15 (15%)
Take the Time
10 (10%)
Under a Glass Moon
4 (4%)
Wait for Sleep
3 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Your Favorite "Images and Words" Song.  (Read 3818 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Your Favorite "Images and Words" Song.
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »
So I still mess up once in a while.

But I'm not that worried about it.

I was mostly concerned about answering the question.

I think I got the point across.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »
-I'm even a little surprised that "Wait for Sleep" so far has gotten ONE vote. I figure people who only like "that" kind of music probably wouldn't listen to Dream Theater.

I'm not entirely sure by what you mean when you say "only like 'that' kind of music" because the poll asks which of the 8 songs on IAW do you like most, or which is your favorite. Just because you like ONE song out of 8 doesn't mean that person or those people specifically love ALL music that sounds like that one song.

I picked "Learning To Live", but I don't like all music that sounds exclusively like "that" song. Seems a bit presumptuous to say that about a DT fan.

-Marc.

Mellower songs.

Shorter songs.

Piano-driven ballads.

Songs lacking in heavy guitar and/or percussion and/or heavy organ/synthesizer parts and/or a heavy bass line/bass solo and/or screaming vocal parts.
The majority of DT songs has at least ONE of the above

FTFY :tup

Anyways, I understand what you're trying to say, but I think within the context of the album, someone might find the ballad's beauty to be very touching, something that affects them personally. For that reason, that particular song might be their favorite, even among epic giants like "Metropolis" or "Learning To Live". This shouldn't be highly indicative of their over-all tastes in music.

Likewise, I picked "The Spirit Carries On" in your SFAM poll, but I love "Home" and "Finally Free" just as much. I just enjoy the Floydian groove and spirit behind TSCO, it's very emotionally moving and beautiful to me. On the other hand, for an album like SDOIT, I picked the epic title track, because like most prog, the long, complex and complicated epics are some of my favorites on their respective albums. Do I like EVERY DT epic they've ever done? More than likely, but that's not to say that I love each epic in the context of an album. Look at your FII poll - I'm sure many expected the epic closer "Trial Of Tears" to get a TON of votes, but the other long song has more.

And I think a lot of people who come to Dream Theater often venture from other progressive bands. I came to them after Rush, hearing how their earlier work was influenced by them, especially WDADU. When I got the band's first three albums, I fell in love with them, and ventured forward through their discography all the way up to the then-current album Live At Budokan. Every aspect of their music caught my attention - the heavy guitars, the amazing vocals, the speedy keyboard solos, the intense drumming, the melodic bass playing - everything came together, and it wasn't just ONE type of music! It was ballads, it was straight rock, it was mind-bending prog, it was sometimes jazzy, or jammy, or anything in-between! But it was all amazing music to me. I don't think many fans come to Dream Theater with just ONE type of music in mind and expecting all of their music to sound like that. Granted, there have been exceptions like Train of Thought, which was conceptualized as a classic-sounding metal album (in the vein of Metallica and Iron Maiden).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
I'm not sure why someone would make the presumption that someone who likes Wait For Sleep only likes that kind of music. It's entirely possible to like more than one type of music.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
Take the Time, easily.

But even my least favorite song on this album would make my top 50.  The whole album is amazing. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »
It's entirely possible to like more than one type of music.
Wait, what?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 06:42:39 AM »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 07:08:25 AM »
Well, it IS possible to like more than one type of music, so long as the other types sound just like the music I like.

Wait, what?

That said, my favorite from I&W is Surrounded.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:29 AM »
Metropolis would be my favorite from I&W, tough call between that and Learning to Live though.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 07:51:49 AM »
Metropolis

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
Very surprised that Under A Glass Moon is the only song without a vote thus far!

I'm not; it is easily the weakest on the album.

I never got the semi-hate for Under a Glass Moon. It's a fantastic song (every song on I&W is really), and the weakest on the album for me is easily Surrounded.

I never said it was bad. Every DT song is at least good, though some are much better than others.

My ranking of IaW:

Take the Time
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live
Metropolis
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Surrounded
Under a Glass Moon

The last two would be switched if UaGM had a better solo.

:huh: :huh:

Online MarkFitDT

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
Very surprised that Under A Glass Moon is the only song without a vote thus far!

I'm not; it is easily the weakest on the album.

I never got the semi-hate for Under a Glass Moon. It's a fantastic song (every song on I&W is really), and the weakest on the album for me is easily Surrounded.

I never said it was bad. Every DT song is at least good, though some are much better than others.

My ranking of IaW:

Take the Time
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live
Metropolis
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Surrounded
Under a Glass Moon

The last two would be switched if UaGM had a better solo.

:huh: :huh:

haha, im glad its not just me that thought they had read that wrong! UAGM solo is amazing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
Learning to Live

re: Wait for Sleep - it's one of my top 3 songs on the album and I like various kinds of music. But I'm also a huge Kevin Moore fan so... :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »
Metropolis
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
haha, im glad its not just me that thought they had read that wrong! UAGM solo is amazing.

I was about to say... the UaGM solo is probably in my top 3 favs by Petrucci
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »
Learning to Live beats Metropolis by a hair. Which beats Wait for Sleep by a hair. Which... Etc.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline rosepetaljelly

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »
Can't choose between these: Pull Me Under, Take The Time, Metropolis, Under A Glass Moon

it's...impossible  :-\ :-\

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »
Surrounded
Learning to Live
Metropolis
Wait for Sleep
Another Day
Take the Time
Under a Glass Moon
Pull Me Under
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
Surrounded
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Metropolis beats out Under A Glass Moon by a hair. Take the Time and Learning To Live are close behind.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
I'm not sure why someone would make the presumption that someone who likes Wait For Sleep only likes that kind of music. It's entirely possible to like more than one type of music.

I didn't SAY that it isn't possible to like MORE than ONE type of music.

In fact, the REASON DREAM Theater is MY favorite band is because they are the ONE group that comes CLOSEST to doing EVERYTHING that I like.

What I MEANT was that someone who only-and I DO mean ONLY-likes shorter, softer ballads like "Wait for Sleep"  will not like the kind of heavy rock/metal songs, or the longer more EPIC songs that the band is KNOWN for.
Also they probably wouldn't like metal bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc., or PROG bands such as Yes, Kansas, Genesis and many others.

I wasn't speaking for or about those of us who DO like that kind of variety in our music.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline The Nameless One

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2014, 07:23:31 PM »
Learning To Live!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2014, 05:58:19 AM »

I didn't SAY that it isn't possible to like MORE than ONE type of music.

In fact, the REASON DREAM Theater is MY favorite band is because they are the ONE group that comes CLOSEST to doing EVERYTHING that I like.

What I MEANT was that someone who only-and I DO mean ONLY-likes shorter, softer ballads like "Wait for Sleep"  will not like the kind of heavy rock/metal songs, or the longer more EPIC songs that the band is KNOWN for.
Also they probably wouldn't like metal bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc., or PROG bands such as Yes, Kansas, Genesis and many others.

I wasn't speaking for or about those of us who DO like that kind of variety in our music.
By chance, have you ever met anyone who goes by the handle FallenAwake?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
No.

Why?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »
No reason.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 04:32:02 AM »
Metropolis, my all time favorite =)