Poll

Their most recent album to date: Which of these songs wins YOUR vote?

Along for the Ride
Behind the Veil
The Bigger Picture
The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
False Awakening Suite
Illumination Theory
The Looking Glass
Surrender to Reason

Author Topic: The Last in the Series>Dream theater #12-  (Read 7179 times)

Offline Sourcegamer101

Re: The Last in the Series>Dream theater #12-
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
illumination theory is epic, but i really like the bigger picture, it has a meaningful message that is relevant to any creative person, and when i took a good listen at the bridge after the solo, that's when the song truly clicked for me

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
Judging from the current amount of votes for Enigma Machine (0), I guess it just doesn't measure up to the rest of the album xD

It's a shame too because the instrumental was highly anticipated after not seeing one for 10 years (SoC - ToT).
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
Judging from the current amount of votes for Enigma Machine (0), I guess it just doesn't measure up to the rest of the album xD

It's a shame too because the instrumental was highly anticipated after not seeing one for 10 years (SoC - ToT).

Yes, a shame.  I think everyone (myself included) was expecting something along the lines of SoC or DoE.  What we got was quite different.  I don't dislike it, just not what I was hoping for.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »

I'd say it's more like the rest of the album is so amazing, that even though it's their second best instrumental, it's still overshadowed by everything else.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »

I'd say it's more like the rest of the album is so amazing, that even though it's their second best instrumental, it's still overshadowed by everything else.

The only way Enigma Machine is their second best instrumental is if they only had two instrumentals. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2014, 10:52:20 AM »
The only way Enigma Machine is their second best instrumental is if they only had two instrumentals. :P

The Dance of Eternity and Enigma Machine... The only two that matter.  :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
Enigma Machine is a very soulless and dull instrumental track.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »
I disagree.  In fact, I'm not sure what so many people have against it.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
It's pretty much Raw Dog 2.0 for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
It's pretty much Raw Dog 2.0 for me.
I don't see that at all.  It is much more cohesive and energetic than Raw Dog, which is just a Frankenstein's Monster of leftover crap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
I don't see that at all.  It is much more cohesive and energetic than Raw Dog, which is just a Frankenstein's Monster of leftover crap.

This.

And honestly, even with Raw Dog, while I don't really like it all that much, it's mostly because I don't think it consists of very good riffs and ideas, but there are still enough of them there that I can't in good conscience call it "dull".
And even more so with Enigma Machine. I can't fathom how someone can call it dull at all, let alone in comparison to songs like Hell's Kitchen or SOC which I'd say wander a lot closer to the realm of "dull". And even then, not even.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
I think both Hell's Kitchen and SoC are excellent instrumental tracks. Miles and miles above Enigma Machine and Raw Dog, which both seemed so as-fast-as-possible and without-any-heart produced. They're like the McDonald's cheeseburgers of DT's music.

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »
I think both Hell's Kitchen and SoC are excellent instrumental tracks. Miles and miles above Enigma Machine and Raw Dog, which both seemed so as-fast-as-possible and without-any-heart produced. They're like the McDonald's cheeseburgers of DT's music.

Enigma Machine focuses on technicality. What's wrong with that? Are you gonna say that The Dance of Eternity has no soul either?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2014, 12:14:56 PM »
Enigma Machine focuses on technicality. What's wrong with that?

Well, it has to be done right. They can't just blame a failed track on technicality, I don't accept that.

Are you gonna say that The Dance of Eternity has no soul either?

The Dance of Eternity, while not at all my favorite instrumental track, shows infinitely more soul than Enigma Machine and Raw Dog. That is definetely a 'focus on technicality' instrumental done right.

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
Well, it has to be done right. They can't just blame a failed track on technicality, I don't accept that.

And I don't accept that it's a failed track. Stop associating it with Raw Dog, lol. That's like me associating Metropolis with Light Fuse and Get Away.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »

And I don't accept that it's a failed track. Stop associating it with Raw Dog, lol. That's like me associating Metropolis with Light Fuse and Get Away.

