Author Topic: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]  (Read 31126 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2018, 10:40:54 PM »
I'll give this a listen but while I love Fabio with Rhapsody he doesn't work for me with Angra.  I'm a Matos guy and Angra died for me when he left although there's some good stuff on Rebirth (Running Alone especially) and I like Temple of Shadows a fair amount.

I much prefer the Matos/Tollki collaboration of Symfonia than later Angra.

To be honest, I thought the Symfonia was absolute shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:47 AM »
I have lost track of Angra lately, so I shouldn't probably be allowed to comment, but as good as Fabio Lione may be, I thought that Angra was an important enough band to get their own singer, rather than borrow someone who has 43 projects and lives on the other side of the ocean.

I know that it's probably best to have such a renowed singer if no local one is avalaible, but sharing a singer with many bands feels to me like a huge downsizing of the band, which is probably what has happened anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2018, 01:53:46 AM »
Waiting anxiously for the new album. Count me as also being a fan of the more recent Angra's style!
Just to add, I've never seen any band document the creative process and open it to fans (while it's happening) like Angra did with this last album. Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJuhj-Ua-fZ8UCua9Q-dsH6IdAfIr0rTj
Too bad this thing not to be subtitled in english, to be more acessible for all the fans in the world. But it is extremely cool nevertheless.

The Youtube subtitles seem to work pretty well in English for the videos.  Maybe they added them since you last watched them, or are they just auto-generated/translated?

Either way, thanks for sharing that playlist :D  I'm really enjoying watching these!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2018, 04:36:59 AM »
Good to know that! I thought that there wasn’t any subtitles from what I remember. Maybe they were always there, but I didn’t notice it, because I didn’t need them  :laugh:
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:42 AM »
I have lost track of Angra lately, so I shouldn't probably be allowed to comment, but as good as Fabio Lione may be, I thought that Angra was an important enough band to get their own singer, rather than borrow someone who has 43 projects and lives on the other side of the ocean.

I know that it's probably best to have such a renowed singer if no local one is avalaible, but sharing a singer with many bands feels to me like a huge downsizing of the band, which is probably what has happened anyway.

I see your point, and agree with you to a certain degree, but the last album (first with Fabio) is SO GOOD, he shines all over it. I think they made the right call to include him.
Also, if I’m not mistaken, once this Rhapsody reunion/anniversary/whatever tour ends, they’re done with the band, since this isn’t the “official” version of Rhapsody anyway, so I think Angra is Fabio’s main band now.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2018, 07:11:08 AM »
Sooner or later I'll have to check out this combination. I remember being skeptic about Fabio replacing Khan in Kamelot for a tour, but then I saw the show and it was great. So I know what he's capable of doing  :coolio and if Angra becomes his main band, all the better!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
Fabio's done with Rhapsody. It's just a reunion tour with the OG lineup. Angra's his main bag now, although I can't deny I'm a bit surprised Angra went with such a titanic name in the genre instead of getting another Spanish or Brazilian guy! All the better for me though :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:56 AM »
I could never get into Rhapsody, but love Fabio’s voice, so I’m glad he’s with Angra full time now :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »
ANGRA RELEASE NEW ALBUM ØMNI ON FEBRUARY 16

2018 marks the beginning of yet another era in Angra's history.

At age 26, the band shows motivation and strength like never before. Not even the sometimes uncertain trajectory was able to take away the focus, determination and inspiration of the quintet led – and founded – by Rafael Bittencourt, and formed by Felipe Andreoli (bass), Fabio Lione (vocals), Marcelo Barbosa (guitar) and Bruno Valverde (drums).

ØMNI is Angra's 9th studio album, the result of months of intense dedication, blood, and sweat. It will be released on February 16, 2018 on earMUSIC.

Once again, the album has been recorded in Sweden with Jens Bogren, who also produced the previous album Secret Garden, and manages to capture the same excellent chemistry.

The sound, while fully contemporary, has an organic character and respects the different nuances and dynamics of each instrument. Many musicians were involved in creating the album, ranging from the percussion sound of Bahia to European orchestral arrangement – all of which give the album its outstanding variety.

