Author Topic: Porcupine Tree v. No comeback by now :(  (Read 16453 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Porcupine Tree v. No comeback by now :(
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
I got my record in the mail a few days ago but haven't had time to sit down with it yet. Tomorrow night!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
i dig Cheating the Polygraph as well; PT lends itself to jazz amazingly.

gotta say Gavin's trickery turned out to be rather silly, though; he's been talking about how they charted "Halo" across weird subdivisions of "Hatesong" to make the illusion of a tempo change, but it still just sounds like it changes tempo anyway!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2015, 05:15:57 AM »
and there are the few fans like myself who enjoyed The Incident for the most part, yet find the constant praise of Fear of a Blank Planet, nauseating. And actually think the Nil Recurring EP is a lot better.

I second this.

I completely agree with this.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2015, 08:49:53 AM »
I'm not sure I'd say Nil is better, but I do really dig it (though I've never understood all the love for Cheating the Polygraph). I will say FoaBP in general has not aged very well with me. I still like it a lot, but it's not the same.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
I mean The Incident is clearly better than Fear of a Blank Planet anyway. ::)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »
I mean The Incident is clearly better than Fear of a Blank Planet anyway. ::)

Your text is correct, but your emoticon is not.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »
Yeah.... no. Fear of a Blank Planet is their best and The Incident is probably their worst (after OTSOL).  :lol

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
i get the foundation for calling anything the best PT album except OTSOL and The Incident. just does not compute!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »
I'm not sure I'd say Nil is better, but I do really dig it (though I've never understood all the love for Cheating the Polygraph). I will say FoaBP in general has not aged very well with me. I still like it a lot, but it's not the same.

Hey now, I love Cheating the Polygraph! :)

Overall, I think FOABP has aged pretty well, but most of their other albums are still better.  Then again, all of them, including The Incident and excluding On the Sunday of Life, are so great that there is no shame in being the 7th or 8th best PT record.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »
I know, you're in the majority but I've never understood it. It's a good song, but not top tier material by any means to me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »
Review of Cheating the Polygraph: https://wpapu.com/2015-05-09-review-gavin-harrison/
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »
It's a really great album, even better than Hand Cannot Erase.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »
Someone help. What is it people detest so much about The Incident?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »
Someone help. What is it people detest so much about The Incident?

I'll never understand. It's always been one of my favorite PT albums.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »
For me, it boils down to:

1. Works as a whole but nothing really memorable about it - Basically the songs flow together nicely and the song cycle is well constructed, but the individual pieces themselves aren't that strong. Even highlights like Time Flies or I Drive the Hearse wouldn't rank that high for me, simply because PT has done better before.

2. Sense of familiarity with no surprises - Up until The Incident I felt like PT had given us new ideas with every album, but The Incident felt like a rehash of what they had done before. The idea of making a long song/song cycle was new, but the elements themselves weren't new.

3. The album sounding uninspired - From the dull and uninspired Meshuggah riffs to songs that seemingly go nowhere, it felt like the band was struggling to make the album for some reason. There was nothing really awe inspiring about it, which is a shame. Just a few years before they dropped FOABP, which has some incredible moments, and still ranks as the best PT album for me.

I'd still say The Incident is a 7.5/10 album or so. I like it, but I don't love it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it strongly, but if someone loves everything else by PT, then I would tell them to give it a go. I listened to it like crazy the first few months but haven't revisited the album in 2 or 3 years. I honestly feel no urge or interest in doing so either. Most of the songs just feel like weaker versions of much better songs that PT made earlier.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
Zantera's post sums it up nicely for me. It's one of my least favourite PT albums for the reasons mentioned. And yes, OTSOL has better moments than The Incident's highlights, for me at least.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
Like or dislike the Incident, people using it in the same sentence (quality wise) as OtSoL makes me want to go on a rampage.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
Like or dislike the Incident, people using it in the same sentence (quality wise) as OtSoL makes me want to go on a rampage.
Same here. The Incident isn't one of my favorites, the songs range from great to rather mediocre, whereas I find OTSOL absolutely dreadful and it doesn't have a single good track.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
My brain hurts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »
OTSOL is definitely a more fun listen, but with that said, not necessarily better, and I would say The Incident is a better crafted album. But I'd probably take The Nostalgia Factory and Radioactive Toy over the Incident highlights, but that's me.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2015, 08:50:46 PM »
The Incident has a special place in my heart as it was my first new PT-release (2010 I believe) and I listened to it a lot while playing some of my favorite video games, so the music holds some dear nostalgic memories. It was my favorite PT album for a while for that reason and only because I never really listened to many of their other albums as a whole.

Now, I see its flaws and how it makes less of a powerful or emotional punch than any of the other releases. It was a little disconnected as a concept and I feel it could have been crafted differently to make for a much more impactful album as the atmosphere is already TOP NOTCH imo. This is a shallow thought but... I also feel like the album would have been better if it didn't have such a boring/bad album cover :blush
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
The Incident isn't one of my favorites, the songs range from great to rather mediocre, whereas I find OTSOL absolutely dreadful and it doesn't have a single good track.

dafuq?

