3 (3.5%)
Perfect Strangers
3 (3.5%)
Led Zeppelin Medley
1 (1.2%)
The Big Medley
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: A Change of Seasons / Uncovered  (Read 3416 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
A Change of Seasons / Uncovered
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
I know! I know!

The outcome of this one is pretty predictable, but I wanted to make it "democratic."

Besides, I thought it might be fun to see which of the "also-rans" would get the most-if any-votes.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online Sycsa

Re: A Change of Seasons / Uncovered
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 03:59:39 AM »
Maybe would have been more interesting if you excluded ACOS and included the BCSL covers.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:52:24 AM »
This is going to be predictable.

But I voted for Perfect Strangers. JLB's vocals on that track always made that the most enjoyable part of the EP for me. I don't really listen to any of them anymore though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:54:37 AM »
Maybe would have been more interesting if you excluded ACOS
This completely.

As it stands, I went with ACOS hands down.  As good as the other stuff is, it's only covers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:18:35 AM »
A Change of Seasons.

I did discover FfaF/LLB through this version though, and I absolutely love it!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:30:45 AM by RoeDent »

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:01:14 AM »
...seriously?  :facepalm:

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:29:46 AM »
A Change of Seasons

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »
I think I only listened to the covers once. I'm not really a fan of DT's covers.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
It's really a shame that, to my knowledge, "Turn it on again" is the only time they covered Genesis. I think I would die if they ever covered "Domino". They could lift the song to a new level I think.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »
The only way A Change of Seasons won't win by a landslide is if you put it up against songs like Metropolis and Octavarium. Speaking of the latter, you're gonna see a similar result to this when you do that album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
Not Necessarily.

I've been surprised a FEW times.

Songs that I expected to be WAY ahead are just barely-if at all-maintaining a lead.

Songs that I didn't think would get many votes at all have gotten quite a few.

There are songs in the lead that I NEVER would have expected.

And several songs that I thought would have been a LOT more popular have been almost-and sometimes completely-ignored.

A good example would be that "Pull Me Under," while I didn't automatically expect it to be the "#1" I&W song, it didn't get NEARLY the number of votes that I thought it would.
At least not so far.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
It's really a shame that, to my knowledge, "Turn it on again" is the only time they covered Genesis. I think I would die if they ever covered "Domino". They could lift the song to a new level I think.

Also "Home by the Sea," "In the Cage" "Fading Lights" " and many others.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »
Well.. By not picking the obvious. I'm gonna go with Perfect Strangers, that one has really grown on me over time, and the version on this EP is one of the better versions. I also like The Big Medley because I love the the first 3 or 4 songs, it's the last ones that I'm not as big a fan of so it kind drags this one down after a strong start, still great covers.

For what it's worth, I think the worst part has to be the Led Zeppelin Medley. See, I'm not that familiar with Led Zeppelin as it is, but I know enough of them to appreciate their significance and relevance to rock music. Now, I've always though DT are great at covers, sometimes taking the music above and beyond the originals in some cases. But I'm not feelin' the Led Zeppelin cover. Something's a bit off in these ones, I dunno if anyone else feels this way about them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:30:14 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
If you want to talk worst tune, this is jarring to say the least:

winter (tori amos cover) dream theater: https://youtu.be/_zyMCxNTlFQ

Particularly from 1:30 on.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 12:26:36 AM »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »
ACOS is a no-brainer here.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:47 AM »

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 03:08:19 AM »
First I thought that it was another (yes, another one...) a "not so essentiel" thread created by chaossystem (he creates threads for make a living!! :lol), but the results of the poll are very interesting in a way...  :corn

The fact that, for some fans, ACOS is not the favorite track of this EP is beyond comprehension to me.  :justjen
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »
FFAF/LLB is freaking awesome. I get that DT are heavily ionfluenced by Deep Purple, but I never understood why they picked Perfect Strangers to cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »
Not Necessarily.

Songs that I expected to be WAY ahead are just barely-if at all-maintaining a lead.

And several songs that I thought would have been a LOT more popular have been almost-and sometimes completely-ignored.

A good example would be that "Pull Me Under," while I didn't automatically expect it to be the "#1" I&W song, it didn't get NEARLY the number of votes that I thought it would.
At least not so far.

But honestly, the ONLY reason you are surprised is because you did not bother to read the forum and see that these results are pretty consistent with the million other times these kinds of polls have been done, and you therefore made poor, uninformed assumptions based on your failure to do your homework.  There isn't really much that is surprising about the results of any of these polls.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »
Not Necessarily.

At least not so far.

But honestly, the ONLY reason you are surprised is because you did not bother to read the forum and see that these results are pretty consistent with the million other times these kinds of polls have been done, and you therefore made poor, uninformed assumptions based on your failure to do your homework.  There isn't really much that is surprising about the results of any of these polls.

I agree - DT fans favor longer tracks, the more complex stuff, songs with multiple movements, moods and changes. It's what gets DT fans excited, and I think that's what many fans choose at their favorites. Whether or not you view it as a positive or negative stereotype, it's one that exists within the Prog (and possibly Metal) genre(s), and I don't see it changing much.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline adamack

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
ACOS of course.

But let me take this opportunity to say that Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is FAR AND AWAY my absolute favorite DT cover ever. It may just be my favorite cover by any band. As someone who had never heard the original before hearing DT's version, this version rocks.

James sounds amazing on it. As do JP and Derek.

Perfect Strangers is also a great cover.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »
Not Necessarily.

At least not so far.

I agree - DT fans favor longer tracks, the more complex stuff, songs with multiple movements, moods and changes. It's what gets DT fans excited, and I think that's what many fans choose at their favorites. Whether or not you view it as a positive or negative stereotype, it's one that exists within the Prog (and possibly Metal) genre(s), and I don't see it changing much.

-Marc.

You both might be right about that.

But I was basing my "assumptions" on a lot more than just what I have been reading on this forum in the last few months.

There have been other (though I admit mostly internet) sources going back YEARS, not just months.