Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. No comeback by now :(  (Read 16423 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Porcupine Tree v. News of the year! Possible comeback in 2016-2017
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
Yeah, SW's solo band has excellent chemistry.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
Both have chemistry but I prefer PT, the best thing SW band now is Guthrie.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 06:43:48 AM »
I agree the solo band has a great chemistry, but for me personally there isn't the same sense of "This guy can't be replaced", something I feel stronger about PT. I would probably say that anyone in his solo band is replaceable, but Minneman has become a favorite of mine and I really hope he gets to stay around on drums. I've seen him live with different guitarists and there wasn't really a big difference, but the other guys part of the core are all pretty good. I like the sense of progression you get with his band. When I saw him on the GfD-tour, the concert itself was one of the best I had seen, but there was this vibe of basically everyone on stage just being a hired gun. I spoke to a friend after the show and he got the same vibe. The band was great, but you could totally feel SW being so much higher up in the ranks compared to the rest of the group. When I saw SW on the Raven tour, it was different. The band felt more like a band, and SW took the backseat a bit more and let his fellow musicians get some more freedom. So I definitely think it's going the right way.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 08:12:03 AM »
From the Steven Wilson Street Team:

Hey guys,

There are some rumours going around that after the next SW record, PT will make a comeback. This is just a reminder to not believe everything that you read unless it's posted by SW himself. As far as that goes nothing is ever posted on this page unless posted by/confirmed by/announced by SW himself.
 I have confirmed this rumour to be false.
 I know it's not what a lot of people want to hear but it is what it is.
:(

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Porcupine Tree v. No comeback by now :(
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »
I AM SURPRISE.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
Yeah, nobody should be surprised by this.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
I would've been utterly blown away if it was true... I mean, SW and co are absolutely not the types (and quite frankly nor are they that 'status') to have rumors flying around and secretive meetings and blah blah blah. That's more for the pop icons and the Guns N Roses and Black Sabbath etc. etc. If they're getting back, as it says, we'll hear it from SW and it'll be as clear as day. A super secretive informant who isn't named? Lolz.

Back to And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun!

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
What a shocker!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
OK. Let's move on and look forward to the new SW solo album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »
Despite not being surprised about SWs answer I still miss PT, I really do. SWs solo career and band is amazing and I will not in a million years miss this tour but still.....there's something about PTs music that speaks to me in a certain way.

I'm listening to Deadwing atm and feel a bit moody and nostalgic because that album was very important to me when I lived in Stockholm. Everytime I listen to the album it takes me back to that time and events that happend during those years.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »
I kind of wish that they'd go back and release some soundboard shows from old tours. I know it's a bit of a cash-grab, but I wouldn't mind hearing full concerts (or compiled concerts to represent a whole tour) from the Stupid Dream or In Absentia tours. It seems like we have had live shows from each of the past 3 album-tours, so completing the set of tours from Signify-onward would be nice. Or perhaps there's some old shows from the tour on The Sky Moves Sideways that would be awesome to hear!

Shows like these:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tree/1995/arena-amsterdam-netherlands-13d72159.html
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tree/1995/roadmender-northampton-england-1bd7215c.html

What's the song "Cryogenics"?

Anyways, I wouldn't mind some "new" PT releases. It's been awhile since they've released ANYTHING, so something would be nice.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
Although I love PT, I'm fine with Steven keeping on with his solo material which is equally fantastic in it's own way. But to keep the fire alive, there's this:
https://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/rumors/is-porcupine-tree-coming-back-in-2016

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
Not to be that guy DC but that fire was the entire reason for this thread....  :lol

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
I'm curious if SW will play any PT songs on the next tour. He did play two on the last tour, and if there's anything that would indicate another nail in the PT coffin, it would be SW continuing with the occasional PT song here or there in his solo live set. After all, if nothing is stopping him to perform it solo, there's even less of a reason to re-unite PT. (Unless he feels some of their material is sacred and don't want to touch it without the other guys being part of it)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »
Heck yes for metal websites recycling news!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »
I'm curious if SW will play any PT songs on the next tour. He did play two on the last tour, and if there's anything that would indicate another nail in the PT coffin, it would be SW continuing with the occasional PT song here or there in his solo live set. After all, if nothing is stopping him to perform it solo, there's even less of a reason to re-unite PT. (Unless he feels some of their material is sacred and don't want to touch it without the other guys being part of it)
After all, if nothing is stopping him to perform it solo, there's even less of a reason to re-unite PT. (Unless he feels some of their material is sacred and don't want to touch it without the other guys being part of it)
After all, if nothing is stopping him to perform it solo, there's even less of a reason to re-unite PT.
there's even less of a reason to re-unite PT.
there's even less of a reason
even less

I see what you did there...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
I'd like to see him bust out something from the Sky Moves Sideways/Signify era on the next solo tour.  Stuff from that era kind of fits the vibe of his solo albums, although they aren't that similar.  I'd drop to my knees and give thanks if he played The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. :lol :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
STOP IT! You're giving me a hard-on.

RIP DTP.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2014, 02:30:19 AM »
The Sky Moves Sideways would probably sound pretty cool and groovy with his solo band. As much as I love Raider II (I think it's in his top3 out of his solo songs), I think it's time to retire that one for this tour. I've gotten to hear it both times I've seen him live, and it does take up a big part of the set. If he played something like Dark Matter, I would swoon.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:28 AM »
If they ever reunite I'm gonna have to do anything it takes to see them live, which will probably include flying abroad considering how everyone (Anathema, Opeth, SW solo...) seems to ignore Spain lately. Hopefully they'd do a set including songs from every album.

