick if he wants) This has the right blend of the old school days of Behemoth Black Metal days, their addition of the Death metal days in the latter era of the band, and the darkest lyrics yet. The Satanist deserves all the praise it's been getting this year and will continue to get, just for me, I found 81 albums I enjoy more (but again being 81 out of nearly 1,000 albums I've listened to is damn impressive).

81.) Obituary- Inked In Blood
FFO: Old School Death metal, Groove Metal

One of the first Death Metal bands to make a deep impact is back. While this album has gotten mixed reviews. Even I at first didn't love it. Then one day, it fully clicked with me. It's got a great mix of the classic Obituary sound and the Groove Metal that eventually came into the band more down the road. I think the best Death Metal has some groove to it. It's gotta make you headbang. Inked In Blood does that!

80.) Lvcifyre- Svn Eater
FFO: A more Lo-Fi band like Portal (Blackened Death Metal)

One of the most relentless Metal albums to come out in 2014. This is the neverending soundtrack to Hell (well that or One Direction is). Totally extreme in brutality dark and evil lyrics and excellent musicainship and songwriting. If you can't take a lot of chaos at once, take this in small doses. If you want truly evil music. truly, Truly, TRULY Evil music. Lvcifyre is the band for you.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
THE TOP 100 PHASE II:

79.) Axel Rudi Pell- Into The Storm
FFO: Power Metal, Heavy Metal

For ones who have been listening to Axel over the decades, this album is old hat. For newer fans like me (just discovered him on the last album, Circle Of The Oath), this is a killer album. I have always dug the 80s style Power Metal sound mixed with 80s Hard Rock and that's exactly what this album is. As great as the music is on this album, the real standout on the album is vocalist, Johnny Gioeli. While the album isn't a reinventing the wheel in any way, it is completely solid for any fan of the genre, that's what matters.

78.) Vader- Tibit et Igni
FFO: Death Metal

Vader is such a legendary Death metal band. Much like seminal Thrash band, Slayer, Every one of their albums is quite similar but different enough to tell the difference. This is no exception. It is fast, heavy, thrashy, some Kerry King style solos and completely solid. There is a reason why Vader is nicknamed the Slayer of Death Metal. Dig it!

77.) Wayfarer- Children Of The Iron Age
FFO: Atmospheric Black Metal

Atmospheric Black Metal has really become popular over the last few years, but not really enough to become a truly popular Metal trend. Some take the Post rock approach with it, some take the 'recording the worst quality music possible as a one man band and release it on bandcamp' approach. Wayfarer takes a more folkish and acoustic approach to it. Lots of dynamics. Fans of Falloch, Fen and Agalloch would love Wayfarer, there is no reason not to. This is fantastic music.

76.) Wolf- Devil Seed
FFO: Power Metal, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal

I am very late to the Wold bandwagon, this is my first album from the band and it is a mind blowing experience. While the music itself is in the veins of traditional Power Metal, Speed Metal, Heavy Metal, etc. It is done with such efficiency in a way that makes it feel even better than your standard band of the style. Such clean and perfect production and everyone in the band is at the top of their game. So very, truly, impressive. i must now discover the back catalog.

75.) Evil United- Honored By Fire
FFO: Thrash Metal, Jason McMaster, Horror Themed Metal

Jason McMaster is one of the best damn vocalists in Metal and he gets nearly no credit. it is such a shame. This album is a great example of everything he is capable of doing. Gene Hoglan even penned two songs on this album, which is really cool to see. To hear some awesome Thrash Metal with amazing vocals over the top and you dig horror, check this out now!

74.) Falconer- Black Moon Rising
FFO: Power Metal, Classically trained vocals

Falconer is the kind of Power Metal band where if you dig the style, either these guys are one of your favorite bands, or you couldn't be less impressed. I am of the former. It's very understandable to think the vocals don't match the music considering what bigger, more notable, bands of the genre do. BUt if you dig professionally done clean vocals over very heavy Power Metal, Falconer is a band you gotta check out. sadly Falconer is doing their last show ever at ProgPower USA next year, I am very fortunate to be able to experience them for the first and last time. The band will continue to make music, just not in a live setting. If you are not familiar with the band, this is a great starting off point for the band.

73.) Sabaton- Heroes
FFO: Power Metal, War Themed Metal, Danceable Poppy Metal

Much like Falconer mentioned above, you either love everything about Sabaton, or you despise them. I absolutely love Sabaton and I am very happy to see all the success the band is now getting. Heroes is a great album to come back from after 5/7ths of the band left in 2012. the band is as strong, if not stronger than ever. It's fun, catchy, heavy and feels like a history lesson of war in every song. While not their best album, Heroes is insanely awesome.

72.) Moron Police- Defenders Of The Small Yard
FFO: Comedy Metal, Lots of genre changes, if Zappa was around in 2014 and grew up in Europe

Moron Police put out the best Comedy Metal, Hard Rock album in a super long time. Every song on here is just fun. From the epic sounds of Soul Train Of The Damned to the feel good hit of the summer, T-Bag Your Grandma; these guys hit a lot of genres with it all making sense. Much like taking a Frank Zappa approach to modern Rock and Metal. I can't recommend this album enough!

71.) Affiance- Blackout
FFO: If Mutiny Within only had Power Metal vocals

Once again, the FFO is the best way I can put it. Take the music of Mutiny Within and make it 98% Power Metal high clean vocals (with some backup gang vocals on occasion). I know the band has been around for a while, and honestly, I never paid attention to them until now (mainly because of the bands they've toured with). I was so wrong for doing that. This is insanely awesome music that deserves all the attention it can get.