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »
 :tup to Jupiter Island and

give me, freedom to destroy. give me, radioactive toy.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Does anybody know what effects/pedals Colin Edwin uses predominately? I've never taken an interest in effects in my 10 years of playing, but his sound is so amazing that I would love to get something similar, especiallly Drown With Me, but would love to know what his full set up is.

I realize this was two months ago but...he uses an all EBS board (he's an endorser).  I suggest you search him on the Effects subsection of the TalkBass board; you'll' find a lot of good info there.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
The Incident isn't one of my favorites, the songs range from great to rather mediocre, whereas I find OTSOL absolutely dreadful and it doesn't have a single good track.

dafuq?
Yeah. Even my ''favorites'' on OTSOL are extremely flawed, amateur and average at best in my opinion. I just don't get the album at all.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
i think you can make one good album out of OTSOL & YHD, but SW should have done that in the first place.

actually, if you just drop "Jupiter Island" and "Linton Samuel Dawson" and include "Mute," "Daughters in Excess," "No Reason to Live, No Reason to Die," "Out," "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" and the original "It Will Rain for a Million Years," you'd have a solid little psych album.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
OTSOL is definitely a more fun listen, but with that said, not necessarily better, and I would say The Incident is a better crafted album. But I'd probably take The Nostalgia Factory and Radioactive Toy over the Incident highlights, but that's me.

Agreed!

And yes, I'm also really digging Gavin's album.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »
Just listening to some PT tonight. Yep, now I remember why this is my favorite band (Not like I ever forgot).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
I will absolutely always be a single fucking lonesome little shit in this, but I still think OTSOL is one of Steven's best albums throughout his career, especially under the PT name, but even regarding his solo records. To me, there's something so god damn special about the fact that he treated it as a joke and was utterly and completely nonchalant and relaxed in every single imaginable aspect in regards to the album and how it was conceived, recorded, played, etc. There's something very special about that, and that specific emotion and feeling is not present on any other record in his discography, I don't think. Maybe the next two...maybe...but even then, you can just hear a difference; it became serious and he knew it. On OTSOL, there's a specific freedom heard (from my ears, anyway) that is so completely singular to that album and I fucking love it. It's probably got something to do with Duffy's lyrics as well, which I'll always adore and be fascinated with considering he disappeared from the general social eye of the music industry after this.

And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun will always be one of my favorite songs in existence. It's got about as much importance to my life as DT's A Change Of Seasons. But the album itself has the hits that people have mentioned, but then there's the even more obscure fun like Nine Cats, Footprints and This Long Distance. I love it.

In regards to The Incident, I felt like I knew the whole album before I even turned it on for the first time. It was boring, dull, uninspired, and it really sounded like Wilson was done before it started. I can count on one hand the few moments (not even full songs in most cases) throughout both discs and the bonus the songs/parts of songs in which I really got into and remember. To each their own, but that is the point in which I started to lose hope and then immediately regained it once I heard Wilson's solo stuff. He was like a different person.

Anyway...great stuff throughout until that point, but now I'm just not even wanting or hoping for PT again. Their catalog has one album that I really don't like and it's the one they went out on. In my opinion and experience, any so-called 'comeback album' has been stinky fuckin' shit. Every single one. To me, again. Maybe people liked fuckin' Chinese Democracy, I dunno.  :P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2015, 11:07:13 PM »
I've said it many times in this thread, but The Incident is probably a top 5 PT album for me.

While On the Sunday of Life is my least favorite, I do very much appreciate it for what it is. It's a fun album.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
I also love On the Sunday of Life. It's a lot of fun and has a lot of great stuff on it. Underrated IMO.
I sort of sit between the two of you on The Incident, but I do think it's PT's weakest even though it has some great stuff on it and I don't dislike it.
I really feel like PT albums would've continued to go downhill after that, so I'm glad things ended up the way they did.
I think a lot of people want PT back so badly they'd be willing to take a shit album because the members' hearts wouldn't be in it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
If a PT re-union meant another album like The Incident, I wouldn't be hyped for it. But if the next SW album is another HCE, I wouldn't be hyped for that either. At this point I think both PT and SW has hits and misses, and as long as a new album is a hit, I won't really care if it comes from PT or his solo output. With that said, I do miss the unique sound of PT, which felt more fresh than what he's doing now.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:47 AM »
The Incident was my first PT album, so naturally I really like it.

Meanwhile, all four of Steven's solo albums (and Cover Version, I guess) have sadly been misses for me, soooooo... if they ever do get back together, I'll be hyped.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
I wouldn't mind a PT reunion, but at the same time, it's okay if it doesn't happen, they have a wonderful discography and there's a big selection. It seems SW is so happy with his solo work, so I don't mind seeing more solo albums. I think the best albums he has ever done are Lightbulb Sun and Signify, but Grace for Drowning is probably his 3rd best. HCE was a very cool album, so I like where he's going.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2015, 08:07:52 AM »
I quite enjoy Chinese Democracy