Author Topic: Show your love for JP in another useless poll!  (Read 6802 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Show your love for JP in another useless poll!
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ug_news/ug_showdown_round_1_brian_may_vs_john_petrucci.html

Ultimate-Guitar has a showdown where we can vote for our favourite guitarists, tournament style. This round it's Brian May against John Petrucci.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Show your love for JP in another useless poll!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:26:21 AM »
Sorry nope

Can't vote. Aside from the fact that one is a childhood hero and the other is on another planet...........its a stupid comparison! It's like arguing who's better - Steve Vai or Eric Clapton!

I are frustrate. :tdwn
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
I made the SV and EC comparison before I'd had a look at al lthe other matches in the poll

:facepalm:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
Voted Petrucci but it kind of breaks my heart as both are among my absolute favourite guitarists.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
Sorry nope

Can't vote. Aside from the fact that one is a childhood hero and the other is on another planet...........its a stupid comparison!

Can't vote either. Brian May is just too good to not get a vote, but so is JP.
Brian can also do the most unreal backing vocals.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:39 AM »
In my opinion, the sooner we start boycotting this type of bullshit, the better. The first time we did it (when DT beat Metallica in the finals) was kinda neat for exposure and showing off how big this community is (not to mention we even got a thank you video), but it's insulting to give so many clicks (and revenue) to these lame sites. This sheep was skinned way too many times.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
Buckethead beating Ritchie Blackmore...  :facepalm:

The world just went full retard.

Blackmore - Gilmour - May: The Holy Trinity.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:14:19 PM by JediKnight1969 »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
In my opinion, the sooner we start boycotting this type of bullshit, the better. The first time we did it (when DT beat Metallica in the finals) was kinda neat for exposure and showing off how big this community is (not to mention we even got a thank you video), but it's insulting to give so many clicks (and revenue) to these lame sites. This sheep was skinned way too many times.

I already do that on a regular basis to these sites, so I might as well chip in and vote.  I'll vote for JP anyway.  Won't argue if Brian May wins though.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:37:17 AM »
Brian May has some major chops, and there are aspects of JP's playing that were inspired by May's style, for sure. It is almost unfortunate how keyboard and piano oriented a lot of Queen's music was, because it really does make people forget just how great of a guitar player Brian May is. That being said, JP is a god, and can play anything Brian May ever wrote, and then some. In terms of proficiency, JP has it, easily.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
It is almost unfortunate how keyboard and piano oriented a lot of Queen's music was, because it really does make people forget just how great of a guitar player Brian May is.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 10:59:54 AM »
It is almost unfortunate how keyboard and piano oriented a lot of Queen's music was, because it really does make people forget just how great of a guitar player Brian May is.

Whenever the conversation of great rock guitarists comes up, I never, ever see/hear Brian May's name come up, until I mention it. And when I do, oftentimes people are like, "Really?" and I'm like, "Think about it. He can really play, and has some great guitar parts in Queen songs," at which point people do think about it and go, "Oh yeah, you're right."
At least that's my experience.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Maybe it's because I'm an old fogie, but in my circle of friends, the people who care about this type of music will very quickly talk about Brian May.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Brian invented the layering of guitars in the recording studio.  Nobody did "that" many overdubs.  It sounded regal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
Maybe it's because I'm an old fogie, but in my circle of friends, the people who care about this type of music will very quickly talk about Brian May.

Lucky you. Most of my friends are more into the heavier stuff though, so Queen doesn't get mentioned too much unfortunately.

Brian invented the layering of guitars in the recording studio.  Nobody did "that" many overdubs.  It sounded regal.

For a second I read, "It sounded illegal."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
I literally just came on to the forums to post this bracket.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »

I know Buckethead kinda has a silly rep for being gimmicky and appealing to the guitar hero kids, but it's a bit unfair to be condescending like that just because those guitarists you mentioned have a more influential history. I mean really, as we all know all of these polls are silly as it's unfair to even compare these guitarists because they've got completely different styles, still both undeniably skilled. Although that's the case with comparing most of the considered 'legendary' guitarists of music, they're different. It pretty much turns into a popularity contest, and who's name is more regognisable.

Anyway, regarding the JP poll, I'm surprised how close it is atm, JP on 49% right now.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:16:28 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »

For a second I read, "It sounded illegal."

