Author Topic: (Now online!) Interviewing Mike Mangini in a few days, give me your questions!  (Read 17288 times)

Offline Knguro

Re: Interviewing Mike Mangini in a few days, give me your questions!
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
The three times I met him he was fresh out of the shower after the gig, so I got nuthin'.  :lol

I met them all twice (can you actually meet someone twice?), no MP BTW, and yes, MM same thing, fresh out of the shower, great guys overall, JM still an enigma but a very polite, quite, humble guy. All i can say is that i smelled their pizza, does that work for you guys?
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
The three times I met him he was fresh out of the shower after the gig, so I got nuthin'.  :lol

What kind of shampoo does he use? Pe(a)rt Plus?

-Marc.
:facepalm:

:lol

When I met him he was fresh drinking a Stella.

ewwww.  my opinion of the man has soured somewhat.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2014, 12:56:06 PM »

Oh come on. My opinion of JLB didn't sour when I found out he drinks Chai Lattes.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »

Oh come on. My opinion of JLB didn't sour when I found out he drinks Chai Lattes.

Because chai latte's are delicious when the occasion calls.  Stella's taste like a piece of shit.  They call Stella's 'wife beaters' round here :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2014, 05:23:34 PM »
Stella is the classic "beer nobody in the origin country drinks". Same holds for Beck's, Foster's etc. Except Bud. People actually drink that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
Except Bud. People actually drink that.

God knows why.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2014, 05:50:38 PM »
I think we all know the answer.

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »
Because chai latte's are delicious when the occasion calls.  Stella's taste like a piece of shit.  They call Stella's 'wife beaters' round here :lol

If by delicious you mean have all the wonderful flavor of scented hand soap, then sure, they're delicious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2014, 05:02:13 AM »

I'm teetotal but Stella does indeed taste fucking awful.  I don't know how people can drink it. To me it tastes like seawater and vinegar.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2014, 08:03:22 AM »
Interviewing Mike Mangini in a few days...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz................. :justjen :yeahright
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2014, 08:29:53 AM »

???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »
Here's actually a question: Do you have to clear the questions beforehand with DT management/MM?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2014, 10:49:48 AM »
Here's actually a question: Do you have to clear the questions beforehand with DT management/MM?

Well, no. But Mike very politely asked me to send him the transcription (because we're not releasing audio) once i'm done, to make sure that what is written is what he meant while talking. He told me that sometimes he might say something that gets misunderstood, or maybe he doesn't mean it this way, so he wants to make sure his message comes across.

But no limits to questions whatsoever, at least that's my experience, there was no DT manager there, only the manager from Zildjian who is a very nice and friendly guy. Actually Mike asked for more time when he came to warn us about time running out, and he was cool with it.

And i know it's taking a while, so here's a funny moment from the interview just to keep you entertained https://soundcloud.com/nikatapi/mm-funny

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
Aww man, why no audio?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
Aww man, why no audio?

Sorry man, i might release the audio later, but our site doesn't do audio interviews yet. (not my rules)

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »
That sucks. You should do like a DTF Happy Holidays release of the audio interview.  :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
That sucks. You should do like a DTF Happy Holidays release of the audio interview.  :lol

:lol :lol :lol
Great idea!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »

I hear Ed Norton is a bell end to work with.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »

Well, no. But Mike very politely asked me to send him the transcription (because we're not releasing audio) once i'm done, to make sure that what is written is what he meant while talking. He told me that sometimes he might say something that gets misunderstood, or maybe he doesn't mean it this way, so he wants to make sure his message comes across.

Wow.  I wonder if this is a new thing.  Surely he can't read every interview he does, even though he doesn't do an insane amount of interviews, that would take up an incredible amount of time. 

I'm thinking this may be in response to one of his recent interviews that got people buzzing about something he said about Portnoy.  I can't even remember what it was because I didn't think it was that big of a deal but some people got a bit miffed at it. 

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
Wow.  I wonder if this is a new thing.  Surely he can't read every interview he does, even though he doesn't do an insane amount of interviews, that would take up an incredible amount of time. 

I'm thinking this may be in response to one of his recent interviews that got people buzzing about something he said about Portnoy.  I can't even remember what it was because I didn't think it was that big of a deal but some people got a bit miffed at it.

