Poll

Do any of these tracks really STAND OUT for you...?...

Larks Tongues in Aspic, part 2
4 (6%)
Queen Medley
26 (38.8%)
Stargazer
21 (31.3%)
Odyssey
5 (7.5%)
To Tame a Land
4 (6%)
Take Your Fingers From My Hair
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Black Clouds & Silver Linings, Part Two: The Covers-listed from oldest to newest  (Read 5042 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
I don't really expect any of these songs to be among anyone's all-time favorites, or on a "best-of" list, but I knew that if I didn't give everyone an opportunity to vote on these songs, someone would inevitably say something like "Why didn't you?"
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline The Letter M

The Queen songs, although Stargazer and Odyssey are both amazing, too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I had to vote for the Queen medley also.  I was really, really impressed with James' vocals on those tracks.  I really didn't think he could do it.  But they're all great.  I listen to the covers more than the DT songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I don't really expect any of these songs to be among anyone's all-time favorites, or on a "best-of" list, but I knew that if I didn't give everyone an opportunity to vote on these songs, someone would inevitably say something like "Why didn't you?"
I don't think anyone would have said that.  They are just covers.

But I went with the Queen medley as well, although I like all of them a lot other than the Iron Maiden song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tim van Duijn

Yeah absolutely. The Queen medley does it for me. And James Labrie is doing an AWESOME job on that one too.

Offline Tim van Duijn

I'd go for The Shattered Fortress because it's so complete to me. And it's also the concluding part of the 12 step suite. The whole 12 step suite is filled with awesome lyrics. Normally i would say The Count Of Tuscany (hell, that piece made me cry when i saw DT for the first time, also first concert i ever attended) but The Shattered Fortress feels more complete.

A Nightmare to Remember is a song i don't listen to that often, i might spin that one a few times this week and maybe it changes.

Sorry, wrong topic..

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
You can edit your posts.

Offline Tim van Duijn

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I only listened to the covers once and can't recall what I liked the best.  The chances of me going back to listen to those covers just for the sake of this poll is highly unlikely.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
The only ones I care about are To Tame A Land and Stargazer.

Offline krands85

Stargazer was always my favourite, though I haven't listened to these covers for ages.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Skeever

Queen medley is the closest that any of 'em come to being as good as the originals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Stargazer.

TTAL is awful.  They should have re-recorded that at the same time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Rodni Demental

They'll all great. I honestly wish DT would do more polished studio covers like this but too bad I'm probably in a minority that would want more of this. The other 'uncovered' live releases were also fantastic but we obviously won't be getting more of those unless the band actually played covers which they're not really interested in doing at the moment.

Anyway I picked To Tame A Land. But could have easily picked Queen Medley or Rainbow. Even the instrumentals have grown on me and are quite fun once you they become more familiar.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The Queen one was great, but I went with Stargazer, because I just prefer it to listen to. Both of those are pretty big shoes to fill vocally too, Mercury and Dio, and JLB does admirably on both.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CharlesPL

Odyssey- Today's selection.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
The Queen Medley, although Stargazer is awesome too.
I have to say though, Take Your Fingers from My Hair is one of JLB's finest performances ever.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Stargazer

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Didn't think so many people would agree with me on that one!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline The Nameless One

Can't pick one, Stargazer and To Tame A Land both stand out for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
TTAL is awful.  They should have re-recorded that at the same time.

I wouldn't call it awful, but I agree. If it had been recorded in the Black Clouds sesions, it would've been far more powerful. Especially the vocals.

James' vocals steal the show on this covers disc. It is living proof of how underutilized he is in DT. His performance on the Queen medley, Stargazer, and TYFFMH is nothing short of extraordinary.

Oh, and Lark Toungues is a fuc#ing waste of disc space. With apologies to the KC fans here, WTF is the point of that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rodni Demental

I have to say though, Take Your Fingers from My Hair is one of JLB's finest performances ever.

Fine permanence, I'll give you that. Very impressive aswell actually but I must admit, it takes some getting used to hearing James screech at the top of his lung "baybeh, baybeh,<enter MP with fallseto> baybeh, baybeh.. baybeh". Yeah.  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Stargazer or Queen.

Queen. By a Freddie Mercury Mustache Hair
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Fine permanence, I'll give you that. Very impressive aswell actually but I must admit, it takes some getting used to hearing James screech at the top of his lung "baybeh, baybeh,<enter MP with fallseto> baybeh, baybeh.. baybeh". Yeah.  :lol

Yeah, but even MP's backup vocals on those covers were more enjoyable than what we got on most of the main album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Oh, and Lark Toungues is a fuc#ing waste of disc space. With apologies to the KC fans here, WTF is the point of that?
Dammit TAC.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

WTF? That's an amazing cover, I love every bit of it and I usually hate covers.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

WTF? That's an amazing cover, I love every bit of it and I usually hate covers.

