Author Topic: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]  (Read 31125 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
So I was pretty much an "Andre Matos or Bust" Angra fan and disregarded them after Holy Land.  After reading some great reviews of their show at Progpower, I'm now checking out Sacred Garden and Omni. 

This is some great stuff.  I've always loved Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands and like Fabio as a singer.  It's cool to hear some heavier sounding guitars in the band on these two records.  There is a live album with Sacred Garden, but I haven't really given it a spin yet...not quite ready for Fabio's take on my favorite songs from Holy Land and Angels Cry.   

If you aren't aware, Omni's bonus track is a 2017 rerecording of ZITO. I strongly prefer it to the original, but then again, Fabio could belch into a microphone for an hour and I'd pay $15 for it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
I think i’ve said this before, but would LOVE to have Fabio with DT if James ever left :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2018, 12:36:38 PM »
I think i’ve said this before, but would LOVE to have Fabio with DT if James ever left :metal

I need new pants after thinking about this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
I wouldn't want that - aside from the obvious I don't want someone else singing for DT, I also don't want Angra to have to find a fourth singer. :P

They've put out two great albums with Fabio and I say keep it coming. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2018, 08:56:08 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
Yes you would. You just don't know it yet. Maybe it'll hit you when you're about to fall asleep, or while you're working, or while you're taking a walk, or on a drive somewhere, listening to Angra and then Dream Theater. Over time you'll get it, and you'll want more, maybe after watching the next DT live release and wondering how Fabio would sound singing Beneath the Surface.

I call that the Lethean treatment. :lol :hug:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2018, 09:05:35 PM »
No I wouldn't.  :)  I did just imagine Fabio on Beneath the Surface. Sounds good, but not as good as James. ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: September 14, 2018, 09:06:59 PM »
 :lol

"So! You want some mo'? Thees next one is a very, very sad song..."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #219 on: September 14, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »
Yep, that's exactly how it would be introduced. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
We have two Angra threads. I legit have no idea which one to be posting in, and since this is the most recently active one, here goes. Caught Angra in Joliet last night. I am really annoyed with the turnout. It was - wait for it - deplorable. Seriously, I'd be surprised if they cracked 100 people in the entire place. But the guys were happy as hell to be there, they were super nice when I met them, and were all smiles and laughs. Caught a setlist at the end and even got Rafael to sign it. VIP stuff aside, the concert was incredible. And then someone was handing out free Obscura tickets after the show - not my type of music, but that was funny  :lol

Just a few shots:

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
I'm tired of shows being booked in Joliet, though I prefer it to downtown Chicago (Joliet has that free garage down the street).  I live up near the WI border, so it's a 70 mile drive for me to get to that venue.  I did it once in 2012 for Iced Earth, but it was a bit of a pain - I prefer going to shows in Milwaukee now.  Less transitions from highway to highway and 20 miles closer.  The promoter needs some different venues - put them in some place a little smaller and it wouldn't be as obviously empty. 

I'd have gone, but my concert going days are on hiatus now with two small kids.  That's a killer set!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
I'm tired of shows being booked in Joliet, though I prefer it to downtown Chicago (Joliet has that free garage down the street).  I live up near the WI border, so it's a 70 mile drive for me to get to that venue.  I did it once in 2012 for Iced Earth, but it was a bit of a pain - I prefer going to shows in Milwaukee now.  Less transitions from highway to highway and 20 miles closer.  The promoter needs some different venues - put them in some place a little smaller and it wouldn't be as obviously empty. 

I'd have gone, but my concert going days are on hiatus now with two small kids.  That's a killer set!

The Forge has a capacity of about 950 if I recall. It should have been packed. I saw Rhapsody there in 2012 and it was very well populated (back when it was Mojoes). I love that venue honestly, although this time I had to go into Chicago to pick up a friend and then go back to Joliet so it was like 4.5 hours on the road for me (and I only live 90 minutes from Joliet!). Most of the shows I see these days tend to be at the Concord Music Hall in Chicago, which is the most painless venue to access in that entire city imo - 2-5 minutes off the interstate and you're in their parking lot and in line. It rocks. Although the outrageous $25 parking fee annoys me, used to be 10, then 15, then 20... but that's the price of convenience. Slipped the guy $3 at the garage in Joliet  :lol

I think it was a promotion problem because there is no way a band like Angra should have been playing to so few people. I feel so bad for them.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »

They'll be in Milwaukee tonight....