That too.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 05:33:33 AM »

I know Buckethead kinda has a silly rep for being gimmicky and appealing to the guitar hero kids, but it's a bit unfair to be condescending like that just because those guitarists you mentioned have a more influential history. I mean really, as we all know all of these polls are silly as it's unfair to even compare these guitarists because they've got completely different styles, still both undeniably skilled. Although that's the case with comparing most of the considered 'legendary' guitarists of music, they're different. It pretty much turns into a popularity contest, and who's name is more regognisable.

Anyway, regarding the JP poll, I'm surprised how close it is atm, JP on 49% right now.

Yeah, I know, but... C'mon!
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
FFS!! :censored

JP and May don't play the same style of music anyway!! :justjen :tdwn :yeahright
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
Well, they kinda do just in different positions.

Like they play the same sport but in different positions. Still, I do agree the comparison is pretty dumb.

I can't vote for JP as Brian May is a hero and a living legend. I can't vote for Brian May though as much as I love Queen, I just can't say that Brian May is better.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »

Well, he didn't invent it but he sure took it to another level. Overdubbing was around before Queen was.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
I can't vote for JP as Brian May is a hero and a living legend. I can't vote for Brian May though as much as I love Queen, I just can't say that Brian May is better.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

Well, he didn't invent it but he sure took it to another level. Overdubbing was around before Queen was.

But what Brian did with it was a whole new ballgame. Referring to Brian's work as "overdubbing" is like referring to space flight as "throwing things upwards".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »
Poll is closed, and I have to say, Brian rightfully won. While JP is an excellent guitar player and all, he just doesn't have the lasting impact or influence that Brian had.
And in fact, that judgment actually extend to all DT members I think. They are all masters of their instruments, but in terms of a long-term view of of the "craft" of their instrument, none of them made a lasting mark.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »
Poll is closed, and I have to say, Brian rightfully won. While JP is an excellent guitar player and all, he just doesn't have the lasting impact or influence that Brian had.
And in fact, that judgment actually extend to all DT members I think. They are all masters of their instruments, but in terms of a long-term view of of the "craft" of their instrument, none of them made a lasting mark.

Yet they can still outplay those who did make that mark, even when those guys were in their prime.
Personally, I'm all about who perfected the craft, not who pioneered certain aspects of it, and made more of a cultural impact. So with all due respect to Brian May, as far as I'm concerned, JP should've won.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »
Don't get me wrong, the flawless execution of their skill was one of the major appeals for me with DT, at least back in the day.
The problem is, there are thousands of guitar players who are equally as good, or better than JP. MP even said it himself once, that whatever was "the shit" back in the day is now considered standard by many drummers.
So, what musicians stand the test of time? It's the ones that are unique, the ones that have character. And in that regard, Brian is in a different league from JP.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
Sure, there may be a bunch of guys now who have surpassed JP in terms of dexterity, but it's not as if Brian May is among them. If you're judging by cultural impact, okay, Queen has surpassed generations, but what about the test of time in terms of longevity and being prolific? Brian May has barely made any new music since Freddie passed away, meanwhile JP is leading a band for 30 years, and still going very strong. That's a whole different kind of a test of time.
Either way, like I said, to me it's not about cultural impact, it's about who's the better musician, and I would say that's JP hands down.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
Nah, Brian May is the better musician. JP is better in being a technical virtuoso, but May is a better creator of music, with more memorable guitar moments and creating signature sounds and licks that are instantly recognizable as Brian May. I can not really say that there is a signature JP sound, where you will recognize that he's the one playing when you hear a song that is new to you.

Bringing out the longevity card to prop JP against May is...like apples and oranges? Queen started in 1970, more than a decade ahead of DT.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
Nah, Brian May is the better musician. JP is better in being a technical virtuoso, but May is a better creator of music, with more memorable guitar moments and creating signature sounds and licks that are instantly recognizable as Brian May. I can not really say that there is a signature JP sound, where you will recognize that he's the one playing when you hear a song that is new to you.
Yes, Brian May has his very specific signature style to his sounds and licks, but JP can do those, and more. He's a much more versatile musician, able to play anything from mile a minute shredding, to thick, chunky riffs, to weeping, soulful solos, to mellow acoustic stuff. I really don't understand how that makes him a worse musician. Obviously you're well within your rights to like one over the other as you see fit. But I judge musicians on their skill level, not what most people think, or how much of a cultural impact they had. I mean, The Beatles are the highest selling band in history, last time I checked, and they had so much more of an impact than DT, so I guess Ringo Star was a better drummer than Mike Portnoy, right?  ::)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »
rumby, stop scrooging DT side. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »
Brian May has some major chops, and there are aspects of JP's playing that were inspired by May's style, for sure. It is almost unfortunate how keyboard and piano oriented a lot of Queen's music was, because it really does make people forget just how great of a guitar player Brian May is. That being said, JP is a god, and can play anything Brian May ever wrote, and then some. In terms of proficiency, JP has it, easily.

