Author Topic: "His real name was Sue"  (Read 893 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"His real name was Sue"
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
10 years since Jelly Jam 2 was released, and I only finally just figured out that the lyric to Not Today "So you finally convinced him that his real name was Sue, and now that he knows that he doesn't really know what to do" is a reference to a Johnny Cash song.  I had no idea where that lyric came from, and thought it was completely random.  Now I know.  ...of course, most of the rest of the song's lyrics still seem completely random.  At this rate, I should have this song completely figured out in another 40 years or so.   :lol

Anyhow, if you were bothered to read this, feel free to appreciate Jelly Jam.   :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: "His real name was Sue"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
Noice! Didn't know that. One of my favorite pastime super prog bands after I'd discovered DT. Another band that, while I rarely listen to them anymore, when I do it's always great and a nice trip down memory lane. This is the band that truly opened my mind to the masterful, mesmerizing Myung.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
10 years since Jelly Jam 2 was released, and I only finally just figured out that the lyric to Not Today "So you finally convinced him that his real name was Sue, and now that he knows that he doesn't really know what to do" is a reference to a Johnny Cash song.
:facepalm: Today's youth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
I've never listened to Jelly Jam, but seeing the title of this thread, Johnny Cash was the first thing that came to mind. Now I'm intrigued.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 04:14:47 AM »
I almost never get any references in lyrics and I almost never understand what a song is about, but mentioning Jelly Jam is always a good thing. They should definitely release more albums.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
There is a part of me that could practically scream "how in the hell could you not have heard of A Boy Named Sue?"

Having said that, I grew up with country-mad father, Johnny Cash fangirl mother, and both my and my brother's tastes are fairly country inflected, so it would seem that way to me.