Author Topic: (Now online!) Interviewing Mike Mangini in a few days, give me your questions!  (Read 17218 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I also really don't like the doubling they did with James' vocals. It sounds out of tune.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

Because of this interview, I listened to James Labrie's Elements of Persuasion.

I want that Mike Mangini drum sound. Damn, they should redo ADTOE and DT with that drum sound!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

I want that Mike Mangini drum sound. Damn, they should redo ADTOE and DT with that drum sound!

I agree on this one and I also like MM's playing on that album very much.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

While I love that drum sound I don't know if it would work perfectly for DT.  EoP is so in your face that it needs loud punchy drums but it would steal focus from the more subtle things that Dt does. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
All the instruments sound a million times better on EOP than DT12, but unfortunately the mastering on EOP is even more brickwalled, as there's noticable clipping in some songs. Other than that, I'd be happy if the drum (and guitar) sound on the next DT album was at least as good as on that record.

Offline Rodni Demental

I dunno, I've always thought the guitar tone on Elements of Persuasion was a little off. It's not horrible, it sort of has a unique style that's appropriate for the type of music, but I wouldn't want JP to use a tone like that. It's sort of got that high/mid contour, twangy chunky metal tone, but still comes off a bit thin. (It gets ridiculous trying to describe tonal qualities but hopefully that slightly made sense).  :xbones

Even though it's probably less unique and more generic, I much prefer the tone Marco Sfogli uses on Static Impulse/Impermanent Resonance. YET, I still prefer many of the compositions on EoP. Can't win haha.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:57:29 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline erwinrafael

While I love that drum sound I don't know if it would work perfectly for DT.  EoP is so in your face that it needs loud punchy drums but it would steal focus from the more subtle things that Dt does.

I actually just want the clarity of the drum sound in that album, especially the cymbals.