Disappear
Vacant
Sacrificed Sons
Medicate (Octavarium)
Prophets of War
Far From Heaven
The Way It Used To Be
Speak To Me

Author Topic: Favorite James LaBrie Lyrics (NEW SELECTIONS ADDED, PLEASE VOTE AGAIN)  (Read 4196 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Which Dream Theater song has the best lyric written by JLB?
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »

I'm looking at it from an artists perspective and pointing out that this poll is an incomplete evaluation of JLB's creative output.  But you already know that.  Same could be said for the KM poll (for those of you who appreciate his Chroma Key and other lyrics). 

Not if we're talking about that artist's creative output within the band. Although I see nothing wrong with discussing how you think their lyrics in DT songs compare to your favorite stuff from their solo works.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Favorite James LaBrie Lyrics
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
Disappear easily. Not only is it JLB's best, but it's up there with DT's best lyrics. I get chills every time listening to it, I wish DT did more in the way of emotionally impacting songs like that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
I'm just being pedantic, but if we are truly looking at the value of the lyric, shouldn't it be regardless of who performed the music?
This is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

If I were an author I would feel slighted if half of my creative body of work were dismissed because it was released via a different band, publisher or other means.
Nothing is being slighted.  This is a small poll on a fan forum.  Besides, being an author is a solitary activity, no band involved, so it doesn't seem like a good comparison.

Are his solo lyrics no less valid or valuable as a form of written expression than those he wrote for DT? 
Nothing is being dismissed.  It's just that this is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

But yeah, I get it.  This is a DT forum, and you folks just want to focus on the DT related things you know about.
We know about JLB's solo stuff, and we love it.  But this is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

I'm looking at it from an artists perspective and pointing out that this poll is an incomplete evaluation of JLB's creative output.  But you already know that.  Same could be said for the KM poll (for those of you who appreciate his Chroma Key and other lyrics). 
Many of us love his Chroma Key and OSI stuff.  But this is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

I guess I'm just a formalist and like to broaden the paradigm wherever possible.  Even with informal polls.
Well, as long as you aren't being pedantic.

:)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 07:50:32 AM »
Wait, which subforum is this again?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »

The Spyro Gyra subforum.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »

The Spyro Gyra subforum.

...and theres another subforum for... Bear Tracks, right?

Anna Lee is very underrated. It wasn't until I did it at Karaoke that I realized not only how beautiful the song is, but just how much fun it is to sing.

:o

What freakin' karaoke place has Dream Theater??!?!  I've never seen that!

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »
:o

What freakin' karaoke place has Dream Theater??!?!  I've never seen that!

Hahah, the place my friend hosts. I brought the song in, so no, it wasn't actually a part of his selection.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
But yeah, I get it.  This is a DT forum, and you folks just want to focus on the DT related things you know about.
Eh man, our freaking out over the solo albums in the JLB solo thread over at General Music brought Matt Guillory and Peter Wildoer to discuss it at length with us but what do we know :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »
seriously. A lot of folks here like JLB's recent solo stuff better than DT's. :lol  (myself among them)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
I'm just being pedantic, but if we are truly looking at the value of the lyric, shouldn't it be regardless of who performed the music?
This is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

If I were an author I would feel slighted if half of my creative body of work were dismissed because it was released via a different band, publisher or other means.
Nothing is being slighted.  This is a small poll on a fan forum.  Besides, being an author is a solitary activity, no band involved, so it doesn't seem like a good comparison.

Are his solo lyrics no less valid or valuable as a form of written expression than those he wrote for DT? 
Nothing is being dismissed.  It's just that this is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

We know about JLB's solo stuff, and we love it.  But this is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

Many of us love his Chroma Key and OSI stuff.  But this is the DT subforum.  Any topics discussed here are DT band-related.  Solo stuff is discussed in the General Music Discussion subforum.

I guess I'm just a formalist and like to broaden the paradigm wherever possible.  Even with informal polls.
Well, as long as you aren't being pedantic.

:)

Haha, okay.  Can the poll at least be updated to include JLB's entire DT lyric catalog?

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:19 PM »
Haha, okay.  Can the poll at least be updated to include JLB's entire DT lyric catalog?

This.
Spin it any way you want but The Way It Used To Be and Speak To Me are both Dream Theater songs, the lyrics were written by James LaBrie, and they're both great, so they definitely deserve a spot in the poll, and frankly, my vote.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2014, 02:10:28 AM »
Could Caught in a Web be added as well? If BAI is in the JM lyrics poll, I think CIAW should count as well. I've read James talk about the meaning of the song, which gave me the impression it was mostly written by him.

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:51 AM »
Could Caught in a Web be added as well? If BAI is in the JM lyrics poll, I think CIAW should count as well. I've read James talk about the meaning of the song, which gave me the impression it was mostly written by him.

Oh yes, that one too, most definitely.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2014, 04:52:26 AM »
seriously. A lot of folks here like JLB's recent solo stuff better than DT's. :lol  (myself among them)

Myself also definitely included. But this is DT side, so DT it is!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2014, 06:59:57 AM »
fight the power, man.

Voted Disappear.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »

This.
Spin it any way you want but The Way It Used To Be and Speak To Me are both Dream Theater songs, the lyrics were written by James LaBrie, and they're both great, so they definitely deserve a spot in the poll, and frankly, my vote.
I agree with that, and I could edit the poll (or I suppose the OP could do that), but would it matter at this point with so many votes already cast?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 08:03:48 AM »
I agree with that, and I could edit the poll (or I suppose the OP could do that), but would it matter at this point with so many votes already cast?

It may not make a difference in terms of which song will be winning, but I think it would be interesting to see how many people would consider one of those songs to have their favorite JLB lyrics.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »
OK, added.

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
Wait, is there a way to reset vote count? Or allow people to change their votes?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
Wait, is there a way to reset vote count? Or allow people to change their votes?
I don't think so.  That's why I asked what I asked.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
I don't think so.  That's why I asked what I asked.

EDIT:  I can reset vote counts to 0.

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
EDIT:  I can reset vote counts to 0.

Is that going to allow people to cast their votes again?
Sorry, lol, I had no idea it was going to be that much trouble. I though once you add extra entries, it would reset the votes automatically.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 09:56:45 AM »
Is that going to allow people to cast their votes again?
I dunno, let's find out.

Re: Favorite James LaBrie Lyrics (NEW SELECTIONS ADDED, PLEASE VOTE AGAIN)
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »
Awesome! I voted The Way It Used To Be. I've always identified with them a lot.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Woo-hoo!

Still voted for Blind Faith.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
"Disappear", from my fave DT album, and one of my favorite tracks of theirs of all time. JLB's delivery and lyrics are astounding, and it gets me teary-eyed all the time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
Woo-hoo!

Still voted for Blind Faith.

Haha exactly!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2014, 04:45:09 AM »
Well that was a whole lot of inconvenience just for two throwaway tracks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »
Well that was a whole lot of inconvenience just for two throwaway tracks.
I must agree.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
I think Disappear's lyrics are just okay. I love the song and it gets a ton of praise, but to me its just a bunch of sad words. They're touching but don't do terribly much for me. JLB has done better poetically in my opinion, which is why I went with Blind Faith
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"