ØMNI is a concept album, a set of science fiction short stories that take place at various places in time, simultaneously. The backbone of the plot is based on the idea that in 2046 an artificial intelligence system will change human perception and cognition. It is a system which will allow conscious communication between present and future human beings. Characters such as time travellers, cavemen, warriors, among others, help tell this story.

The album connects the concepts of previous albums (Holy Land, Rebirth, Temple of Shadows) to one main system, ØMNI, which in Latin means "everything." ØMNI fabricates an interconnectivity that shines light towards a universal truth: everything that has happened, led to what the band is today. ØMNI celebrates and unites the whole history of Angra to this exact, current moment.

Angra's trademark formula, a Brazilian style mixed with classical music and heavy metal, is enhanced by different influences such as progressive rock, thrash metal, Latin music, and djent, which transforms the albums into a swirl of modern and familiar. The conjoined moods and dynamics put a special spin on the lyrics and therefore increase deep sense of immersion in the story.

The cover artwork was hand-drawn by Daniel Martin Diaz, a unique American artist who dedicates his life to mixing scientific and philosophical concepts such as Anatomy, Computer Science, Mathematics, Cosmology, Sacred Geometry, Symbolism and Esotericism. The designer Gustavo Sazes was responsible for integrating such an organic art piece to the visual concept of the album as a whole.

Even in a cultural environment increasingly sterile and unfavourable for music with soul and identity, the band gathers eleven tracks that completely differ from each other, but at the same time tell a cohesive story, and wander through all styles and nuances that have made Angra a worldwide reference. A very well bonded line-up, both personally and musically, overflowing with creativity, was the necessary fuel to bring these songs to life, songs which are undoubtedly among the best in the band's discography.

ØMNI certainly is a milestone, not only in the history of the band, but also for Brazilian metal and its recognition worldwide.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Light of Transcendence
2. Travelers of Time
3. Black Widow's Web
4. Insania
5. The Bottom of My Soul
6. War Horns
7. Caveman
8. Magic Mirror
9. Always More
10. ØMNI - Silence Inside
11. ØMNI - Infinite Nothing

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
BTW, we LOTSOFMUZIK will be interviewing Angra in a couple of days too, if you have questions just post them here and PM ‘em to me

Offline devieira73

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »
Detailed review:
https://myglobalmind.com/2018/01/28/angra-omni-review/
It seems this is an excellent Angra album!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
I might be seeing them live for the first time on this tour, so the album MUST be great  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2018, 04:21:34 AM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2018, 04:33:18 AM »
New video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgor7ZuG9nU

Pretty damn good.

I like that better than most stuff I have heard from them in recent years  :tup   Having said that (and having grown up with Angra) I find it hard to really think of them as Angra with only Rafael left.

Supposedly that song has a solo from Kiko - presumably the other dude just "played" it for the vid?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:41:38 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
Supposedly that song has a solo from Kiko - presumably the other dude just "played" it for the vid?

That seems to be the case. Kiko recorded the solo (and I’m very glad they let him guest on at least one track) but seems like he wasn’t available for the video shoot, which is pretty understandable.

Loved the song, btw. Can’t wait to see them live in June :metal

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »
Excellent stuff.  Very much looking forward to this album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2018, 06:22:37 AM »
This band has shot up so high on my favorites list since The Secret Garden. They're like a whole other animal these days (in the best possible way). Fantastic vocals, great power metal riffing/drumming, amazing solo - that song ROCKS!! :metal :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
New video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgor7ZuG9nU

Pretty damn good.

I like that better than most stuff I have heard from them in recent years  :tup   Having said that (and having grown up with Angra) I find it hard to really think of them as Angra with only Rafael left.

So I wish the band or Kiko would clarify exactly what his status is in the band then ffs.

I've always really liked Rafael for some reason and always thought him as equal to Kiko.  It's just weird that the new bloke is from Almah, although a very good guitarist.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »
It's heeeeere!