70.) Ghost Brigade- IV- One With The Storm
FFO: Melodic Death Metal, Doom Metal, Radio friendly clean vocals

Dark evil doomy screams mixed with radio friendly Demon Hunter, Alice In Chains style cleans. It's a great combination. With the band's 4th album. The band continues to showcase the Progressive Metal, Doom Metal and Melodeath sides of the band, ll while keeping a radio friendly sensibility to it. Sure that doesn't fly on American Rock radio, but it could very well fly in European Rock radio. This will probably fly under the radar, but it deserves love.

69.) Folkearth- Balder's Lament
FFO: Folk Metal

THE Folk Metal band! Eluveitie is the most well known but no one can match the epicness of Folk Metal like Folkearth. The right amount of folk over Viking Metal and Death Metal. Black Metal has recently started tracing itself into the mix as well. It is so amazingly well done. If other folk metal bands have let you down in the past, give Folkearth a shot. This is how it was meant to be played.

68.) Skyharbor- Guiding Lights
FFO: All Clean Vocaled Progressive Metal, Djent

The first (but not last appearance) of Dan Tompkins (now, once again, the singer of TesseracT). Based out of India, this band's second album is spellbinding. So well though out and focuses much more on the Prog Metal side of the Djent world (in fact the Meshuggah tone is very minimal). Every song shines and for anyone who would give this a shot, it would be hard to be let down by it. Skyharbor is helping saving the Prog Metal world right now for the new generation.

67.) Deceptic- The Artifact
FFO: Progressive Metal, Modern Metal, Melodic Metal

One of the best unknown bands I've come across in a very long time. The best way I can describe the sound is taking the melodic sensibility of Soilwork, the heavy approach of Textures, the epicness of Devin Townsend, and forming a melodic and breathtaking sound. I truly love this album. Another band that, in time, will help to save the Prog Metal world from itself. This is how you become  Prog Metal band in 2014 and make it sound fresh.

66.) In My Shiver- Delicate Poison
FFO: Depressing Metal, Post Black Metal, Experimental

In My Shiver is a brand new band to many people, but the band started back in 2010. It takes the ideas of the Blacklgaze sound, makes a very depressive sound to it, yet makes it oddly catchy like if Katatonia made Black Metal. Mainly longer songs, but never gets boring. This is some fantastic music with some nice experimentation and odd catchy sensibilities.

65.) Vallenfyre- Splinters
FFO: Doom Metal, Old School Death Metal, Early Day Paradise Lost

The second album from the Death Metal side project of Paradise Lost guitarist, Gregor Mackintosh. If you haven't Dug anything from paradise in roughly the last 20 years, or you just miss the PL Death Metal sound, this more than makes up for it. This combines the classic sounds of Death Metal and Doom Metal in a short and sweet package. So dark and evil and so heavy. This is a Death Metal fan's dream album.

64.) Iced Earth- Plagues Of Babylon
FFO: Power Metal, Thrash Metal

I am as surprised as you to see this album this low on my list (which in reality is super high on the whole list of albums). Stu Block's second album with Iced Earth shows off some of his most impressive work with the band, with the help of Hansi from Blind Guardian doing backup vocals on over half the album. I guess my only reasoning for the album being this low on the list is that there is a lot of slow and midtempo songs on this album with only a few faster songs. None of the songs are bad in anyways, but most Iced Earth diehard fans love the fast songs and need more of that. That said, this is far from the worst IE album by any means. In the upper half without question.

63.) Noble Beast- Noble Beast
FFO: Power Metal

Noble Beast is a killer Minnesota Power Metal band that combines great influences of Power Metal, Black Metal riffing and over the top, Blind Guardian/Manowar style vocals. Slowly but surely this band is making an impact on music. Many of the songs on this album have been in the works for the years so as fan for a long as I've been, it's great to see these songs finally released and with spectacular production as well. Creatively and perfectly articulated songwriting and musicianship. It's got a little bit of everything for a Power Metal fan. Fast and Heavy, Black Metal speeds, Over the top vocals, and odd sense of cheesy goodness. I'm not just backing this because they are a local MN band, they deserve any love they get. Check them out!

62.) KXM- KXM
FFO: Hard Rock, King'x X, George Lynch, Ray Luzier

This is a Hard Rock supergroup featuring Dug Pinnick on bass and vocals, George Lynch on guitar and Ray Luzier on drums. Luzier shows off his amazing drumming skills all while Pinnick shines with his astounding vocals and Lynch's guitar work. This album seems to have been forgotten about to a lot of people, but I am here to remind you of how awesome this album really is/ It's heavy in the right spots, melodic in the right spots and catchy from start to finish. I wish all hard Rock now a days could be this could.

61.) Intervals- A Voice Within
FFO: Progressive Metal, Djent with clean vocals

It does appear to be showing up on my list a lot of bands who are taking the Progressive Metal style of the Djent/Meshuggah riffing, adding some great melody to it, use all clean vocals and creating amazing music. To me it clearly shows that a band of this style could be on Top 40 Rock radio if radio grew a pair. Intervals is a prime example of what could be. As proggy and heavy as it gets, it has that great catchy pop sensibility to it to make those who likes both style find something to enjoy about it.  Superb work!

