Poll

Which of these do you like  most or think is the best?

Another Won
Cover My Eyes
Don't Look Past Me
Raise the Knife
Raw Dog
Speak to Me
To Live Forever
The Way it Used to Be
Eve

Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Non-Album Track???  (Read 3282 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: What is Your Favorite Non-Album Track???
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
If you don't know them, why would you start a poll about them?

All of the songs in this poll are the ones that I DO know.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »

I think what he means is, why would you start a poll that, at face values, looks like it SHOULD encompass *all* of the non-album tracks, when it only includes just the ones you personally know?

It would be like if someone came on here and posted a poll "What's your favorite DT album?" and only posted the 7 or 8 they knew, perhaps not having ever listened to WDADU or FII, or even TOT and 8VM. Including only albums they knew wouldn't really be indicative of the poll's question.

If you had worded the original poll's question as being "What is your favorite non-album DT song of these choices", then it would be less confusing. However, there are only so many DT non-album tracks that many of us here would consider including, mostly ACOS, "Raw Dog", and the 8 songs from Cleaning Out The Closet, making a total of 10 tracks, which, isn't a HUGE amount, and is less than the number of tracks on Awake, FII, SFAM and SDOIT. Many of us would also consider placing "Another Won" with its fellow Majesty Demos tracks, since that's where it originates from.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 03:34:07 PM »
There's no way I can please everybody.
Sure there is.  If you post a poll titled "What is Your Favorite Non-Album Track???" you could list ALL of the non-album tracks as options.  This is not difficult, it's not like there is an infinite number of them.

I've seen other polls where I wish there were better options, as well.
So you decided to post a poll just like those?  Again, it's not like you couldn't just list all of them.

I mostly went with songs that I was familiar with, or that I knew were favorites of a lot of people on here.

But I wasn't going to make the list any longer, in part because that just causes more confusion.
A complete list of options never causes confusion.  I don't even understand what you are talking about.

How many of them ARE there? I don't even have a guess.

If you feel that way about it, then why don't YOU track down all of those songs, compile a list, and start a poll or thread of your OWN about it???

Here comes my favourite (not) argument in the Internet discussion ever. It's like:

- how can you say this food tastes like shit? If you feel that way about it, then why don't YOU cook instead of that restaurant chief next time?
- how can you say this music is unlistenable? If you feel that way about it, then why don't YOU go and record some album?
- how can you say this fuselage drawing is shit and not up to international standards? If you feel that way about it, then why don't YOU draw it?

Bloody pathetic.

And, eh, start a poll? It's not like DT section needs any more polls at that moment, really.

Sorry, just had to get this out.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »

I think what he means is, why would you start a poll that, at face values, looks like it SHOULD encompass *all* of the non-album tracks, when it only includes just the ones you personally know?

It would be like if someone came on here and posted a poll "What's your favorite DT album?" and only posted the 7 or 8 they knew, perhaps not having ever listened to WDADU or FII, or even TOT and 8VM. Including only albums they knew wouldn't really be indicative of the poll's question.

If you had worded the original poll's question as being "What is your favorite non-album DT song of these choices", then it would be less confusing. However, there are only so many DT non-album tracks that many of us here would consider including, mostly ACOS, "Raw Dog", and the 8 songs from Cleaning Out The Closet, making a total of 10 tracks, which, isn't a HUGE amount, and is less than the number of tracks on Awake, FII, SFAM and SDOIT. Many of us would also consider placing "Another Won" with its fellow Majesty Demos tracks, since that's where it originates from.

-Marc.

I tried to change the wording, but I couldn't.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »

Thing is, it's really close. You're missing like 1 song. Maybe 2? (any more than that would be starting to get picky and choosing songs not everyone would even consider anyway). But the way I see it, Where are you Now is as relevant as all the songs on the list. Your Majesty is is kinda an official DT track now as it's been played live a few times and was on the original Lifting Shadows companion CD. Finally, you could debate You Or Me as a different song, it seems to be treated that way but now we're just getting padantic. :P

Anyway, tough call between Raise the Knife, To Live Forever, Eve. I'd even consider Another Won, but went with The Way it Used to Be.

