Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 34007 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #245 on: July 04, 2015, 01:56:08 AM »
is it still a deus ex machina if you introduce it earlier in the film ?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2015, 03:24:39 AM »
I mean, this one was much less a deus-ex-machina than the original Jurassic Park. In the original film, the T-Rex literally came out of nowhere and that has always been a movie moment I don't like because it's such a cheap quick way out. At least they set that scene up properly in JW, and it wasn't really a surprise when it happened, because once the I-Rex ended up near the water, the outcome was pretty clear.

Jurasic Park is still a better movie overall though, despite it's mediocre ending.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2015, 05:54:55 AM »
The thing that bothered me about the original was that every time the T-Rex showed, we got the classic "the water moves"-scene beforehand, and the fact that the visitor's center was a fairly small building with doors and walls. Not only did the T-Rex manage to enter a smaller building without breaking any doors or walls (to our knowledge, because we didn't hear anything) but she also managed to sneak into the building in complete silence. :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: July 04, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
I think that's down to Spielberg going " if you ramp up the tension enough - then audiences will buy it "

He did the same with the scuba tank exploding in Jaws.

Offline 425

« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
The main reason I'm willing to buy the T-Rex in the original is because the characters, like the audience, are so focused on the velociraptors that it's possible they didn't hear the Rex coming.

However, while I'm okay with that one instance, it is one of the most "Hollywood" moments in the first one. I assume that either Spielberg or David Koepp, who co-wrote the screenplay with Michael Crichton, came up with that idea, because it does not come from Crichton's novel. The second movie was filled with rather ridiculous "Hollywood" moments like this, and it's pretty clear that it's a product of Koepp and Spielberg making that movie without Crichton's involvement.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
I mean, this one was much less a deus-ex-machina than the original Jurassic Park. In the original film, the T-Rex literally came out of nowhere and that has always been a movie moment I don't like because it's such a cheap quick way out.

Of course it is a cheap way out, but it was hardly "out of nowhere."  The T-Rex (why are we capitalizing?) was last seen chasing one of the jeeps down the road that led to the visitor's center, so it stands to reason it would have kept wandering in that direction and eventually showed up there. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »
Yes, maybe eventually. But it came at such a last-milisecond perfect timing after heading that direction for an entire night and maybe half a day, while also managing to enter the room without anyone hearing or seeing it (even the super clever raptors surrounding the heroes with eyes in every direction), that I would not say that "out of nowhere" is unjustified.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2015, 06:47:53 AM »
I finally got around to watching this last night. I was kind of disappointed. Too many cliche characters. That military guy was especially terrible. I don't know why they needed to work a military angle into the film. I get the Injen connection, but still. I thought the water dinosaur jumping out of the pool and eating the big guy (no clue how to spell it) was super lame and I was crushed when it happened.

They kind of rushed Wong out of the movie. I wonder if he'll be in the next sequel?

Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Jurassic World
Jurassic Park III

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
I've liked Jurassic World less and less since I first saw it. A bit better than III still though.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #254 on: December 09, 2015, 06:57:15 AM »
No way is Jurassic World worse than the Lost World or III.

Jurassic Park
Jurassic World

III

The Lost World

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
No way is Lost World worse than III. III has no redeeming value.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »
The Lost World is the best one for me. III is absolutely awful.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2015, 07:08:24 AM »
I like to pretend III didn't happen. I don't understand the hate for The Lost World.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2015, 07:10:46 AM »
I like to pretend III didn't happen. I don't understand the hate for The Lost World.

It had its fair share of dumb shit, but so do most Hollywood movies. :lol It still had plenty of great scenes too. It's not as iconic as the first movie, but still a lot of fun.
III is a footnote on the franchise at best.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »
What do you think the sequel is going to be like? I'm not sure where they could go with it. I think the park idea is officially dead. Dr. Wong's disappearance could be used to fuel some kind of story after these events. Maybe it will have nothing to do with a park and instead be focused on other companies (probably military) using Wong's work.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
Jurassic Planet

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
What do you think the sequel is going to be like? I'm not sure where they could go with it. I think the park idea is officially dead. Dr. Wong's disappearance could be used to fuel some kind of story after these events. Maybe it will have nothing to do with a park and instead be focused on other companies (probably military) using Wong's work.

military starts growing raptors to train
training happens
used in war
a few raptors end up getting lost, "life finds a way", so they fuck
newborn raptors are not trained
they go around killing shit
???
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
I think the problem with Jurassic Park in general is that it's very hard to make a sequel. The idea in The Lost World, and even moreso in JP3 with the characters going into an island with broken down facilities is pretty cool. Seeing how nature has taken over is cool. But they have already done that.. twice. I also think the problem is that the best ideas also clash with the fact that Pratt and BDH are confirmed to return, and you get a problem with characters returning to a place with dinosaurs after the first time ended in tragedy.