The cover is great. I think he's just saying he hates the song itself.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Why wouldn't you expect that?  I listen to the covers disk as much if not more than the main album.  I like the main album a fair amount (not one of the people who dislike the last two MP albums; I listen to them a lot), but the covers album is EXCELLENT and IS among my all-time favorites. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Definitely the Queen medley.

Overall though, I wish DT didn't treat covers as an exercise in mimicry, but rather in interpretation.
Like, the Queen medley is incredibly well done, but when I feel like listening to the song I'd rather listen to the original, since there really is no compositional difference between the two.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Definitely the Queen medley.

Overall though, I wish DT didn't treat covers as an exercise in mimicry, but rather in interpretation.
Like, the Queen medley is incredibly well done, but when I feel like listening to the song I'd rather listen to the original, since there really is no compositional difference between the two.

While I agree with you, and I think it'd be awesome if they had interpreted their covers a little differently, the way they did with Gangland on the Number of the Beast CD, when it comes to their covers, even though there are no compositional differences to the vast majority of them, in most cases, I'd still rather listen to the DT versions. Especially Darkside of the Moon, the original album does very little for me. At least DT's has JLB on vocals.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Really? The fact that you hear the rendition of the people who created the song has no additional value to you?
Like, let's assume for a second that JLB's vocals were superior to Freddie's (which they really aren't). Even in that case, it would have to be a LOT better to counteract the fact that they're just mimicking somebody else's work.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Really? The fact that you hear the rendition of the people who created the song has no additional value to you?
Like, let's assume for a second that JLB's vocals were superior to Freddie's (which they really aren't). Even in that case, it would have to be a LOT better to counteract the fact that they're just mimicking somebody else's work.

Well, DT's version of the Queen medley does have a bit of a heavier edge to it. Maybe it's the mix, of the instruments, or the recording equipment, whatever it is, it's still very enjoyable, and when I'm in the mood for something with a little more oomph to it, I definitely prefer DT's version of that particular song. Same with Stargazer.

But honestly, with Pink Floyd, I think Roger Waters is one of the most unremarkable singers ever. Like, he's not bad, he's not good, there are some songs where he has a bit of a pretty cool swagger to his style, but all in all, I generally find him pretty boring to listen to. Floyd's instrumentation were pretty great, though. But even then, I don't think Dark Side is that amazing of an album. The Wall IMO is far superior. There are still some interesting moments on Dark Side, but between not being my favorite album, and Roger Waters not being a vocalist I'm all that fond of, given the choice, I enjoy DT's version of Dark Side a lot more.

With Number of the Beast, it really depends on my mood. But sometimes I simply feel like listening to JLB doing Maiden. Or Deep Purple, or whatever else we got on the Uncovered CD. I'm not that big of a fan of Ozzy either (I like him, but not that much), so in most cases, I'd rather listen to DT's version of Diary of a Madman.

When it comes to Master of Puppets though... Yeah, no... James just can't do any kind of justice to James Hetfield's particular style, haha.  :lol Or at least, what we ended up getting on the official bootleg, he didn't pull it off very well at all. But I'm not a very big fan of Metallica, or their Master of Puppets album, so I rare listen to either version.

But anyway, yeah, in most cases, I really enjoy their covers, but yeah, it would be cool if they dould have reorchestrated them a little. The problem is that DT is a very versatile band when it comes to styles, so doing the covers in their original style, it's not like I can even say, "Well, that's not like DT do play that soft, or that heavy," because they do traverse both ends of the spectrum, and do acoustic stuff, and piano ballads, etc. So it's not like having a band with a very narrow and particular sound like Disturbed doing their style's versions of these songs.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

I don't see why. I'm not going to claim DT created the song, but if I like their version better, why should I feel any obligation to listen to a version I consider inferior?

Though as I said before I'm not a fan of DT's covers, this is just a general comment.

Offline Rodni Demental

To Tame a Land might not be the most popular track here, but who's heard the original? It's a bit of a drunken mess if you ask me, but the DT version is tight and very coherent. I think that's what's strong about all the the covers is that they're well played, even if mostly replicating the original work, I'd say they play a lot of the material (but not always) better than the originals, and the band as a unit has got a much tighter hold on the timing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I chose Stargazer because JLB is on fire there, but really they are all fantastic and well done.  I could have voted other ways, but Stargazer I think edges them.

To Tame a Land might not be the most popular track here, but who's heard the original? It's a bit of a drunken mess if you ask me, but the DT version is tight and very coherent.

Wut? The IM version is amazing, not sure how its a drunken mess.