And then someone comes in and asks "What's wrong with "Light Fuse And Get Away"? :lol

This could go on for WEEKS as everyone defends a song they like against someone who dislikes that song. Unless that song is "You Not Me".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
And then someone comes in and asks "What's wrong with "Light Fuse And Get Away"? :lol

This could go on for WEEKS as everyone defends a song they like against someone who dislikes that song. Unless that song is "You Not Me".

-Marc.

Eh. I know Enigma Machine is amazing. Screw the nay sayers. I got a ton of enjoyment out of it, they didn't. So who's happier in the end?   :hat

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »
Stop associating it with Raw Dog, lol. That's like me associating Metropolis with Light Fuse and Get Away.

Well, I'm not really making the connection because they sound alike, it's more because they are both tracks I don't enjoy and they are both instrumentals.

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »
Well, I'm not really making the connection because they sound alike, it's more because they are both tracks I don't enjoy and they are both instrumentals.

Well, same for Metropolis and Light Fuse. My point is that one is amazing, the other one is among DT's worst, so they shouldn't be lumped together, lol.

Why? You think Metropolis and Light Fuse sound alike?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »
To be honest, I don't know LFaGA all that well. But if I remember correctly it ended up at the very bottom of all DT's tracks the last time I did my rankings. So in terms of quality of both sound and the music itself, no, Metropolis is obviously so far above it's not even comparable. But in terms of type or style of music, I suppose they aren't that different. Not more than Enigma Machina and Raw Dog.

« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
I think it's the same as saying, Metropolis has that flavor of "old DT" to it, that certain sound that early DT songs had before Awake. It certainly shares it although in a very refined way, and Raw Dog and Enigma Machine share the riffage style that JP has been doing lately, but yeah, either way, I wasn't referring to sound, I was comparing quality. So I may as well have compared Metropolis to You Not Me, as an analogy for comparing Enigma Machine to Raw Dog.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »
Yeah, maybe I need to listen to Raw Dog again to get that comparison.

Nah, I'm not doing that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 02:09:37 PM »

So is your face.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »
Oh, and what's wrong with Light Fuse And Get Away?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »
Oh, and what's wrong with Light Fuse And Get Away?
I'm not sure that there is all that much wrong with it.

But there isn't that much right with it, either, IMHO.

But I would never compare it with Raw Dog.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
Well, Raw Dog ain't good, but it's at least better than LFaGA.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 03:00:19 PM »
Well, Raw Dog ain't good, but it's at least better than LFaGA.
Oh, I strongly disagree.  It's not better than anything, other than maybe cancer.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »
Light Fuse and Get Away is a great song. Probably second best from WDADU.

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »

So is your face.

Is it bad that when I read that comment originally, I actually wanted to reply with, "Your face is a very soulless and dull instrumental track"?

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »

I'd say it's more like the rest of the album is so amazing, it's overshadowed by everything else.

This is pretty much how I feel too. I like the song a lot, it gets stuck in my head on a regular basis, but I like a few others on the album more.. namely IT.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
Light Fuse and Get Away is a great song. Probably second best from WDADU.

Probably...except according to chaossystem's definitive DTF Poll, LFAGA is the 6th best song based on DTF's votes! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2014, 05:31:49 AM »

I completely agree, The slow bit is so incredibly forced, It's almost as if they wrote the song and added the slow bit in at the end of a random passage. I'd say the best part about it is the animation  :P the best instrumental for me is TDOE or Erotomania

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2014, 06:25:27 AM »

I completely agree, The slow bit is so incredibly forced, It's almost as if they wrote the song and added the slow bit in at the end of a random passage. I'd say the best part about it is the animation  :P the best instrumental for me is TDOE or Erotomania

When watched (attended) EM live, with MM's solo inserted therein, my whole perception changed and it really clicked.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2014, 06:43:05 AM »
I disagree.  In fact, I'm not sure what so many people have against it.
This. It was my favorite song off DT12 the first time I listened to the album (I had to rewind it and listen to it again instantly) and it still holds up well.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2014, 06:56:33 AM »

When watched (attended) EM live, with MM's solo inserted therein, my whole perception changed and it really clicked.

I enjoyed MM's solo, but the EM still didn't click with me. I think it's just that slow bit with the guitar solo, It really doesn't fit in at all.