I'm not really counting on it though, and like others said I'll believe it when it happens, not when it is announced - so many announced reunions by other bands have ended up not happening over the years...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
The Sky Moves Sideways would probably sound pretty cool and groovy with his solo band. As much as I love Raider II (I think it's in his top3 out of his solo songs), I think it's time to retire that one for this tour. I've gotten to hear it both times I've seen him live, and it does take up a big part of the set. If he played something like Dark Matter, I would swoon.

tbh either of those songs would be ruined by the band the way "Radioactive Toy" (imo) was. the older PT stuff just isn't busy enough for a bass player like Beggs or a keyboard player like Holzmann. maybe one of the more complicated bits like "Dislocated Day" would work, though.

i'd actually like to hear them jam (for real). take the skeleton of a song like "Moonloop" or "Idiot Prayer" and see what everyone comes up with!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
resurrecting because some interesting goodies are out in youtubeland i didn't know about: "Always Recurring," a FOABP demo that wasn't used, and a demo of "Lazarus" with a completely different bridge. both very interesting, but ultimately the decision to change/not use the material was smarter, imo.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
"...a bomb concealed in somebody's iPod"  :lol

edit: link to the Lazarus one, por favor?

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
people did see this, didn't they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCnKzqB7eOk

"...a bomb concealed in somebody's iPod"  :lol

edit: link to the Lazarus one, por favor?

link

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
After spending the whole day listening to SW's latest solo album and past 2, I really wish he would come back to PT. I really respect his solo work and there's a lot of very talented work going on there, but I keep hitting a brick wall with it. I listen to it, then sort of get in to it, sort of don't like it and then just walk away from it. 

I truly wish I liked it more, but I'm just frustrated I guess.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
I'm not disappointed with his solo work quality-wise, but PT had a certain magic with Richard, Gavin and Colin that SW will never re-capture anywhere else. He might get better individual musicians, but PT had a certain chemistry that not many bands have.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
I basically agree, but as long as SW keeps releasing albums of the quality he has been, I don't really care what it's called.  It's all basically SW-driven anyway.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2015, 05:08:30 PM »
I'm not disappointed with his solo work quality-wise, but PT had a certain magic with Richard, Gavin and Colin that SW will never re-capture anywhere else. He might get better individual musicians, but PT had a certain chemistry that not many bands have.
I was about to say something similar. Their music and chemistry has a certain magic to it imo. I'm so bummed I never saw them live before they went on hiatus.

Lots of respect to hear him speak the truth even though it's not exactly what I wanna hear.  :-\

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »

link

Oh man, I am REALLY glad they did not use that version.
It's still pretty and I like the mellotron, but I kinda hate the drums and that bridge... just... no.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »

Definitely this.  I love Raven and Erase, but there are moments where I miss a cool Edwin bass line or Harrison fill.  In fact, Gavin is the one I miss the most.  That guy just constantly amazes me.

But if the inclusion of those guys (and Barbieri) would have drastically changed Raven or Erase, then I would question a reunion too.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 10:48:02 PM »
Hand. Cannot. Erase is an absolutely wonderful album, but yeah, I can't help but express similar sentiments. Porcupine Tree just had some sort of chemistry that made for some encapsulating music. I don't know if he'll ever get the band back together, but if he doesn't it's okay. He is still releasing really quality music, and he seems driven and inspired, so until he is ready to return, oh well I suppose.

I would like one more PT album for them to go out on, though-- The Incident isn't really a good send-off album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2015, 05:44:03 AM »
Hand. Cannot. Erase is an absolutely wonderful album, but yeah, I can't help but express similar sentiments. Porcupine Tree just had some sort of chemistry that made for some encapsulating music. I don't know if he'll ever get the band back together, but if he doesn't it's okay. He is still releasing really quality music, and he seems driven and inspired, so until he is ready to return, oh well I suppose.

I would like one more PT album for them to go out on, though-- The Incident isn't really a good send-off album.
All of this.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »
Just saw this on as the lead story on Prog magazine's website:

Link: https://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-03-05/steven-wilson-wouldn-t-lead-porcupine-tree-reunion

Steven explains there's no point in working the old way - and comments on drummer Gavin Harrison’s big-band reinterpretations

Steven Wilson insists he wouldn’t want to take the lead on writing duties in any Porcupine Tree reunion.

The frontman has never ruled out a return to the band, although in January he shot down rumours that it was set to happen in the near future.

But if they do get back together, he has no interest in bringing in a near-complete album like he used to.

Wilson tells Under The Radar: “I would have to say to the guys, ‘Look, there’s no point in me writing the material. If I were to do that I might as well do it for a solo record. Let’s try writing together, or writing in partnerships.”

He accepts that, no matter how successful his solo career becomes, he’ll always be asked about Porcupine Tree. “I think of someone like Peter Gabriel – people are still asking him when Genesis are getting back together,” says Wilson.

“It’s not a bad thing; it’s a flattering thing. When you step out of a reasonably successful band it doesn’t matter how good your solo work is. People always have a nostalgic attachment to the band identity. I’m used to it now.

“But it is frustrating sometimes that I have to explain, four albums into my solo career, that if Porcupine Tree get back together, it will be a side-project.”

Wilson just released Hand. Cannot. Erase. the follow-up to 2013’s The Raven That Refused To Sing – both of which have helped his solo career rocket.

PT drummer Gavin Harrison recently completed work on an album of the band’s music, reinterpreted in a big-band format. Wilson says of Cheating The Polygraph: “It’s brilliant – I love it! he sat me down and played me some of those tracks. I was almost the whole way through and he said, ‘Do you recognise it?’ I said, ‘No.’ And these are songs I wrote. It’s a beautifully executed piece of work.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):