60.) Persuader- The Fiction Maze
FFO: If Blind Guardian was even heavier

Anyone who loves Power Metal, Fast Metal and Lord Of The Rings loves Blind Guardian right? Well do you want an even heavier Blind Guardian? That is what Persuader does and they do it so well. The vocals are very Hansi inspired. Musically of course Blind Guardian but also shows some love of Nocturnal Rites and some great Thrash Metal influence as well. Looking at my list, this is the third best Power Metal album of the year. How about that folks!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »
The Intervals album is stellar, a top five for me for the year.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »
The Satanist ended up being in my top 5 of the year. Seeing it this low is rather strange, but I'm not the one who listened to 1000+ albums, am I? :lol

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
Yeah, Intervals is awesome, especially live. Although they could really benefit from having a live bassist.

The Satanist is a fantastic album and was in my top 5 for a long time. I just happened to find a lot more albums this year I dig more.

I listen to way too much new music. haha

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
The Top 100 Phase III: The next three phases will be 10 albums each, then one by one when we hit the Top 20

59.) Alestorm- Sunset On The Golden Age
FFO: Pirate Metal, Power Metal, Fun (Not the band, the activity)

Alestorm is back with their 4th voyage on the open seas. This time they have come to drink your beer on their wooden legs and wake up with a hangover. This is probably the most varied, yet consistent album Alestorm has put out. While there is more diversity on this album, it flows together brilliantly. By this point in Alestorm's career, if you have heard of Alestorm by this point of reading this review, you either get Alestorm or you don't. Alestorm is far from a band that you are suppose to take seriously. It's songs about being pirates, drinking alcohol and doing wenches. Of course that doesn't apply to all people, but those can have the fun of it, this is for you.

58.) Nuklear Frost- Subjugation
FFO: Black Metal

Minnesota bound Nuklear Frost have put out my favorite Local album of 2014 (unless you count one up that will appear later down the road). This doesn't sound like a local album by any means. Clear production, amazing songwriting and musicianship and just the right length to leave you wanting more. I know I've gotten a few people into this band already, I hope I get more, this is one of the most brilliant Black Metal albums of the year!

57.) At The Gates- At War With Reality
FFO: Melodic Death Metal, Swedish Death Metal

Before I even start with the quick review of this. When a band like this breaks up then nearly 2 decades later puts out a new album and it has a similar sound to their old material, how can that be considered disappointing?  I know that this album is getting huge praise as well, but I see more than enough people crapping all over this album because it has a similar sound to their best album, Slaughter Of The Soul. I fail to see how that is a bad thing at all. That's like ragging on Slayer or AC/DC for not changing their sound, what's the point? All that should matter is if an album is solid, At War With Reality is solid, that's all that matters.

Now if you wanna hear me stop complaining, At The Gates is one of the forefathers of Melodic Death metal as we know it, and they put out a killer album this year, go check it out!

56.) Narcotic Wasteland- Narcotic Wasteland
FFO: If you like Nile, but you don't want Nile to always be Tech Death

Dallas from Nile put out his debut album with his side project, Narcotic Wasteland. All the songs are about substance addiction (what an album to hear after I got clean from hospital induced dilaudid addiction eh?). THe songs do somewhat have a Nile influence, obviously, but the songs are much more Groove orientated. There is still plenty of techy moments, but there is such much more headbanging and groove moments that, to my ears, is a lot more enjoyable to listen to. While the production isn't up to Nile quality, everything is still clear as day and gives it a nice raw feeling that really matches the mood of the album. This album hits home for me more than any other album in 2014, you guys can dig it too!

55.) Words Of Farewell- The Black Wild Yonder
FFO: Progressive Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal

I discovered these guys from their last album and I've been hooked ever since. The Black Wild Yonder is a fantastic album of melodically driven, Progressive Death Metal. It's never ventures too far into the Prog territory or the Death Metal territory, just it's on entity that perfectly blends the two together. The vocals are completely stellar. Another under the radar album here, give it some much deserved love.

54.) Saor- Aura
FFO: Celtic Folk Metal, Black Metal

With only 4 songs on the album and not the most variation of an album put out this year, Saor (after a much needed name change) have put out their first album of their new moniker, Aura. This is a majestic, beautiful Celtic Folk Metal album. It combines the love of Celtic Folk and Atmospheric Black Metal perfectly. The Celtic influences hit at all the right time that can grab your heart and not let go. Absolutely fabulous music.

53.) Pallbearer- Foundations Of Burden
FFO: Doom Metal

The biggest Doom Metal band of the new generation? I don't think that is much of a stretch. Much like their friends of the Atmospheric Black Metal realm, Deafheaven, Pallbearer has been receiving a lot of praise and love for the last year and with their second album, Foundations Of Burden, they've earned it. The Ghost I Used To Be is arguably one of, if not the best doom Metal song of 2014. With all clean vocals and a great love of Doom from yesteryear and today, Pallbearer does it right and I wish them nothing but the absolute best. Although I think it should be addressed that they need to have their vocals turned up live, every time I've seen Pallbearer, it sounds like an instrumental show.

52.) Mastodon- Once More 'Round The Sun
FFO: Progressive Metal, Sludge Metal, the later years of Mastodon

I love every single Mastodon album and find something to love about each one. Whatever your favorite mastodon album is, you are not wrong. Whatever your least favorite Mastodon album is, you are not wrong. That said, not many people agree with me and felt that Mastodon has been a polarizing band since Crack The Skye. The Hunter didn't help that fact at all. Once More 'Round The Sun, Jesus! I just think it is easier to say that if you don't like the last couple Mastodon albums, it is a far assumption that you won't like this either. While some songs do harken back to their older styles, they are still continuing more in the style of The Hunter where none of the songs are connected to Elements and are just their own wacky songs. If you look at the album that way, you may dig it more, unless you love the new era of Mastodon, then you'll love it!