For the record, imo Don't Look Past Me is probably the most boring song here. It's a kinda neat track in it's own regard, but I think that's cause it's a novelty track in the DT library. I don't listen to it very often and I don't really choose to put it on, but I'll listen if it comes on by itself.  :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 06:40:28 PM »
Im glad someone agrees with me about "the Way it Used to Be' being better than "Don't Look Past Me."
At least I'm not the ONLY one who sees it that way.

Also, I would have included "Bombay Vindaloo," but it's another one that I forgot.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »
^^^ It probably wouldn't have done very well, Bombay feels more like a somewhat incomplete Jam that doesn't quite go anywhere. It's not bad but its barely a song, or maybe I need to hear it again but that's the impression I remember having of it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
I wouldn't have included Bombay Vindaloo. It wasn't a song that they wrote and recorded /demoed, it was a live jam thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 07:56:17 AM »
Voted Raise the Knife but Where are you now would have gotten my vote...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »
"Cover My Eyes" is my favorite DT song of all time, so that gets my vote.  "To Live Forever" is up there too, as is "Raise The Knife" and "Eve".

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
Voted Raise the Knife but Where are you now would have gotten my vote...

love Derek's solo on that track.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »

Thing is, it's really close. You're missing like 1 song. Maybe 2? (any more than that would be starting to get picky and choosing songs not everyone would even consider anyway). But the way I see it, Where are you Now is as relevant as all the songs on the list. Your Majesty is is kinda an official DT track now as it's been played live a few times and was on the original Lifting Shadows companion CD. Finally, you could debate You Or Me as a different song, it seems to be treated that way but now we're just getting padantic. :P

Anyway, tough call between Raise the Knife, To Live Forever, Eve. I'd even consider Another Won, but went with The Way it Used to Be.

For the record, imo Don't Look Past Me is probably the most boring song here. It's a kinda neat track in it's own regard, but I think that's cause it's a novelty track in the DT library. I don't listen to it very often and I don't really choose to put it on, but I'll listen if it comes on by itself.  :lol

I'll take SOME of the blame for this, but:

When I first said "non-album tracks" I was thinking about ANY of DT's music that wasn't on one of their "official" full-length albums (with the exception of ACoS) in other words, anything that wasn't on the TWELVE albums that most people know about,
I wanted to include what I at least thought was a good listing of somewhat better-known songs that were NOT on any of those albums.
When I started getting told that my list of choices wasn't long or inclusive enough, I started thinking it was meant that I was supposed to include things such as the "Majesty" demos, ALL of the unreleased songs from the FII sessions, any studio recordings that are or were only available from the YtseJam web-site, fan club discs, and only GOD knows what else.

Or-to put it still ANOTHER way-I was referring to songs that were NOT on albums (Excluding live albums and the "Greatest Hit" collection) that you used to be-and sometimes still can-purchase at a any of your local record stores. Or that can be ordered from a "mainstream" online service such as Amazon.

So now I hope I've explained what I was going for, and I apologize for any and all misunderstandings.

..And YES, Hef, that means you too...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
I would use the back of the 2006 anniversary shirt as a reference guide.  It lists all the songs DT wrote from inception through 2006, so I would imagine it is a sanctioned, if not official, listing.  It includes the Majesty demos, School Song, Resurrection of Ernie and even Bombay Vindaloo.  It does not includes the various one-off jams, no surprise there.  Anyway, thought it would help to point this out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
I would use the back of the 2006 anniversary shirt as a reference guide.  It lists all the songs DT wrote from inception through 2006, so I would imagine it is a sanctioned, if not official, listing.  It includes the Majesty demos, School Song, Resurrection of Ernie and even Bombay Vindaloo.  It does not includes the various one-off jams, no surprise there.  Anyway, thought it would help to point this out.

True, but those are unfinished demos and a live jam. I doubt anyone would seriously consider them as Non-album tracks. Right? I guess if they included "Bombay Vindaloo", I'm sure "Another Hand" was there as well, which isn't so much a song as it is a segue between two songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 12:47:34 AM »

True, but those are unfinished demos and a live jam. I doubt anyone would seriously consider them as Non-album tracks. Right? I guess if they included "Bombay Vindaloo", I'm sure "Another Hand" was there as well, which isn't so much a song as it is a segue between two songs.

-Marc.

Another Hand IS actually on the shirt.  It's placed among the I&W tracks.  Whoever assembled that t-shirt (MP?) considered them DT "compositions," incomplete or otherwise. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:10:28 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline The Nameless One

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »
Eve! What a Beautiful song!