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »

They'll be in Milwaukee tonight....

I wish I could go!  Family duties come first for the next handful of years until my kids are older and one parent can handle bedtime alone. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
I have a ticket for my show coming up. Whether I go will depend on what the Mrs. wants to do. Very rare date night. She's a headbanger like me, and knows OF Angra, but we'll see how the day plays out. There are three openers, so if we're able to get dinner and walk over, we most likely will. We'll see. The venue they are playing by me holds about 150 people. I think its listed at 250, but half of that is the space in the downstairs bar, which is underneath the main floor...so the joint is TINY.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
Sucks for the low turn out, but the positive for you is a more intimate experience. 

I would have checked them out again in NYC, but couldn't make it. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »
K-lox....are you wearing a fucking cape in that picture??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
Yes, yes he was.  After the show he climbed onto the stage, put his arms out, and jumped, thinking he could fly...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »

:metal :metal :metal

You just jealous you didn't wear a pumpkin costume to Helloween.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
 :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »

I brought my (second) Rhapsody flag for Fabio to sign (which he did). It just so happens that flag has ties at the end and instead of holding it in my hands, I did the metal thing and wore it as a fucking cape. I've never felt more glorious than wearing that thing during Spread Your Fire. Power metal flows through my veins :2metal:

Yes, yes he was.  After the show he climbed onto the stage, put his arms out, and jumped, thinking he could fly...

I was trying to ride the winds of destination. :neverusethis:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2018, 05:45:12 PM »
 :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2018, 07:34:12 PM »

On the wings of reality....

Or were you trying to spread your fire?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2018, 01:50:56 AM »

I was just trying to carry on and make believe that I was a metal Icarus, but the spirit of the air was not on my side...  Carolina IV. :neverusethis:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2018, 03:20:08 AM »

I was just trying to carry on and make believe that I was a metal Icarus, but the spirit of the air was not on my side...  Carolina IV. :neverusethis:

Haha...You were flying across the Holy Land, Seeing the Deep Blue.

Damn, I so wish they would've played Carolina IV.....Thats my all time favorite.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
So, the tour continues, and I really have nothing to say about the poor turnout in the midwest. :P  If you like Angra at all, go see a show near you. They are incredible live.  If you know nothing about them but like exceptional guitar players, bass players, drummers, and/or singers, go see a show near you. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
Damn freaking right :metal

Offline Art

« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Almost off-topic, but i saw Shaman, the band with Angra's original singer, drummer and bass player, who got together after splitting up in 06 or 07, i'm not sure. They have a big following here in Brazil, amongst them, my wife, so i went with her (i was hoping for some old Angra songs, but they didn't play anything but Shaman songs). They sold out 2 days in Săo Paulo, but i'm not sure they will continue to tour, or if it was a one (well, two)-off.

Though i'm not a fan, the show was good, Confessori and Mariutti played extremely well, and Andre Matos sang almost everything perfectly.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
That sounds really cool.  I'd love to see Andre Matos live someday, either with Shaman or solo. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2018, 07:22:45 PM »
Also a bit off-topic, but Edu Falaschi is releasing an EP with the band he’s touring playing Angra’s songs, called “the glory of the sacred truth”, that has 2 original songs, a lot in the Angra’s style.
The japanese version has 4 Angra’s songs, live from this tour:
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/KICP-1944?s_ssid=e368955bac2f4ff2bd

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwvsnoH6d1Q

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:14:39 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2018, 08:48:58 PM »
So moderators, if one is reading this thread - any chance we can merge this thread with the other Angra thread and add Omni World Tour or something to the subject? :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
So moderators, if one is reading this thread - any chance we can merge this thread with the other Angra thread and add Omni World Tour or something to the subject? :)

I agree with this...

News is breaking that Andre Matos has passed away. I'm in shock.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2019, 12:15:40 PM »

I agree with this...

News is breaking that Andre Matos has passed away. I'm in shock.

Just saw on Facebook too...pretty crazy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »
Just saw it too. I’m shocked. Felipe Andreoli said they were planning to have Andre with them for Angra’s 30th anniversary and now that’ll never happen, or a new Shaman album with him :'(