Author Topic: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]  (Read 31487 times)

Offline BelichickFan

Re: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »
- I don't like Matos' solo stuff except for a track here and there. But Symfonia, the collaboration of him and Tolkki, is great and better than any Angra or Stratovarius after they each left.

- I love - LOVE - Fabio Leone in Rhapsody but hate him with Angra. In the studio and live. Not a fit at all.

"Carry On"...

The bolded part had me aghast, but then Rhapsody praise made me conflicted  :lol

Symfonia is a great album.  Too bad it ended up being a one off.  Would have loved a few more.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2018, 06:42:42 AM »
My first language is spanish, but I still can't understand too much of what he's saying, care to translate some of it? :biggrin:

Yes, I can!  ;D

I know spanish is really close to portuguese, but sometimes not enough... I did my (and google translator's) best in english:

Question: Are you an effective member of Angra?
"Yes, that's what I'm told it's that today I'm an effective member of the Angra. The recording of Omni comes to consecrate this moment and what is spoken... of course I am speaking here what is spoken at the moment, and the future is always uncertain, however, as much as we have a future plan, many things can happen , but what is being talked about today is that, well, Kiko is living out of the country and playing one of the biggest metal bands in the world, his career only tends to grow, that's very good and he deserves all of that, and if someday, for some reason, he will play at Angra again, the idea is for the three guitarists to remain. This is the talk we have today. The conversation is very clear today: "Even if Kiko comes back, you do not go out". So I'm getting closer and closer to the guys, feeling more comfortable in the band, and now with the release of Omni, with the image of the clips, this, little by little, is consolidating the image before the fans of the band. Of course this is a long process, we are talking about a guy (Kiko) who, besides being a guitarist who is, the artist that he is, he is one of the founders, one of the first members along with Rafael and worked twenty and so  with the band, so this is not a done thing, this is a process and I can only say that I am happy with the moment and that it has been not only a moment of many good crops, but also of many seeds for the future. I'm sure that the best is yet to come, for sure."
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2018, 07:17:10 AM »
I would assume the band agrees with/stands behind what he said, or else they wouldn't have shared the video on their page (and perhaps would have told him to take it down).  Although there's a lot of "I'm told" so I suppose they could be telling him this, and even mean it, but then still decide to just go with Kiko should he choose to return.

Also "effective" seems weird here and I guess that's a literal translation but if the question were to be asked in English, maybe it would be "are you a full member" (vs just a fill in).

Offline devieira73

« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »
Yes, full member I think it’s more accurate.
This is a process and Marcelo knows that he’s still building his space in the band, so I guess that’s why he’s saying things carefully. But it’s in band’s Facebook, so I guess it’s a band statement.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »
The conversation is very clear today: "Even if Kiko comes back, you do not go out".

Sounds definitive to me. It's nice that Marcelo's place in the band is reaffirmed.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Thanks for the translation, devieira73! :tup

It's pretty clear to me that Marcelo is a full member and Kiko has been out since he joined Megadeth. I think the question now is wether Marcelo is still with Almah or not, but I guess his main priority is Angra now (I hope so).

Btw, here's the re-recorded version of Z.I.T.O from Omni: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLE3OTSgBVI&feature=youtu.be
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »

ProgPower then Chicago baby... 2018 is kicking all sorts of ass for American Angra fans.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »
Cool. I put it on the calendar. We'll see. I am really surprised they have been able to put together a headline tour of the states like this. Much bigger bands are barely breaking even doing headline tours. These guys are obscure in the states. Hopefully the fans come out in droves and buy lots of merch, so they can have a successful tour.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2018, 02:37:42 PM »
Just bought VIP tix. An Angra headlining tour has been a dream of mine for so long. September is going to be such a happy month. Bring on summer.  :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2018, 10:59:16 AM »
Cool. I put it on the calendar. We'll see. I am really surprised they have been able to put together a headline tour of the states like this. Much bigger bands are barely breaking even doing headline tours. These guys are obscure in the states. Hopefully the fans come out in droves and buy lots of merch, so they can have a successful tour.

Let's all go to a show (or two) and try to bring a friend and make this tour as successful as possible. :) I don't think the venues are very big so I hope they packed and Angra feels encouraged to return.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »
Where are the venue's listed.  I tried a couple of quick google searches, but can't find anything that lists the venues for the Canadian dates.  Songkick had the US dates, but not the Cdn ones
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »
Where are the venue's listed.  I tried a couple of quick google searches, but can't find anything that lists the venues for the Canadian dates.  Songkick had the US dates, but not the Cdn ones

15/Set/18 Quebec Salle Multi de Méduse Canada
16/Set/18 Montreal – Canada
17/Set/18 Toronto – Canada
25/Set/18 Vancouver Rickshaw Theatre Canada

That's what I'm finding. Hope that helps :)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »

Let's all go to a show (or two) and try to bring a friend and make this tour as successful as possible. :) I don't think the venues are very big so I hope they packed and Angra feels encouraged to return.

