Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 34004 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Jurassic World
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:15:32 AM »
First official trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

What's everyone's thoughts based on this trailer? I'm up in the air at this point. Honestly.. I think the whole trained dinosaurs/no fence thing is pretty stupid actually. I know Jurassic Park movies aren't supposed to be super realistic, but that place would have a lawsuit on their hands within the first week of the place opening. It just seems like a really convenient way to get a plot going.

I also have a hard time believing that a single hybrid dinosaur would shut that whole park down. Please. They couldn't set a trap of some kind? Hell, they took down a stegosaurus, a t-rex, and a handful of other dinos in The Lost World with tranquilizers. They couldn't do that here? Clearly they never figured out how to get the lysine contingency to work yet.

Is this the same park as the first movie? If it is, and they can somehow work the embryo can buried in mud into the hybrid dinosaur, I'd be cool with that. Something like they uncovered the can during construction and all the genomes were mixed.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »
I'm hoping with my whole heart that those dinosaur visual effects aren't finished.

Honestly, I was more excited about this movie before I saw the trailer. Still excited though, only less so than before.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »
Well the park was kinda left in a mess after the first movie, so I would assume this is a way more futuristic version, probably rebuilt entirely, but possibly having a few nods to the original (like the gate).

Nothing about the plot details really bugs me. We have 3 movies already with the concept of going to the island, shit goes crazy and people are stuck there. If you're gonna make a 4th movie, you need to change things up. And so many of the changes are at least giving us something different. We don't have the explanations, and so jumping at the idea of trained raptors before knowing how they explain that in the context of the movie, feels a bit rushed. In one way I can buy it, because even if raptors are predators and dangerous, we have seen in real life how people have managed to tame some of the most dangerous animals. And this takes place in the future, so there might be even more ways of making it possible. If they are cheating with DNA and modifying the dinosaurs, they might have found a way to include something in the DNA to make the raptors easier to tame.

I've seen some people complain about the CGI, but I just think that's silly. CGI is always the last thing to get polished up and finished, and the "6-7 months until release" CGI is very different from the finished movie CGI. They gotta stick to their time table and release trailers, so the CGI is basically the best they have at this point, but not necessarily the best they will have for the finished movie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
Looks like it'll be a better story that the previous attempts at the sequals. I loved the ode' to ALIENS with the flare and rising doorway in the face of a very dangerous beast!! I think it looks good and man, Chris Pratt is having a good year!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
We don't have the explanations, and so jumping at the idea of trained raptors before knowing how they explain that in the context of the movie, feels a bit rushed. In one way I can buy it, because even if raptors are predators and dangerous, we have seen in real life how people have managed to tame some of the most dangerous animals. And this takes place in the future, so there might be even more ways of making it possible. If they are cheating with DNA and modifying the dinosaurs, they might have found a way to include something in the DNA to make the raptors easier to tame.

Oh, I'm not saying the training/taming of the dinosaurs wouldn't be possible. We can train anything we want. As humans we have proven that. But allowing two people to cruise around in a sphere under a brontosaurus just seems dumb to me.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
I've been following the development of the movie pretty close, and one of the main "angles" that they have been working with is that the park has not only been open and running for several years, but it has reached that state where they constantly need to push the limits to keep people engaged. And they have drawn parallels to how we as humans are always fascinated by certain things in life, only to take it for granted a short period of time later. So just seeing a Brontosaurus from behind a fence would not be engaging or interesting to these people anymore. They need to be interactive and soar in a sphere right next to the giant dinosaur, and even that will get boring after a while, once people start taking it for granted. Colin Trevorrow talked about an image of a T-Rex behind a fence and kids on the other side being bored and texting, because the whole "wonder" element disappears once you get used to something.

And this also plays right into the idea of why they would start tampering with the DNA and creating hybrids in the first place. If people start getting bored of seeing the same dinosaurs doing their usual routine, they need to push the limits and create something new and exciting, resulting in a dangerous hybrid. Think of a normal Zoo where you see the animals being caged and while the experience is exciting the first few times, you get used to it and even seeing something as exotic as a lion stops being exciting after a while. But in this case we're talking a Zoo full of extinct animals in dinosaurs, and if people get bored of something as fascinating as that, you're off to a really slippery dark road if you start tampering with forces you don't really understand.

