Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 33957 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
Just saw this today. I didn't really expect something highly original or non-cheesy, so I loved it. Really fun movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »
I thought it was well directed. The dramatic moments were good and the humour was just about right. Also the nods to the original and the self-aware jokes were good too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
The best part for me was without a doubt...

When Claire opened the gate at the end to "reveal" our old friend. That scene gave me the goosebumps. While the movie had some flaws and wasn't perfect by all means, I will say that the end battle, how it played out and seeing two of the originals take on the I-Rex, and the way it ended.. it was perfectly done. It had a nice "Don't fuck with the original" feel.  :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »
The whole trained raptors thing could have been excruciating - but was actually alright.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
The whole trained raptors thing could have been excruciating - but was actually alright.

Yeah, that part looked like it could fail horribly in the trailers, but they handled that perfectly. They added a lot of smart scenes where it was clear that the raptors weren't tame.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »
[spoiler]

I didn't expect that guide type woman to get killed - the one who the boys' auntie was asked to watch them. her death was pretty comic though.

I also didn't expect the asian pilot guy to die either.

[/spoiler]

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »

When Claire opened the gate at the end to "reveal" our old friend. That scene gave me the goosebumps.

Definitely.  When she said 'open paddock 9', the energy in the theater was absolutely electric.  We were all so fucking excited about what was about to happen.  For a few minutes there, I reverted to ten-year-old-boy levels of excitement. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »
That raptor that was riding the T-Rex like a god damn Yoshi though  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »
I really loved the twist in this movie. Definitely wasn't expecting it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »
While it is cool to see giant dinosaurs fighting, I though the entire ending was pretty silly.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2015, 12:13:20 AM »
Amazing movie, coming from a guy that's only seen the first movie.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2015, 12:24:54 AM »
Amazing movie, coming from a guy that's only seen the first movie.
Lost World is just okay. Don't bother with 3.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2015, 12:55:26 AM »
Thoughts on Jurassic World

SPOILERS BELOW.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I have some minor gripes, though. For starters, D'Onofrio's character was just downright cartoonish. He was like a Disney villain. That scene where he goes outside and sees everything flying out of the aviary and he just smirks. Guh. What?

The second issue that I had is better explained by me bringing up things that made the first film good that this one didn't have.

We'll start with character development. There was absolutely zero. I mean, there was almost a forced attempt at something (I think) when the younger kid brought up suspicion of his parents' divorce, then the older brother tells him to man up and they literally forget this ever happened.

There were the underdeveloped quirky personalities in the control center. There was Chris Pratt's underdeveloped black friend. Why was it important to spare him? I mean I didn't really care whether he lived or died. There was the somewhat developed Indian park owner, and I actually liked his character more than, well, almost everyone, because of his dedication to Hammond's vision without sacrificing his morals (aside from the whole genetic modification thing). Finally, there were the two brothers. One's a smart dinosaur nut (Timmy?) and the other one... well, he's just there. That's really all we ever learn about them.  This movie's saving grace, aside from Chris Pratt, was Bryce Dallas Howard's cleavage.

The story-telling and pacing was done masterfully in the first film, and may have set an impossible standard. In the original JP, after each encounter, we were briefly placed into a safe locale. This killed two birds with one stone, as it gave us a break from the action and simultaneously gave us time for character development. This disconnect between action scenes gave us the feeling that all these attacks, while a direct result from Nedry's incompetence, were actually unrelated events. This made the problem feel more widespread and it also illustrated and gave credence to Malcolm's chaos theory.

I left the theater wanting some of the tension that Jurassic Park brilliantly created. Nothing in this movie came close to the nail-biting level of terror that was in JP's first T-Rex encounter, his second encounter, the kitchen raptor encounter, or well... anything. I never felt like Jurassic World's characters were in danger. None of the scenes lingered long enough. When the new hybrid dino attacked the brothers in that bubble, I almost got some of that, but then he just left. I don't even remember why, exactly. He broke a tooth or something. Uhmm. Yeah.

Also, the end was kind of silly. Megalodon just flops out of the water to eat Hybrid-saur. I lol'd in the theater.

