Author Topic: Heavy Christmas! - Ragnarok Juletide (including Marco Hietala, Tony Kakko...)  (Read 1622 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Finland's annual, all-star symphonic Christmas rock project, dubbed RASKASTA JOULUA, which translates to "Heavy Christmas," is enjoying its 10th year running. To celebrate, the project, which tours every holiday season, will release a new studio album this year. The CD, titled "Ragnarok Juletide", will be released on November 11 via Spinefarm.

But this is not just another set of ho-ho-ho-hum takes on holiday songs nor is it a collection of predictable, safe versions of seasonal jams! For the first time ever, these versions of Finnish and international Christmas classics will also be recorded in the English language.

RASKASTA JOULUA is inspired by TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA and the participants view the project in serious fashion, which is not always true of Christmas-themed collections. There is nothing novelty or jokey about this project or this release. Don't expect familiar holiday favorites to be given a weak makeover or merely amplified by distorted guitars that have been added to give the Christmas jams a "rock" feel. That would be a Christmas cop out. Instead, the record truly and effectively captures the majesty, the wonder and the glory of the holiday season; the songs are carefully arranged and executed, with flawless musicianship and world-class vocal contributions.

"Ragnarok Juletide" will put headbangers in the most festive of moods, regardless of which metal subgenre he or she prefers, from speedy power metal to symphonic epics to dirgey doom. It's all here on this year's "Ragnarok Juletide".

Marco Hietala (NIGHTWISH, TAROT, NORTHERN KINGS), Tony Kakko (SONATA ARCTICA, NORTHERN KINGS), Elize Ryd (AMARANTHE), Jarkko Ahola (TERÄSBETONI, NORTHERN KINGS), Antti Railio (2013 "Voice Of Finland" winner) and more lend their throats to the project.

"It's amazing that we're still doing this and that it has grown to these proportions," said founder/producer/arranger/guitarist Erkka Korhonen. "Every year has been bigger for us and now the tour is one of the biggest annual treks in Finland."

Indeed, the accompanying tour is an event and a highlight on the annual holiday calendar for fans of all age groups. The project has progressed in size and scope each and every year, in both popularity and the prestige of the participants. The concert tour now runs for more than a month before the holiday season and plays to full arenas and ice stadiums.

Overall, "Ragnarok Juletide" is the definitive collection of holiday hymns for headbangers. This is how you've always wanted to hear Christmas music, but most artists have lacked the balls to do it this way.

Korhonen added, "Even people who haven't celebrated Christmas for years have found its spirit again through what we do. Since we've expanded the vocalist lineup every year, the audience wants to hear our new vocalists on the record. It'll be fantastic to bring these songs into other countries too!"

"Ragnarok Juletide" track listing:

01. We Celebrate At Christmastime
02. The First Noel
03. Here on the Hay
04. Little Drummer Boy
05. The Elf
06. Christmas Is Here
07. Sylvia's Song
08. White Christmas
09. Home for Christmas
10. A Sparrow on a Christmas Morning
11. Christmas Has Come
12. Ave Maria

The voices:

Elize Ryd
Marco Hietala
J.P. Leppäluoto
Tony Kakko
Jarkko Ahola
Ari Koivunen
Pasi Rantanen
Antti Railio
Ville Tuomi
Antony Parviainen
Tuple Salmela
Kimmo Blom

The backing musicians:

Erkka Korhonen - guitar, arrangments
Tuomas Wäinölä - guitar
Vili Ollila - keys
Mirka Rantanen - drums
Erkki Silvennoinen - bass
Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-sonata-arctica-amaranthe-members-featured-on-raskasta-jouluas-ragnarok-juletide/#04T0mXCAPrbrh7gJ.99

"We Celebrate at Christmastime": https://soundcloud.com/spinefarmer/ragnarok-juletide-we-celebrate-at-christmastime

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5dX7ZLv6RWsGmObeoU8WME
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:51:36 PM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline gazinwales

Both links give me a 'video not available' message :(

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
I added Spotify link if those youtube videos aren't available in other countries. Hope it helps..

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ErHaO

Nice, English! Now I am interested  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Will check it out later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
I added little more info, I really recommend this for all metal music lovers. Much better than that old "We Wish You a Metal Christmas" album. Sorry for spamming but I wish more people would find this one out!

One and half weeks to Christmas! Meanwhile take a look to this album!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I love the entire project, the albums, the singers, but especially the live performances (and especially when they do some Northern Kings stuff). This is probably both my favorite Finnish Christmas song and my favorite performance of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ4KjljhPT4
and if anyone wants to see some of the same singers take on Christmas tunes but in a more traditional arrangement, I'd recommend this 2011 concert with Tony Kakko, JP Leppäluoto, Jarkko Ahola and Johanna Kurkela (for Sonata Arctica fans - she is quite a famous singer in Finland, but you'd know her from her guest spots on The Days of Grays): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL58DB550D4B8E238E

I'm really hoping one day I'll make it to Finland to see one of their shows :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Johanna Kurkela is one of my favourite female singers! And if you didn't know, Johanna is Tuomas Holopainen's fiancee! ;)

Thanks for that link! Great concert, I will watch it in the whole later.

I will go to watch them  (actually Marco Hietala, JP Leppäluoto, Ari Koivunen and one other, I can't remember) next Sunday! Should be blast!  :metal

"Christmas Is Here" (Elize Ryd & Marco Hietala): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFcqE1JSolY
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:13:38 PM by YtseJamittaja »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
This album is so beautiful... How have I never heard about this project?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I heard Tony Kakko's version of Little Drummer Boy on radio one Christmas, which was a nice beacon of light amidst all the horrible renditions of various songs, and saw some of the concert Milena linked above on TV when it first aired. I hate 99% of Christmas music regardless of genre (and Christmas means very little for me overall these days - I'm a grumpy young man! :lol), but the line-up and idea of the project is cool and I can see why people like it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:28:19 PM by ? »

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
I heard Tony Kakko's version of Little Drummer Boy on radio one Christmas, which was a nice beacon of light amidst all the horrible renditions of various songs, and saw some of the concert Milena linked above on TV when it first aired. I hate 99% of Christmas music regardless of genre (and Christmas means very little for me overall these days - I'm a grumpy young man! :lol), but the line-up and idea of the project is cool and I can see why people like it.

C'moon Ville, I'm at the same age than you but I love Christmas!  :angel: :santa:

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was watching this live yesterday! And what a show! There were 4 singers (Marco, JP, Pasi and Ari) and almost 2,5h set with all the best Christmas songs. The band was on fire in the last show before Christmas!  :hefdaddy

If I said before that you should check this album out, now I could say that beware, you have to check it out even if you don't like Christmas and it's songs! That thing is killer!! :santa:

LINK: https://open.spotify.com/album/5dX7ZLv6RWsGmObeoU8WME