Well, I'm sure touring, and spending all that time on the bus, or plane, there is some reading time.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2014, 07:44:59 AM »
Ok friends, it's finally published, and you can read it here! https://noisefull.com/interviews/mike-mangini-dream-theater

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Great read!  He has a really great energy and attitude.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

That's like one of the most informative MM interviews ever. Especially regarding the Dream Theater album. Amazing. :)

And I was right. That Tu tu tu pa tu part in IT is MM. ;)

Offline Sycsa

Great interview! :tup

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline goo-goo

Thanks for the interview! Very interesting read

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Excellent read, great interview.

Awesome interview!
Man, reading that last part, I say we can wait for the next album. Let the guys have some R&R for a few months.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Might as well start discussing it!

- I'm not sure I understand why the size of his kit became a sound issue in the studio (because of bleeding), but not on BTFW. I think it's pretty safe to say that they were under more time pressure setting up at the Opera House than in the studio.
- I think it's interesting to hear (or at least hear him allude to) the rationale behind the click tracks and the fixed setlists. I probably have to say "let's agree to disagree", because I kinda go to live shows for exactly the variability he mentions.

Offline nikatapi

Thank you for the feedback, i hope you enjoyed reading the interview!

Might as well start discussing it!

- I'm not sure I understand why the size of his kit became a sound issue in the studio (because of bleeding), but not on BTFW. I think it's pretty safe to say that they were under more time pressure setting up at the Opera House than in the studio.
- I think it's interesting to hear (or at least hear him allude to) the rationale behind the click tracks and the fixed setlists. I probably have to say "let's agree to disagree", because I kinda go to live shows for exactly the variability he mentions.

I think that the fixed setlist makes things easier for everyone, band and the crew, so i guess this is the number one reason why it's happening. Jordan also said that the whole rotating setlist thing was weird, tiring and sometimes frustrating for them. Of course i understand why this was something that made the band unique, but i can't blame them for trying to better performers and keeping their piece of mind.

Also a point that i didn't see mentioned, and i don't know if it was mentioned in another interview, is that Mike didn't like the snare sound, just went along with it, trying not to be egoistical. Personally i still don't like it, but i'm impressed by how tactful and respectful Mike is, since it's his sound we're talking about, but he can take a step back if there is a vision behind the change. Very cool.

Another thing, is his ADTOE sound, i couldn't agree more, and i felt while talking in person that he is not very fond of his sound on the album.

This whole discussion makes me optimistic about the next album, we see progress with each album, so i guess the next one will be even better in terms of drum sound.

I think that the fixed setlist makes things easier for everyone, band and the crew, so i guess this is the number one reason why it's happening. Jordan also said that the whole rotating setlist thing was weird, tiring and sometimes frustrating for them. Of course i understand why this was something that made the band unique, but i can't blame them for trying to better performers and keeping their piece of mind.
Plus JP said that it was a presentation issue, wanting the whole set to be its own journey in the way it's experienced. So there's that.

Though I do think having two or three songs switch back and forth wasn't a bad thing, like last time. But this time, I definitely had peace of mind in not having to worry that I won't get to hear the "better" setlist, or miss out on certain songs.

Offline nikatapi

Plus JP said that it was a presentation issue, wanting the whole set to be its own journey in the way it's experienced. So there's that.

Though I do think having two or three songs switch back and forth wasn't a bad thing, like last time. But this time, I definitely had peace of mind in not having to worry that I won't get to hear the "better" setlist, or miss out on certain songs.

Yeah this is true, it's great to have rotating setlists for people who see DT multiple times on the same tour, but for others it sucks knowing that they played some songs that they didn't see live.

Oh, and since the interview is very drum-sound focused, i have to say that during the clinic Mike sounded incredible, everything was so clear, powerful and bright. He played The Enemy Inside and the first part of Illumination Theory, along with some improvisations.
Here are some pictures:

Offline Ravenfoul

Great interview man.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
That was a very informative and interesting interview. You can tell just from reading it that he's a true team player. He's always thinking about the grand scheme of things and how his abilities play into what eventually becomes a finished product. That, to me, is a terrific quality for anyone to have.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Really cool interview, congratulations!
It was very nice to see that MM mentioned the drum sounds of Mullmuzzler 2 and EoP! The first is my favourite drums performance recorded by MM and the second is my favourite MM drums sound recording (on the last matter, it appears he thinks so too).
He seems to be totally a great guy, always thinking in the team etc but I wish sometimes he could be more "selfish" with his approval of the drum sound. It seems that he really understand what a good drum sound is (of course).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)