Personally I think a cool idea for a sequel would be for some random people to end up on the island by accident, maybe they are out on a boat and gets a bit too close to the island and then has to survive/find a way off the island. Kinda what JP3 did but minus Grant returning for another check.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
this movie had no redeeming qualities.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »

I dunno... red head got incredibly sexy as the movie went on. All that sweat and dirt on her.... she looked delicious.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #265 on: December 10, 2015, 10:05:31 AM »
Jurassicnado
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2015, 11:05:56 AM »

I dunno... red head got incredibly sexy as the movie went on. All that sweat and dirt on her.... she looked delicious.

Bryce Dallas Howard is a beaut

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »
Jurrasimanji. The dinosaurs get too smart for their own good and play a deadly board game come to life in which humans with big mechs hunt them down. Starring CGI Robin Williams.

...NOT too far-fetched. Thanks, Hollywood.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: December 11, 2015, 06:03:21 AM »
Jurrasimanji. The dinosaurs get too smart for their own good and play a deadly board game come to life in which humans with big mechs hunt them down. Starring CGI Robin Williams.

...NOT too far-fetched. Thanks, Hollywood.

Robin Williams' DNA is used to complete a mech's genome (assuming they are a machine/biological hybrid).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2022, 07:24:23 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: February 11, 2022, 08:34:27 AM »
New trailer looks interesting.

Guess I need to watch the last film lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #274 on: February 11, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »
New trailer looks interesting.

Guess I need to watch the last film lol

Same.  I saw the two Jurassic World movies, but I don't remember them well (mostly I remember the last one being over-the-top silly).  But I'll see the new one for sure.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2022, 11:38:02 AM »
Not to sound overly negative but I felt kinda sad watching the trailer because I love the original and I even have fondness for Lost World and JP3, heck even Jurassic World I found entertaining, though I felt Fallen Kingdom was a disappointment. But seeing Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler back in the trailer, it didn't fill me with that "holy crap they are back"-feeling, it honestly felt more cynical cash grab territory where they are clearly just there for nostalgia reasons and not much else. Some of the scenes with all of them gathered (including Ian Malcolm) looked very 'shot in front of greenscreen' that took me out of it a bit. Overall something about the look of the film and the look of those actors all these years later (heck Jeff Goldblum looks like a saturday morning cartoon character these days) just made it look a bit silly. I'm also skeptical of the 'dinos spread out in the world' aspect of the plot, in some of these scenes it looked interesting and unique, in others (like Bryce Dallas Howard being chased through a city by a raptor) it looked pretty bad.

I guess that was a lot of negativity though but to end it on a positive note, even though I'm skeptical of the 'dinos mixed with humans in the world' aspect of the plot (the last 30 minutes of the Lost World were my least favorite minutes of that movie) at least it will make this movie different to the others. And hopefully they can do something interesting with it. I just hope they don't ruin the legacy characters. Even bringing back Dodgson from JP1 who is now recast feels a bit weird, the guy played such a minor part in 1 movie, then again the same could be said for BD Wong in the original and he went on to become a big bad guy of the JW trilogy. :P

Offline T-ski

« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2022, 02:54:02 PM »
I have no idea how Jurassic Park movies continue to get made.

Kudos to those that still find them watchable.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2022, 02:12:47 PM »
I liked World, but the sequel was so damn bad. This one looks ridiculous. But I actually hope they fully embrace the dumb plot and go super over the top with the dino dominion angle. Could be entertaining, A serious plotline is not in the cards anymore.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2022, 07:55:14 AM »
Laura Dern looks better than she did 30 years ago!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2022, 07:57:50 AM »
I liked World, but the sequel was so damn bad. This one looks ridiculous. But I actually hope they fully embrace the dumb plot and go super over the top with the dino dominion angle. Could be entertaining, A serious plotline is not in the cards anymore.

I didn't mind the first half of Fallen Kingdom, but once it reached the mansion with auctioning dinosaurs.....not so good.  Still better than JP 3 though!