Irrelevant.

That aside, these are two of my favorites, and anyone who thinks that Brian May is not one of the best ever needs to get a clue.  Not saying that is anybody here, but his playing is a large reason why Queen is one of the biggest and best bands ever. 

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 10:44:45 PM »
Irrelevant.

Okay... But we're talking about who's the better guitar player, and if one guy can play everything the other guy can and more, I'd say that makes him the better player. I mean, you can disagree, but if every argument I make is "Irrelevant because Queen," then it's quite a productive one-sided conversation we're having, isn't it?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »
Better player does not automatically equal better guitarist.

There are probably hundreds of guitarists who can "play" circles around David Gilmour when it comes to chops and technique, but who cares?  Music is not all about chops.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
Yes, Brian May has his very specific signature style to his sounds and licks, but JP can do those, and more. He's a much more versatile musician, able to play anything from mile a minute shredding, to thick, chunky riffs, to weeping, soulful solos, to mellow acoustic stuff. I really don't understand how that makes him a worse musician. Obviously you're well within your rights to like one over the other as you see fit. But I judge musicians on their skill level, not what most people think, or how much of a cultural impact they had. I mean, The Beatles are the highest selling band in history, last time I checked, and they had so much more of an impact than DT, so I guess Ringo Star was a better drummer than Mike Portnoy, right?  ::)

What? I am not even arguing for cultural impact. So that Ringo Starr and Mike Portnoy stuff is not even close to what I am arguing.

The only thing that JP I think really has a distinct advantage over May is the shredding but that was never his preffered arsenal anyway. Let's see some of the amazing May examples in the other departments that you mentioned:

Amazing riffs - Ogre Battle, Tie Your Mother Down, Hammer to Fall, The Hitman, Now I'm Here, One Vision, Bohemian Rhapsody, Tear It Up, Keep Yourself Alive, Sheer Heart Attack (simple, but sweet), Fat Bottomed Girls, Let Me Entertain You, More of that Jazz, Death on Two Legs, Innuendo, Tenement Funster

Weeping, soulful solos - Bohemian Rhapsody (just this one already settles the matter. :p ), Save Me, Somebody to Love. I Can't Live Without You. And the ultimate weeping solo, The Last Horizon, where astrophysicist Dr. Brian May was on full guitar god mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frube9ra07Y (not a complete version, the best vid of a live performance has been taken down)

Other solos - just about everything really. I especially love Hammer to Fall and We Will Rock You  :hefdaddy And the amazing sound effects in Get Down Make Love that was so ahead of its time, people actually thought they were using synthesizers.

Mellow acoustic stuff - Too Much Love Will Kill You. The concert version of Love of My Life.

You know, musical composition is part of musicality too, and May, I honestly believe, beats JP in that department. He composes guitar parts better.

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »
Better player does not automatically equal better guitarist.

There are probably hundreds of guitarists who can "play" circles around David Gilmour when it comes to chops and technique, but who cares?  Music is not all about chops.

No, but when you say, "Which guitarist is better?" you could judge them differently by a whole slew of factors. But it really seems sometimes like saying, "Well, just because he's got more chops doesn't mean he's a better guitarist," okay, but it doesn't mean he's worse either. Having chops is not a detriment, last time I checked. And it's not like JP is only good for chops. If he wasn't able of writing and playing great music, we wouldn't be here having this discussion.

You know, musical composition is part of musicality too, and May, I honestly believe, beats JP in that department. He composes guitar parts better.

Okay, that's cool. That's your opinion, and you're completely entitled to it. Personally, even in terms of composing, I don't think Brian May even comes close to JP. The brilliance of queen came from all four of them and half of Queen's best songs aren't even guitar driven, they have a lot of great songs which are largely drum or synth oriented, and their composing was just as much a contribution from May as it was from the other members. Same could be said for DT too, but personally, when listing all the great riffs and solos by May, he has some truly iconic ones, but I'd say JP has way more that are just as good.
But regardless of what the case may be, yes, songwriting is a factor, but just like chops, it's not the only factor. So like I said, "Which one is better" can be judged by many different factors, and it really depends on the person which specific factors they choose to judge.