While the execution of the concept remains to be seen if it will be proven good or bad, I think the idea is interesting and relate-able. You see it happen so often in life, especially with kids and youngsters. One day they want something so badly, and it means the whole world to them, and the next day it's thrown in the background and not very interesting at all, and I think humans are like that in many ways.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
One day they want something so badly, and it means the whole world to them, and the next day it's thrown in the background and not very interesting at all

You just described December 26th at my house the past 8 years...... :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:53:10 AM »
I've been following the development of the movie pretty close, and one of the main "angles" that they have been working with is that the park has not only been open and running for several years, but it has reached that state where they constantly need to push the limits to keep people engaged. And they have drawn parallels to how we as humans are always fascinated by certain things in life, only to take it for granted a short period of time later. So just seeing a Brontosaurus from behind a fence would not be engaging or interesting to these people anymore. They need to be interactive and soar in a sphere right next to the giant dinosaur, and even that will get boring after a while, once people start taking it for granted. Colin Trevorrow talked about an image of a T-Rex behind a fence and kids on the other side being bored and texting, because the whole "wonder" element disappears once you get used to something.

And this also plays right into the idea of why they would start tampering with the DNA and creating hybrids in the first place. If people start getting bored of seeing the same dinosaurs doing their usual routine, they need to push the limits and create something new and exciting, resulting in a dangerous hybrid. Think of a normal Zoo where you see the animals being caged and while the experience is exciting the first few times, you get used to it and even seeing something as exotic as a lion stops being exciting after a while. But in this case we're talking a Zoo full of extinct animals in dinosaurs, and if people get bored of something as fascinating as that, you're off to a really slippery dark road if you start tampering with forces you don't really understand.

While the execution of the concept remains to be seen if it will be proven good or bad, I think the idea is interesting and relate-able. You see it happen so often in life, especially with kids and youngsters. One day they want something so badly, and it means the whole world to them, and the next day it's thrown in the background and not very interesting at all, and I think humans are like that in many ways.

So, basically the plot twist at the end is that the "escape" of the hybrid is an elaborate setup to re-invigorate interest in the park? I hope not. Of course, that's just my wild speculation.  :justjen

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »
I can't help but get excited for this movie I just hope it's not a let down like the 3rd movie was. I'll be there at release though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »
BlackInk, what was wrong with the CGI? I mean, Dawn/Apes kind of spoiled me in the realistic aspect, but they're fuckin' dinosaurs, unless it's a child watching then any kind of dinosaur is gonna 'look fake'. I thought it looked fine; it wasn't on part with Dawn, but I don't think the actual tech looked like it was sub-par or anything. Other than that...I think I'm just over it. I might catch this as a rental or something but it's just all been done before, and the fact that they basically used a
SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR DINOSAUR FUCKERS

transparent, slightly (visually, anyway) modified T-rex (D-rex? Really?)

is kind of a tell that they're running out of ideas... I mean...fuckin' hell, you're making dinosaurs...and that's the best they came up with.

If I had kids (I might take my ladyfriend's kids to see this though...BROWNIE POINTS FUCKIN' A) this would be a lot more appealing but me, myself and I are pretty bored of the schtick and I feel like the trailer was pretty much what we're gonna get. The usual tropes, snarls, weird dino-sounds as they loom overhead and the eventual dino-battle between (apparently) two dinosaurs we've mostly already seen, albeit with a slightly modified look. I wanted something insane, something that was a dinosaur but looked like a demon. Alas, I suppose the marketing to the kiddies and mass appeal wouldn't work as well in that aspect.

Whatevs. I'll wait and see but I'm expecting more or less a mediocre re-tread with new effects.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »
looks like a big waste of time and money.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »
BlackInk, what was wrong with the CGI?

What's wrong with it is that there were more realistic looking dinosaurs in the first Jurassic Park movie, 21 years ago.

But as Zantera said above, given that there is more than half a year left to opening day, they are most likely not finished effects.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »
I still argue that the first movie's CGI is still some of the best to date.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »
The first one used a lot of mechanics and practical stuff though. I think it's worth it even if the mechanical dinosaur results in some unpredictability and causing some problems on set, it looks more real, because it is more real. Something you can actually physically see, something that's present on set during the filming will always come off as better looking IMO. It's not always that CGI looks bad, but when you can tell the characters are in front of a green screen and have no idea of what they are facing, the illusion breaks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »
I don't know, looks pretty fucking awesome to me. And they got lazy after Spielberg stepped down from the director's chair. The animatronics got worse, as did the CGI, but it looks pretty good to me here. Better looking CGI dinosaurs than King Kong, but they spent all their time and money on Kong anyway. My biggest complaint with JP3 was how fake the Spinosaurus looked anytime they switched to the animatronic. It looked like it was from the Universal ride. Such fluid motions when CGI, but then suddenly it's a cheap dinosaur museum robot with dead eyes, and only a moving head, and mouth.