51.) Voyager- V
FFO: If Dredg made Progressive Metal

The only reason, and I stress, the ONLY reason this album is not in my top 10 albums is simply because i didn't truly start appreciating this album until recently. This is such a phenomenal band and I get to see them TWICE next year at ProgPower (playing two different albums in their entirety). Simply put it takes the Dredg style vocal melodies over Progressive Metal and makes everything sound spectacular. I can't believe it took me 5 albums from Voyager for me to discover them and love them to death. If you think you might dig it, you really will.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2014, 01:27:42 AM »
THE TOP 50, PHASE I:

50.) Trees On Mars- The Sapling
FFO: Instrumental Metal, Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal

This is my favorite instrumental album of 2014, and that really says a lot considering how many amazing instrumental albums came out this year. This has the right level of dynamics and flow to make it interesting from start to finish, While some albums show off a bands great technical abilities, some albums just like to show off dynamics and atmosphere, Trees On Mars does both. In the simplest terms, think Scale The Summit meets Pink Floyd. Although there is much more to it than that, I think that's a pretty good description. Check out the band's Bandcamp and get the album. This is how instrumental music should flow.

49.) Gridlink- Longhena
FFO: Listenable Grindcore for non Grindcore fans

One of the biggest mistakes I have made while listening to more Extreme music is not checking these guys out sooner, and now it is too late as this is the band's swansong album. While the music is 100% pure Grindcore, it is actually tangible and not pure noise. There are melodies, harmonies, amazing progressive playing. It's almost like listening to a Progressive Metal album at hyper speed. Grinklink is an amazing band if you are willing to give them a chance. I know with Grindcore that is really hard to pull off, but put it this way if you can't in any other way, name the last grindcore album that has ever been in my Best Of List this high? Exactly!

48.) Casualties Of Cool- Casualties Of Cool
FFO: Blues Rock, Country Rock, Acoustic Rock, Ambient

This was the first of two (or three, depending on how you look at Z2) released by Devin Townsend this year. It is a beautiful, laid back album that also features Ché Aimee Dorval (Best known in the Hevy Devy world as the female singer of the album, Ki). Anyone expecting anything similar to music of Strapping Young Lad or The Devin Townsend Band will be disappointed. This is similar, yet very different from the albums Ki and Ghost of the Devin Townsend Project moniker. Some songs are more bluesy, while some songs are a bit more country. All of them are very mellow and amazing relaxation music with a very cool concept behind the album. (not going to give away details, but if you look things up, mind = blown). Call me a fanboy all you want (I'm sure you will in the next few days if not already) but Devin can do no wrong to me because he literally does the one thing I want out of a musician, make the music he wants to make. As much of a fanboy as I am, I'm not a blind one. If he makes an album that I don't care for, I will not enjoy it as much and probably not listen as much. But I'll save that rant for another time. Just go check this out if you want some mellow music to grab your heart and soul. If you are reading this when I first post it, it's the perfect music for this time of night.

47.) Equlimbirum- Erdentempel
FFO: Folk Metal,l Symphonic Metal, Black Metal

This is another band that I can't believe I didn't dig deeper into until I got the promo earlier this year. I knew of them and never researched them, sill me. Equilibrium is the kind of band that combines the right kind of elements from every genre they cover. it has the epic symphonic sound in the background, nice folky moments, dark heavy black Metal, Death Metal vocals. The song Frieflug, in particular is the exact kind of song I would write if I was capable of writing more than just drums. They are the kind of ideas I always have flowing in my head, especially the opening guitar riff. Very Majestic and epic sounding Metal. If you want your Folk metal or Amon Amarth to feel like a soundtrack score, check out this album!

46.) Demon Hunter- Extremist
FFO: Christian Metal, Hard Rock

I love Demon Hunter, always have and until they make a bad album, always will. Extremist is a bit of a return to the more melodic, almost hard rock sound, yet the heavy songs are just as heavy as anything the band has released in the past. For the first time, the band actually caught some mainstream attention with the song The Last One Alive (which I played a few weeks before it got attention, but I am still small time so I'm sure that it had zero affect on it being a top 40 single. But I digress). It's just a solid Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, and yeah, Christian album. Make of that as you will, hopefully you at least try it.

45.) Opeth- Pale Communion
FFO: Progressive Metal, 70s Hard Rock

This is the lowest an Opeth album has ever been on my Best Of list, ever. Heritage was even in my top 20 when it came out. That said, this album is sheer, unadulterated brilliance. I love every song from start to finish. If that's the case, why is it so low? Simply because I found 44 other albums I dig more. I guess like a lot of people, Heritage got me out of my Opeth fanboy-ism. Opeth again, like Devin Townsend is making music they wanna make. I don't want them to rehash Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries if their heart isn't into it. If you forget the back catalog and look at Pale Communion as the first album from a band (like I try to do with any album I hear from any band), it is phenomenal for any Prog fan. If you avoided this album because of the lack of growls and you hated Heritage, Pale Communion is MUCH heavier, catchier and not as off the wall wacky as Heritage is. It is a Progressive Metal album with some 70s Hard Rock love in it. That makes me a happy guy.