I woke up late and only heard the first few tracks, one of which surprised me greatly but I ended up really liking the song. But it's really strong so far. Really, really strong.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »
Great, great album! The sequence from War Horns into Ømni Silence Inside is unbelievable strong. I guess this album is kind of a more developed Secret Garden, which I see as a very good album.
About Kiko, I believe that the doors are always open for him to return if he doesn’t stay on Megadeth and want to come back. In fact, I believe that he, Rafael and the bassist are the legal owners of the band. But, in recent interviews, Rafael is saying that Marcelo and Fábio are band members. Kiko’s solo in the album is just a guest appearance.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:55:02 AM by devieira73 »

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
Re: Angra - Ømni (2018)
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
Albumzão da porra! Melhor som deles desde o Temple of Shadows, NMHO.

Great album! Their best work since Temple of Shadows, IMHO. Personally I think Lione is still a little misplaced here, and Marcelo does a great job filling Kiko's shoes.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »
The more correct translation from portuguese wouldn't be "a fu**ing great album"?! ;D
I'm not a typical Angra fan and, to me, when they bring more prog or prog metal influences to their sound the better! On Omni, Marcelo influence's to me is pretty evident, as he is known as a big Dream Theater fan.
I love Temple of Shadows, but I also like Acqua immensely and I know I'm a bit lonely on this. Aurora Consurgeons has its moments, but it's inferior to all these 4 albums IMO.
On a bit more on traditional Angra, I think Holy Land is excellent and the first album is very good, but I don't care for Rebirth and I really don't like Fireworks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
Great album! I still like Secret Garden more, but it’s too early to have a defined opinion, since I’ve only listened to it twice.

Really like all of the tracks, but Black widow’s web is very weird (for an Angra song) and I’m not a fan of the closing track. Other than that, the album is amazing :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »
Black Widow's Web took me by surprise big time. Was not expecting that. But it works! Curious to hear Lethean's thoughts, being a big Angra fan.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
Great album. Favorite song is Magic Mirror, it’s awesome!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »
Their best album since Temple of Shadows, but that isn't saying much... It gets a 7/10 from me. There are a few forgettable songs on here.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »
Just dropped the needle in a few spots. I'm not impressed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »
Man, I think this might be my favorite Angra album yet, and that's saying something because Secret Garden set the bar pretty high for me. The songwriting rules, the riffs and solos are superb, the production is great, drumming is on point. There really is a blend of all of Angra's sounds over the years on display, but plenty of modern and original stuff going on, too...

I'm a little biased on vocals because I love anything Fabio does but man he just takes an already great melody and elevates it to another level. Insania is such a cool song in that way (love the tempo and chorus melody as well as the 'whoa's at the end). Rafael's vocals are also great, I personally enjoy when he sings and it's no different on Omni. I love this album, very strong contender for album of the year already, I can tell.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2018, 01:53:20 PM »

This does not shock me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline devieira73

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2018, 02:39:12 PM »
Fabio is incredible all the album, but his work on Always More manages to go beyond that. :hefdaddy

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
Fabio is incredible all the album, but his work on Always More manages to go beyond that. :hefdaddy

Yeah, that song really is something else. That's a damn good song. The guitar lick is so simple but beautiful!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »

Yeah, that song really is something else. That's a damn good song. The guitar lick is so simple but beautiful!

Count me in, love that song. Just in the feels.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2018, 03:35:02 AM »

Please, tell us more.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »
Insania, War Horns, and Always More are my favorites right now. Going to be really hard to top Insania and AM specifically. Angra outdid themselves with this one  :metal

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2018, 12:39:25 AM »
I've listened to Omni five times now and there are several songs that I am hooked on. I was happy to see such kind words about Always More because that's the one I haven't been able to get out of my head; it's such a lovely song. Caveman is a lot of fun and it makes me wish Angra incorporated more Portuguese chants into their music. War Horns is probably their heaviest song since Temple of Hate. I'm not sold on the chorus, but the rest of Magic Mirror is sooo good! Kiko will be sorely missed but I'm thrilled to see Angra carry on with such an impressive new album.  :metal