Glad they finally got the scariest dinosaur that ever lived:

I do agree, they need to tweak the SFX a bit before release.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
BlackInk, what was wrong with the CGI?

What's wrong with it is that there were more realistic looking dinosaurs in the first Jurassic Park movie, 21 years ago.

But as Zantera said above, given that there is more than half a year left to opening day, they are most likely not finished effects.
I still argue that the first movie's CGI is still some of the best to date.

Funny, seconds ago I was browsing reddit and saw this:

https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2ndx0r/the_full_jurassic_world_trailer/cmcs22y

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »
Maybe I'm just tired or don't give that much of a shit. I don't think they look that bad but hey, all the better if they'll look even better when it releases. Cool stuff.

RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »
https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2ndx0r/the_full_jurassic_world_trailer/cmcs22y

That reads ... awful. With some many words, the guy essentially says "yeah, with Jurassic Park they had a vision. We don't have one, we're just on a schedule. We're just banging this one out."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »

That reads ... awful. With some many words, the guy essentially says "yeah, with Jurassic Park they had a vision. We don't have one, we're just on a schedule. We're just banging this one out."
You missed the part where he said "trailers typically aren't the final product."

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 05:43:55 PM »
But look at that picture you just posted. What's the difference? The second one has all the "modules" activated. It has the fake blur, the fake particle generator ... all gimmicky things that are designed to divert the attention from the fact that in essence, it still looks fake as hell.

So, sure, the new Jurrasic movie will run at a higher resolution. There will be more scenes with dinosaurs in it. But they still look fake as hell. Once they move a millimeter it's immediately clear they're just pasted in.
21 years later, and basically almost nothing has improved.
Or rather, they just booted the CGI machines, loaded up the dinosaur models and just went through the motions.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »
We can train anything we want.

You have obviously never spent much time around real women.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
But look at that picture you just posted. What's the difference? The second one has all the "modules" activated. It has the fake blur, the fake particle generator ... all gimmicky things that are designed to divert the attention from the fact that in essence, it still looks fake as hell.

So, sure, the new Jurrasic movie will run at a higher resolution. There will be more scenes with dinosaurs in it. But they still look fake as hell. Once they move a millimeter it's immediately clear they're just pasted in.
Or rather, they just booted the CGI machines, loaded up the dinosaur models and just went through the motions.

It's not gimmicks, it's basic compositing, which is a core process in integrating layers together in any scene. These same gimmicks were just as essential to the original Jurassic Park.

CG has come incredibly far in 21 years, and this stuff is much more complex than Jurassic Park. Almost every shot in the Jurassic World trailer would have been undoable in 1993 with CG, but they knew they couldn't do it, so they didn't. The close up CG shots with environmental interactions, dynamic particle effects, CG water, refractions through live action elements, complex matting, the CG allows them to do things that the original movie couldn't have done.

Jurassic Park's CG is antiquated by today's standards on a technical level, and when you can see it clearly, some of it is really bad, especially the daytime stuff (the brontosaurus shots near the start are terrible by today's standards, and the pack of whatever they are doesn't look good and relies on the motion blur and fast movement to look passable), but the reason it looks so good overall even today is because they knew how to play to their strengths and downplay their weaknesses. It was incredibly ambitious for the time, and still holds up well today, but there was a very low limit to what they could pull off believably, or even attempt with the computing power at the time.

It's well known that any scene involving close-ups and interactions with characters involved heavy use of animatronics and puppetry, which actually made up the majority of the dinosaur shots, more than most people realize. You won't see too many CG close-ups that let you scrutinize it too closely, and those are the ones that let it down. For most of the CG, they relied on these "gimmicks" to blend it into the scene well. The whole T-rex scene is in the dark fog covered in thick pissing rain. That's not just for mood! I can spot lots of limitations and flaws that would have made that scene look awful if done in daytime lighting, but in that specific situation, they managed to hide those flaws to the point it takes a 3D artist nerd like me to know what to look for. If that scene was done in the daytime without the fog and rain, it would have looked like total crap.