44.) Cormorant- Earth Diver
FFO: Progressive Black Metal

How these guys have yet to reach the level of bands like Enslaved and Ne Obliviscaris yet is just mindblowing to me. Cormorant is arguably one of, if not, the best Progressive Black Metal band in the U S of A. (One can make the argument of Agalloch, but they are much more Folk Metal, but I'm not getting into that debate now). The band's third album is their best work to date with amazing songs and songwriting. It's just a perfect blend of Black Metal with the right amount of Prog to make it interesting but unlistenable to non-prog fans. The production is a bit raw, but all listenable and matches the mood of the album. There is some sheer brilliance in this album, make sure to check it out.

43.) Primordial- Where Greater Men Have Fallen
FFO: Celtic Metal, Folk Metal, Black Metal

With the bands last album, Redemption At The Puritan's Hands, I referred to Primordial as "If Blind Guardian made Viking Black Metal". I still don't think I am wrong with that statement. Primordial, while not putting out their best album, have released one of the most solid albums of the year. The songs overall, are much more of a midtempo pace (of course there are some faster songs and some Black Metal moments throughout). The music just brings you back to the time of warfare in Ireland generations upon generations ago. It's a brilliant album and I can't wait to check them out at Maryland Deathfest this May.

42.) Eluveitie- Origins
FFO: Folk Metal

When you think of Folk Metal, 9 times out of 10, you are thinking of Eluveitie, whether you know it or not. Without question the biggest Folk Metal band on Earth that actually uses real Folk instruments on stage. Origins is actually the first album in quite a long time that is not a straight concept album, but rather different folk stories told throughout the album. Again, it's not the best Eluveitie album (They are just never going to top Slania) This is, without question, a very solid album that showcases everything the band is about. The folk melodies the right usage of the male and female vocals. They did hit it out of the park once again.

41.) Ancient VVisdom- Sacrificial
FFO: If Alice In Chains took the Jar Of Flies sound and wrote about Satan

While the band's third album in question doesn't as much fit the FFO above as the preceding albums, it still does fit. The band is known for having an acoustic, ethereal sound over Occult Rock while having that Jar Of Flies. On Sacrificial, especially drumming wise, the band took a step in a different direction. On the first two album, the drumming is much more of a Western Film Score approach, while o0n Sacrificial, the drums are played as a standard drumset. IT gives the album, while the rest of the band carries on like they normally do, a much more of a Doom Rock, Doom Metal vibe. The songs could have still worked with the old style, but now the style of the band feels less like a novelty and more like a full on Rock/Metal band. Once again, if you dig Alice In Chains and don't mind Satanic lyrical content, check these guys out (and I highly advise checking out the first album, A Godlike Inferno. Pure brilliance).

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »
PHASE II: 40-31

40.) I.N.C.- Black Hearse Serenade
FFO: Thrash Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Hard Rock

Indestructible Noise Command Has been an amazing band for a few decades now. But only after coming back to being a band within the last few years, the band is back with their second album since their return, Black Hearse Serenade. There's many different descriptions you can give this band one of my favorites is if Exodus played Progressive Power Metal, Just for the sake of not wanting to make too long of a description, let's just stick with that for now. This album hits many different territories musically and it is the type of album where you can listen front to back without losing any interest. For a band of this level, the production is awesome, the songwriting is incredible and the musicianship is top notch. I'm really hoping with 2015 more people will find out what I.N.C. is all about, they are too good to go unnoticed.

39.) Spires- The Whisperer
FFO: If you miss Opeth's Progressive Death Metal side from My Arms Your Hearse-Ghost Reveries

The band's sophomore album is nothing to be messed with. THis band is just on the verge of making a huge name for itself and if you need any proof, just check out both albums from the band. Spires, with The Whisperer, keeps up the momentum they've had with their debut and fluctuates it even more. The production is stellar; which makes the dynamics of the more progressive mellow side stand out in contrast to the dark, evil, Death Metal side. While the vocals are not similar to Mikael Akerfeldt, the spirit is well within the band. There is also a bit more variety to these guys adding in different flavors in their mixture. If you are an Opeth fan and haven't discovered the power that is Spires, you are missing out in a huge way, don't let this happen, check out Spires.

38.) Agalloch- The Serpent And The Sphere
FFO: Folk Metal, Black Metal, Post Rock

As far as the Agalloch catalog goes, a lot of diehard fans will rank this in the bottom half. IF that really is the case, than Agalloch is a band that is incapable of doing a bad album. I was late to the Agalloch party and had only discovered the band through their last album Marrow Of The Spirit (which was my number one album of 2010.) The album is created much like a Quentin Taratino movie where the scenes are shot out of sequence. TO me, this may be part of why some people don't like it as much because it feels out of sequence. To describe it musically, it feels much like a continuation of Marrow Of The Spirit but with shorter songs and a different lyrical vibe.The songs are amazing on the album and sound even better in a live setting. Agalloch is seriously one of the best bands out there and this is worth checking into. In fact, check out everything Agalloch has done up to this point.

37.) Cannibal Corpse- A Skeletal Domain
FFO: Death Metal

As far as pure Death Metal that doesn't deviate from the norm, this is my favorite Death Metal album of the year. There are plenty of people who feel that Cannibal Corpse has become stagnant since The Wretched Spawn, I do not agree with this. Kill is the best Cannibal Corpse album, it just is. A Skeletal Domain sounds like a revival of Cannibal Corpse of sorts. It feels like there is new life in the band. In no way is that better shown than the now classic song from CC, Kill Or Become, the ultimate song about surviving a zombie apocalypse. Arguably the best chorus Cannibal Corpse has ever written. Just remember this, Cannibal Corpse doesn't go into strange Avant Garde territories (Alex Webster does that in his free time), they just write brutal Death Metal and that's exactly what A Skeletal domain is, except it is the best classic Death Metal album of 2014.

36.) Skull Fist- Chasing The Dream
FFO: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal

I love that there is a band of this caliber with guys that are in my generation. taking the love the late 70s early 80s invention of speeding up Rock and Metal songs, making them catchy as hell. This is Classic Metal in it's purest form. Soaring vocals, pure aggression and a love of the denim vests. If you miss Classic Metal in 2014 and wish \bands were still doing this, you are not aware of Skull Fist and you must listen now (and go see them on tour next month)!

35.) Cynic- Kindly Bent To Free Us
FFO: Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal, Hard Rock, Ambient

There is no other way to say it, this album is a watershed moment for Cynic. Abandoning the ideals that first started in the band to go more in a more Progressive Rock and Hard Rock direction. While there is still some heavy moments on the album, they are minimal in comparison. Some find this to be in a better direction, many have left the band in the dust. I just enjoy what I hear. Not nearly as much as I do Traced In Air, but that's one of my favorite albums of all time. This is a new era for cynic, for better or for worse. I happen to think it's brilliant. Holy Fallout is arguably one of the best songs they have ever written. Like many times I've mentioned, I am all for a band writing the music they want to make, now that Paul and Sean are free (musically and in their personal lives0, let them explore all territories they wanna go. I'll be there until they write a bad album.

34.) Novembers Doom- Bled White
FFO: Doom Metal, Death Metal

Paul Kuhr can seriously do no wrong. I love every single album he has released from Novembers Doom to These are They to Subterranean Masquarade (The new album got pushed back to January 2015, which is good for me because I know it will be one of my favorite albums of the year). As for Novembers Doom, Bled white is a great showcase as to where the band is right now. It shows off the Brutal Death Metal side, along with the very haunting, mellow and acoustic passages. There are a few moments of Alice In Chains as well. This is a perfect description of how I love my Death Metal...versatile. I'll never forget seeing Novembers Doom at Minnesota Metalfest 2009, now if only people would start supporting the band more so everyone can have the same opportunity I did to see these guys live!

33.) Beyond Creation- Earthborn Evolution
FFO: Technical Death Metal, Obscura meets Cynic

I will be in utter amazement if these guys do not become one of the leading names in Death Metal within the next few years. Taking the mind blowing musical ability of Obscura and adding the atmospheric, progressive ideals of Cynic along with it. Beyond Creation does Tech Death right by not just making about what they can play with their fingers, but instead creating technical music that any Death Metal fan can enjoy. I can't wait to see what these guys can do down the road. If they are already capable of this with their second album, it will only get bigger and better from here.

32.) Revocation- Deathless
FFO: Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Progressive Metal

When I discovered Revocation with Chaos Of Forms, I was enthralled. The self titled album left a lot of people unfulfilled and marked a huge change in the band where the random genre changes mid song were gone. With deathless I was pretty sure they were going to keep going in the same direction. While the random genre changes are still not present, the better quality songs are back. As if they needed to make their self titled album and get it out of the way to focus on better songs. One song in particular, Witch Trails, is possibly my favorite Revocation to date. There is a lot of intensity and captivating songwriting that makes this an incredible album. It is fantastic from start to finish.

31.) Vanishing Point- Distant Is The Sun
FFO:  Power Metal, Progressive Metal

I just happened to stumble upon this band when I got the promo this year. This again, is another instance where I don't know why I never checked these guys out before. Although with a different vocal style, this reminds me so much of an Australian Pagan's Mind. That's all I need to sucker me in. Fast and heavy as needed, so melodic and powerful, and of course catchy and enjoyable. Vanishing Point covers all the territories needed for Progressive Power Metal fans and they made a new fan of me.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »
30.) Insomnium- Shadows Of The Dying Sun
FFO: Super Melodic Death Metal

Insomnium is one of the best Melodeath bands that gets so very little recognition. Their use of Melody in Death Metal pulls at the soul of anyone listening and makes the songs produced so much better. No better album in the Insomnium catalog and truly showcase this fact than Shadows Of The Dying Sun. The song Black Heart Rebellion is arguably the best example of this. The right amount of growls and cleans are on this album and the whole album experience is top notch. Anyone who likes Melodeath and isn't an Insomnium fan is seriously missing out.

29.) Boris- Noise
FFO: Experimental

The legendary masters of Experimental music, Boris is back with one of my favorite albums in the Boris catalog, Noise. The album is filled with Doom Metal, Post Rock, J-Pop, and Crust Punk. Like every Boris album it's a complete mind screw, but I love every second of it. There is nothing quite like hearing the song Quicksilver in a live setting. It may be my favorite Boris song since Just Abandoned Myself. If you need something experimental, but listenable, listen to this now!

