Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 33997 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2015, 10:05:43 AM »
Back in 1993 it would have been unusual to have more than one programmer, and collaborating on code wouldn't have been as easy as today.

Also maybe there were other programmers for other subsystems?

Also it's a movie.

Also it's Newman.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2015, 10:08:06 AM »
NEWMAN!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2015, 03:26:27 AM »
Has anyone seen the movie yet? Going in two days time, can't wait!!!!!  :corn

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2015, 04:23:03 AM »
I'm going on Sunday morning.

Online faizoff

« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2015, 05:20:57 AM »
Planning on a late friday night show. Reviews so far appear decent.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2015, 06:10:43 AM »
Saw it last nite. I went in with BIG doubts. I was pleasantly surprised. It is a good popcorn movie, No more no less.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2015, 07:38:47 AM »
I will try to catch it this weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
I'm seeing reviews everywhere but I am afraid to read them.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
Do not go in with high expectations. If you can do that it is an entertaining movie. Little quirky and bad one liners. But overall, if u just want to veg with dino's for 2 hours it is worth it.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »
I ended up going to see this with friends tonight. I had no expectations for it, found it pretty enjoyable, and it seemed about as good as a revisit to the franchise at this point could be expected to be. Characters weren't too annoying (except perhaps the "villain" type character, but the film seemed aware of that), action wasn't too constant and frantic, lots of self-aware references in the early part of the film.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »
Just saw it.

Really enjoyed it. A lot of fun.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
Just saw it.

^This^
Signature

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2015, 10:14:48 PM »
Just saw it.

Saw it last night

Lovef it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2015, 03:22:10 AM »
Those kids were fucking annoying. Otherwise, fun flick

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2015, 03:23:29 AM »
Those kids were fucking annoying.

Like in the first movie then ;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2015, 03:29:55 AM »
Those kids were fucking annoying.

Like in the first movie then ;D

Ha, well Tim and Lex both had an innocent charm to them. In Jurassic World, the little brother was too whiney and the older brother was very rapey. Both had atrocious dialogue. Jurassic Park by tradition have kids that get trapped in the chaos. Luckily the movie was entertaining enough it didn't ruin the movie for me!

Also, Bryce Dallas Howard  :heart

Online faizoff

« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2015, 05:42:05 AM »
Enjoyed it as well, it was a fun thrilling movie and about as much as I expected. Some cheese, some over acting, some very 'Hollywood' moments and some ugly deaths. There were several callbacks to the previous movies spread throughout the movie which was fun to spot at times. Also this is awesome
https://i.imgur.com/dBR0MKn.gifv
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2015, 07:27:34 AM »
We went to Universal Studios the day before and took the Lot Tour several times... so seeing Jimmy Fallon pop up was very amusing.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »
Enjoyed it as well, it was a fun thrilling movie and about as much as I expected. Some cheese, some over acting, some very 'Hollywood' moments and some ugly deaths. There were several callbacks to the previous movies spread throughout the movie which was fun to spot at times. Also this is awesome
https://i.imgur.com/dBR0MKn.gifv

:lol Ha ! What a legend ! Chris Pratt is on fire right now. He seems like a dude and I really hope he has a long career ahead of him :)

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
Just read news that this film has completely blown through the initial estimates for it at the box office. Makes sense to me; like I said before I wasn't really that excited about the idea of a revisit to this franchise so hadn't really been anticipating it or following news about it, but after ending up going to see it it was a really fun film and I wouldn't mind seeing it again at the cinema.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
We went to Universal Studios the day before and took the Lot Tour several times... so seeing Jimmy Fallon pop up was very amusing.

I think the beginning of the movie they super imposed those damn escalators from Universal Hollywood, no?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
Just read news that this film has completely blown through the initial estimates for it at the box office. Makes sense to me; like I said before I wasn't really that excited about the idea of a revisit to this franchise so hadn't really been anticipating it or following news about it, but after ending up going to see it it was a really fun film and I wouldn't mind seeing it again at the cinema.

$212m worldwide in one day.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »

I think the beginning of the movie they super imposed those damn escalators from Universal Hollywood, no?

Did they? Looks like they could have IIRC but I wasn't paying enough attention to them.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
Going to see this tonight

Just got back. It was pretty good! Better than I expected. 7.5/10
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:44:19 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »

7 is pretty much what i'd give it too.

I'd change the colour grading though. It's too colourful for me and not quite dark enough.

Also it could be the cinema effect but some of the CGI looked terrible - at least until it got dark then the dinosaurs looked great.

Some of the raptors looked really flat. As in 2D.

With the money that this movie is going to make - for the next one ( if there is one ) - they should go back to models as well as CG.

I don't kow how a sequel would play out. They can't do theme park gone tits up AGAIN... Maybe a couple of prequels to show the story either before JP1 or between JP3 and now.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »

7 is pretty much what i'd give it too.

I'd change the colour grading though. It's too colourful for me and not quite dark enough.

Also it could be the cinema effect but some of the CGI looked terrible - at least until it got dark then the dinosaurs looked great.

Some of the raptors looked really flat. As in 2D.

With the money that this movie is going to make - for the next one ( if there is one ) - they should go back to models as well as CG.

I don't kow how a sequel would play out. They can't do theme park gone tits up AGAIN... Maybe a couple of prequels to show the story either before JP1 or between JP3 and now.

On a related note . . .

https://www.agonybooth.com/agonizer/Rick_Baker_Retires_CGI_Wins.aspx

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
I saw it last night. It was good, but I felt like they were pulling it in too many directions. First it was about two brothers bonding during some adventure, then it was about animal cruelty, then it was about how bad war is, then the boys parents we're getting divorced (which never gets brought up again or resolved). Meanwhile, the calm, cool and collected female protagonist has this awakening experience that helps her get her priorities straight.

And then there were some awesome dinosaur fights.

I bet there will be a sequel and it will have something to do with that guy who escaped with the embryos.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Yes i'm frankly getting sick of the "couple who are divorced or separated" trope in movies these days.  In Jurassic World it seemed shoehorned in "just because".

I'm really hoping Treverrow chucked it in there to make fun of how many movies have that as a theme these days.

The had the whole spiel about " People are bored with dinosaurs - they want it new and shiny every few years " - which was obviously a meta joke.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2015, 09:33:18 AM »
That one kid looked like he was from the 80s. I seriously thought the movie had maybe opened on a flashback on Pratt's character maybe

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
Ba ha ha. Jurassic World has made more in it's opening weekend than Jurassic Park 3 made in it's entire run.

$512m worldwide in three days. Crazy.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
So, would we all agree that this is the best sequel of the franchise?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »
No. The Lost World is the best Jurassic Park sequal (and my favorite JP movie overall). It's a good movie with cheesy moments. Just got back from Jurassic World, and it was a cheesy movie with good moments.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
As someone who has worked for Disney theme parks, I appreciated the first 20 minutes of this movie. The whole synergistic aspect like the Starbucks and Pandora stores made me chuckle. Also when that guy had to pull out his pamphlet to spiel to all those guests that the attraction was down...I can't count how many times I had pull out a damn spiel card when we were having technical difficulties and had to close the ride. "Guys, I just work here." SO TRUE   :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
So, would we all agree that this is the best sequel of the franchise?
No, Lost World, despite it's own stupid parts, was way, way, way better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
For a 2nd time director - Jurassic World was very good.