Mine is a popular, but tiny new club. About 250 capacity.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »

I think all of the venues are listed here: https://enterthevault.com/artist.php?id=587

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »
Nailed it! Love that site. Yeah, all the venues are there.

Can't wait to meet the band... twice  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »

I think all of the venues are listed here: https://enterthevault.com/artist.php?id=587

Excellent.  Thank you.  Not surprising at all on the Toronto venue.  Bands of this type typically play in 1 of 2 venues... this being one of them.  Saw Fates Warning there last year with about 80 other people.  Metal bands like this will draw no more than 200 people.  Even Evergrey couldn't get the place 1/2 filled.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »
This new one isn't grabbing me anywhere near as much as Secret Garden.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »

I'm kinda the same... though I've only given it 2 or 3 spins.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »

Excellent.  Thank you.  Not surprising at all on the Toronto venue.  Bands of this type typically play in 1 of 2 venues... this being one of them.  Saw Fates Warning there last year with about 80 other people.  Metal bands like this will draw no more than 200 people.  Even Evergrey couldn't get the place 1/2 filled.

Yeah, that's about par for the course.  I did see Blind Guardian in Toronto once and it was a bigger place that was packed.  But Angra doesn't have that same kind of recognition.  Hopefully the turn out will be respectable though. 

I think Kiko should try to promote it and get a Megadeth fan or two to go to the shows.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »

Great instrumentation, but missing the vocal and chorus melodies of SG.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2018, 04:43:32 PM »

I think it needs more than that to grow on you.  I might actually like it better than Secret Garden, but SG is awfully good.  I think they're both great.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »
Insania video - maybe a little over the top, but I think it's cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9AhILzH0oY

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »

I want Fabio to be the bartender at ProgPower now.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
got my ticket for the show in September. Looking forward to it.

So you guys think I should pick up Secret Garden? I enjoy Omni quite a bit, so if consensus is Secret Garden is as good, but maybe better melodies, I think I'd be all over that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »

So you guys think I should pick up Secret Garden? I enjoy Omni quite a bit, so if consensus is Secret Garden is as good, but maybe better melodies, I think I'd be all over that.

Yes. I think Omni is stronger, and whether you find the melodies on Secret Garden better is totally subjective, but SG was my favorite Angra album til Omni came out. It's got a super proggy song in Upper Levels, a couple lovely ballads (one acoustic), a killer cover of Synchronicity II, some classic high speed power metal, and a couple other interesting tracks. Also has Simone from Epica on the title track. Very good album. Lethean and I butt heads on how we rank Angra albums but I think we're in agreement that Secret Garden is worth buying if you liked Omni (I hope!)  :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »

I totally think you should get Secret Garden.  I dunno about "better melodies" - that's a matter of taste and I like the melodies on just about everything Angra has done.  Maybe it's less of a grower than Omni?  Not sure.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
Will add it to the list! Thanks guys.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »

Very cool clip! Yeah, a bit over the top, specially Lione's facial expressions at the begginning :lol :lol :lol
Very good solo and killer drum and bass work!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2018, 10:48:27 PM »

Very cool clip! Yeah, a bit over the top, specially Lione's facial expressions at the begginning :lol :lol :lol
Very good solo and killer drum and bass work!

Just watched a second time and really enjoyed it more than the first.  I usually prefer simpler videos that just show the band playing, but this was interesting.  A lot of little details in there I didn't see the first time (and probably more I missed this time too).  The only thing I would say is that I wish it didn't jump frames so fast, but that's a complaint of mine, even with live performance dvds.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2018, 06:07:31 AM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
Has anyone seen them on this tour so far?  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »

I hadn't then, but I have now. :) They're incredible live and everyone should catch them on this tour.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »
Yeah, first time seeing them live was at ProgPower and they slaughtered the room, only band that came close to them was Voyager imo. Can't wait for the show next Thursday. They're fantastic on stage.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »

I hadn't then, but I have now. :) They're incredible live and everyone should catch them on this tour.

Yea, really awesome band live.  Omni was fantastic to see from front to back.  It's the only album of theirs I have, so I wasn't familiar with the rest of the set but it all sounded really awesome.

Just sucks they did Black Widows web and the mic was off for the guest singer.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2018, 06:48:44 AM »
So I was pretty much an "Andre Matos or Bust" Angra fan and disregarded them after Holy Land.  After reading some great reviews of their show at Progpower, I'm now checking out Sacred Garden and Omni. 

This is some great stuff.  I've always loved Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands and like Fabio as a singer.  It's cool to hear some heavier sounding guitars in the band on these two records.  There is a live album with Sacred Garden, but I haven't really given it a spin yet...not quite ready for Fabio's take on my favorite songs from Holy Land and Angels Cry.