28.) Killer Be Killed- Killer Be Killed
FFO: Pop Layered Modern Metal Supergroups

Take influential members of The Dillinger Escape Plan, Sepultura, Mastodon, and The Mars Volta and what do you get? You get an album that is almost radio friendly on top 40 Rock Radio. Of course this will never be on Top 40 Rock radio simply because of Max Cavalera's vocals (and mainstream rock radio are wusses who are afraid of trying anything new). While many look at this album as a gigantic screw you, because it's not a Progressive, Sludgy, Technical Thrash Metal album. In a way it kinda is, because all of their influences are shown off on this album, just not as much as die hard fans of the band want. I on the other hand love all 4 bands and think this album is sheer brilliance. It would make no sense creatively to go and make an album that sounds like all of their main priority bands and I'm glad they didn't. They made music they wanted to make, and it works.

27.) Piano- Salvage Architecture
FFO: Dan Tompkins, Progressive Metal, Post Rock

My other appearance of Dan Tompkins in my top 100. This is my first experience with this band and I'm completely floored. Take the atmosphere of TesseracT with the power of Skyharbor and you have Piano. IF you are a fan of anything related to Dan Tompkins, you will love this album to death. It is the absolute perfect mixture of Post Rock and today's Prog Metal, no screams or growls, just his awesome cleans. This album will be so far under the radar, but it needs love, it truly truly does.

26.) Crib45- Marching Through The Borderlines
FFO: Doom Metal, Post Metal, Alternative Metal

If it wasn't for an album that hits the top 20, this would be my doom Metal album of the year. And if you don't want to call it Doom Metal, this is without question my Post Metal album of the year. Never before have I heard this kind of combination of genres so perfectly done. The semi-title track, Borderlines, is the prime example of this. So many dynamics are used in perfect harmony and melody, a sexy sounding saxophone is also layered into the track for a nice jazzy, touch. The instruments sound stellar, the vocals are perfect for this band, the songs, while almost all on the long side, are the right lengths they need to be to make this perfection. I can't recommend this album enough if you want Sludgy, Doomy, Post Metal, with an Alternative touch.

25.) While Heaven Wept- Suspended At Aphelion
FFO: Progressive Metal, Power Metal, Doom Metal

Another example of a band who does not get anywhere near the attention they deserve. Epically symphonic with amazing vocals. Well thought out instrumentation. Suspended at Aphelion is a a concept album and it amazingly well done. While much like Wintersun did with Time I, there is only a couple REAL songs on this album, but the songs are just spellbinding. Another band I never thought I was going to be able to see, I am seeing at ProgPower next year. As long as I've been a fan I've been waiting for this moment. It couldn't be more worth it.

24.) Kyng- Burn The Serum
FFO: Listenable Hard Rock, Stoner Rock

3 of the greatest guys I know have released their sophomore album this year. While the band gets soooooooo much crap for the amount of touring they do (I'll never understand the hatred), the band shows that a band who tours as much as these guys do can still write an amazing album on the road. Al the songs are stellar and fit perfectly on the harder side of Top 40 Radio. The brightest star on this album is the drumming of drummer Pepe Clarke. He makes the music so much heavier and creative. If you want harder Harder Rock, yet catchy and enjoyable, Kyng really is the band for you.

23.) Lantlos- Melting Sun
FFO: Post Rock, Alternative Metal, Blackgaze (with clean vocals instead of Black Metal screams)

Lantlos is pretty much, by definition what I wish Alcest would have became instead of going more Indie Rock. Keep in mind, I still love Alcest to death, but it's a far cry from where they were. Lantlos, much like Alcest, started off in the Black Metal route but instead of getting lighter in the sense of using just Atmosphere and indie type sounds; Lantlos went lighter but more in the Post Rock, Post Metal, and Alternative Metal styles. There is no traces of the Black Metal screams, but still has a bit of the Blackgaze sound. The entire album is one song separated into different tracks, but the best track is Melting Sun IV: Jade Fields. The perfect example of how far Lantlos has come over the years. Simply put, if you want what Alcest should have become, check out Lantlos.

22.) Evergrey- Hymns For The Broken
FFO: Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Dark Metal

While there is yet to be an Evergrey album that I don't love, Tom Englund and Co. had a 2 album lull with Monday Morning Apocalypse and Torn. Glorious Collision was a return to form for the band, but still not as perfect is it could have been. Hymns For The Broken on the other hand...WOW! The early day sound of the band is back, along with keeping the catchier side of the latter years of the band still in tact. a great combination. Englund's legendary vocals are just as somber as ever, and that's what makes everything so perfect. Evergrey is the definition of a band who does not credit or love (as evident by seeing them in Minnesota a few years back with about 15 other people in the audience paying attention). I will forever love Evergrey and for the rest of their musical days I hope they can put out albums of this quality.

21.) Winterfylleth- The Divination Of Antiquity
FFO: Black Metal, Atmospheric Black Metal

Winterfylleth is without a doubt one of the biggest reasons why Atmospheric Black Metal exists. While the band is more focused on Black Metal, the band has enough atmosphere, melody and harmony in their sound to inspire a new generation of bands to come after them. Every album they make is better than the next and this absolutely no exception. This is also exactly what I am looking for when it comes to Black Metal. Excellent production and songwriting, cascades of soundscapes atop the somber Black Metal being played. It hauntingly beautiful. This is how it's done, folks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »
OMG a Dan Tompkins project I was not aware of. Must check out immediately. Also Killer Be Killed is amazing, probably my favorite record from 2014.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »
I'll check that Insomnium album, seems interesting.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
I feel like The Serpent & the Sphere is a step down from Marrow of the Spirit, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a definite grower for me though, since I wasn't really wowed by it first.

And yes, Agalloch are incapable of doing a bad album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
I think I may know a couple of albums that will appear in your top 20 :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
My top 20 is actually still being worked on. I have all 20 albums that will be on the list, but the order, that's a different story. I will have the order done tonight sometime. I will also make everyone mad by posting each album one at a time.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »
Are you guys desperate to know what my Top 20 Albums of 2014 are? Well you are going to have to wait until Monday night to find that out on That Drummer Guy Presents....or are you?

I am actually going to be doing my monthly guest spot on KFAI's The Root Of All Evil Show tonight from 1-6am, where I will be showing off my top 20 albums in countdown order. Otherwise you kids will have to wait for my reviews or the radio show?

IF you can't wait, tune in tonight from 1-6am central on KFAI. That's 90.3 Minneapolis, 106.7 St. Paul or online at kfai.org

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2014, 11:34:34 PM »
The Top 20 starts soon...

And the posts will be one album at a time just to piss you off.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2014, 12:45:31 AM »
THE TOP 20 ALBUMS OF 2014!!!

20.) Goatwhore- Constricting Rage Of The Merciless
FFO: Blackened Death Metal, Crust Punk

Goatwhore is one of the most consistent bands in Metal, in that every album is CONSISTENTLY better than the next. Goatwhore isn't really known as a band that has much variation, but the music they play gets tighter and tighter on every album. In this point in time of Goatwhore, the band added the Crust Punk sound to the mix making things a bit more upbeat in parts that don't just call for blast beats. It's fast, thrashy, and filled with the band's sense of Blackened Death Metal that other bands have tried to replicate but never duplicate. Always putting out an incredible album and always an even better live show, Goatwhore knocked it out of the park with the latest album.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2014, 01:01:52 AM »
19.) Distorted Harmony- Chain Reaction
FFO: Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock, all clean vocals

Distorted Harmony is the other great Progressive Metal band to come from Israel (The other being, obviously, Orphaned Land). Distorted Harmony instead of taking the Hebrew influences like Orphaned Land does, but instead just takes on the ideas of writing ridiculously great Progressive Metal. One assessment I have read about the band is if Periphery didn't used the Meshuggah "Djent" tone. While there is so much more that can be added to that statement, it's a pretty good description. The band does use drop tuning in the guitars but it is in no way in the Djent style. The vocals are amazing and absolutely fit the style. The musicianship is uncompromising and perfect. There is not one song on this album that feels similar to another. It showcases a broad span of influences and done in a way that is catchy and heavy, while being technical and mind blowing to hear. I really hope these guys get signed soon, if there is a band out there that deserves a loving label backing them, it is Distorted Harmony.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2014, 01:13:45 AM »
18.) Sanctuary- The Year The Sun Died
FFO: Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Nevermore

Originally an album that was suppose to come out in 2013, Sanctuary's return album The Year The Sun Died is an album that was much needed in this world at this time. TO be absolutely fair, the latest Sanctuary album sound so much more like Nevermore (without the solos of Jeff Loomis) more than it does Refuge Denied or Into The Year Black, it is amazing music. The spirit of Sanctuary is alive and well in the band, There is the influences of Power Metal and Thrash Metal that Sanctuary helped define in the USA while adding the tone of Dropped Tuned guitars. Warrel Dane, while doesn't hit as many falsetto vocals on this album, he can still hit the high notes proudly. Overall it is just a consistently solid album and anyone who makes a "comeback" album, that is always the greatest fear that the band will not be able to recapture what made the band awesome. Sanctuary not only nailed it shut, they made one of the best albums of Warrel Dane's career. I believe that I am not the only one that feels that Sanctuary needs to do a full scale world tour in 2015. Hop to it guys!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2014, 01:26:08 AM »
17.) Bend Sinister- Animals
FFO: 70's Hard Rock, Indie Rock, Progressive Rock

Bend Sinister may be the finest band going right now that does not have an emphasis on heavy. While some of their riffs are heavy and fast, their strong point is the songwriting, IF the song comes out sounding more Indie Rock,so be it. if the song sounds like Deep Purple, so be it. The album is filled with 10 absolutely solid songs. I'm not even remotely a fan of Indie Rock, but when Bend Sinister does it, it is so captivating and perfect. Same goes with their Classic Rock sound. The first track on the album, Best Of You, is without question the best song the band has ever written. No other band could make an almost 9 minute long epic that takes influences of Deep Purple, Queen and Muse in the first half of the song and build such an amazing roller coaster of emotions in the second half with only 2 sentences lines "When the world, it brings you down. Keep Your head up high and your feet on the ground." It's a tear jerking song and keep in mind, this is just the first song on the album. Check this album out for the love of Classic Hard Rock, The modern sound of Indie Rock and whether the band will admit it or not, their great sense of prog.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2014, 01:42:15 AM »
16.) Wings Denied- Mirrors For A Prince
FFO: Progressive Metal with clean vocals

Take the instrumentation of Periphery, the vocal linings of Fair To Midland, the prog sense of Porcupine Tree and the atmosphere of Post Rock and you have Wings Denied in a minimally defined nutshell. Wings Denied is, without a shadow of a doubt the best brand new band of 2014. Everything abut this band says that they are capable of saving growl/scream-less Progressive Metal and not be a complete Tool knockoff. Whether it is their uber catchy single Generation Y or their 11 and a half minute epic, Six Years And A Day these guys have done it right. I don't think it is unrealistic to say that this album is a modern day Images And Words (just minus the soon to be world wide prog recognition). Be on the lookout for these guys, they are about be the future leaders of the Prog world in the next couple years, mark my words!