Jurassic Park is a landmark film in CG graphics and cinema in general, and it's unbelievable how well it holds up for its age, but it's because they knew what they couldn't do with the technology, and mostly avoided it. The few parts where the CG was upfront without anything to cover it up is where it doesn't look so great, and wouldn't make the grade of a weekly TV show today.
A lot of Jurassic Park may seem as good as what is being done today, but it's only because they limited themselves severely to what they knew they could do convincingly under very particular circumstances, which is a fraction of what is capable today, and used a lot more puppetry than people realize. We've become indifferent to 3D graphics in the past two decades due to its overuse, but Jurassic World's CG is actually much better than Jurassic Park's. It's less convincing due to excessiveness.

Sorry for the rant, but as a 3D artist, I couldn't help myself. :lol

All of that said, this movie looks lame. The reason the original worked so well is because it teased, and made a spectacle of the dinosaurs. This movie starts off with a level of indifference, which it seems does represent the audience well, but they don't seem to be doing enough to affect that indifference.
They should have taken the Jurassic Park/Godzilla approach, and taken it back to square one, and focused on making it more personal and believable, make a single dinosaur as imposing and impressive as it would be in real life. Focus on quality, not quantity.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »
There should be an end credits scene of Dr. Grant and Dr. Malcolm having a beer while watching the news, and Malcolm says,  "now that's chaos theory."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »
There should be an end credits scene of Dr. Grant and Dr. Malcolm having a beer while watching the news, and Malcolm says,  "now that's chaos theory."
They could include Hammond if they can find a mosquito with Richard Attenborough's DNA in it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
Interesting stuff, Blobby.

I agree with that last bit though so damn much. It wasn't the CGI that made me lose interest, it was everything else. Also for as much as I love Pratt, he seems so out of place and completely pigeonholed into this role; any lines he said felt so forced. I won't judge the entire movie off this trailer but I really have my doubts about me liking this any more than 'boring night when there's nothing else to watch movie'.

RIP DTP.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 12:33:58 AM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
Eh...
The internet tries way too fuckin' hard. So many horrible 'memes'.

RIP DTP.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 06:49:47 AM »
I had much greater hopes for this film than a tacky premise like "genetically modified super mutant dinosaur breaks loose". I could still like it, I could still love it, I suppose, but my expectations are fairly low now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:20 AM »
I don't know.  I'm not dying to see it, and I don't think we were in desperate need of another entry in the series.  But it might be good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »

It's not gimmicks, it's basic compositing, which is a core process in integrating layers together in any scene. These same gimmicks were just as essential to the original Jurassic Park.

That is my very point. It's been over 20 years of CGI, but in essence, a scene is still constructed by just layering different modules on top of each other, vs an integrated approach that would make it look much more natural.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
The whole T-rex scene is in the dark fog covered in thick pissing rain. That's not just for mood! I can spot lots of limitations and flaws that would have made that scene look awful if done in daytime lighting, but in that specific situation, they managed to hide those flaws to the point it takes a 3D artist nerd like me to know what to look for. If that scene was done in the daytime without the fog and rain, it would have looked like total crap.

Wow, I had not even realized that.  What makes it even more cool and genius is that the rain, fog, and darkness DOES fit the mood perfectly.  Really awesome that they did it that way.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
The whole T-rex scene is in the dark fog covered in thick pissing rain. That's not just for mood! I can spot lots of limitations and flaws that would have made that scene look awful if done in daytime lighting, but in that specific situation, they managed to hide those flaws to the point it takes a 3D artist nerd like me to know what to look for. If that scene was done in the daytime without the fog and rain, it would have looked like total crap.

Wow, I had not even realized that.  What makes it even more cool and genius is that the rain, fog, and darkness DOES fit the mood perfectly.  Really awesome that they did it that way.
You mean, the lost art of competent filmmaking?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
Well...actually, yeah.  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »

This scene is taken from Crichton's Lost World novel BTW.

Definitely excited, but agree Pratt isn't the guy for this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »
Jaws, Jurassic Park. Tremors.

It's so hard to make a truly great monster movie.

What others are there ?

EDIT : Forgot about Alien.