So with all of that, it's a fun action movie despite the lack of character development and thrills.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2015, 06:25:50 AM »
Yeah, that was definitely a deus ex machina. Would've much rather see the T-Rex crush the dinosaur outright

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
Well the ending was not out of the blue though. They showed us the Mosasaur several times and eventually it paid off in the finale.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2015, 07:40:16 AM »
As soon as I realized where they were and saw the broken railing, I knew what was coming. Overall, it was a fun movie with some dumb moments, but it was still way better than Jurassic Park 3, and to me that's all that matters. This movie made up for that atrocity. Still, as great as the effects were at times, they still couldn't touch the majority of the effects in the original. Specifically the T. Rex escape. That was a real living dinosaur, damnit.

I give the movie a 7/10, but I've only seen it once, and currently I have no desire to watch it again, so maybe that's bad.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
I had family shit come up this weekend and had to miss the showing I reserved prime seats for 5 weeks ago :(

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
Yeah, that was definitely a deus ex machina. Would've much rather see the T-Rex crush the dinosaur outright

Even if the T-Rex used her last bit of strength to push I-Rex into the water, it would have been better
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »
Well the ending was not out of the blue though. They showed us the Mosasaur several times and eventually it paid off in the finale.

Yes this. I think it would have been more of a Deus Ex Machina if the Mosasaur was only shown at that moment.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »

When Claire opened the gate at the end to "reveal" our old friend. That scene gave me the goosebumps.

Definitely.  When she said 'open paddock 9', the energy in the theater was absolutely electric.  We were all so fucking excited about what was about to happen.  For a few minutes there, I reverted to ten-year-old-boy levels of excitement.

Absolutely! I had a rare moment of brilliance and called this shot about 15 minutes before it occurred. They had to give T-Rex redemption after its lame demise in JP3.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »
I actually thought the scene with the I-Rex was peering into the garage where Owen and the redhead were hiding - was quite scary. For a brief moment.

I also loved the scene where the I-Rex came out of it's camouflage . :tup.

EDIT - Beth . had to look it up - i forgot her character's name.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2015, 10:09:54 AM »
ALSO - Colin Treverrow will not direct any sequels. This is not surprising if you watch the movie. It's quite blatantly making fun of sequels made purely for money.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
Yes, this movie was cliched out the ass, but I enjoyed it. I liked the homage to Aliens ala the colonial marines.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
Yes, this movie was cliched out the ass, but I enjoyed it. I liked the homage to Aliens ala the colonial marines.

That was probably the best brief part of the movie. Having the raptors actually be scary will always be better, because they are scary animals.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2015, 04:49:03 PM »
I love the Michael Giacchino score. For me - a good score is when you can remember motifs from throughout the movie. Hans Zimmer too.

John Williams can do memorable themes but I can barely remember the rest of any of his famous scores.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »
I love the Michael Giacchino score. For me - a good score is when you can remember motifs from throughout the movie. Hans Zimmer too.

John Williams can do memorable themes but I can barely remember the rest of any of his famous scores.
Que?

Off the top of my head I cank think of at least three different melodies from each of Hook, Harry Potter, and Star Wars.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »
Any score can be made better by adding the "Inception" horn sound.

"Ferris Buller you're my hero."
BWAAAAAAAAAHHHH
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »
liked this movie a lot. i loved how it referenced the first ones so much with little things, and some pretty big stuff. my biggest issue was the absence of jeff goldblum.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!

Offline adace

« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2015, 05:29:22 AM »
Pretty awesome movie. I thought it would borrow too much from the first film but the story actually felt pretty original. Easily better than the last two but still doesn't top the first film for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2015, 05:43:14 AM »
Jurassic World was lacking Jeff Goldblum but made up for it by also lacking Julianne Moore.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
Bryce Dallas Howard is such a babe tho.  :heart

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
Saw this last night and loved it. Gotta give it up for Jake Johnson. He makes me laugh in everything he's in.

Also, I love T-Rex. So, this:

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »
Heading out to see this now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind